Official Panasonic PX75U / PX77U Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5979 Old 05-26-2007, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just purchased a 77 from V###s, order and delivery went very well. The 77 was actually $100 less than the 75 on date of purchase. The TV is working fine, no background noise, only slightly warmer than ambient above the back of the TV. I have used the settings from post 29 of this thread (slightly modified sharpness) and watching Dusk til Dawn thru a 480I DVD component connection we were both very happy with the picture. Next we need to order the wall mount (Sanus VMPL50B) and make the OPPO/HD-A2/HD-XA2 decision. We have about 450 SD DVDs so upscaling is very important. Does anyone one have any feedback on this subject about the 75/77 series. I am researching on the appropriate SD/HD DVD forums but have found nothing about upscaling results on these models.
Thanks to everyone on the AVS forum for their comments which definitely aided us in making our TV selection. Gil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5979 Old 05-26-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilf22 View Post

We just purchased a 77 from V###s, order and delivery went very well. The 77 was actually $100 less than the 75 on date of purchase. The TV is working fine, no background noise, only slightly warmer than ambient above the back of the TV. I have used the settings from post 29 of this thread (slightly modified sharpness) and watching Dusk til Dawn thru a 480I DVD component connection we were both very happy with the picture. Next we need to order the wall mount (Sanus VMPL50B) and make the OPPO/HD-A2/HD-XA2 decision. We have about 450 SD DVDs so upscaling is very important. Does anyone one have any feedback on this subject about the 75/77 series. I am researching on the appropriate SD/HD DVD forums but have found nothing about upscaling results on these models.
Thanks to everyone on the AVS forum for their comments which definitely aided us in making our TV selection. Gil

Just got mine also.
I was happy to find that it does come with a progammable remote but the OPPO DVD codes do not seem to be listed. Does anyone know what code to put in for OPPO dvd operation??
The speakers are not all that loud since it is only a 20 watt system. If sound is your thing you will want to add your own amp.
The grill covering the speaker port is rather thin and is deformed by the opening slightly. This is noticeable by light reflecting off at a different angle than for the rest of the grill and can be a bit distracting.
Other than that it is an awesome set and the antiglare really helps in my south facing family room.
I watched it right away with the brightness turned down but I am running the burn-in cd mentioned here as much as I can.
The passive convection cooling works very well and there is not much detectable heat on the rear case or screen. Fans are not needed and would make noise, as it is I hear no annoying sounds from it at all.
This is the best 720p set Panny makes in my opinion.
post #183 of 5979 Old 05-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Can anyone comment on the PX77U's gaming lag (or lack thereof)? I.e., does it include a "game" mode? Does enabling that mode increase responsiveness noticeably? Does it affect the picture quality?

(Just to be clear--I'm talking about the short delay between a button press and the television's visual response. E.g., I press up and, a short delay later, my videogame character looks up. I'm not talking about ghosting, motion blurring, etc.)

Thanks in advance.
post #184 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro777 View Post

Can anyone comment on the PX77U's gaming lag (or lack thereof)? I.e., does it include a "game" mode? Does enabling that mode increase responsiveness noticeably? Does it affect the picture quality?

(Just to be clear--I'm talking about the short delay between a button press and the television's visual response. E.g., I press up and, a short delay later, my videogame character looks up. I'm not talking about ghosting, motion blurring, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Not an expert on this as I don't yet game- maybe when I retire! I think an ocean view cottage in second life would be nice to have for retirement.
It is my understanding that the holy grail for gamers is 1:1 pixel mapping for the speed you want. The PX77 does not have a VGA port nor does it do 1:1. It does have an HDMI port but only two. In my opinion it should have 3. Anyway I would say it is not optimized for gaming if that is your major interest for it.
post #185 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 08:24 AM

Regarding settings posts. Be sure to state whether those settings are for OTA or Cable or DVD settings. Some options are greyed out depending on the source and the levels too may need different settings depending on the source. EG the 3d filter is available only on over the air settings. Ideally a set of optimum values from an ISF'd set for each source would be a helpfull bit of information
post #186 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSINWI View Post

Not an expert on this as I don't yet game- maybe when I retire! I think an ocean view cottage in second life would be nice to have for retirement.
It is my understanding that the holy grail for gamers is 1:1 pixel mapping for the speed you want. The PX77 does not have a VGA port nor does it do 1:1. It does have an HDMI port but only two. In my opinion it should have 3. Anyway I would say it is not optimized for gaming if that is your major interest for it.

That is disconcerting. I have become very excited about taking my first plunge into plasma technology and I have focused in on the PX77 in particular as what seems like an ideal balance between affordablity and quality. Can any savvy gamers speak to issues of gamer input response lag on plasmas in general and this plasma in particular. I understand that this TV, while offering excellent PQ, is fairly bare bones in connection options, but does this hurt it as a plasma on which one can play videogames? It doesn't seem to have a game mode....does this hurt it?
post #187 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkidu77 View Post

That is disconcerting. I have become very excited about taking my first plunge into plasma technology and I have focused in on the PX77 in particular as what seems like an ideal balance between affordablity and quality. Can any savvy gamers speak to issues of gamer input response lag on plasmas in general and this plasma in particular. I understand that this TV, while offering excellent PQ, is fairly bare bones in connection options, but does this hurt it as a plasma on which one can play videogames? It doesn't seem to have a game mode....does this hurt it?

I have a 60u and have had it connected to my PS2 (component), PS3 (hdmi), Wii (component) and 360 (component) without any hint of lag... each person has different sensitivity to it however, i know i definitely experienced lag playing Guitar Hero on my friend's Bravia (ugh).
post #188 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golem View Post

I have a 60u and have had it connected to my PS2 (component), PS3 (hdmi), Wii (component) and 360 (component) without any hint of lag... each person has different sensitivity to it however, i know i definitely experienced lag playing Guitar Hero on my friend's Bravia (ugh).

Thank you for this assurance. I haven't heard of any issues with panasonics and lag, although I have read articles about lag issues in general with other brands, so I was a bit nervous. Although I don't spend more than 6-8 hours a week gaming on a console, one of the big draws for me for getting a HDTV is gaming on a big hi-def screen. I was initially concerned about burn in, IR, and lag on plasmas. What I've read so far about Panasonics in general and this model in particular suggests these won't be big drawbacks.
post #189 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirlinthesand View Post

haha...not quite....I just feel as happy as the Old Man in Christmas Story after he plugs in the leg lamp. That's what he says...those two lines...haha.

Let's hope it does not get broken the way that leg lamp did....lol.

Seriously though, what a great tv...and keeps getting cheaper. $2049 now at CC (I'll be in there later getting another refund).

Fragile!!!; It must be Italian
post #190 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Curious to know if it is at all possible to force PCM out of the digital out regardless of the source?

I'm still very happily stuck in the 2 channel world and use an outboard 2 channel DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) that costs a shade more than the TH-42PX77U; to listen to audio out of my DVD player as well as my current outboard ATSC tuner.

I've read the manual, but alas it makes no mention of selection other than auto pass through.

Thanks
post #191 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 03:44 PM

No replies on a stand-alone post, so let me ask the question here:

I know this will be an easy one for someone - I just bought a Panasonic TH-PX75U Plasma TV. Hooked it up to my cable box (Comcast) (HD and DVR), bingo - display is working fine, picture looks great. However I have a small red "bug" which is sequentially moving around my display - It is:

CHK
D:2C
DG:23

The second and third line change when I switch channels via my cable STB. What is this? How do I get rid of it?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Doyon
Ashburn, VA
post #192 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 03:49 PM

I am looking at getting the 42" PX77U but I haven' been able to find if it uses any set standard of wall mounts. Can anyone here put me on the path to researching wall mounts that can be used with the 42" PX77U?
Also many thanks to a lot of useful posts in this thread.
Am I the only one who hates the piano/highly reflective black frames on these (not just the Panasonic but most flat screen plasmas)? I'd much prefer a flat black.
post #193 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro777 View Post

Thanks in advance.

We have played games on the 77u and I have not notices any lag. The picture on games like Gears of War is great.
post #194 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 07:59 PM

i cant decide between samsung 5054 and panasonic 75u. which one is better?
i read sammy has 540 billion colors whereas panny has 29 billion. what is that?
post #195 of 5979 Old 05-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

StevieD, I have no idea, but I wonder if it could be your STB generating the bug? Have you tried any other sources with the TV? Do you get the bug with OTA or straight cable or DVD, e.g.?

Just a thought... Perry.

"I'm more of an idea rat..."
post #196 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golem View Post

im wondering if you have ever popped in GH2 on your ps2 and tested for lag?

It looks as if this is the set I might settle on, in comparison to sharp's gaming T.V

I just wanna be sure, it wont dissapoint as far as gaming goes. PQ i know for everything else will be great
post #197 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 06:36 AM

I was having the same difficulty deciding.
I found the Sammy 5054's forefront images to be sharper, more details, crisp, beating the Panny 75U.

I found the Panny 75u's images a tiny bit blurry, not as crisp, however the background was so much more visible, realistic. You could see through darker areas in the background. I could see that the overall picture was more like real life. The overall clearity was unbeatable. While the Sammy was missing so much of the overall picture. Then I noticed that it looked granier overall too.

Even though I loved the definition of the Samsung and the sexier bezel, I had to go with the slightly blurry (when comparing to the Sammy) beautiful fuller, more real picture.

Next to these two, I also saw the Pioneer which seemed to have the best of both the Sammy and the Panny but was 8 bills more.

So, I my opinion, Panny 75u. It is.
post #198 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryU View Post

StevieD, I have no idea, but I wonder if it could be your STB generating the bug? Have you tried any other sources with the TV? Do you get the bug with OTA or straight cable or DVD, e.g.?

Just a thought... Perry.

Yes, the bug was on all inputs. I did a complete reset (lost all my settings), and managed to resolve the issue - I still don't know what it was, but its gone now.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Doyon
Ashburn, VA
post #199 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 07:46 AM

StevieD: I think I replied to another one of your posts already, but your tv was stuck in factory mode. Resetting it does take care of it.
post #200 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost It All View Post

I am looking at getting the 42" PX77U but I haven' been able to find if it uses any set standard of wall mounts. Can anyone here put me on the path to researching wall mounts that can be used with the 42" PX77U?
Also many thanks to a lot of useful posts in this thread.
Am I the only one who hates the piano/highly reflective black frames on these (not just the Panasonic but most flat screen plasmas)? I'd much prefer a flat black.

I can point you to the path of learning but you will have to walk it yourself.

I find that just going to ebay and looking up the kind of item I am interested in there is a wealth of information provided by sellers. Specifically for you you want to go and look up wall mounts for tv's. almost all the mounts are what is called VESA standard as are the mounting holes on the backs of most plasmas.
The Panny's are VESA standard so any mount in the appropiate size and weight category will work. I got a close fitting heavy steel mount for $50 there and saved some mony.
Oh and yes I don't like a piano black reflective finish but it is still better than last years fugly silver grey. Most manufactureres are going with piano black this year so it is what it is.
post #201 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 08:10 AM

Thought I would pass this along.
Some have said the sound of their new Panny is not as loud as they want. Now the 77 and 75 share the same audio circuit and it is only 20 watts so that is a limit.
The 700 has a 30-35watt amp I understand so that is going to sound better.
However there is a setting in the menu that affects the sound. The sound leveler is adjustable as to the average level of the sound and that can act as a volume control also. Check to see if menu/audio/other adjust/al is set to on and if it is check what the audio leveler value is, you may want to turn it off. Turning it up can increase the sound level and if it is turned down it will decrease the sound heard.
post #202 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZORTEK View Post

i cant decide between samsung 5054 and panasonic 75u. which one is better?

The one that fits your requirements is the better one. For me, it would be the Panasonic.

Quote:

i read sammy has 540 billion colors whereas panny has 29 billion. what is that?

That's 18 times more colors than the Panasonic. I remember a time when a box of 100 Crayola crayons was all the colors i needed. How many billions of colors does a TV watcher need anyway? And who counted these?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #203 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 AM

now i narrowed my choices btw 75u and 77u. cnet review has info on 77u but , not 75 u. i dont know why. there is only $250 between them when i searched nextag'com.
whats the difference in terms of quality?
thanks in advance
post #204 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 10:14 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

now i narrowed my choices btw 75u and 77u. cnet review has info on 77u but , not 75 u. i dont know why. there is only $250 between them when i searched nextag'com. whats the difference in terms of quality?

Since they're both made by Panasonic, they're both just as reliable as one another i'm sure.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #205 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 AM

That's 18 times more colors than the Panasonic. I remember a time when a box of 100 Crayola crayons was all the colors i needed. How many billions of colors does a TV watcher need anyway? And who counted these?

I LOL'd when I read that!! So true!
post #206 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:

now i narrowed my choices btw 75u and 77u. cnet review has info on 77u but , not 75 u. i dont know why. there is only $250 between them when i searched nextag'com.
whats the difference in terms of quality?
thanks in advance

Since they are both new sets its hard to say but I would expect equal reliability if that means anything. Panasonic does have a reputation for reliability which should give you some reassurance. The difference in cost is as low as $50 at some places. I feel the 77 is the better set just on the antiglare feature that has finally made it possible to watch tv during the day in my South facing family room.
post #207 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 01:08 PM

Finally this afternoon I pulled the trigger on 77U and it is awesome, jaw dropping picture from ViP622 receiver. I have it connected with Component cables and will buy HDMI in few days.

I have read thru this thread and have adjusted settings as follows

Picture +21
Brightness 0
Color +2
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color Temp Normal
Color Mgmt Off
Video Nr Off
3D Y/C Filter Off
ColorMatrix HD
MPEG NR off
Black level Dark

Am I fine or should I bring down brightness and picture to all minus readings? Will appreciate your inputs. I have a room with 8 feet window right across the Plasma. And two on the side that does not affect the screen. What should my settings be in such scenario?

This is my first one so I am totally out of control. And I scored it for $1799+NJ tax, I did not want to buy from unknown internet vendors and Crutchfield is high and BB/CC will not budge on their pricing.

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.
post #208 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 01:20 PM

That's a great price. I can't find one in stock in Colorado, so I'm ready to give the internet vendors a try. Some have very good reviews. The price is still more than what you paid.....
post #209 of 5979 Old 05-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreat View Post

Finally this afternoon I pulled the trigger on 77U and it is awesome, jaw dropping picture from ViP622 receiver. I have it connected with Component cables and will buy HDMI in few days.

I have read thru this thread and have adjusted settings as follows

Picture +21
Brightness 0
Color +2
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color Temp Normal
Color Mgmt Off
Video Nr Off
3D Y/C Filter Off
ColorMatrix HD
MPEG NR off
Black level Dark

I have not had an official ISF calibration done on my 50PX75U, but I did rent a THX-certified DVD (see thx.com/home/dvd/search.html) and used the THX optimizer contained on the disc. It really helped me set my picture and brightness levels.

Based on the THX test, I would say your "dark" black level is probably too dark. With that setting, I was unable to distinguish the darker "blacks" from "true" black no matter how I adjusted the picture and brightness levels. If you see lots of dark areas w/o any shadows or other details, then I would suggest trying the "light" black setting.

Your settings will depend on the input type (tuner, component, HDMI) etc since where the +-30 user adjustable range falls within the TV's 0-100 (full) range varies for each input. For my Philips 3505 DVDR set for 480p, the 75U Picture at +18, Sharpness at -15, normal color temp, and light blacks, HDMI and component had very different brightness settings to properly resolve the different shades of black: +9 for HDMI but -16 for component. For an older Toshiba dvd player at 480i, Pic +18 needed Bright -21 over component. (Note that different Pic settings will require different Brightness settings to achieve the same result.) But my example points out the dependence of the setting on the input type and device. I had the color space set to SD and not HD since the dvd is not high-def. [an aside - before the THX test I had my 3505 HDMI set to expanded RGB color space. That was a mistake because I couldn't get good blacks then and all my DVD recordings looked much darker during playback than during OTA watching.]

Since you have the ColorMatrix on HD, I assume you are watching a broadcast of some sort. I don't know what you can use for a reference in that case. For me, I chose to use settings similar to the HDMI input which seem to work well for me. I've also turned on both NR's (video and mpeg) but haven't really done a on-off comparision with any source material.
post #210 of 5979 Old 05-29-2007, 10:21 AM

i can get the th-42PC75U for 1,000 right now. this tv will go in the bed room, so sitting distance will be around 7-8 feet, is this far enough back, i havnt totaly checked the specs but iwill be runing the cable directly to the tv, first questions can i? and any problems with channel swithcing doing it this way, slow channel change. how does standard tv look on it because thats all that will be viewed on it?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px77u 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page