Official Panasonic PX75U / PX77U Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5979 Old 06-07-2007, 07:45 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdee View Post

Another quick question regarding HDMI cable...

I was under the assumption that HDMI covers both your video and audio cords coming from the DVR.....but for me it only covers video and I needed to hook up a separate audio cord to get sound (and with this it only comes thru the TV on the audio setting "analog"...both "digital" and "auto" do nothing)

I don't have a receiver or surround sound system setup yet so just relying on the TV speakers at this time....Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

HDMI does cover both audio as well as video. You didn't say what kind of DVR you have, but when i plug an HDMI cable into my TWC SA8300HD i have to go into the DVR's Audio menu and switch the setting to HDMI in order to get sound to my TV. When i don't have an HDMI cable inserted into the DVR, it knows it and the HDMI audio menu is not there. If i don't enable HDMI in the Audio menu, i get no sound to the TV. Try that on your DVR.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5979 Old 06-07-2007, 07:50 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfiveoh View Post

Panagurl:
Can you direct me how to get to the service menu to check hours? I tried the link posted in the first couple pages of this thread, and I can get to the service menu, but holding down the mute key does nothing....

I know i'm not Panny Girl, but Bruzzi's site now includes instructions for the new Pannys:

http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=15

Don't forget to change the HEX numbers to Decimal numbers as instructed in the post.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
post #363 of 5979 Old 06-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

HDMI does cover both audio as well as video. You didn't say what kind of DVR you have, but when i plug an HDMI cable into my TWC SA8300HD i have to go into the DVR's Audio menu and switch the setting to HDMI in order to get sound to my TV. When i don't have an HDMI cable inserted into the DVR, it knows it and the HDMI audio menu is not there. If i don't enable HDMI in the Audio menu, i get no sound to the TV. Try that on your DVR.

Yep, went into my DVR settings and sure enough I didn't have audio to HDMI. I was looking all over the TV settings trying to figure it out and never thought about the DVR.

Sounding good now! Thanks for all the info.
post #364 of 5979 Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscavezze View Post

I have seen that some posters here have turned this on. How do you do this? I am setting the picture for HDMI 1 which is my DirectTV HD DVR 700. It is set to off and grayed out. So is Color Matrix.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I was wondering this as well (how to turn on the 3D YC feature)
post #365 of 5979 Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 PM

Thanks Randy but I tried that and when I get to the part where I hold down the mute button, the time does not come up, it stays on the service menu.
post #366 of 5979 Old 06-07-2007, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscavezze View Post

I have seen that some posters here have turned this on. How do you do this? I am setting the picture for HDMI 1 which is my DirectTV HD DVR 700. It is set to off and grayed out. So is Color Matrix.

Thanks in advance for any help!

That comb filter is only used for a composite video input source, so the option won't be available except for an input that is such a source. HDMI, s-video, component already have color and luminance separated so don't need the filter. Only analog tuner input or a composite input would have the option available.
post #367 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 AM

Does anyone know if the Costco 42 inch PE77u version has the same features as the regular PX77u version. Specifically the anti gloss coating. I looked at a PE version at costco and really could not tell if it had the coating.

Post Elven Ent
post #368 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHorn View Post

Does anyone know if the Costco 42 inch PE77u version has the same features as the regular PX77u version. Specifically the anti gloss coating. I looked at a PE version at costco and really could not tell if it had the coating.

You'll know if it has the coating or not when you see it...it's more of a matte finish on the screen, and the black frame casing is a high gloss
post #369 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:

I see. So does it stand to reason that I can have my new plasma's video signal going from my sources (sat box and DVD player) through HDMI and have the audio signal going to my old receiver via composite since it does not have HDMI? I thought I'd have to run component cables for video since my receiver can only accept composite, if that makes sense.
post #370 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=843402

we were discussing it here. It doesnt mention an antiglare coating in the manual, i saw it in person and it was hard to tell. The stand is a duckfoot different than the PX
post #371 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 07:36 AM

Well I took a good long look at the reflections off of the PE version compared to other plasma set up and can't really say it looked any different.

But from the Panny web site:

TH-42PE77U Owners Manual

TH-42PE77U
NEW! 42" Diagonal Plasma HDTV with Anti-Reflection Coating, EZ Sync HDAVI Control, Built-in GalleryPlayer®-Capable SD Card Memory Slot and Side-Firing Speakers

I guess second look is in order. The owners manual are basically identical. The only difference is the base on the PX seems to be a few pounds heaver.

Post Elven Ent
post #372 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfiveoh View Post

Thanks Randy but I tried that and when I get to the part where I hold down the mute button, the time does not come up, it stays on the service menu.

Highlight the position where the time count would be displayed, then press and hold mute.
post #373 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 07:45 AM

Voodoo,
Why do you want to run component to your receiver and then to the TV? Usually people do that only because they don't have enough inputs on their TV so they use their receiver to switch the video (and of course audio) being set to the TV. In the PX75/77U case, you should have plenty of inputs on the back for you sat box and DVD player.

Is your receiver Pro Logic or is it 5.1 (or higher)? If it's only Pro Logic, then you can run you audio/video through either HDMI and/or component to your TV, and then use the analog output on the back of the TV to run the audio back to your receiver. That way, one pair of audio cables and one receiver input covers you for all sources. Of course, this won't work if you are trying to preserve 5.1 audio.
post #374 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 AM

I checked the 42pe77u out in Costco the other day and could have swarn it was a matte finish vs 50px77U i saw in glossy piano black. anyone?
post #375 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

That comb filter is only used for a composite video input source, so the option won't be available except for an input that is such a source. HDMI, s-video, component already have color and luminance separated so don't need the filter. Only analog tuner input or a composite input would have the option available.

That makes sense to me, except that I have seen more than a few people that are setting this option and reporting that their picture is excellent.......but you can't get HD through composite, only component and hdmi, correct?
post #376 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb0 View Post

Voodoo,
Why do you want to run component to your receiver and then to the TV? Usually people do that only because they don't have enough inputs on their TV so they use their receiver to switch the video (and of course audio) being set to the TV. In the PX75/77U case, you should have plenty of inputs on the back for you sat box and DVD player.

Is your receiver Pro Logic or is it 5.1 (or higher)? If it's only Pro Logic, then you can run you audio/video through either HDMI and/or component to your TV, and then use the analog output on the back of the TV to run the audio back to your receiver. That way, one pair of audio cables and one receiver input covers you for all sources. Of course, this won't work if you are trying to preserve 5.1 audio.

That's the problem. I have a new TV, new Oppo DVD player and HD satellite receiver but a 10 year old receiver (for the time being). I haven't hooked it all up yet, but if I can use HDMI as a video-only cable, that would be ideal since HDMI is the best possible video connection. I can do this, correct?
post #377 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post

I checked the 42pe77u out in Costco the other day and could have sworn it was a matte finish vs 50px77U i saw in glossy piano black. anyone?

Matte finish would be great ! I don't like the shiny mirror-like piano black finish like the Pioneers and now the new Panasonics. My HP LCD TV has a piano black bezel and it's extremely distracting during the daytime or at night with the lights on medium.

I hope one of my 4 local Costcos gets some of these in so i can look at the bezel, and confirm if the screen has the regular Anti-Reflective coating or the better Anti-Glare coating (but i suspect Jaybar is correct in his assesment that the PE77 has the regular Anti-Reflective coating like the PX75U and PX60U and PX50U . . . .

Randy
post #378 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo1717 View Post

That's the problem. I have a new TV, new Oppo DVD player and HD satellite receiver but a 10 year old receiver (for the time being). I haven't hooked it all up yet, but if I can use HDMI as a video-only cable, that would be ideal since HDMI is the best possible video connection. I can do this, correct?

Correct. That's what I do: all my video sources go into the various inputs on the TV, and all my audio sources go into the various inputs on my old receiver.

Someday I'd like to upgrade to an HDMI-switching receiver because it's so much more convenient to have both audio and video switching in one place. However, I think I'll wait to see how HDMI standards shake out; they're notoriously bad right now leading to a lot of switching problems between different vendors, models, and technologies.

The only concern some people have when setting it up the way I do is that the audio can get out of sync with the video. I haven't had that problem except on one channel, which is attributable to the broadcaster not my setup.
post #379 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 09:08 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Well I took a good long look at the reflections off of the PE version compared to other plasma set up and can't really say it looked any different.

And that goes along with Jaybar's assement that the PE77 he saw in Costco does not have the new super duper Anti-Glare coating. I looked at some of the new PZ700U models with the Anti-Reflective coating, and compared the reflectivity to regular Panasonics (among other brands) and came to the conclusion that the coating is the same as they've been using for at least the past 3 years, including my own PX50. In one store i turned the PZ700U and PX75U off and critically compared the reflection of the stores lighting, bank of front windows, and shelving and people and stuff in both screens and both TVs were identically reflective and indistinguishable from one another. And the Pioneer PDP-5071 on the same wall was a little less reflective than both these new Panasonics.

Quote:

But from the Panny web site: TH-42PE77U
NEW! 42" Diagonal Plasma HDTV with Anti-Reflection Coating......I guess second look is in order. The owners manual are basically identical. The only difference is the base on the PX seems to be a few pounds heaver.

It should be made more clear that their new Anti-Glare coating on the PX77U is different and more effective than their regular Anti-Reflective coating on all their other models.

Randy
post #380 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo1717 View Post

Yeah, like RoxGenghis said, that will work fine. I think that your Oppo and probably your sat box will output audio simultaneously over the HDMI and the analog L/R stereo outputs. These can be run to your receiver so that you can get audio from both your sound system and through the TV speakers. Of course it means more cables running around behind your equipment, but if that's what works...
post #381 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Ended up getting the 42 inch PX75U, looks great - though the audio is giving me a hard time. I'm wondering if the TV cannot do surround pass-through.

Digital cable box, HDMI to the TV, optical to receiver. Only getting stereo signal (in PCM which is weird since the cable box is sending dolby digital). I tried switching the cable box to PCM, but for some reason it won't stick. Cable box to receiver directly results in a 5.1 signal.

Panasonic customer service recommended switching to RCA red/white cables, which is sort of comical.
post #382 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I hope one of my 4 local Costcos gets some of these in so i can look at the bezel, and confirm if the screen has the regular Anti-Reflective coating or the better Anti-Glare coating (but i suspect Jaybar is correct in his assesment that the PE77 has the regular Anti-Reflective coating like the PX75U and PX60U and PX50U . . . .

It is like the PX75U, not the PX77U. I have the PE77U at home right now and it does not have the anit-glare coating that the PX77U has. I went to my local Magnolia Hi-Fi a couple days ago and looked at the PX77U, it's not like my PE77U. The PE77U is still a glossy/reflective glass, not a matted screen like the PX77U. However, it does do a better job of reducing glare then my 3 year old Pioneer.

Edit: I forgot to add that there are a couple stickers covering up small parts of the box on the PE77U. Peeling back those stickers revealed the Anti-Glare/Relective coating feature, like it was going to be on the PE77U model and they decided not to at the last minute.
post #383 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:

It should be made more clear that their new Anti-Glare coating on the PX77U is different and more effective than their regular Anti-Reflective coating on all their other models.

Exactly, very vague on words, i sent an email to Panny to get some clarification but i'm sure it will take them a week to get back and they wont know what the heck i'm talking about...

So now i'm in a predicament, I can get the 50PX77U through EPP with a fat discount, but deal with the hassle of delivery or wait for the 50PE77U to hit costco shelves (1-3 weeks) and not get the new anti-glare coating, and have the luxury of returning it (probably around the same pricepoint but not sure. The 42 inch in Costco is the same as i can get on the EPP site)....hmmm decisions, decisions..what do you guys think?
post #384 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 AM

The PX77 uses an anti-glare screen to diffuse light so it virtually eliminates direct light sources reflections, much like an LCD TV so it appears to have slightly less detail and contrast as compared to the PX75. The PX75 is great for average-to-low light environments and the PX77 is better for brighter or harsher light environments.
post #385 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by weese View Post

I'm wondering if the TV cannot do surround pass-through.

TV does not pass-thru 5.1, you have to run it from cable box directly to receiver.
post #386 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was surprised that the PX75 series has a remote that does not control other equipment. From the manual, it looks like the PE77 series does have a universal remote feature for controlling DVD players and VCR's. Another difference. Maybe the 75 vs 77 difference also refers to the remote?

Art in Seattle
post #387 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 11:31 AM

I just came back from Costco and spent a bit of time examining the TH-42PE77u. It definitely does not have the Anti-Glare coating that is featured on the PX77u. In addition the cabinet of the PE77u is a matte black, different than the high-gloss black of the PX77u.
post #388 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 11:39 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

But from the Panny web site:

TH-42PE77U Owners Manual

TH-42PE77U
NEW! 42" Diagonal Plasma HDTV with Anti-Reflection Coating, EZ Sync HDAVI Control, Built-in GalleryPlayer®-Capable SD Card Memory Slot and Side-Firing Speakers

Funny how they have this information when you go to download the manual, but they don't show the PE models in their list of Consumer models

Randy
post #389 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Hello.

I just purchased the Panasonic TH-42PX75U and I am very pleased with the performance of the set, right out of the box. All I did was turn the video setting down from "vivid" to "standard" and viewed the following sources...

- Local HD (free) network television, and digital/analog standard-def programming.
- HD Video Games on the XBOX 360.
- HD-DVD's ("King Kong", and "We Were Soldiers) played thru the XBOX 360's add-on HD-DVD Drive ($199 Microsoft).

Everything looked great!

But like anything else, it can be better, so now I want to tweak the settings.

I just found a CNET review/article of the 77U (same set with anti-glare coating) which suggested these adjustments...

Normal: No
Picture mode: Custom
Picture: +20
Brightness: +11
Color: -4
Tint: -1
Sharpness: -30
Color temp.: Warm
Color mgmt.: Off
Zoom adjust: N/A

Other adjust menu
Video NR: Off
3D Y/C filter: Off
Color matrix: HD
MPEG NR: Off
Black level: Light

SOURCE: I tried to post the CNET source link but the forum won't let me until I make 5 posts.

I'm going to try the settings now. I will report back.
post #390 of 5979 Old 06-08-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam-hd View Post

I just found a CNET review/article of the 77U (same set with anti-glare coating) which suggested these adjustments...

Same error as the settings quoted so frequently all last year from an early magazine review for the 2006 models:

These settings are for optimum test lab measurements, not optimum viewing. Since plasmas don't suffer from blooming or white crush (at least for the Panasonics), you get the best contrast measurement by turning the intensity way up. However that settings is way too bright for normal viewing in the home.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px77u 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page