Official Panasonic PX75U / PX77U Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5981 Old 06-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post

I have had my 42px75 in a fairly dark room for the last 2 months and these are the settings that I am pretty happy with:

Mode: Standard
Pic: +20
Brightness: 0
Color: -3
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -25
Temp: Normal
Black level: Light

A lot of people have Brightness set to around +10, but I find that far too bright for my tastes. The various on/off settings seem to have minimal effect to me.

For those asking about "clay face", I saw some on occasion when I had a progressive DVD player connected through component (turning up brightness a few notches got rid of most of it). I recently got a new DVD player with HDMI (Panasonic SC-PT650, with 5.1 speakers (now I have great audio to go with the great video)), and I haven't seen any clay face since.

These settings look better on the HD feeds and MUCH MUCH better on the SD feeds. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5981 Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 AM

I looked at the Costco PE77U yesterday. Did not like the matt finish at all. Kind of reminded me of the finish on a wet/dry vac! Looked very cheap, to me anyhow.
post #453 of 5981 Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 AM

Any consensus about which feed is better on 50PX75U? 720p or 1080i?
post #454 of 5981 Old 06-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Boot View Post

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but from everything I've read is that there is no noticeable difference between 720p and 1080i and most recommend to just keep the settings at 720p so it's not working so hard in outputting the signal.
post #455 of 5981 Old 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM

I'm joining the club. I just purchased the 50PX77U,. This is my first HD purchase so please bear with me and pardon the ignorance, can someone explain what type of HDMI/DVI cables I should get. I'm going to get them through one of our forum sponsers so if you can tell me the exact cables that would be great.

1) For the meantime my Comcast Cable box will be right below the TV, only a few feet, if that below the TV. Can i connect this via HDMI-DVI?
2) My DVD player is archaic and will look to upgrade that in the near future. I'll probably use the 2nd port for that player
3) Should i spend the money on a surge protector, i'm assuming this is a no brainer?
4) If your forum sponsers have two qualities i would lean towards the higher quality.

thx in advance
post #456 of 5981 Old 06-12-2007, 01:02 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Boot View Post

It will come down to personal preference. On my older PX50U, the HD image is crisper and more detailed when i set my Tivo S3 and my SA8300HD to output all the 720p and 1080i HD channels at only 1080i. If i select only 720p, the images are softer and less detailed. It's a pretty big difference on my TV. My GF sees the same effect on my PX50, but she prefers the softer image with everything on 720p. I like the more detailed 1080i signal myself.

Try it both way and see if you can tell the difference, and if so see which one you prefer more.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #457 of 5981 Old 06-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post

I'm joining the club. I just purchased the 50PX77U,. This is my first HD purchase so please bear with me and pardon the ignorance, can someone explain what type of HDMI/DVI cables I should get. I'm going to get them through one of our forum sponsers so if you can tell me the exact cables that would be great.

1) For the meantime my Comcast Cable box will be right below the TV, only a few feet, if that below the TV. Can i connect this via HDMI-DVI?
2) My DVD player is archaic and will look to upgrade that in the near future. I'll probably use the 2nd port for that player
3) Should i spend the money on a surge protector, i'm assuming this is a no brainer?
4) If your forum sponsers have two qualities i would lean towards the higher quality.

thx in advance

1) You can get HDMI cables in lengths from 1' to 100'. If wall mounting, I would run a 10'. If not, 3' or 6' will do.

3)It is worth spending $20 to protect a $2000+ investment.

4)Monoprice is the bomb. Nuff said. Just get the gold plated. Super cheap and super fast!
post #458 of 5981 Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscavezze View Post

PM me and I will tell you where I bought mine.

I can tell you here.. I got mine online at CC and got it for a little over 2K- other stores still sell it for 2300! on sale!

Anyways, if there are any issues you can easily return, like my Samsung 5054 because the base to the TV sucked and it leaned forward.

I like the Panny a lot. It is in a very bright room and it still has glare, but it is def. better than most tvs. All in all, I wish there were more adjustments for the picture, but it is very nice, some greens come off bad (CNET was correct) and there is some false contoring, but unless you are a serious videophile it isn't bad.

I could just use a 60"!

Anyone have any suggestions for a good DVD Recorder- I got the panny 25S I think it is called for really cheap and I see mixed reviews, but I think I am just going to keep it- although if there are any that give exceptional upconverting let me know.

Also should I be worried that this tv is not FULL HD? Does this really matter for 5+ years? HD programming looks awsome, if I got a 1080p would it look better?

Thanks all,

B
post #459 of 5981 Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost It All View Post

Thanks a lot! Very much appreciated. I really can't say enough great things about these boards here and the amount of helpful people.

The 42px77u does come with a universal remote. It has buttons for TV, DVD, VCR, Cable.
post #460 of 5981 Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 PM

Jaybar:
Here is the page for the DVI/HDMI cables you'll need for your comcast box:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10231&style=
You'll also need to run audio cables (the DVI out on your comcast box does not output audio)
Here is the page for audio cables:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10218&style=
(go with the premium)
I have these running from my comcast box to the PX5077U and it works great.
post #461 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfiveoh View Post

Jaybar:
Here is the page for the DVI/HDMI cables you'll need for your comcast box:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10231&style=
You'll also need to run audio cables (the DVI out on your comcast box does not output audio)
Here is the page for audio cables:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10218&style=
(go with the premium)
I have these running from my comcast box to the PX5077U and it works great.

Thanks Dave,
so i basically run an HDMI/DVI (HDMI plugged into the back of the TV) (DVI plugged into the box) and audio cables running from TV to box. can you explain why i cant run an HDMI/HDMI from Box to TV. Isnt DVI for audio? Remember this stuff is foreign to me.. thx
post #462 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtskiguy30 View Post

I can tell you here.. I got mine online at CC and got it for a little over 2K- other stores still sell it for 2300! on sale!

Anyways, if there are any issues you can easily return, like my Samsung 5054 because the base to the TV sucked and it leaned forward.

I like the Panny a lot. It is in a very bright room and it still has glare, but it is def. better than most tvs. All in all, I wish there were more adjustments for the picture, but it is very nice, some greens come off bad (CNET was correct) and there is some false contoring, but unless you are a serious videophile it isn't bad.

I could just use a 60"!

Anyone have any suggestions for a good DVD Recorder- I got the panny 25S I think it is called for really cheap and I see mixed reviews, but I think I am just going to keep it- although if there are any that give exceptional upconverting let me know.

Also should I be worried that this tv is not FULL HD? Does this really matter for 5+ years? HD programming looks awsome, if I got a 1080p would it look better?

Thanks all,

B

I didn't want to talk about pricing in the thread as it is forbidden, but let's just say I got mine for a few hundred less than that...
post #463 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 07:33 AM

I am a little concerned with the SD performance on my plasma. I watched the finals of the French Open, and I would describe the picture as barely adequate. I had all my settings flat and was stretching it, but it was still pretty bad after I went 4:3 for a minute and tweaked the settings a little. I realize that this is most likely not the fault of the TV, but there are any suggestions for improving SD performance? I bought this TV partly because its SD performance was superior to most other brands.
post #464 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Jaybar:
If you have a standard Comcast HD box, it will only have DVI out (Digital Vidieo Interface, no audio) If you have their DVR (Digital Video Recorder) box, it has HDMI out, and will transmit the audio signal to your TV.
The back of your box will have the type of output stamped next to each output if your not sure.
post #465 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 08:47 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo1717 View Post

I am a little concerned with the SD performance on my plasma. I watched the finals of the French Open, and I would describe the picture as barely adequate. I had all my settings flat and was stretching it, but it was still pretty bad after I went 4:3 for a minute and tweaked the settings a little. I realize that this is most likely not the fault of the TV, but there are any suggestions for improving SD performance? I bought this TV partly because its SD performance was superior to most other brands.

What is your TV source? If it's Satellite that would explain the poor SD performance as they overly-compress their signal compared to most Cable divisions. The Panasonics display SD better than anything else out there besides Pioneer and Fujitsu so poor SD performance is almost always because of the source or signal.

Another problem is that people upgrade from say a 27" tube TV (which kinda masks the poor SD signal) to a 42" or even worse a 50" bigscreen TV which blows up the image and exposes the flaws.

So what is your SD source?

What SD channel were you watching?

Which model/size Plasma did you buy?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #466 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I have Time Warner digital cable, and I'm surprised at the quality of the SD picture. I think their digital feed really improves the quality. I upgraded to their digital feed 2 years ago from their analog feed and was able to immediately see the difference on my old 25" CRT.

Hook up an outside antenna and compare to your current feed.

BTW, that French Open feed was pretty lousy.
post #467 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtskiguy30 View Post

some greens come off bad (CNET was correct)
Thanks all,

B

I got my 50PX75U 2 weeks ago and have been fiddling with the settings to get the green right, or adjusting out too much green. I find some sources are worse than others. I focus on skin tones and whites. DVDs are great. Discovery HD is usually awesome. Some Dodger games I have trouble getting the grass (greeen) and dirt (reddish brown) to match up correctly. I've been there so I know what they should look like. Yesterday's NBA game seemed to have a green cast on the white jerseys, which I was able to adjust to an acceptable level. When I eventually get a setting I like I'll post my settings.

BTW, is there a difference starting with standard vs. custom? In other words, is a setting of 10 brightness or 0 color the same for standard vs. custom?
post #468 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I have an SD dish dvr feeding my 42px75U via s-video and it looked horrible until I turned the sharpness down. I think it looks great now.
post #469 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post

For those asking about "clay face", I saw some on occasion when I had a progressive DVD player connected through component (turning up brightness a few notches got rid of most of it). I recently got a new DVD player with HDMI (Panasonic SC-PT650, with 5.1 speakers (now I have great audio to go with the great video)), and I haven't seen any clay face since.

I was messing around with my settings today and now I remember it wasn't the DVD player causing the clayface, but rather that I was using Cinema mode with the brightness set low. The problem was that when I turned up the brightness to get rid of the clayface, everything else looked a bit washed out. I switched over to Standard which got rid of the clay, though the blacks aren't quite as black compared to the settings I was using in Cinema. Please nobody take these comments to be major flaws with the tv. They are minor nitpicks, I have been very happy and would recommend this years Pannys to anyone

I did an eyeball comparison of the 3 modes and found these settings to be roughly comparable on the 42PX75U:

Mode: Vivid
Pic: +6
Brightness: +11
Color: -1
Temp: Warm

Mode: Standard
Pic: +20
Brightness: 0
Color: -3

Mode: Cinema
Pic: +22
Brightness: +9
Color: -2

Not claiming these as perfect settings, but they are certainly good starting points for each of the picture modes.

I took a closer look at MPEG NR and and did notice an improvement with it turned on. The differences where fairly obvious when I used a freeze frame of some people in a dark scene for comparison.

Happy Tweaking!
post #470 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 02:12 PM

Anyone using the Harmony remote control with the 50PX77u. If so, do you have the discrete code for the HDMI inputs. I cannot seem to find them in the Harmony database
post #471 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The SD performance on my PX75u is TERRIBLE. Especially in the detail of faces with just about any SD OTA or SAT signal. Not sure if this is the clayface or not. Probably not since HD looks great. Some HD content (like ESPN HD baseball games) that is also broadcast on a SD channel usually looks better but for the most part the performance in SD has been just plain bad.

I had it side by side next to a Philips in my living room for a weekend. I actually enjoyed the SD pictures from SAT with that set so it is not just due to the Direct TV compression. I returned the Philips because of reliability issues but it clearly showed you could get good SD pictures from SAT which I am unable to get from the Panny.

Since these new Pannys allow different setups for each input it would be interesting to see if the settings people are using for SD are significantly different from those for HD.

Unfortunately our local ABC is still broadcasting in SD and too much of my viewing is still in SD (though the two hockey games shown in HD last week - and just about the only ones in HD all year - were spectacular).

Still on the fence on whether to return this TV because of bad SD.
post #472 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytvguy View Post

I got my 50PX75U 2 weeks ago and have been fiddling with the settings to get the green right, or adjusting out too much green. I find some sources are worse than others. I focus on skin tones and whites. DVDs are great. Discovery HD is usually awesome. Some Dodger games I have trouble getting the grass (greeen) and dirt (reddish brown) to match up correctly. I've been there so I know what they should look like. Yesterday's NBA game seemed to have a green cast on the white jerseys, which I was able to adjust to an acceptable level. When I eventually get a setting I like I'll post my settings.

BTW, is there a difference starting with standard vs. custom? In other words, is a setting of 10 brightness or 0 color the same for standard vs. custom?

I made the same observatons about getting both the grass and infield dirt right at the same time previously. Nice to see a confirmation that someone else is having the same problem. The grass either looked too Easter egg green or the dirt looked too reddish clay. Adjusting the tint could not get both right at the same time. Wratching down the color helped but took all life out of the picture.
post #473 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Honest opinions? Is the PX75U better then the Sammy 5054? And why? (I'm trying to decide between these two sets soon.) Thanks!

52XBR4
55HX929
post #474 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:

I don't know how long you've had you set...I've had mine since early May and watched lots of HD and SD. The French Open final was by far the worst SD I've ever seen. It was terrible. No idea why...must be really crappy French cameras or bad satellites or something. Most other SD has been fine or actually quite good (e.g. History Channel, Military History Channel, AMC, Turner movies, Science Channel, USA, etc)

btw..I have Verizon FiOS.
post #475 of 5981 Old 06-13-2007, 08:02 PM

Liked: 12
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the quality of SD on my week old 5075U.
I have it getting component feed from a Star choice (Canadian satellite) HD receiver and I have to say that the SD is really very good. I do see variations that are clearly the result of the channel and there is no way to tell who is going to have a "great" signal, but I would say that the Panny is at least as good (if not better than my Hitachi 51S500 CRT RPTV (which had a pretty good rep. for handling SD content).
At this point I have picture & brightness at zero for break-in and I still think it's good.
I think a lot of the problems out there are based on poor quality signal that providers have been able to pass off in the past. Now the sets are so good they expose all the shortcomings of the source material. (G.I.G.O.)
post #476 of 5981 Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyoo99 View Post

Anyone using the Harmony remote control with the 50PX77u. If so, do you have the discrete code for the HDMI inputs. I cannot seem to find them in the Harmony database

I am... you don't need the discrete code, all you have to do is tell the Harmony software WHICH input you're using on the 77u for a given source and it will send the right code.

Hope this helps...

Craig
post #477 of 5981 Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 AM

I ordered the TH-42PX75U from Frys on Tuesday night, around 11:00PM EST. It showed up on my doorstep Thursday afternoon. Shipped via DHL.

Very happy with them, and I couldn't beat the price anywhere....

For the money, its a great set.
post #478 of 5981 Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 PM

My 42PX77U shows up tomorrow. Can't wait. I'm curious for those that know.... I will be going from a 4/5 year old 30" Samsung CRT (1080i - one of the cheaper HD models at the time) to the 42 PX77U. I know everyone says you can't beat CRT for images but will the image from my soon to arrive 42 PX77U beat the old/er Samsung CRT???
post #479 of 5981 Old 06-14-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

What is your TV source? If it's Satellite that would explain the poor SD performance as they overly-compress their signal compared to most Cable divisions. The Panasonics display SD better than anything else out there besides Pioneer and Fujitsu so poor SD performance is almost always because of the source or signal.

Another problem is that people upgrade from say a 27" tube TV (which kinda masks the poor SD signal) to a 42" or even worse a 50" bigscreen TV which blows up the image and exposes the flaws.

So what is your SD source?

What SD channel were you watching?

Which model/size Plasma did you buy?

My SD source is Dish, I have a 50PX75U and was watching the French Open, which was terrible.

SD performance has been better on other channels, but it could stand to be better. After seeing the responses in this thread, I am strongly considering switching from Dish to Comcast. SD performance is crucial, and with Dish not offering local HD in my area...well, that's just the nail in the coffin. It's too bad because Dish's HD offering is amazingly extensive compared to Comcast's.
post #480 of 5981 Old 06-14-2007, 01:54 PM

The French Open was a disaster on NBC. It was shot in 16:9 then NBC cut it down to 4:3 480i. It was hard to watch after the 16:9 version that was on ESPN2 up until the finals.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px77u 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page