The Official Pioneer 8G KURO Owner's Discussions Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Member
 
Volfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any difference in the speaker on the 5080 as compared to the 5070?

My 5070 is currently hanging in my family room above the fireplace, and I don't use the speaker, which is detached.. My current plan is to buy a 5080 in a few months, and move the 5070 to a secondary area where I will need the speaker. Which speaker should I use? The 5070 or the 5080? Or are they the same?
Volfo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 14,947
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 209
The speaker on the 5080 is a larger and improved design.
D-Nice is offline  
post #273 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
bak_phy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A compromise that I had to do with the wife in order to get the bigger TV was give up my speakers (Polk.) After 5 minutes of using the one which came with the set we both agreed that that was a bad compromise!
For a TV the sound is good, but there's really no comparison with your own external setup.
bak_phy is offline  
post #274 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Member
 
Volfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

The speaker on the 5080 is a larger and improved design.

Does it fit on the 5070? If so, it sounds like I would want to use the 5080 speaker on the 5070 . . .
Volfo is offline  
post #275 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
HDKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm saddened at the lack of pictures.

HDKing is offline  
post #276 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Basheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post

I'm saddened at the lack of pictures.



The 17 I posted weren't enough?!?
Basheer is offline  
post #277 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
nmcnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 42" model the same (other than size) as the 50" as far as features and black level go?

With my viewing distance I need to either get a 768p 42" TV or a 50" 1080p set. I really dont think I need a 50" TV considering how close I sit and how small my condo is... I wouldnt mind a 50" TV at 1080p, but if Im perfectly happy with a 42" with a good picture.
nmcnair is offline  
post #278 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gellidius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcnair View Post

Is the 42" model the same (other than size) as the 50" as far as features and black level go?

With my viewing distance I need to either get a 768p 42" TV or a 50" 1080p set. I really dont think I need a 50" TV considering how close I sit and how small my condo is... I wouldnt mind a 50" TV at 1080p, but if Im perfectly happy with a 42" with a good picture.


try this addy, might be useful for you:
http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-conten...tion_chart.png
Gellidius is offline  
post #279 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Member
 
pianoplayer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question for Owners of this fine plasma

Has anyone tried this new Seamless Orbiter feature and if someone has, it is effective?
I.e....... Is there less IR than normal with it on, or is there no IR etc....

Also, can anyone notice the movement of the pixels with the eyes??

TIA, The P---- P-----------
pianoplayer1 is offline  
post #280 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
bak_phy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The orbiter moves pretty slow. I haven't noticed it at all other than during my attempt at calibration when I saw that the edges where cropped unevenly. Confused me at first.
No idea if it works. I think that one would have to perform any number of experiments to see. Eg put bright static image on screen for hours with and without and then compare. I'm not sure how many people would really want to try this though.
bak_phy is offline  
post #281 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
bokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the orbiter on during break in and I have not seen any IR- not even the slightest.
I also have the Energy Save set to Mode 2 to decrease picture brightness and lower power consumption. My contrast is set to 20 and this set is still quite bright.
No pixel movement- But I do notice an occasional flicker in the picture. I am not sure if it's source related or has something to do with my Break-In settings. I'll keep an eye on this. Both eyes.
bokes is offline  
post #282 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Member
 
rripcordd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheer View Post

The 17 I posted weren't enough?!?

What post no. did you post them at, I would like to look at them....thanks.
rripcordd is offline  
post #283 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Member
 
rripcordd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rripcordd View Post

What post no. did you post them at, I would like to look at them....thanks.

Never mind ... I found them... thanks
rripcordd is offline  
post #284 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Member
 
pianoplayer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bak_phy View Post

I'm not sure how many people would really want to try this though.

Yea, I wouldn't want to potentially harm my set just for a few tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

I have the orbiter on during break in and I have not seen any IR- not even the slightest.

Sounds good... The only thing I am worried about is black bars on Wide Wide Screen Movies and 4:3 content... I HATE distorting images and would NEVER use the wide setting... and I dont want to have to use a zoom or maybe the cinema feature.
pianoplayer1 is offline  
post #285 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gellidius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gellidius is offline  
post #286 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kr8z1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dutchtown, LA
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer1 View Post

Also, can anyone notice the movement of the pixels with the eyes??

I posted about this previously here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10628550
It will shift a 1/16 of a pixel at a time so it's not noticeable.
Kr8z1 is offline  
post #287 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
scottsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Evanston, Il
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which brings up the question- how can the image be shifted by less than pixel?
scottsol is offline  
post #288 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
MFLUGSTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Initial 5080 impressions:

Hey guys thought I'd chime in since it doesn't seem like too many people have these yet. I've been reading the forum for 3 years but this is actually my first post. I know the topics that everyone will be interested in knowing about so I'll try my best.

I had a great buying experience from plasma concepts. I ordered last friday and paid for overnight shipping and received the panel on monday morning. Fedex brought it into the apartment. wouldn't accept a tip and everything was in perfect condition. I worked with Dan at Plasma Concepts and I highly recommend him. Great price and service. Buying options are limited when you live in washington state due to sales tax from some of the other sponsor stores.

The appearance of the panel is gorgeous with very clean styling. Its also very light and I was able to lift it onto the stand by myself. Still debating whether to attatch the included speaker as it is connected to an audio system and it looks so good without it.

Performance wise overall I am extremely happy. My previous panel was a Runco a few generations old. I know a lot of people on the forum diss on Runco but this was and outstanding plasma IMO (and I had gotten a good deal on it). The things that stood out about the Runco were the processing, overall smoothness to the picture and anti-reflective coating. The anti-reflective coat is the only area where the Runco trumps the pioneer. I lived in a city apartment with lots of windows and reflections were a non-issue. With the pioneer I can still see a more detailed reflection of myself in the screen and the bezel while looking nice is quite reflective. Please note that I am not trying to bash the pioneer at all as I have already bought it and plan on keeping it. I guess I just expected a little more since this was supposed to be one of the main features of the 8G's. Definately not a deal breaker. The optimum mode that senses ambient light is interesting but I can't say I've noticed a huge difference with it. In the dark movie mode looks best to me as I prefer more muted colors to the cartoony look of dynamic mode. It seems like the pioneer has far more resolving detail to its resolution which it turn makes poor sources such as non-hd channels on comcast look fuzzy and pixelated still. I haven't had much time to play with the noise reduction features just have set them all to medium. This seems to blur out the SD and make it more acceptable. I would say the processing in the JVC DILA rear pros is better as my folks have one and I have watched it quite a bit. SSE drives me nuts though so even though those are dirt cheap right now I wouldn't get one. The pioneer has better blacks too.

I'll continue the story in a true AVS form Part II later if anybody cares. I'll say though I really wanted the 1080P model, I didn't want to wait and I'm glad I didn't. I really can't imagine the picture getting any better. I sit at about 7-8 feet and run an A2 and PS3. Been buying lots of movies. The blacks look the same with the panel on as when its off. The night football scenes of invincible in incredibly rich and detailed which is a pretty tough feat. The parachuter diving into the cave in Planet Earth looks like he's going into a black hole. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it though because I have a female friend in town who gives me crap if I try to adjust anything. Anyway thanks for all the info guys,
matt
MFLUGSTA is offline  
post #289 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Member
 
TonPalmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer1 View Post

Sounds good... The only thing I am worried about is black bars on Wide Wide Screen Movies and 4:3 content... I HATE distorting images and would NEVER use the wide setting... and I dont want to have to use a zoom or maybe the cinema feature.

This is exactly my (sole) worry with this plasma technology. From the new technologies, plasma appeals by far the most to me PQ-wise, but this concern is still keeping me clinging on to my Loewe CRT. However, I am all over the 8G Pio's based on the reviews, and want badly to purchase one so I can go from my pious 26" to a more heavenly 42" or 50". Am dying to finally be able to do so without PQ-loss.

It's clear to me that enormous progress has been made over the years, but I would be very interested to know if there are any measures that Pioneer is additionally providing to safeguard this.

For instance, my viewing habits are roughly 45% 4:3 (mostly B&W) , 45% 2:35:1 and 10% 16:9. I am a movielover, especially movies from the 30's to 50's. For me personally, distorting a movie or throwing away parts of it is not a desired choice of action, nor is adjusting my viewing habit.

However, I would be perfectly fine if - for example - there was a menu option available that, based on recent viewing habits, would run a routine that would bring lesser used parts of the panel on par with the more used ones. In my example, the big centre of the screen would be used 100%, the adjacent areas 55% and the corners 10%. Perhaps a routine could run for say 15 minutes once a month or so to keep cell usage balanced? Or any other kind of technique would be available perhaps? Or is there nowadays indeed no need for correctional actions anymore (would be best offcourse)?

What do the 8G Pioneers offer in this regard. Can someone shed some more light on this? Would be a very great help.

(sorry for the long post, but I so want to go for these KURO's ... )
TonPalmans is offline  
post #290 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Member
 
tufferd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there, I am interested in a Non HD Non Blue Ray DVD player that will upscale dvds from blockbuster etc to 1080i 720p.

I just bought a Pioneer PDP 5080 HD, Have a Yamaha RXV861 receiver, Kef Kht3500 speakers.

I am wondering what would be the best upconverting DVD Player to complete my system? OR should I rely on the Receiver or TV to do the Upscaling?

Please let me know your thoughts, Thanking you in advance


Also any need to turn off the cable guide to avoid the blinking light and shutoffs that plagued the 5070?
tufferd is offline  
post #291 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
bak_phy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think this set might actually be too good. While watching sports I can see when the camera doesn't quite get the focus right for a split second!!!!
bak_phy is offline  
post #292 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Member
 
lab1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Realistically isn't the orbiter feature of limited use for addressing image retention? Is it marketing hype to address consumer fears of IR on Plasma TVs?

For example, if there is a big blob of a logo (e.g. Cartoon Network, or Boomerang), the orbiter feature is going to shift the image a few pixels in all directions, however the overall logo is still going to be "burning" bright and potentially causing IR.

Maybe the edges of the Cartoon Network's logo will be less distinct, but wouldn't the logo generate a fuzzy IR blob, instead of a distinct network logo?

What am I missing? Or do I need to drink some kool-aide?
lab1234 is offline  
post #293 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
greenland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bak_phy View Post

I think this set might actually be too good. While watching sports I can see when the camera doesn't quite get the focus right for a split second!!!!

Does it only happen on live coverage events, such as sports?. Thanks.

...
greenland is offline  
post #294 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kr8z1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dutchtown, LA
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsol View Post

Which brings up the question- how can the image be shifted by less than pixel?

Not sure what's not clear here or how I can simplify it. The image is shifted by 1/16 of a pixel. So take the size of a pixel, split it into 16ths, and shift the image by 1/16 of that pixel.
Kr8z1 is offline  
post #295 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Member
 
Volfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tufferd View Post

Hi there, I am interested in a Non HD Non Blue Ray DVD player that will upscale dvds from blockbuster etc to 1080i 720p.

I just bought a Pioneer PDP 5080 HD, Have a Yamaha RXV861 receiver, Kef Kht3500 speakers.

I am wondering what would be the best upconverting DVD Player to complete my system? OR should I rely on the Receiver or TV to do the Upscaling?

Please let me know your thoughts, Thanking you in advance


Also any need to turn off the cable guide to avoid the blinking light and shutoffs that plagued the 5070?

Look at the Oppo players. Strongly recommend them. Several models, depending on what you want. I have one hooked to my 5070 and the picture of the DVDs from Netflix looks much closer to HD than my crappy comcast on demand. I am pretty sure you have to hook it up to hdmi in order to get the upconverting feature to work, but I'm not an expert.
Volfo is offline  
post #296 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
valoidr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFLUGSTA View Post

Initial 5080 impressions:

Hey guys thought I'd chime in since it doesn't seem like too many people have these yet. I've been reading the forum for 3 years but this is actually my first post. I know the topics that everyone will be interested in knowing about so I'll try my best.

I had a great buying experience from plasma concepts. I ordered last friday and paid for overnight shipping and received the panel on monday morning. Fedex brought it into the apartment. wouldn't accept a tip and everything was in perfect condition. I worked with Dan at Plasma Concepts and I highly recommend him. Great price and service. Buying options are limited when you live in washington state due to sales tax from some of the other sponsor stores.

The appearance of the panel is gorgeous with very clean styling. Its also very light and I was able to lift it onto the stand by myself. Still debating whether to attatch the included speaker as it is connected to an audio system and it looks so good without it.

Performance wise overall I am extremely happy. My previous panel was a Runco a few generations old. I know a lot of people on the forum diss on Runco but this was and outstanding plasma IMO (and I had gotten a good deal on it). The things that stood out about the Runco were the processing, overall smoothness to the picture and anti-reflective coating. The anti-reflective coat is the only area where the Runco trumps the pioneer. I lived in a city apartment with lots of windows and reflections were a non-issue. With the pioneer I can still see a more detailed reflection of myself in the screen and the bezel while looking nice is quite reflective. Please note that I am not trying to bash the pioneer at all as I have already bought it and plan on keeping it. I guess I just expected a little more since this was supposed to be one of the main features of the 8G's. Definately not a deal breaker. The optimum mode that senses ambient light is interesting but I can't say I've noticed a huge difference with it. In the dark movie mode looks best to me as I prefer more muted colors to the cartoony look of dynamic mode. It seems like the pioneer has far more resolving detail to its resolution which it turn makes poor sources such as non-hd channels on comcast look fuzzy and pixelated still. I haven't had much time to play with the noise reduction features just have set them all to medium. This seems to blur out the SD and make it more acceptable. I would say the processing in the JVC DILA rear pros is better as my folks have one and I have watched it quite a bit. SSE drives me nuts though so even though those are dirt cheap right now I wouldn't get one. The pioneer has better blacks too.

I'll continue the story in a true AVS form Part II later if anybody cares. I'll say though I really wanted the 1080P model, I didn't want to wait and I'm glad I didn't. I really can't imagine the picture getting any better. I sit at about 7-8 feet and run an A2 and PS3. Been buying lots of movies. The blacks look the same with the panel on as when its off. The night football scenes of invincible in incredibly rich and detailed which is a pretty tough feat. The parachuter diving into the cave in Planet Earth looks like he's going into a black hole. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it though because I have a female friend in town who gives me crap if I try to adjust anything. Anyway thanks for all the info guys,
matt

Good post! Keep us posted once your friend is worn down enough from your set tweaking. Thanks

dv
valoidr is offline  
post #297 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
bak_phy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think the question isn't about how one divides 1 by 16.
If the input resolution is 720p how does the screen do 1/16th?
bak_phy is offline  
post #298 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
bak_phy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have DVR so there's really no such thing as LIVE anymore. But yeah... It was yesterdays NBA and todays MLB
bak_phy is offline  
post #299 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Insomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: KS
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

Not sure what's not clear here or how I can simplify it. The image is shifted by 1/16 of a pixel. So take the size of a pixel, split it into 16ths, and shift the image by 1/16 of that pixel.

I think the part that isn't clear is that, presumably, a pixel can only display one color. So if you have a blue pixel next to a red pixels, and you shift it 1/16th of a pixel, how does a single pixel display 15/16ths blue and 1/16th red in 1 pixel.
Insomniac is offline  
post #300 of 17585 Old 06-13-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 14,947
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Please keep in mind that pixels are actually comprised of 3 sub pixels (red, green, blue). Also the shifting done within a grid array of pixels. You guys are digging way to deep on figuring out how to move an image 1/16th of a pixel at a time.
D-Nice is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off