Samsung FPT5084, 50", 1080p, 15000:1 Contrast ratio. - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 4325 Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
EADGBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgates22 View Post

I generally agree, but I was at the Samsung Experience store today and noticed something interesting on the 5084. They were broadcasting the YES Network Yankees game in HD, and while the broadcast looked pretty good (I observed some noise and some white crush), I was very pleasantly surprised by the commercials, which were in HD. I dare to say the picture quality was very good to great on the SD commercials. Addtionally, on the SD car commercials where they put the white type on the black background, there was hardly any noise, which is an exception to the rule from what I've seen.

I've been very impressed by the black levels on the 5084. I'm not thrilled with the skin tones I've seen so far. The skin looks to pinkish/reddish on all the 5084's I've seen so far. The woman at the Samsung Experience store told me they had their 5084s (they have 2 right next to eaach other) professionally calibrated, but I still found the skin tones to be off. This is in stark contrast to the 700Us that I've seen, where the skin tones look perfect.

Any comments from the current 5084 owners?

I'm 99% sure that's due to however they were calibrated. You can tweak all that stuff in the menu's.

52XBR4
55HX929
EADGBE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 4325 Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Neo1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CANADA!
Posts: 3,525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it confirmed that the FPT6374 (63" model) cannot do 24P via HDMI? Can it do 1080P60 via HDMI?
Neo1965 is offline  
post #153 of 4325 Old 07-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
kram1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I talked to there level 2 support a few weeks ago and he said no 1080p/24
Someone else posted that they were told that they were working on a possible firmware update

Heres the # 1-800 SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864) Give them a call see what they have to say Maybe if anuff people call we can get the ball rolling on a update





Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

Is it confirmed that the FPT6374 (63" model) cannot do 24P via HDMI? Can it do 1080P60 via HDMI?

kram1 is offline  
post #154 of 4325 Old 07-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Bengbeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rotterdam -NL-
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can a 5084 owner please post some pics?

Here in Europe the screen isn't in the shop yet, all we can see here is a pic from samsung.com.
Bengbeng is offline  
post #155 of 4325 Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Member
 
bgates22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UWS, Manhattan
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I saw a 5084 at another Circuit City yesterday, and it looked pretty bad. The contrast looked great, the black levels looked great, and the anti-reflective screen seemed to work great, but the picture was very blurry. I'm not sure if this is a result of poor calibration or the signal. It's the 2nd Circuit City that had a blurry 5084 with reddish skin tones. However, the 5084 I saw at Sears looked great. I wish one of the AVS gurus who has actually used the set would visit this thread and share any observations on calibration and the impact on the picture. Based on what I've seen in the stores, I wouldn't buy one of these sets.
bgates22 is offline  
post #156 of 4325 Old 07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Member
 
mikelz85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
a blurry picture could be anything from the feed, to the quality of the actual content being fed.

I dunno, run a blu-ray, in my experience those have looked sick as hell...
mikelz85 is offline  
post #157 of 4325 Old 07-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
EADGBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgates22 View Post

Well, I saw a 5084 at another Circuit City yesterday, and it looked pretty bad. The contrast looked great, the black levels looked great, and the anti-reflective screen seemed to work great, but the picture was very blurry. I'm not sure if this is a result of poor calibration or the signal. It's the 2nd Circuit City that had a blurry 5084 with reddish skin tones. However, the 5084 I saw at Sears looked great. I wish one of the AVS gurus who has actually used the set would visit this thread and share any observations on calibration and the impact on the picture. Based on what I've seen in the stores, I wouldn't buy one of these sets.

Based on what I've seen in stores and having owned an XBR2 and a 5054, I'd say it's the feed and/or the way the set was adjusted. Maybe a customer or employee screwed around with the advanced picture settings.

52XBR4
55HX929
EADGBE is offline  
post #158 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Member
 
bgates22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UWS, Manhattan
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelz85 View Post

a blurry picture could be anything from the feed, to the quality of the actual content being fed.

I dunno, run a blu-ray, in my experience those have looked sick as hell...

I saw the 5084 running a blu-ray at one store and it was "sick as hell," but just because a tv processes a 1080p signal really well doesn't mean it will process a 768p or 1080i signal really well, even if the signal is strong and clear.
bgates22 is offline  
post #159 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Senior Member
 
JimL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Johnstown, PA
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry - but just owning the 5084 and the new Sony 300 for 2 weeks - the Blu-ray picture in a word is stunning! As I have stated previously - a SD upconvert of Chronicles of Riddick was amazing and each and every Blu-ray I have played in the last 2 weeks have been better than I imagined they would look.

As for the blurry picture - I agree - watching a standard DirecTV the picture has for the most part been horrible - but I can be watching a soft blurry show and when a commercial comes on it can be so much clearer, so I agree with above - it is the source. DirecTV HD and local channels on Cable HD are just fine.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bgates22 View Post

I saw the 5084 running a blu-ray at one store and it was "sick as hell," but just because a tv processes a 1080p signal really well doesn't mean it will process a 768p or 1080i signal really well, even if the signal is strong and clear.

JimL is offline  
post #160 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Member
 
bgates22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UWS, Manhattan
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post

Sorry - but just owning the 5084 and the new Sony 300 for 2 weeks - the Blu-ray picture in a word is stunning! As I have stated previously - a SD upconvert of Chronicles of Riddick was amazing and each and every Blu-ray I have played in the last 2 weeks have been better than I imagined they would look.

As for the blurry picture - I agree - watching a standard DirecTV the picture has for the most part been horrible - but I can be watching a soft blurry show and when a commercial comes on it can be so much clearer, so I agree with above - it is the source. DirecTV HD and local channels on Cable HD are just fine.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think this was the first informal review from a 5084 owner. You say that the DT*HD channels are "just fine." Does that mean that they're not impressive? Is there anything in particular about the PQ that bothers you? Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
bgates22 is offline  
post #161 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
JimL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Johnstown, PA
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just Fine - meaning for HD not stellar. Since everyone refers to them as HD-Lite I would agree with that - and it means sometimes some shows are beautiful - and sometimes if a person just moves their head the image pixellates. Otherwise for the most part HBO-HD breaks down during the usual explosions/fire/stage lights, etc. and other HD shows vary in quality - but they are soooooo very much better than the standard D broadcasts. It is not just limited to D - my cable HD also does the same thing but generally not to the degree that D does - and our local NBC HD which I also get over the air directly - breaks down the very same way it does over cable. And the picture was absolutely perfect and the pixels really started when WJAC started to share the bandwidth and broadcast the NBC weather show - now everything from golf to NBC dramas break apart to varying degrees. And in case you are wondering - it is not just since buying the 5084 - the picture is identical on our REGZA upstairs and on a previous Sony HD set that the 5084 replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgates22 View Post

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think this was the first informal review from a 5084 owner. You say that the DT*HD channels are "just fine." Does that mean that they're not impressive? Is there anything in particular about the PQ that bothers you? Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

JimL is offline  
post #162 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Member
 
My00t8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally saw one of these today at my local Fry's on my lunch break. They were playing the same Samsung HD loop they feed to all their HDTV's that aren't individually hooked up to BD or HD-DVD players. Immediately I noticed staircasing and macroblocking on the 5084, which confirms my theory that Samsung is using a weak video processor in this generation of televisions (exact same issues my eyes see on their 61, 65 and 66 series LCD panels). The display did have great contrast and color saturation, and its black level was only ever so slightly worse than the Panasonic 50PZ700u (sitting on the very next end cap over). I just can't get past the poor video processing. Didn't they put HQV in their latest BD player? Why go cheap on the television components?
My00t8 is offline  
post #163 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Newbie
 
Snoopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well. I just got my new 5084 in the mail today after taking the plunge. I did quite a bit of reading on the forum, even went out and bought a Panny 700U, brought it home and tried it. I figured the best way to really determine picture quality was to hook up the old PC and play some straight HD from my computer that was recorded, full 1080P, for a video I am making.

The Samsung has a really, really nice picture. The color levels are a bit hot, the blacks are very very good and the bezel looks stunning. I had the two TV's right next to one another each receiving a feed of the same video. I did not notice any "blocking" as was mentioned in the prior post even when I was inches away.

It was my opinion that the Panny was a bit to dark for my liking. The Sammy seemed to have a bit more life in it.

After hooking it up to good old SD analog cable I browsed through the channels abit was decently pleased by the PQ. I'm not saying that it super, I'm saying it was watchable. I had ESPN and CNN on for at least 15 minutes each and did not notice any jitter issues. The picture I was looking at was not blurry, just a bit blocky due to the poor signal. I am upgrading from a rear projection 42" and the picture looked better than before so I'm presuming the newer processor cleaned up the image a bit.

Later this evening I will hook up the old DVD player and see how it works out.
Snoopster is offline  
post #164 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
kram1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Snoopster

Thats cool you can really get a good comparison with both TVs side by side like that.

How does the PQ on 5084 compare to the 700U on SD channels like CNN MSN and HBO ?

If your hooked up with component on the 5084 does Just Mode work and how does it compare with the 700u Just Mode ?

When i played with the 5084 at BB for some reason Just Mode was grayed out I was thinking it needed to be hooked with HDMI cable for it to work they had it hooked to component ?






Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopster View Post

Well. I just got my new 5084 in the mail today after taking the plunge. I did quite a bit of reading on the forum, even went out and bought a Panny 700U, brought it home and tried it. I figured the best way to really determine picture quality was to hook up the old PC and play some straight HD from my computer that was recorded, full 1080P, for a video I am making.

The Samsung has a really, really nice picture. The color levels are a bit hot, the blacks are very very good and the bezel looks stunning. I had the two TV's right next to one another each receiving a feed of the same video. I did not notice any "blocking" as was mentioned in the prior post even when I was inches away.

It was my opinion that the Panny was a bit to dark for my liking. The Sammy seemed to have a bit more life in it.

After hooking it up to good old SD analog cable I browsed through the channels abit was decently pleased by the PQ. I'm not saying that it super, I'm saying it was watchable. I had ESPN and CNN on for at least 15 minutes each and did not notice any jitter issues. The picture I was looking at was not blurry, just a bit blocky due to the poor signal. I am upgrading from a rear projection 42" and the picture looked better than before so I'm presuming the newer processor cleaned up the image a bit.

Later this evening I will hook up the old DVD player and see how it works out.

kram1 is offline  
post #165 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Bengbeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rotterdam -NL-
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengbeng View Post

Can a 5084 owner please post some pics?

I try the request again.
Bengbeng is offline  
post #166 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
EADGBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram1 View Post

Snoopster

Thats cool you can really get a good comparison with both TVs side by side like that.

How does the PQ on 5084 compare to the 700U on SD channels like CNN MSN and HBO ?

If your hooked up with component on the 5084 does Just Mode work and how does it compare with the 700u Just Mode ?

When i played with the 5084 at BB for some reason Just Mode was grayed out I was thinking it needed to be hooked with HDMI cable for it to work they had it hooked to component ?

These TV's and the Sammy LCD's only do Just Scan over HDMI and PC input.

52XBR4
55HX929
EADGBE is offline  
post #167 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
EADGBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm either going to get a 5084 or 5265. Decisions, decisions. I have a 5054 but the judder issue is driving me crazy so it's going back.

52XBR4
55HX929
EADGBE is offline  
post #168 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Newbie
 
Snoopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok.... I have to split this up into posts due to my low post count so I can provide pictures.

The PQ debate question. Hum, good question. Given the fact that neither of the displays have been calibrated and these are comparisons directly out of the box it is hard to say which would turn out better in the end.
Snoopster is offline  
post #169 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Newbie
 
Snoopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This evening I played Ghost Rider (BlueRay) (horrible movie....) over HDMI on both screens. Both of them looked awesome. I was particually interested in some of the more fast action scenes to attempt to observe any type of blurring or artifacts. Maybe my eyes are going bad, but I did not notice anything on either set. At points when there was a lot of dark and the old fire head thing going on I tried to watch the edges of the clips between the black and the color to see which was handling the picture better. This is one area where I think the Sammy did an outstanding job. On the Panny it seemed like the black to bright orange was a bit blocky compared to the Sammy. Honestly both sets have wonderful pictures. The Sammy a bit brighter thats just about it.
Snoopster is offline  
post #170 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Newbie
 
Snoopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With regards to the SD question on HBO, MSN etc.... There ARE differences here. First of all, as I stated earlier there is no noticeable judder/jitter issue to my eyes with the new 5084. I'm going to admit that most of my time this evening on the sets was spent watching Mythbusters..... so I'll comment around that. It seems as if the Panny might win out on the analog SD. It did a wonderful job processing the poor signal and smoothing out the rough spots. The Sammy in spots was a bit chunky. I did have the signal split, and using two different cables. Now that being said, I would not place the Sammy out on the street because of this. I was honestly two feet away when I was trying to make these comparisons.
Snoopster is offline  
post #171 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Newbie
 
Snoopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sound: The speakers on the Sammy are wonderful. That being said, I won't be using them much due to my sound system, but if one wanted to just listen to the TV, the Sammy beats the Panny hands down.

I'll have to apologized for splitting the posts up once again, I know it is extremely annoying.

Secondly, I know that my posts are not extremely technical, I'm simply trying to review the sets as a normal, non geeky consumer would do.
Snoopster is offline  
post #172 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Newbie
 
Snoopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And finally a few simple pictures.

FP-T5084 Pictures
Snoopster is offline  
post #173 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Senior Member
 
kram1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Snoopster

Thanks for taking the time to post your non Geeky review

So the question is which one do you think your going to keep ?
kram1 is offline  
post #174 of 4325 Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Newbie
 
Snoopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Sammy 5084. Guess I'll go against the flow and cast my vote. I've already boxed the Panny up. Did I mention the Sammy physically looks better than the Panny?
Snoopster is offline  
post #175 of 4325 Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Senior Member
 
kram1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about the 1080p/24 Judder issue when watching Blueray filmed at 24p any comment on that ?
kram1 is offline  
post #176 of 4325 Old 07-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Member
 
bgates22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UWS, Manhattan
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopster View Post

The Sammy 5084. Guess I'll go against the flow and cast my vote. I've already boxed the Panny up. Did I mention the Sammy physically looks better than the Panny?

Snoopster, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. Can you also comment on the cable HD picture quality between the 2?

Thanks again.
bgates22 is offline  
post #177 of 4325 Old 07-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Newbie
 
Snoopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the long delay on the reply. I cannot comment on either the BlueRay 24 nor the HD cable as I do not have access to either of those formats currently.
Snoopster is offline  
post #178 of 4325 Old 07-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Member
 
TKandil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Norfolk, Va.
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased it last night, but it wouldn't fit in the 4Runner I am going in about 2-3 hours to pick up the 5084. I am so excited!!

Also, the guy at the store said to NEVER lay a plasma screen flat when moving it. He says it messes up the screen. Anybody know if this true or have more info?

I will post my initial review later today.
T-
TKandil is offline  
post #179 of 4325 Old 07-15-2007, 01:27 PM
 
scsnospam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TKandil, so what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKandil View Post

I purchased it last night, but it wouldn't fit in the 4Runner I am going in about 2-3 hours to pick up the 5084. I am so excited!!

Also, the guy at the store said to NEVER lay a plasma screen flat when moving it. He says it messes up the screen. Anybody know if this true or have more info?

I will post my initial review later today.
T-

scsnospam is offline  
post #180 of 4325 Old 07-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
 
JimL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Johnstown, PA
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I for one - the more I watch Blu-ray and upconverted SD DVDs the more I love this set!!!!!!
JimL is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off