AVS Forum banner

Samsung FPT5084, 50", 1080p, 15000:1 Contrast ratio.

567K views 4K replies 491 participants last post by  lordvader 
#1 ·
How come i can't find much of any information for

Your favorite TV shows have never looked better. This 50 in. Widescreen Plasma HDTV from Samsung features full HD 1080p resolution and the innovative Ultra FilterBright™ anti-glare filter. The FP-T5084 features HD-grade 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution, 18-bit color processing and an amazing 15,000:1 contrast ratio. Its Built-in Bottom Speakers makes the most of the SRS TruSurround XT™ system and the 10-watt per channel built-in audio amplifier. Comes with 2 rear & 1 side HDMI connections.

* Powerful anti-burn-in technology keeps your screen free of burned-in images

* Power save feature; Energy Star compliant

* NTSC/ATSC tuners with Clear QAM

* Theater Game Mode

* 2 component connections, 2 S-Video connections and 2 composite connections

* PC Input; Headphone jack

* Consumer Electronic Control (HDMI-CEC) compliant; includes swivel stand

CNET REVIEW

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-a...tag=prod.txt.1

CNET editors' review

Excellent

out of 10

The good: Reproduces a deep level of black; offers clean image with little noise or false contouring; provides plenty of picture controls, including user-adjustable grayscale; has a sleek, extra-wide look.

The bad: Somewhat nonlinear grayscale; ho-hum standard-def processing; less-effective glare-reducing screen.

The bottom line: With accurate color and deep black levels, the Samsung FP-T5084 50-inch plasma's picture stands up well against some tough competition.

See less See more
#4 ·
This TV was released on 1 May, only at Sears AFAIK, and it is at the MSRP of $3500.

I was going to post about it, but, since I won't be buying a Plasma until Sept., I decided to wait and see when someone would notice it was available; it took eight days to notice.

Physically, I notice this TV is markedly taller than the Panny, and the Contrast spec. is better, but we know numbers to tell the full story. Samsung makes good plasmas from what I have read here; I will be considering this one for sure. I will try to take a look at it soon.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/0

This TV was released on 1 May, only at Sears AFAIK, and it is at the MSRP of $3500.

I was going to post about it, but, since I won't be buying a Plasma until Sept., I decided to wait and see when someone would notice it was available; it took eight days to notice.

Physically, I notice this TV is markedly taller than the Panny, and the Contrast spec. is better, but we know numbers to tell the full story. Samsung makes good plasmas from what I have read here; I will be considering this one for sure. I will try to take a look at it soon.

I heard samsung dont make good plasmas. The best to go with is a panasonic or pioneer.

I'm going to see how the Samasung and the new panasoinic 750 compete.

#10 ·
Even when the tv is available you won't find them on display except for the nicest of sears stores.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickoa1 /forum/post/0

I heard samsung dont make good plasmas. The best to go with is a panasonic or pioneer.

I'm going to see how the Samasung and the new panasoinic 750 compete.

I would have agreed with this two years ago. Last year Samsung made significant strides with their large screen displays including plasma. Their DLPs became first rate, for that technology, and their plasmas became respectable.

I still prefered Panny and Pioneer for several reasons last year. However, I warned people then that if Samsung continued to make quality strides that they could soon become first tier. I haven't been able to compare their newest displays so I don't know whether they have actually made it this year but I do know they are a very smart and agressive CE company. I believe they judge the market very well with styling and features that are appealing.

They have incorporated the Reon chip into their BD player. If they were willing to do similar to their displays, then they could really push the PQ envelope.

Cheers,

Gary

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/0

Apparently, Samsung thinks they are a first-tier manufacturer of Plasmas, as this TV is priced the same as the Panny 700U; whether they are or not, is up to the consumer to decide.

Actually its going to compete with the Panny 750 which also has 3 HDMI 1.3.

Those are the two sets that I'm waiting for.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickoa1 /forum/post/0

Actually its going to compete with the Panny 750 which also has 3 HDMI 1.3.

Just because of the same number of HDMI 1.3 ports?

I don't think so. There would have to be other reasons to think it is a direct competitor. Maybe there are?

Both the Samsung 84 and Panasonic 700 are MSRP $3500.

The Panasonic 750 has a MSRP higher, at $4000 (IIRC), it is a reference type display, and is set for limited distribution.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35 /forum/post/0

So since the Panny 700u has a 5000:1 contrast ratio, and the 84 series Plasma has a 15000:1 contrast ratio, does that mean the Samsung will have darker blacks, and a better grayscale variation?

Comparing Contrast Ratios between manufacturers doesn't usually help determine which one is better; it is best to look at the display.

#22 ·
Just today Samsung listed this model on their web site:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/P...PT5084XXAA.asp

Looking at the specs, it is almost identical to the 5064, except for the increased resolution and the warranty, which is now 2 years instead of 1.

Question is, is this model worth the $1000 premium over the 720p model? And new owners of it will be the guinea pigs, taking firmware patches to iron out the inevitable issues a new product has.

#23 ·
Panasonic and Pioneer seem to be pricing a $1500 premium for 1080p. Looking at the all three brands in stores I find the Pio's and the Sammy's to be close in tone vs the Panny's which are distinctly different. I personally like the Sammy/Pio look vs. the Panny's so the Sammy 1080p here looks very attractive... Now if I could just find out when these are going to hit other reputable online stores like clevelandplasma I would be that much happier.

#24 ·
Alright! Finally! i was waiting for the specs on this plasma to finally be released. I was expecting the naming to be HP not FP, but i'm guessing it has something to do with the Full HD vs. HD hence F vs. H...whatever...i'm just glad some specs are out. Dying to see how this plasma compares to the Panasonic 750; those are my two choices right now. If someone is aware of where a 5084 can be purchased or a good review please post.

Also, i'm hoping some of the usual reliable folks on this forum can give us a good comparison of at least the basic features and how they compare to similar offerings of other manufacturers, i.e. Panasonic 750.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Looking at the specs, it is almost identical to the 5064, except for the increased resolution and the warranty, which is now 2 years instead of 1.

Question is, is this model worth the $1000 premium over the 720p model? And new owners of it will be the guinea pigs, taking firmware patches to iron out the inevitable issues a new product has.[/quote]

How is a buyer of the FP5084 a guinea pig?

If the 5084 is identical to the 5064- except for increased resolution- than it's not only just as good- it's better.

I plan on buying the FP5084.

My last plasma was a Samsung and I loved it.

They also have great customer service and even sent a tech out to calibrate the plasma.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.