Official Panasonic PX75U / PX77U Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 5981 Old 05-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Member
 
blding_THX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Follow up on my sound delima (if you want to call it that), I did some DD and found that my Center Channel speaker distance is set to 14 feet, which equals 14 ms according to the Owners Manual on my Sony ES amp. So, with the 14ms advancement on sound I am listening to synced audio off of my Directv DRV...obviously this is another discussion, but this has nothing to do with the Panny - since it is subject to the HDMI shortcomings like the rest of the plasma's on the market with HDMI connectivity.

If your truely interested in great sound for any plasma, there is no substitute for well built floor standing and a large heavy center channel speakers hooked up to high quality amp...I trust Klipsch.

Regardless, the 77U has decent sound for most broadcasts, and the HDMI sync issue is barely noticable.
blding_THX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 5981 Old 05-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Member
 
blding_THX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back to the subject, As I already mentioned I watched LOST last night. I've been to Kauai and partly enjoy the show due to the scenery. Since the talking idiot over at Cnet knocked the 50 inch panny 77U on its ability to produce an accurate green, I was overly focused on the green landscapes on last nights episode. Well, I was very satified with the 77U's ability to produce green, I wouldn't dare say that the green is off, or even "poor".

Again, I'm using the settings I previously posted and all the colors are saturated and vibrant, the detail is eye-popping, and you catch yourself ooling over the picture rather than following the story. I have flipped it over to Dicovery HD a few times just to check out the picture.

I would like to hear from anyone who thinks the green is off - or poor on the Panny.

Any thoughts?
blding_THX is offline  
post #93 of 5981 Old 05-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Cowgirlinthesand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorexx View Post

There are several discussion around anti-glare on these Pannys but I have not read anything directly comparing the 50px75u to the 50px77u. Reading through the strings it appears everyone loves the 50px77u antiglare and CNET review confirms that it works well. I am ready to purchase a 50" panny; I have been to several stores and they all only carry the 50px75u but a couple said they could order in the 77U. Not a big fan of ordering the 77U sight unseen.

Has anyone seen these two side by side that can comment on the antiglare differences between the 2 models? I also read somewhere that the panels are identical that the anti-glare is just not marketed on the 75U, but I can't find that string now.

It isn't even close...the 77U is light years better than the 75U re: glare. The bottom line is that the 77U looks almost as good as any LCD you've seen. I can't imagine why Panasonic did not put this coating on ALL the 2007 sets (because the coating on the 700U looks just like the 75U, i.e. not good).

I own the 77U and continue to love it. For a bright room, and someone who prefers plasma like me, this is the set to get.

Also, to contribute to two other topics, 1) the sound on this TV is excellent. I had the Sharp LCD (52D62) and I found the sound was a tad tinny and less robust. This 77U Panny has nice bass and a full rounded sound. I really like it. and 2) I had noticed the greens looked a tad yellowish during Met games, but not on things like Lost or Discovery programs. I flipped on the color mgmt tool in the menu (manual says this enhances blues and greens especially in outdoor scenes) and VOILA!, problem solved.
Cowgirlinthesand is offline  
post #94 of 5981 Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,683
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by blding_THX View Post

Since the talking idiot over at Cnet knocked the 50 inch panny 77U on its ability to produce an accurate green, I was overly focused on the green landscapes on last nights episode. Well, I was very satified with the 77U's ability to produce green, I wouldn't dare say that the green is off, or even "poor".

At CNET, they do a calibration and use instrumention to MEASURE the color accuracy. You can't see this stuff unless you are highly trained or have color filters and reference material. It's not like you're sitting there watching TV and the green leaves of trees look blue or yellow.

Moreover, CNET said the color accuracy "left little to be desired" and only said green was "a tad too yellowish". These are very minor, extremely subtle quibbles when rating high end equipment that 99% of people would never notice. Something like this, you are almost certain to never be able to notice unless, for example, it's sitting next to a calibrated Pio FHD1 for reference.

That's like reading a professional review saying that the grayscale tracking was slightly innacurate, and then saying, "gee whiz, I was watching TV and gray looks great to me!"

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #95 of 5981 Old 05-18-2007, 06:03 AM
Newbie
 
dmatrix7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so I went to my local Future Shop and talked to the guys there. The 77u is available in their warehouse in Ontario and will be in the stores next week. They list the msrp at $3499.99 which is way higher then the msrp at panasonic's web site which is $2799.99. So I told them this and asked if they can match the price, sure enough they did. So I ended up getting the 77u at panasonic's pricing instead of futureshop's crazy marked up pricing. Should be delivered end of next week.
dmatrix7 is offline  
post #96 of 5981 Old 05-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Member
 
jerryk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatrix7 View Post

Ok, so I went to my local Future Shop and talked to the guys there. The 77u is available in their warehouse in Ontario and will be in the stores next week. They list the msrp at $3499.99 which is way higher then the msrp at panasonic's web site which is $2799.99. So I told them this and asked if they can match the price, sure enough they did. So I ended up getting the 77u at panasonic's pricing instead of futureshop's crazy marked up pricing. Should be delivered end of next week.


How big is the 77U?

Also, I assume the prices are in CAD.
jerryk is offline  
post #97 of 5981 Old 05-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Newbie
 
dw0827's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk View Post

How big is the 77U?

Also, I assume the prices are in CAD.

42" and 50" PX77U
dw0827 is offline  
post #98 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 06:14 AM
Member
 
evan1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am so so so close to pullng the trigger oow. Randy helped me a few pages back on viewing d istances and all. I'm about 8-9 feet away and thinking of 58'' Panny 600U and 50 inch Panny 77u and 700U (for 1080P).

How does the 77U do on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Is it nearly as awesome as it looks in BB and Tweeter on 700u? 700U looks just as good as the 9K Pioneer Elite PRO-HD1, which is now going for $6K in my local Tweeter.

I am so confused and have to make a decision within next two weeks on my set. I think 50 is big enough, though I'm coming out of a 65-inch Mitsu rear projection. The new stuff is just so much sharper.

Does the 77U accept 1080P signals and downconvert them?
evan1229 is offline  
post #99 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
itigap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC area
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1229 View Post

I am so so so close to pullng the trigger oow. Randy helped me a few pages back on viewing d istances and all. I'm about 8-9 feet away and thinking of 58'' Panny 600U and 50 inch Panny 77u and 700U (for 1080P).

How does the 77U do on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Is it nearly as awesome as it looks in BB and Tweeter on 700u? 700U looks just as good as the 9K Pioneer Elite PRO-HD1, which is now going for $6K in my local Tweeter.

I am so confused and have to make a decision within next two weeks on my set. I think 50 is big enough, though I'm coming out of a 65-inch Mitsu rear projection. The new stuff is just so much sharper.

Does the 77U accept 1080P signals and downconvert them?

While 58" is significantly larger than 50" (area), either will work well at you viewing distance. The 58" does produce for me a lot more impact, that big-screen look.

The 700u, however, brings in a whole different set of considerations. To begin with, a 1080p display will allow you to scoot up close and still enjoy a sharp picture without SDE so you can really get that wide-angle theater-like experience when you want. Great for action movies and other stuff that a big theater screen enhances.

Perhaps more important though is a 1080p display's ability in many instances to show a picture using less processing and in many cases showing a signal in 1:1. 1:1 mapping is a very powerful contributor to PQ regardless of the viewing distance. With the emergence of HQV-level processors now in players and soon in receivers, more source signals will become available to the display in 1080p format. The ability of a display to show these "as is" without further scaling will really take PQ to a new level.

I don't know the details on the 700u's ability to accept and display various 1080p signals, for instance 1080p/24 vs 1080p/60, but if it can accept both and allow 1:1 via HDMI, then I would carefully consider this.

Of course one delima is that 1080p makes even more sense, for other than processing reasons, the larger the screen. But when you combine high resolution with size you get $$$. At least Panny has come out with sane prices as compared to last year's Pioneer and hopefully they too will drop fast between now and end of the year.

Cheers,

Gary
itigap is offline  
post #100 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Member
 
plasmaone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My understanding is that the price for the 5077u of $2795.00 is USD since it is on the american panasonic website instead of the canadian one.

If you got the 77u for this price canadian that is a hell of a deal! You may want to clarify the price since I think you are asking them to match the American price and I don't think FS would do that.
plasmaone is offline  
post #101 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 01:36 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1229 View Post

I am so so so close to pullng the trigger oow. Randy helped me a few pages back on viewing d istances and all. I'm about 8-9 feet away and thinking of 58'' Panny 600U and 50 inch Panny 77u and 700U (for 1080P)......

I would think that you'd see the dreaded SDE big-time on a 58" 768p at your viewing distance. On my friend's 50" Panny i see SDE at 11 feet so i imagine a bigger screen would be even worse. I sit 8-9 feet from my 42" 768p set and if i lean forward in my chair SDE appears, but goes away when i sit back. You should go to some stores with a tapemeasure and look for SDE at 9 feet on the 58" model to be sure, but i don't see how you can't not see it at 9 feet.

I'd think the 50" 1080p set would be better at 9 feet despite being smaller, unless you really really need that immersive big-screen experience and aren't bothered by or can't see SDE on the 58 incher.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #102 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Newbie
 
dw0827's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I give. Whats SDE?
dw0827 is offline  
post #103 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Member
 
evan1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Randy and Gary thanks. I have only one other concern: the glare properties of the 700U vs 77U. I have a bright room. The plasma will sit on a wall with windows on the left and right side of it. Moving further out, there's a bank of four windows and a door, all covered with wood blinds, to the left of the plasma. So (XXs being windows, and i hope this shows correctly). Is the 700U gonna be able to handle the windows you think?

XX PLASMA XX


XX
XX
DOOR
XX
XX
evan1229 is offline  
post #104 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 02:56 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post

Ok, I give. Whats SDE?

SDE is the Screen Door Effect that you get when you move close enough to the screen that you start to see the pixel structure. It literally looks like you're looking through a screen door. As you move further away your eyes can no longer resolve the pixel structure and the image smooths out. I'm more sensitive to it than most other people.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #105 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 03:04 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1229 View Post

Randy and Gary thanks. I have only one other concern: the glare properties of the 700U vs 77U. I have a bright room. The plasma will sit on a wall with windows on the left and right side of it. Moving further out, there's a bank of four windows and a door, all covered with wood blinds, to the left of the plasma. So (XXs being windows, and i hope this shows correctly). Is the 700U gonna be able to handle the windows you think?

Without seeing pics of the room with the sunlight at it's worst it's hard to say if reflections will be a problem or not.

If you can't see SDE on a 50" 720p set at 8-9 feet set then you may have to choose the PX77U for it's Anti-Glare screen if reflections will be a problem.

Here's a few good threads which might give you an idea if you'll have a problem or not...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769318

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post10529369

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #106 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Member
 
WLSINWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaone View Post

My understanding is that the price for the 5077u of $2795.00 is USD since it is on the american panasonic website instead of the canadian one.

If you got the 77u for this price canadian that is a hell of a deal! You may want to clarify the price since I think you are asking them to match the American price and I don't think FS would do that.

Actually the 5077u is on sale at CC for much less than that and is on most of the online sites too. I just pulled the trigger on one at CC. They do have to special order it but it should be here by Friday.
Price aside I felt the 50inch 720p Panny 77u was a better fit for me at this time because most of the TV I currently watch is either SD or standard DVD and I currently have a 42" HD RPCRT Toshiba that is 5 years old. I did recently buy an upconverting OPPO to make DVDs look as good as possible. I really don't plan on needing to go full HD (1080p) for a number of years yet so the features of the 5077u and cost value seemed the way to go at this time. Four or five years from now the quality of flat screen TV's will be so much better and have more value (cost less) and Full HD so much more common that I can upgrade at that time.
Rather than be on the bleeding edge I decided the middle road was the better choice and am saving enough to buy a new laptop too over waiting for the new Pio and spending much more.
WLSINWI is offline  
post #107 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Member
 
yakura_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for the flattest wall mount possible ...thanks ahead of time ..
yakura_c is offline  
post #108 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 07:26 PM
jcp
Newbie
 
jcp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello I am having some issues with my 42PX77U. I will be watching tv or a dvd and the picture will freeze. Has anyone had this problem?
jcp is offline  
post #109 of 5981 Old 05-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Member
 
Bill Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Returned a Pioneer Elite (buzzing/panel glare), Samsung 4264 (PQ/glare) and just ordered a 42px77u to be delivered Tuesday.

I'm really hoping this works out. My quest for a decent TV is never ending, it seems.
Bill Stewart is offline  
post #110 of 5981 Old 05-21-2007, 04:45 AM
Member
 
WLSINWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakura_c View Post

I am looking for the flattest wall mount possible ...thanks ahead of time ..

Check on Ebay for a good idea of whats out there. Basically you will want a mount that is just a flat plate with a raised lip that a pair of brackets will hang on. You can get the clearance down to just less than an inch.
I bought one for about $50 . You do want some space from the wall so that there is ventilation to move the heat away. With my mount I wound up having to put it on crossbars so that I could attach to the studs for strength. That is important - to have the mounting plate attach to the studs directly or indirectly and not into just drywall.
WLSINWI is offline  
post #111 of 5981 Old 05-21-2007, 05:26 AM
Member
 
blding_THX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took some pics over the weekend of the 50 inch Panny, I took a side angle and a direct view to show how much glare there is off the 77U. Looking directly at it there is very little glare, when at an angle (like anything with any sheen) the glare increases, but that is expected - such as the reflection of the baseboard coming off the speakers.

I watched some of the PGA Golf from Surgarloaf GA, and the green is flawless IMO. But also, what little glare there is gets absorbed by the displayed images.

All my wiring is in wall, I used Blue Jean HDMI, and 12ga in-wall Monster Cable for the speakers.

Anyway, about that glare. It's minimal - and I'll get some screen shots soon - I should have taken a pic of the PGA Surgarloaf broadcast!

I also cleaned the display for the first time, I just used a microfiber cloth that came with my Oakley's and some water...read the manual before cleaning the screen!
LL
LL
blding_THX is offline  
post #112 of 5981 Old 05-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Member
 
blding_THX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSINWI View Post

Check on Ebay for a good idea of whats out there. Basically you will want a mount that is just a flat plate with a raised lip that a pair of brackets will hang on. You can get the clearance down to just less than an inch.
I bought one for about $50 . You do want some space from the wall so that there is ventilation to move the heat away. With my mount I wound up having to put it on crossbars so that I could attach to the studs for strength. That is important - to have the mounting plate attach to the studs directly or indirectly and not into just drywall.


I used the "Omnimount U3 Tilt Plasma Wall Mounting System" from Amazon. I recommend you invest in a sturdy wall mount. This mount is really easy to install and easy to mount the plasma to once on the wall...that's my .02's.

Keep in mind you need some offset if you want to squeeze in a surge protector - a flush mount may not allow for it.

I have one of these plugged into the outlet I installed behind my 77U with room to spare:
http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?...il&id=102&ly=h
LL
blding_THX is offline  
post #113 of 5981 Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member
 
pbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,386
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just picked up a 42PX75 for my father-in-law yesterday, he'll be mounting in about two weeks. Are there any common non-service menu settings that bring this set closer to D6500 OOTB? Thought I read somewhere that the 600U in Standard and Warm setting was best, anyone know if this is still the case?

Aside from that, it looks like setting the black level to light and turning the usual suspects off is best. I have DVE and S&V HTT so I guess I can set contrast/colour/tint/brightness using that but was wondering what other settings are typically used.

Tx

PBC

 

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

 

pbc is online now  
post #114 of 5981 Old 05-21-2007, 08:42 AM
sma
Advanced Member
 
sma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just noticed on the standard US Panasonic site that the MSRP prices listed for these models had changed within the last couple of days:

50PX77u - old MSRP 2799.95, now shows 2399.95
50PX75u - old MSRP 2499.95, now shows 2299.95
42PX77u - old MSRP 1799.95, now shows 1699.95
42PX75u - unchanged at 1599.95

The change was reflected on the Panny EPP site as well.

BTW, the PZ700u models were unchanged
sma is offline  
post #115 of 5981 Old 05-21-2007, 09:28 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sma View Post

BTW, the PZ700u models were unchanged

Bastards !

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #116 of 5981 Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Member
 
WLSINWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sma View Post

I just noticed on the standard US Panasonic site that the MSRP prices listed for these models had changed within the last couple of days:

50PX77u - old MSRP 2799.95, now shows 2399.95
50PX75u - old MSRP 2499.95, now shows 2299.95
42PX77u - old MSRP 1799.95, now shows 1699.95
42PX75u - unchanged at 1599.95

The change was reflected on the Panny EPP site as well.

BTW, the PZ700u models were unchanged

That would explain the big sale/price drop this weekend at CC on Pannys. The Plasma wars are in full swing. Panasonic is trying to take the market from PIO by undercutting them before they become available. I went for it and got my 5077u at the price I could not resist (several hundred below the new MSRP). I don't know how they can go much lower and make a profit but it is good news for the consumer and It's a great year for buying a plasma.
WLSINWI is offline  
post #117 of 5981 Old 05-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
mariachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County, Ca
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blding_THX View Post

I took some pics over the weekend of the 50 inch Panny, I took a side angle and a direct view to show how much glare there is off the 77U. Looking directly at it there is very little glare, when at an angle (like anything with any sheen) the glare increases, but that is expected - such as the reflection of the baseboard coming off the speakers.

I watched some of the PGA Golf from Surgarloaf GA, and the green is flawless IMO. But also, what little glare there is gets absorbed by the displayed images.

All my wiring is in wall, I used Blue Jean HDMI, and 12ga in-wall Monster Cable for the speakers.

Anyway, about that glare. It's minimal - and I'll get some screen shots soon - I should have taken a pic of the PGA Surgarloaf broadcast!

I also cleaned the display for the first time, I just used a microfiber cloth that came with my Oakley's and some water...read the manual before cleaning the screen!

were there any streaks left after you cleaned the screen?
mariachi is offline  
post #118 of 5981 Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Member
 
Honkworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic TH-50PX75U says it can display 1080i/1080p and the Samsung HP-T5064 says only 1080i. I'm trying to choose between the two and wonder if there is any benifit that the panny has 1080p? Since both have aprox. 750 resolution and not true 1080 resolution does the 1080p have any real advantage over the 1080i. Also would I notice much difference on the p over the i set if I later added HD-DVD or BlueRay? Comments please?
Honkworm is offline  
post #119 of 5981 Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 AM
Member
 
Joshuaalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yes this sde has been driving me nuts. I had the 5054 and was viewing at 9' and it was very pronounced and annoying. I hated the sound on that set too and other nuances. Returned it and got the 42" px75u. I keep moving the 42px75u away as far away as it will go away from me to the wall but still see a little bit of the sde. Is this just a problem with plasma's cuz they are only 720p???? I don't recall seeing it on the sony sxrg 50" I was testing here or the 46" sony lcd. Sigh!!! they were both 1080p. I do recall the annoying shimmering screen effect from the sxrg and the crappy blacks on the lcd and a little bit of lag but not much.
I am thinking maybe a 1080p plasma might stop me from seeing that effect????? pls help!!!!!!
Joshuaalpha is offline  
post #120 of 5981 Old 05-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Member
 
blding_THX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariachi View Post

were there any streaks left after you cleaned the screen?


None at all. I used a damp micro-fiber cloth in a swirl motion - very lightly. I only cleaned a few spots where I smudged it while hanging it with my sweaty arm. No streaks, and no difference in surface from the areas I didn't touch.

We watched 24 last night. This display is incredible on HDMI. The settings I am using now:

Picture Mode: Standard
Picture: +18
Brightness +6
Sharpness -7
Colour -3
Tint +3
Color Temp: Normal
Color Management: On
Video NR: On
3D Y/C filter: On
MPEG NR: On
Black level: Light

Would anyone like to comment or post what they are using?
blding_THX is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px77u 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off