Samsung FPT5084, 50", 1080p, 15000:1 Contrast ratio. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4325 Old 06-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw the 5084 next to the 50PZ700U and was impressed by both. The 5084 appeared to be slightly brighter than the 1080p Panny.

In response to tvstud's post, for what ever reason, Samsung plasmas are extremely prone to burn-in during the first few hundred hours. My cousin has the 5053 and ran a break-in DVD for the first 200 hours and has had no problems with burn-in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4325 Old 06-24-2007, 08:59 PM

This 5084 looks aesthetically awsome. I saw it at cc on display. The frame looks identical to the Samsung LNT-65F series. However, all of the websites, including the Samsung website show this tv looking different then what it actually is. Anyone know anything about this?
post #93 of 4325 Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed that as well. I'm not a fan of the silver side highlights. I wouldn't use the TV speakers, so I would probably find a way to remove them. It is a sharp looking set though.
post #94 of 4325 Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 AM

They look similar to the 65F LCDs, but not identical. They are less rounded on the bottom and have the silver side highlights that wsfanatic mentioned.

Anyone know anybody who has bought one?
post #95 of 4325 Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin98 View Post

They look similar to the 65F LCDs, but not identical. They are less rounded on the bottom and have the silver side highlights that wsfanatic mentioned.

Anyone know anybody who has bought one?

Yes they have here is a link to the thread .
post #96 of 4325 Old 06-25-2007, 09:46 AM

Liked: 13
I just bought this TV yesterday, and should be getting it on tues

Does anyone have a link for calibration/setup guide? From everything I've read, a plasma takes a good bit of tweaking out of the box to get the best picture quality.

Anyways, I'll be sure to post some pics/experiences in the next few days, would appreciate any help/info on setup though
post #97 of 4325 Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Way to go mike !^
yes please let us know how it goes .
post #98 of 4325 Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonviper04 View Post

Yes they have here is a link to the thread .

Danka!
post #99 of 4325 Old 06-25-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonviper04 View Post

Way to go mike !^
yes please let us know how it goes .

thx, though it did set me back a pretty penny.

i've got another thread here, but i'll post it in this one as well.

basically i've got a little less than 2 weeks before i move into a new apartment, but in that 2 weeks i'd like to knock out any break in/burn in on this plasma. can anyone suggest a thread, dvd/software, etc?

i'm used to tweaking (longtime PC overclocking enthusiast), but i've never owned a plasma before and if anyone could link a howto that'd be useful on this plasma, i'd really appreciate it. also a quick list of what 'not to do', and things to be sure to do, and why, if possible, would be of much help.
post #100 of 4325 Old 06-26-2007, 07:14 AM

Well for one just make sure you stretch all of that SD(4:3) stuff so you dont get the black bars and burn in.
post #101 of 4325 Old 06-26-2007, 10:33 PM

Hey guys, I've never had a flat TV before and still using my 27" Sony from 1999 (ouch!) so I'm planning on buying a Plasma TV. However, I'm torn apart in between the Sammy 5084, Panny 42PZ700U and even considering the Pioneer 4280 - too expensive though for being 42" and 768p . A 50" TV is kinda too big for my place/couch setup. Wish they made the 5084 Sammy in 42" too.

Last week I saw the 5084 Sammy next to the new TH-50PZ750U Panasonic and right under it they've just gotten the new-hyped 4280 Pioneer - at the ABT Electronics store in North Chicago. They were all on Discovery HD and I could not tell any difference between the Panny and the Pio - as a matter of fact, the blacks on the Pio had a very vague tint of dark green (??) - might have not been calibrated.
The colors on the Sammy however were SLIGHTLY more vivid. The Panny was slightly dimmer/colors faded than the other too, but you could only notice this if you moved your eyes really quick across all three of them. Staring at the Panny alone though, you wouldn't be able to tell. It must be that "anti-glare" thing that the Pannasonics have on now.
On the other hand, I read that the new 8th gen. Pioneers have a new technology and they're capable of 3:3 pulldown for better playback of film content along with picture-in-picture and picture-side-picture, bla bla bla...

I'm also considering another thing that people seem to forget: that only A FEW stations broadcast SOME shows/movies in HD so I would be very interested in finding out how do these three brands' Plasmas deal with the SD programming. They all do more or less perfect in HD, but how about the non HD content - it'll be years till all TV broadcast will be in HD. I'm a news junkie and have the tv on, on CNN for hours.
It would be interesting to hear an objective and unbiased opinion of choice between these three brands. Anybody please?

Oh, and on top of everything, Samsung will have the latest LED LCD's technology out and selling later this year - "Samsung plans to put the product on sale worldwide in the second half of this year." See their 14th of June press release "SAMSUNG Introduces 70 Full-HD LCD TV with Local Dimming Technology" on the Samsung site. (sorry, no direct link, I can't post direct links yet, I'm under 5 postings).

I guess that once you decide to buy the TV, it becomes soon becomes "old" because of always-newer models coming out every few months...
post #102 of 4325 Old 06-26-2007, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
i suggest the PIONEER PDP-5080 if you want PQ yes its expensive because new things on market etc etc but its pretty much the best in terms of PQ avaiable for the price on cosumer line up, yes its not true 1080p but what is avaiable? just xbox 360/ps3 and bd/hd disc not even satelite/cable offers true 1080p its only i
the pio must of been a bad set or the feed was bad , try seeing the pio at BB&M
out of all you mentioned i would get the pio in a heartbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777b View Post

Hey guys, I've never had a flat TV before and still using my 27" Sony from 1999 (ouch!) so I'm planning on buying a Plasma TV. However, I'm torn apart in between the Sammy 5084, Panny 42PZ700U and even considering the Pioneer 4280 - too expensive though for being 42" and 768p . A 50" TV is kinda too big for my place/couch setup. Wish they made the 5084 Sammy in 42" too.

Last week I saw the 5084 Sammy next to the new TH-50PZ750U Panasonic and right under it they've just gotten the new-hyped 4280 Pioneer - at the ABT Electronics store in North Chicago. They were all on Discovery HD and I could not tell any difference between the Panny and the Pio - as a matter of fact, the blacks on the Pio had a very vague tint of dark green (??) - might have not been calibrated.
The colors on the Sammy however were SLIGHTLY more vivid. The Panny was slightly dimmer/colors faded than the other too, but you could only notice this if you moved your eyes really quick across all three of them. Staring at the Panny alone though, you wouldn't be able to tell. It must be that "anti-glare" thing that the Pannasonics have on now.
On the other hand, I read that the new 8th gen. Pioneers have a new technology and they're capable of 3:3 pulldown for better playback of film content along with picture-in-picture and picture-side-picture, bla bla bla...

I'm also considering another thing that people seem to forget: that only A FEW stations broadcast SOME shows/movies in HD so I would be very interested in finding out how do these three brands' Plasmas deal with the SD programming. They all do more or less perfect in HD, but how about the non HD content - it'll be years till all TV broadcast will be in HD. I'm a news junkie and have the tv on, on CNN for hours.
It would be interesting to hear an objective and unbiased opinion of choice between these three brands. Anybody please?

Oh, and on top of everything, Samsung will have the latest LED LCD's technology out and selling later this year - "Samsung plans to put the product on sale worldwide in the second half of this year." See their 14th of June press release "SAMSUNG Introduces 70 Full-HD LCD TV with Local Dimming Technology" on the Samsung site. (sorry, no direct link, I can't post direct links yet, I'm under 5 postings).

I guess that once you decide to buy the TV, it becomes soon becomes "old" because of always-newer models coming out every few months...

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #103 of 4325 Old 06-27-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

i suggest the PIONEER PDP-5080 if you want PQ yes its expensive because new things on market etc etc but its pretty much the best in terms of PQ avaiable for the price on cosumer line up, yes its not true 1080p but what is avaiable? just xbox 360/ps3 and bd/hd disc not even satelite/cable offers true 1080p its only i

gus738, just a couple weeks ago, you were crazy for the Samsung fp-t5084, and now I see you're crazy for the 5080. What made you change your mind so quickly?
post #104 of 4325 Old 06-27-2007, 01:14 PM

Got a question about the 5084 Samsung...

My Power went off and lost my Picture settings, can anyone tell me what the factory settings are, all I remember is the contrast was at 100, and i think there might have been a number 64 somewhere but i totally forget, just need the brightness, sharpness, and color.

Also Lets say a PS3 video game supports 1080p can you go down to 720p, just wondering how to change the resolution, but I think you have to change it under the settings on the PS3, just got this TV on Saturday trying to figure somethings out..

Thanks
post #105 of 4325 Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 PM

does anyone have a link, or can post, a setup/calibration guide for the 5084? Or a guide that'll work for one?
post #106 of 4325 Old 06-27-2007, 02:48 PM

So, it seems people are getting these home. How do the owners like their new TV's? Give us info starved people a home review. How's the HD over the tuner? How is the SD quality? Do you love it?
post #107 of 4325 Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5084PWNZ View Post

Also Lets say a PS3 video game supports 1080p can you go down to 720p, just wondering how to change the resolution, but I think you have to change it under the settings on the PS3, just got this TV on Saturday trying to figure somethings out..

Thanks

wait, you want to run your ps3 video games @720p, instead of 1080p?

or did i misunderstand you?

i can't imagine any reason to do that on a 1080p plasma, but maybe i'm wrong...

also, i'm going to be hooking this thing up tomorrow, gonna break it in a bit.

for the SD question, no cable tv at this house, but i'll be sure to let you know how it looks with rabbit ears! (i wonder if I could get into the guiness book of world records for being the first person to hook rabbit ears up to a 5084)

Also, anyone that has anything on a solid calibration guide would be doing me a world of help. I'm pretty tech savvy, but I need the info first, manual alone seems rather scary, and I really don't want to try it with just the manual, as I'll probably end up springing for the in home calibration service, which to my knowledge is absurdly expensive (at least for someone that just bought a 5084 and only makes <30k a year).

Would really like to go the DIY front on this, but there are a TON of settings, and I've got no clue where or how to start.

Surely there must be an official or semi official calibration thread/guide that is good, and pertains a decent bit to the 5084 line...
post #108 of 4325 Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

Today I was on a few hours' field-trip to two BBuys and a CCity in my area (Chicago).

In one of the BB's they had the 5084 Sammy next to an "open item" 5071 Pioneer and not far from a 50PZ700U Panasonic. The Sammy and Pio were almost identical, BUT the Pio had slightly less "noise" and a better black. The Panasonic was nice but slightly dimmer than the other two / colors not so vivid.
I asked the BB guy what was up w/ a 5071 Pio model that I've never heard of. He said it's a special model made by Pioneer ONLY for BBuys (what??). I asked if any of the three were calibrated - he said the Samsung was, but the Pio not and didn't know about the Panasonic. He recommended the Pioneer for the best PQ and Panasonic for the best budget quality plasma. His scale was 1.Pio - best PQ but expensive -> 2.Sammy - best PQ and price combo -> 3.Panasonic - great PQ and good price; in that order.
I hated to agree w/ him that the 5071 Pio really had a slightly better picture than the 5084 Sammy, since I really like Samsung as a brand. According to the BB rep., the 5071 Pio was brought back because it was too big for the owners. The newer 4280 Pio was in the back and they didn't want to put it out untill they will sell the 5071 "open item" (marketing crap?).

The trip to the 2nd BB was less interesting - the Magnolia section there did not have any of the newest sets. They had the Samsung 40-4666F LCD's, the 50PZ700U Panasonics and the 11 and 1540HD Pioneeers. They also had the 5084 Sammy and 4280 Pio in the back but not out yet till they would sell the old ones (more marketing bull).

At CCity they had just put up the 5084 Samsung, and the rep. there was totally boring. They don't carry any Pioneers (he said they won't sell), and no PZ-750U Panasonics were to be seen (just the 700U). He also said he doesn't believe in reviews because they're all biased (whoa! or maybe hmmmmmmmm... ).

Think I almost made up my mind - it will be between the Samsung and the new Pioneer. I'll just wait for the prices to go a little lower (and by then, for sure that some new model will catch my eye... )
post #109 of 4325 Old 06-27-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5084PWNZ View Post

My Power went off and lost my Picture settings, can anyone tell me what the factory settings are, all I remember is the contrast was at 100, and i think there might have been a number 64 somewhere but i totally forget, just need the brightness, sharpness, and color.

Thanks

While at BBuy today, I played w/ the 5084 Samsung remote.
The rep. there said it was calibrated, and as I remember, the "Picture" settings were:
Mode: Dynamic
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 49
Sharpness: 43
Color: 54

I was surprised to see the contrast set to 100 (maximum!)- doesn't that damage the set in a shorter time? Also, both Brightness and Sharpness were under 50, which for me seemed strange...

These might not be the default factory settings, but the calibration ones.

Go to Samsung's website -> products -> tv -> Plasma -> HP-T5084 -> Download Center (on the right of the page) -> Manuals -> User Manual. There you can download a User's Manual in "pdf" format. Open the pdf and go to page 26-27 -> 7. "Resetting the Picture Settings to the Factory Defaults". Voila!

Another think that struck me was the inability to change the Black Levels and get the Picture in Picture to work. Both were "grayed out" and the rep told me that whatever source was providing the feed to the TV was not through an HDMI cable, otherwise the two options would have been activated. The Black Level option was actually called "HDMI Black level", hence the need for a HDMI cable for the signal feed.
post #110 of 4325 Old 06-27-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenage View Post

So, it seems people are getting these home. How do the owners like their new TV's? Give us info starved people a home review. How's the HD over the tuner? How is the SD quality? Do you love it?

Yeah, what's up guys? Really curious here too on how does the SD look - we all know HD looks great, but how about good ole' SD programs?
Thanks.
post #111 of 4325 Old 06-28-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelz85 View Post

does anyone have a link, or can post, a setup/calibration guide for the 5084? Or a guide that'll work for one?

Here's a link to a generic home-made general calibration guide:

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108...=main.optimize

Do a search on Google and see if anything comes up.
post #112 of 4325 Old 06-28-2007, 07:07 AM

I think I was indirectly referred to as a fanboy of Samsung. While I may be a Samsung "fanboy," and I may have overstated the difference between the 5084 and the 700U a little bit, the main reason I saw a difference was because the Samsung just looked brigther and more vivid than the 700U, even after I changed the settings on the Panasonic to increase the brightness, etc. It makes me feel a little better that almost everyone who has seen the 2 sets side by side also notice that the Samsung is slightly more vivid than the 700U. I'm just surprised that the HD Guru was so high on the 750U, given the Panasonic looks a little dim to me. Maybe there's a special way to calibrate the 700U and the stores aren't doing it correctly. If that's the case, I think it's a shame. I just wish some of the technology web sites would start reviewing the 700U and the t5084 to give us a better idea of the quality of the sets.

Also for those of you who purchased the t5084, please share your experiences so far! I'd especially like to hear your experiences with SD.
post #113 of 4325 Old 06-28-2007, 07:22 AM

any known judder issues with the 5084 like the 54/64 series sets?
post #114 of 4325 Old 06-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777b View Post

Here's a link to a generic home-made general calibration guide:

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108...=main.optimize

Do a search on Google and see if anything comes up.

surely someone here has made a comprehensive post/thread/guide that is better than cnet?!

also, i've made a post in the break in thread about contrast/brightness settings, but there's been no reply.

I'm wondering if I should set the contrast/brightness at 1/2 for break in, or slightly higher than normal settings. the start of the thread suggests 1/2, but it's 2 years old, and newer posts say to run slightly higher than normal.

on a new plasma, what should I use?
post #115 of 4325 Old 06-28-2007, 01:42 PM

Thats funny that alot of the BB guys say the tv's are calibrated. Calibrated to them probably means that its on and working!

Home Theater, 700 HP cars, golf, and snow skiing are all expensive habits for a 24 year old!
post #116 of 4325 Old 06-29-2007, 06:13 PM

Oddest thing everytime I turn on the PS3 via HDMI 1.3a, the 5084 seems to have a defult HD settings

Mode: Dynamic
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 75
Color: 55

I might just use this for TV too because...
It's APSOLUTLY BEAUTIFUL!

Also I have regular cable too (getting ditgital and HD soon) (fun fact: all cable will be digital Febuary 17th 2009) and it looks fine, its not even really choppy except for a few local channels but its still fine for regular, looks better than most cuz i tested cable at CC and this Samsung was the best

But those settings work for me
post #117 of 4325 Old 06-29-2007, 07:10 PM

I just got a very limited look at BB today. Would have been longer but my 1 year old was freaking. I couldn't find the TV and I asked the Magnolia guy where it was. He had to look it up to even see if they had it. They did, it was in it's own room with the speakers.

They an the Eagles live DVD playing on it. It looked really bad! Almost like a worn VHS tape on zoom. Next he turned on D*tv HD and it looked pretty good, I think the movie was Sahara? Colors where great but the fine detail was so so. Then I had him turn on news, cnbc, it was acceptable. I really need more time to play with this thing.

I asked the sales man if the TV had been calibrated or if the settings where as they came out of the box. He told me that "these new TV's don't need to be calibrated". So I asked him again if the settings where the default and he said they where.

On the way out I saw that Pio Elite 50" w/1080p. Man that's a nice TV.

I told my wife "wait till I tell the guys on AVS about that sales man". And I thought he was the geek
post #118 of 4325 Old 06-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Does the 5084 have side mounted speakers or bottom mounted? I saw one in the store and I thought it had side mounted speakers, just like the xx65 series Sammy LCD's, but when I got home to research everywhere I read says they're bottom mounted?

52XBR4
55HX929
post #119 of 4325 Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenage View Post

I just got a very limited look at BB today. Would have been longer but my 1 year old was freaking. I couldn't find the TV and I asked the Magnolia guy where it was. He had to look it up to even see if they had it. They did, it was in it's own room with the speakers.

They an the Eagles live DVD playing on it. It looked really bad! Almost like a worn VHS tape on zoom. Next he turned on D*tv HD and it looked pretty good, I think the movie was Sahara? Colors where great but the fine detail was so so. Then I had him turn on news, cnbc, it was acceptable. I really need more time to play with this thing.

I asked the sales man if the TV had been calibrated or if the settings where as they came out of the box. He told me that "these new TV's don't need to be calibrated". So I asked him again if the settings where the default and he said they where.

On the way out I saw that Pio Elite 50" w/1080p. Man that's a nice TV.

I told my wife "wait till I tell the guys on AVS about that sales man". And I thought he was the geek

I've seen other tvs playing the Eagles DVD at CC and it always looks grainy. I read somewhere, too, that BB wasn't using HDMI cables on their tvs. I would imagine that would affect the picture as well.
post #120 of 4325 Old 06-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

HDMI vs component in a B&M has no bearing on PQ. Store feeds are split so many times that the minute differences between HDMI and component wouldn't be seen.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page