Samsung FPT5084, 50", 1080p, 15000:1 Contrast ratio. - Page 144 - AVS Forum
First ... 142  143  144 145 
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Samsung FPT5084, 50", 1080p, 15000:1 Contrast ratio.
cacti's Avatar cacti 08:33 PM 12-23-2009
I, too, had my panel replaced today. This makes four in-home tech visits, and every single component in the TV replaced. As with the rest of you, any further problems would result in a new TV per Samsung. Additionally, although my two years was up in November, I paid with AMEX so I'm good till Nov 2010.

The upside? No buzz, no DGP and a noticeably better picture! The tech said that the internals have been upgraded/improved since original manufacture...FWIW. I wasn't actually thrilled with the idea of getting a replacement TV since the newer ones have had problems as well. Glad I don't have to make a choice - I think!

HardBat's Avatar HardBat 08:44 PM 12-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacti View Post

I, too, had my panel replaced today. This makes four in-home tech visits, and every single component in the TV replaced. As with the rest of you, any further problems would result in a new TV per Samsung. Additionally, although my two years was up in November, I paid with AMEX so I'm good till Nov 2010.

The upside? No buzz, no DGP and a noticeably better picture! The tech said that the internals have been upgraded/improved since original manufacture...FWIW. I wasn't actually thrilled with the idea of getting a replacement TV since the newer ones have had problems as well. Glad I don't have to make a choice - I think!

Good luck getting a replacement. I was authorized for a replacement last week, and since then I have had to call them EVERY DAY asking on the status of the replacement. Monday morning, they said I indeed was approved, and they would call me back later in the day with the details of the exchange. They didn't call.

Tuesday, same thing, only this time, the woman I talked to on the phone said she would PERSONALLY call me back by 430 with the details of the exchange. She didn't call.

Today, I called AGAIN, and after explaining my problem 37 times, the woman on the phone said that apparently there is now a note on my account saying that Samsung wants me to e-mail them PICTURES of the sparkles. I was like WTF are you serious? So I did as they told, and just e-mailed them the pictures a few minutes ago. If anyone is curious as to how bad the sparkles are, heres a little sample for ya. If that picture isn't enough for Samsung, then I don't know what is. It just pisses me off that I have been told 5 times that I'm authorized for a replacement, but yet, they never call me back with the details, and now they decide they want pictures of the sparkles.

Do they think me and the TV repair tech are lying to them or what? This is ridiculous, seriously.


cacti's Avatar cacti 09:18 PM 12-25-2009
Hardbat,

Looks like I will have to test Samsung's replacement policy. Two days after the panel replacement, the DGPs are back worse than before! Seriously, I can now see the sparkles from fourteen feet away.

I'll call tomorrow, but in my favor is the fact that I'm still dealing with Costco Concierge who can exert some pressure on Samsung or, I imagine, refund the purchase price themselves. Big question for me is which replacement to get???

Merry Christmas all!
RYNO1721's Avatar RYNO1721 11:58 AM 12-31-2009
I bought this plasma back in September of 2007 and until now it's been great. However now there's something wrong with it as whenever it's turned on the picture is distorted to where it looks like the display is outputting "double vision." There is a visible horizontal line in the middle of the screen where one can see how the picture doesn't sync up. Also, the HDMI Input when you first turn it on is also shown twice, overlapping on each other. This problem is alleviated if we leave the television on for around 20 minutes, turn it off, then turn it back on but I'm worried about longterm damage and how annoying this process is.

I called Samsung, it's not under warranty and the repair provider they gave me said he thinks it's an issue with the X-board and it'll need to be replaced. He gave me an estimate of $500.00 (240.00 for the board plus shipping and tax + 200.00 for labor and tax.) I'm wary of his estimate and wanted to get a second opinion?
motoracer51's Avatar motoracer51 09:04 AM 01-05-2010
Just a quick reply.

I had my panel replaced while I was away in Italy for the month. Upon my return last night, I turned on the tv to check it out.

Green pixels gone, but the picture is DEFINITELY worse. I can tell on both regular and HD content the clarity is just not the same as it was with the old panel.

I'd even venture to say that the picture was better with the green pixels.

I guess I gotta get back on the phone with Samsung again.
robkwan's Avatar robkwan 09:25 AM 01-23-2010
Can someone please fix or post link for ver 1022 firmware? The link from samsungplasmatvfaq is dead.

The hdmi ports are very picky on hdmi cables connected to computing clients at 1080P. This includes laptop, PS3, media player. Images flicker! Problem gone at 1080i and lower. hdmi3 is POS, it will not provide stable image at 1080P. Only 2 out of 10 hdmi 1.3 cables between 10' to 15' work properly on hdmi1 and hdmi2. I am hoping 1022 fixes it?
cacti's Avatar cacti 11:08 AM 01-26-2010
My replacement was delivered yesterday, a PN50B560. Samsung had told me 7-14 business days, and they were pretty accurate.

Definitely a nicer picture, a tad lighter weight, supposedly less power consumption, brighter but with seemingly more glare. Insignificant buzz and no green sparkles...

On to the PN50B560 thread...

Cheers
HardBat's Avatar HardBat 12:46 PM 01-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacti View Post

My replacement was delivered yesterday, a PN50B560. Samsung had told me 7-14 business days, and they were pretty accurate.

Definitely a nicer picture, a tad lighter weight, supposedly less power consumption, brighter but with seemingly more glare. Insignificant buzz and no green sparkles...

On to the PN50B560 thread...

Cheers

Alright, here is my FINAL post in this thread.

Followers of this thread, as well as my other thread "My Experience with Samsung Customer Service" already know of all the troubles I've gone through with Samsung to get a new TV.

I received a phone call this morning from Samsung with their 2nd replacement offer. 1st they offered me the PN50B550, and I declined that, because it did not have PIP. So then they offered me the PN50B860, which I HAPPILY accepted.

They said I should be getting it in about 10 business days. Man am I pumped this whole thing is done with.
LaxVic's Avatar LaxVic 05:12 PM 01-27-2010
Called samsung numerous times to no avail. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD35 hooked up through HDMI picture is good however in the Samsung setup menu HDMI is greyed out as well as film mode. I'm I doing something wrong here?
butch_family's Avatar butch_family 11:16 AM 02-01-2010
Exchange unit 5084 Four panels later, for 50B860. HDMI grayed out ,also film mode. Can not turn on CS. For B-Ray. Will have to post in Buzz thead or 850/860 also .
HardBat's Avatar HardBat 11:18 AM 02-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by butch_family View Post

Exchange unit 5084 Four panels later, for 50B860. HDMI grayed out ,also film mode. Can not turn on CS. For B-Ray. Will have to post in Buzz thead or 850/860 also .

Are you sure your Blu-Ray player is sending out a 24fps signal?

Pretty sure the TV needs a 24 fps signal in order to enable Cinema Smooth.... Go into your BR player settings and check.
motoracer51's Avatar motoracer51 12:44 PM 02-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBat View Post

Alright, here is my FINAL post in this thread.

Followers of this thread, as well as my other thread "My Experience with Samsung Customer Service" already know of all the troubles I've gone through with Samsung to get a new TV.

I received a phone call this morning from Samsung with their 2nd replacement offer. 1st they offered me the PN50B550, and I declined that, because it did not have PIP. So then they offered me the PN50B860, which I HAPPILY accepted.

They said I should be getting it in about 10 business days. Man am I pumped this whole thing is done with.

I'm hoping they replace my POS with the 860. I have the same dilemma as you as one of the main reasons I bought this tv was the PIP.
jaymerkramer's Avatar jaymerkramer 08:25 PM 02-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxVic View Post

Called samsung numerous times to no avail. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD35 hooked up through HDMI picture is good however in the Samsung setup menu HDMI is greyed out as well as film mode. I'm I doing something wrong here?


Film mode is only used for 480i video sources such as a non 480p dvd player. It will only be available for selection when one of these sources is used.
Quote from Samsung Faq "Important: A 480i signal is a standard, analog signal. 480i signals are transmitted by analog cable channels, over-the-air analog channels, and VCRs and DVD players that are attached using A/V or Composite connections. If you have your TV set to a source that is transmitting a signal other than 480i - any digital signal or 480p analog signal - Film Mode will not function and may be grayed and out inaccessible in your On Screen Menu."

This is from the Cnet Samsung forums quote
"Whether the black level adjustment comes into play, meaning not grayed out, depends on the source device and type of signal. I believe if the source is RGB the black level becomes and option, but if the signal is YCbCr the option is grayed out. If you have an XBox 360 or PS3 you can choose the HDMI output in their setup menus if you wish to test this."

Normal is 0-255 (pc video levels) and Low is 16-235 (standard video levels)
motoracer51's Avatar motoracer51 05:11 PM 02-02-2010
Ughhhh!!!!

The tech just came out, and we replaced the panel once more.

After watching the tv for about 10 minutes since he left, I think the picture looks WORSE than the last panel, which couldn't hold a stick to the original.

I don't know if I should just sell the thing for $500-$750 and cut my loses, and bring my money to another company, or to go through the ropes and hope for a replacement.
HardBat's Avatar HardBat 05:19 PM 02-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post

Ughhhh!!!!

The tech just came out, and we replaced the panel once more.

After watching the tv for about 10 minutes since he left, I think the picture looks WORSE than the last panel, which couldn't hold a stick to the original.

I don't know if I should just sell the thing for $500-$750 and cut my loses, and bring my money to another company, or to go through the ropes and hope for a replacement.

Keep at it. Call Samsung immediately, tell them this panel is even worse than the last one. More than likely they will then offer you a replacement. Panel replacements cost over 800 dollars in parts and labor (I would know, I have a copy of the work order that my local repair place sent to Samsung). They would be hesitant to do yet another panel replacement on your TV.

Just call the ECR's. They are the ones that actually have the authority to replace a TV.
motoracer51's Avatar motoracer51 05:33 PM 02-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBat View Post

Keep at it. Call Samsung immediately, tell them this panel is even worse than the last one. More than likely they will then offer you a replacement. Panel replacements cost over 800 dollars in parts and labor (I would know, I have a copy of the work order that my local repair place sent to Samsung). They would be hesitant to do yet another panel replacement on your TV.

Just call the ECR's. They are the ones that actually have the authority to replace a TV.

Thanks for the advice and your time.

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by ECR's?
HardBat's Avatar HardBat 06:00 PM 02-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post

Thanks for the advice and your time.

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by ECR's?

Samsung has 2 groups of people at their call center. CSR's (customer service reps) and ECR's (Executive Customer relations). They are the ones you need to talk to.
Stingray11's Avatar Stingray11 06:16 PM 02-03-2010
Well it's my turn for the DGP. Mine is actually very intermittent. It started last fall, then not too much until recently. The amount of sparkles were never too bad but I am coming up on the end of my warranty. The work was handled through AT&T ConnecTech. They shipped me a main board and the tech just installed it. We both agreed that it's doubtful the main board will fix it but it may take a few weeks before I will know. The techs stop before mine was for a Sammy with sparkles, and it was his 3rd visit. I was disappointed though that my tech didn't check the voltages.
motoracer51's Avatar motoracer51 07:56 PM 02-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray11 View Post

Well it's my turn for the DGP. Mine is actually very intermittent. It started last fall, then not too much until recently. The amount of sparkles were never too bad but I am coming up on the end of my warranty. The work was handled through AT&T ConnecTech. They shipped me a main board and the tech just installed it. We both agreed that it's doubtful the main board will fix it but it may take a few weeks before I will know. The techs stop before mine was for a Sammy with sparkles, and it was his 3rd visit. I was disappointed though that my tech didn't check the voltages.


That will be the next time they come out to try to "fix" it. Get read for a run-around.
motoracer51's Avatar motoracer51 03:06 PM 02-05-2010
Just wanted to update this thread, like I did the other as to my experiences with Samsung:


Samsung offered me a refund of $1,237.49 on my tv I paid $2,249.00 in 2007.

They said that there were no more comparable tv's in stock for a similar exchange, and that they weren't making plasmas's anymore ( unsure of the truthfulness to this ) .

I guess I'll cut my losses and move on....
mattldm's Avatar mattldm 02:54 PM 03-04-2010
The back panel of my TV is starting to buzz more frequently! If i tap the back panel it will usually stop the buzzing but this gets annoying! Contacted Samsung and they sent me to an authorized repair shop and they want $250 to fix it!

Why is everything so expensive to repair!

Onkyo wants more money than my receiver is worth (tx-sr705) to fix the mute that doesn't work!
mattldm's Avatar mattldm 07:50 AM 03-09-2010
Was there a post in this thread where someone showed pics of the back of the TV being removed and where the Techs but the tape to stop the buzzing??

I have been searching and cant find it, maybe im thinking of another thread?

My 5084 is buzzing frequently and is out of warranty so I want to try to fix it myself... I was quoted $250 to look at it!
motoracer51's Avatar motoracer51 08:22 AM 03-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

Was there a post in this thread where someone showed pics of the back of the TV being removed and where the Techs but the tape to stop the buzzing??

I have been searching and cant find it, maybe im thinking of another thread?

My 5084 is buzzing frequently and is out of warranty so I want to try to fix it myself... I was quoted $250 to look at it!


Try calling Samsung. My tv was out of warranty, and they still ended up giving me my money back. This might be because it was a known problem - I don't know.

Worth a try though.
mattldm's Avatar mattldm 03:04 PM 03-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post

Try calling Samsung. My tv was out of warranty, and they still ended up giving me my money back. This might be because it was a known problem - I don't know.

Worth a try though.

Damn, just talked to samsung and they had me re-register my TV with a different email account and it added 3 months to the warranty!!! Weird, but Im not arguing!
mattldm's Avatar mattldm 01:18 PM 03-20-2010
Had my TV repaired by the Samsung Tech. He basically took the back of the TV off and applied some tape to several spots on the back panel and it has stopped the panel buzz completely so far!

These are what was buzzing against the back panel:

bozer's Avatar bozer 03:02 PM 04-03-2010
Can someone posted there settings for playing games on the PS3, specfically God of War 3? I've found this game to be extremely dark in some spots and I even turned the brightness all the way up in the game settings. I know its supposed to be a dark game but some spots are too dark due to my TV.
essixx's Avatar essixx 04:09 AM 05-06-2010
Just want to contribute. I have followed this thread since I purchased my 5084 in Jan. 2008. I purchased the MACK Warranty right away. Shortly after the manufacture warranty expired in Jan. of this year, my television would randomly shut off. As the weeks went on It became more frequent and took several tries to turn the set back on. Finally three weeks ago, my set would not turn on.
I contacted MACK.They requested my contract number, my receipt showing I paid for their warranty, and receipt for television. After e-mailing this info, within 24 hours they requested I call Samsung to find the nearest authorized Samsung repair shop.
Had to call Mack to give them that info as well as get their authorization to pay for the service call to have the set diagnosed. I called the repair shop and set up appointment.
Within three days the repairman came out and found a bad power supply board. They contacted MACK for authorization to order and replace power supply, Which MACK did. Now just waiting for the repair tech to come back this Friday and replace the part.
I'm happy I purchased the warranty and it certainly paid for itself.
Miss my 5804 so much I went out and purchased a new Samsung 50" plasma PN50C450B1DXZA. Awesome set for the price, and of course I will be getting the MACK warranty with this one too!
jjh92's Avatar jjh92 08:03 AM 05-08-2011
Reviving an old thread. Just had a marvelous breakthrough with my FP-T5084.

I was experiencing the DGS green speckling which was annoying but then the TV went power dead. I researched and found out it was likely the fuse. I took the back off and replaced the fuse, everything was working again. I left it setup without the back on to ensure everything was okay. To my surprize, no green speckles. The picture is better than its ever been.

Conclusion is that the heat with the back on was causing something to drift. I know there are dangerous voltages back there but I do not have kids in the house so I plan to leave the back off.

If you have the DGS green speckles, give this a try. Alternately, use a fan and blow cool air into the back.
saibari's Avatar saibari 10:33 AM 05-08-2011
Thanks for posting this jjh92. I'm noticing some speckling in dark areas of the display. I don't know that it's green though. Maybe it's a fuse issue as well. Unfortunately, I'm clueless about such things. Might you be able to post a picture and some simple instructions. I don't have kids in the house either, so the idea of leaving the back off seems good... however, what about dust build-up? ... Thanks much!
PaulInParkSlope's Avatar PaulInParkSlope 07:09 PM 09-12-2011
My 5084 just went .

It fizzed, and a big cloud of smoke came out of the back. Its dead, and certainly out of warranty. Now what?
First ... 142  143  144 145 

Up
Mobile  Desktop