HELP! I'm in over my head... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at the Pioneer 5070/6070, Samsungs, Panasonics, etc... My old TV is a 27" Sony from like '97.

First off, let me state that my price range is somewhere around $3000.

My couch is ~10.5-11 feet from the area where my TV would be, so (as I understand it) 1080p would be kind of a waste unless I got a massive TV.

It would be used primarily for some SD TV viewing (Scrubs, etc...), as well as lots of sports (football, basketball, soccer, etc...). It would also have to work with my Xbox 360. I don't play it much, so I'm not TOO worried about burn-in. At most, it gets played like 30 days per year, a few hours at a time. It'd be mostly used for split-screen multiplayer games, like Halo. That shouldn't hurt, should it?

I was going to wait for the new Panasonics to come out, then go with the 750. However, I'm sitting so far away that 1080p probably won't matter much (if at all). On top of that, it's $1000 out of my price range.

Whatever I get MUST HAVE speakers. I live in a fairly small apartment (~900 sq. feet), so I don't have room for external speaker systems.

I was hell-bent on getting an LCD, but every single manufacturer that produces a decent picture has MEGA issues.

I'm hoping someone will help by talking me through this!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roisin Dubh View Post

My couch is ~10.5-11 feet from the area where my TV would be, so (as I understand it) 1080p would be kind of a waste unless I got a massive TV.

Absolutely!
Quote:

Whatever I get MUST HAVE speakers. I live in a fairly small apartment (~900 sq. feet), so I don't have room for external speaker systems.

Get one of the Yamaha Digital Sound Projectors and ignore the crappy speakers that come in the TVs!

Sounds to me like you could get a REALLY nice front projection system for a lot less money! With your viewing distance you could probably do an 80-90" screen.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #3 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

Absolutely!Get one of the Yamaha Digital Sound Projectors and ignore the crappy speakers that come in the TVs!

Sounds to me like you could get a REALLY nice front projection system for a lot less money! With your viewing distance you could probably do an 80-90" screen.

Was that all a joke?
post #4 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35 View Post

Was that all a joke?

Not at all.

BTW, the maximum seating distance for a person with 20/20 vision to be able to resolve a 1080 pixel on a 50" or 60" TV is:
  • 50"=6.5ft
  • 60"=7.8ft

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #5 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not at all.

BTW, the maximum seating distance for a person with 20/20 vision to be able to resolve a 1080 pixel on a 50" or 60" TV is:
  • 50"=6.5ft
  • 60"=7.8ft

Technically speaking, I have 20/10.

I definitely want to go Plasma or LCD, and LCD isn't really a great option because of the huge amounts of issues with them.
post #6 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I definitely want to go Plasma or LCD, and LCD isn't really a great option because of the huge amounts of issues with them.

Plasma certainly has burn-in issues.

" - MLK

post #7 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well Roisin, as a Samsung owner I would say the PQ is second to none. In fact I am going to say it's the best picture out there, SD or HD. Having said that, the sound quality on my Samsung is at best fair. Then again, I've been using a separate surround sound system for over ten years so perhaps I'm used to that.
post #8 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

True, but plasmas don't have the inherent problems of LCD. You don't buy a plasma thinking, "Man, I really hope I got one of the 10% of this model that doesn't have banding and/or clouding!"
post #9 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

Well Roisin, as a Samsung owner I would say the PQ is second to none. In fact I am going to say it's the best picture out there, SD or HD. Having said that, the sound quality on my Samsung is at best fair. Then again, I've been using a separate surround sound system for over ten years so perhaps I'm used to that.

What is CNET's beef with Samsung? Their reviews are horrendous on there...

Tell me why a Samsung over a Pioneer 5070?

BTW, should I be looking to bump up to 58-60"?
post #10 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure what is going on with CNET. Their reviews and consumer reviews of Samsungs are polar opposites.
As for the Pioneer vs Samsung comparisons, the Samsung colors were more natural showing even greater gradations. Additionally, the detail was better on the Samsung. I wouldn't say night and day difference because the Pioneer is a fine plasma, but the Samsung next to it was slightly better.
As for size. if space and money allows for it then get the biggest one.
post #11 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

I will certainly look into them! Thanks for the tip... what models should I be looking at, in particular?
post #12 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Samsung's newest line of 64 series plasmas, and Pioneer's Elite models. I believe with this sort of investment you wanna get the best you can.
Good luck and quite honestly you really can't go wrong with either.
post #13 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

The 5064 and Pioneer 5070 are now at the top of my list.
post #14 of 48 Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 PM

Liked: 11
Roisin, I feel your pain brother, been there done that and I ended up with a 5071 & couldn't be happier unless the dang thing made my morning coffee too.

I am sitting 11.5' from my 5071 and I just couldn't imagine a 1080p improving my perceived resolution and this was something I was truly worried about with all the new 1080p models hitting the shelves.

Right now my only HD is OTA-CBS, NBC, ABC & PBS and they all look incredible, watching "The Unit" tonight on CBS looked freaking outstanding.
I'm running my DTV-SD via s-video and I have to say it looks 50% better than what I prepared myself for before I got this model and I cannot say the same about certain LCD's that I have seen in the same situation (if you need details PM me).

I don't follow BB, but I will say that HD hockey looks incredible.

Now I had low expectations for the 5071's speakers and had no plans to even attach them but I am happy that I did, they actually sound better than my 15 yr old 36" Proscan that had a 40-watt amp built-in, my wife concurs this.

Here, read my reply on this post as far as gaming & IR is concerned.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=845154

Don't be too freaked out, you are not alone.
post #15 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not at all.

• 50"=6.5ft
  • 60"=7.8ft

That may be accurate however in real world settings, test results posted on this very site have shown that a little more than 75% of people shown both 768p and 1080p feeds to 50" panels could not tell the difference between the two.This was from viewing distances of 6' to 10'. The bottom line is that 1080p as it applies to 50" & even 60" panels, is far more about the manufactures re-establishing the the high end of the plasma & LCD market than it is about offering the consumer the best technology. The rest is pure hype to sell to the tech boys that have be able to tell their friends that they have 1080p.
post #16 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayook View Post

Roisin, I feel your pain brother, been there done that and I ended up with a 5071 & couldn't be happier unless the dang thing made my morning coffee too.

I am sitting 11.5' from my 5071 and I just couldn't imagine a 1080p improving my perceived resolution and this was something I was truly worried about with all the new 1080p models hitting the shelves.

Right now my only HD is OTA-CBS, NBC, ABC & PBS and they all look incredible, watching "The Unit" tonight on CBS looked freaking outstanding.
I'm running my DTV-SD via s-video and I have to say it looks 50% better than what I prepared myself for before I got this model and I cannot say the same about certain LCD's that I have seen in the same situation (if you need details PM me).

I don't follow BB, but I will say that HD hockey looks incredible.

Now I had low expectations for the 5071's speakers and had no plans to even attach them but I am happy that I did, they actually sound better than my 15 yr old 36" Proscan that had a 40-watt amp built-in, my wife concurs this.

Here, read my reply on this post as far as gaming & IR is concerned.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=845154

Don't be too freaked out, you are not alone.

That is twice that you referenced your 5071 making coffee, I think we found the real difference between the 5070 and 5071, that extra remote controls the coffee pot, and you thought that noise was the fan on the TV. LOL

Doug
post #17 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 06:17 AM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 5070/1 also has a subwoofer out on the panel, so if you are using the attached speakers, you can fill out the low end. I always thought that would be a neat feature for someone not having a full HT system.

Tim
post #18 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk147 View Post

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 5070/1 also has a subwoofer out on the panel, so if you are using the attached speakers, you can fill out the low end. I always thought that would be a neat feature for someone not having a full HT system.

There is a subwoofer port. #12 on the diagram of the owner's manual showing the back panel.

I need help, I have memorized the owner's manual, LOL

Doug
post #19 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Plasma DOES NOT have burn in issues. You can get image retention, which I for one would not call it an issue since it easily can go away. Maybe you used the wrong term, but it definitely needs to be pointed out that they do not have burn in issues - unless you plan on leaving your plasma on the same image for a very, very long time. Doubtful that'll happen.
post #20 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 07:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DReilly1 View Post

That is twice that you referenced your 5071 making coffee, I think we found the real difference between the 5070 and 5071, that extra remote controls the coffee pot, and you thought that noise was the fan on the TV. LOL

Doug

lol, and the 5072 will make expresso and toast bagels (I would never leave the living room).

Roisin, just jump in buddy, the plamsa "waters" are fine.
post #21 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Haha! Thanks for the reassurance. One thing - I'm a college football fanatic. I'll sometimes sit down and watch 12-15 straight hours of football (Gameday, then multiple games at once/one game after another). With that much time, should I be worried about burn-in of, say, the ESPN logo, or the ticker at the bottom of the screen?

I'm just paranoid. I have this horrible feeling that I'm going to irreparably damage my TV on accident!
post #22 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Haha! Thanks for the reassurance. One thing - I'm a college football fanatic. I'll sometimes sit down and watch 12-15 straight hours of football (Gameday, then multiple games at once/one game after another). With that much time, should I be worried about burn-in of, say, the ESPN logo, or the ticker at the bottom of the screen?

I'm just paranoid. I have this horrible feeling that I'm going to irreparably damage my TV on accident!

But I will have about 700 to 1,000 hours on my set by them, should be close to bullet proof by then.

Another great reaon to buy your plasma now, she will be good and broken in by football season. : )

Doug
post #23 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

But I will have about 700 to 1,000 hours on my set by them, should be close to bullet proof by then.

Another great reaon to buy your plasma now, she will be good and broken in by football season. : )

Doug

Haha! I have to get up the money, first. I have the grave misfortune of being a college student... It will take me awhile...

But moving on, should I be looking more seriously at the Samsung or Pioneer? The Pioneer looks amazing (and has gotten amazing reviews), but there definitely seem to be alot of people who are pushing Samsung on these boards...
post #24 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Haha! I have to get up the money, first. I have the grave misfortune of being a college student... It will take me awhile...

But moving on, should I be looking more seriously at the Samsung or Pioneer? The Pioneer looks amazing (and has gotten amazing reviews), but there definitely seem to be alot of people who are pushing Samsung on these boards...

Nothing Grave about being a college student, it will allow you to be able to get the 4000P Plasma years from now with your degree, LOL

I have the Pioneer, it looked the best to me in the store in my price range. But as Zippy will attest the Samsungs are awesome as well.

In all honesty, I never looked at the Samsungs that closely, I was down to the Panasonic and the Pioneer.

You cannot go wrong with either one. Hell if I saved 2% of what I spent on beer in college alone, I could by the 103" Plasma. : )

Doug
post #25 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 08:50 AM

Just watch and enjoy your TV. Just limit 4:3 viewing for a while and you'll be o.k. I have a 2 year old Panasonic 50 7uy and I have never had a problem with IR or burn in and this was before any break-in DVD, which I feel is really unnecessary.
post #26 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nothing Grave about being a college student, it will allow you to be able to get the 4000P Plasma years from now with your degree, LOL

I have the Pioneer, it looked the best to me in the store in my price range. But as Zippy will attest the Samsungs are awesome as well.

In all honesty, I never looked at the Samsungs that closely, I was down to the Panasonic and the Pioneer.

You cannot go wrong with either one. Hell if I saved 2% of what I spent on beer in college alone, I could by the 103" Plasma. : )

Doug

Not likely! I'm a double-major in English and Music Theory/Composition! I'll be living in a cardboard box when I graduate (so perhaps I need a plasma that doesn't use much power).

It sounds like I really can't go wrong with either one.

How does the PiP on the two (5064 and 5070) compare? It'd be nice if I could watch multiple games at once.
post #27 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Doug

Same here. I just picked up a 5071 last week. So far I am very happy with my purchase. The only thing that gives me a tinge of remorse are the positive comments that the new 1080P Panasonics have been getting on this forum. I am dying to find a store that has one on display so that I can decide whether or not to change my mind before the 30 day return period expires!!

I thought that the 768P Panasonics were very nice too but I give the slight edge to the Pioneer. I never seriously considered the any Samsung models. I really never saw one in store that looked as good as the Panny or Pio models but that could be due to a crappy set-up/source-feed.
post #28 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dunlap View Post

Same here. I just picked up a 5071 last week. So far I am very happy with my purchase. The only thing that gives me a tinge of remorse are the positive comments that the new 1080P Panasonics have been getting on this forum. I am dying to find a store that has one on display so that I can decide whether or not to change my mind before the 30 day return period expires!!

I thought that the 768P Panasonics were very nice too but I give the slight edge to the Pioneer. I never seriously considered the any Samsung models. I really never saw one in store that looked as good as the Panny or Pio models but that could be due to a crappy set-up/source-feed.

Trying to decide between 768P and 1080P was one of the things that took me so long to finally buy a plasma.

My viewing distance ranges from 8 ft. to 12 ft., and I was not allowed to go bogger than 50".

So in my situation, once I understood average viewing distances to discern 1080P increased resolution, my decision was easy.

I am so excited to finally be getting HD, 768P or not.

On PIP, I am not using it currently, so I cannot help the OP on that question.

Doug
post #29 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

I'm not sure what is going on with CNET. Their reviews and consumer reviews of Samsungs are polar opposites.
As for the Pioneer vs Samsung comparisons, the Samsung colors were more natural showing even greater gradations. Additionally, the detail was better on the Samsung. I wouldn't say night and day difference because the Pioneer is a fine plasma, but the Samsung next to it was slightly better.
As for size. if space and money allows for it then get the biggest one.

Well, to be fair, CNET has not reviewed the new Samsung plasmas (54/64 series), and it seems they are quite a big step up from the last models. Also, they absolutely drool over Samsung LCD's, so it's not like they have any anti-Samsung bias. They liked the 53/73 Sammys, but thought they were a step down in overall PQ from the top sets, which isn't really out of line with what everyone else thinks. Also remember that CNET review scores tend to be much lower than consumer reviews, who are more likely to hand out 9's and 10's. Anything over a 7.0 is a great review for CNET -- their top rated TV (the FHD1) only got an 8.7.

I will be interested to see what the word is when more professional reviews of the new Sammys trickle out. CNET calibrates their plasmas and then tests them using the PRO-FHD1 as a reference sit sitting right next them, so it should be interesting.

On a side note, how do these college students these days have $3000 budgets for 50 inch plasmas? My lord, things have changed since I was in college... are you siphoning off that student loan money or something? (and yes, I'm slightly jealous )

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #30 of 48 Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Well, to be fair, CNET has not reviewed the new Samsung plasmas (54/64 series), and it seems they are quite a big step up from the last models. Also, they absolutely drool over Samsung LCD's, so it's not like they have any anti-Samsung bias. They liked the 53/73 Sammys, but thought they were a step down in overall PQ from the top sets, which isn't really out of line with what everyone else thinks. Also remember that CNET review scores tend to be much lower than consumer reviews, who are more likely to hand out 9's and 10's. Anything over a 7.0 is a great review for CNET -- their top rated TV (the FHD1) only got an 8.7.

I will be interested to see what the word is when more professional reviews of the new Sammys trickle out. CNET calibrates their plasmas and then tests them using the PRO-FHD1 as a reference sit sitting right next them, so it should be interesting.

On a side note, how do these college students these days have $3000 budgets for 50 inch plasmas? My lord, things have changed since I was in college... are you siphoning off that student loan money or something? (and yes, I'm slightly jealous )

I actually have a burgeoning crack business.

I kid.

I work at a restaurant part-time. I am fortunate enough to have outside income paying for my bills/rent/tuition (inheritance! Huzzah!). My job just provides me with some extra money for whatever I need. I don't make very much, but it's all profit.

Yeah, that's true about the Samsungs. What are some other websites that review products? I'm very new to this field (only started looking for a TV about two weeks ago), so I don't know the "hotspots."

What I really need to know is this: is it possible to watch two channels from the same source with PiP? What I mean is, could I watch the game on CBS and ABC at the same time?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page