SD on 1080p native Plasma. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-30-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, im shopping for a new TV to replace my ancient 27" crt. I don't watch TV much, i don't even have cable, the TV is for movies and games on a 360. I do watch VHS from time to time though, and lots of SD DVD's. Right now im leaning towards the 50PZ700U because of the great review and because i love the movie theater feeling and plan to sit at 6-8 feet from it. I haven't compared 1080p vs 720p on a 50" at that distance myself, im going by what ive read on here, but im also concerned about PQ on this set when fed lesser quality VHS. I live in Montreal Canada and getting this set is 1000$ more than a 720p set like the PX75, so im paying 1000$ for 1080p... Bothers me a little, but i don't want to regret not going 1080p in a few years. I read this set is good at SD, but would a 720p set be better at it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-31-2007, 01:00 PM

I got the 700U a few weeks ago and love it. 1080p material looks insanely good but I do not think SD looks as good as it did on my old mitsubishi CRT. Since you don't watch broadcast tv much and I'm guessing you may plan on using your xbox for entertainment then you might have a problem with the 700U The main reason is the 700U can't display full 1080p using the VGA connection, only HDMI can display the full 1080p. So unless you have an xbox elite you can't take advantage of the full res. I haven't messed with the VGA connection much so I don't know what it actually does when you send a 1080p signal to it. I use HDMI connected to my PC to play games and watch movies at 1080p.

If you plan on watching SD most of the time then I don't think the 700U would be worth the extra money for 1080p ,but if you think you'll be watching more HD in the future then I highly recommend it.

Lesser quality VHS tapes will probably look better on a CRT.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-31-2007, 01:48 PM

IMO Yes, a 720p set would be better suited for the scenario described, especially if you plan on watching/gaming in a stretched full screen mode. If your sources currently include DVD, VHS & XBox and no 1080p content than I feel you are sacrificing quality now for quality later (and there is no timeline in place as to when that later will be).
post #4 of 4 Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys.
I am getting a 360 elite, there are very few games on the 360 released in 1080p right now, i think only 3, but there may be more in the near future. As for more 1080p, im waiting to see which of BR and HDdvd will win before i begin purchasing those, but i will eventually.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page