post #6031 of 17585 Old 09-15-2007, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by harneloot View Post

Firstly, thanks to everyone here for all their VERY informative posts. I have found this forum to be incredibly useful as I educate myself on flat panel TVs before I make my very first purchase. In the past week I have gone from looking at LCDs to Plasmas to Pioneer Plasmas as I try to make this purchase one that will bring me many years of joyful viewing with as little buyers remorse as possible. A Pioneer Plasma it will be - but which one and from where?

I have read many, but not all of the posts in the 200+ pages of this thread, so please excuse me if these questions are answered elsewhere and I missed them.

1. How strongly do people recommend buying the Pioneer tv from an authorized dealer? Seems like you can find most models on-line at a substantial ($500+) discount, but am wary of return options on a DOA screen as well as warranty invalidation. Has anyone bought a new Pioneer on-line, from a non-authorized dealer? If so, did you purchase another warranty from the seller since the Pioneer warranty is invalidated?

2. 42" or 50"? I know many people will say "Get the 50 inch or you'll regret it later" and I can certainly imagine some truth to that. However, I'm extremely sensitive to movement blur and pixilation during fast moving scenes and not seeing that at all is very high on my list of wants in a flat panel. I sit 10ft from the screen which seems to be somewhat between the two sizes on that chart. I was thinking of erring on the side of caution and going with the smaller 4280 to help ensure I would only see very smooth and clear movement, especially during sports. Anyone have an opinion on this?

3. To Elite or no? I've read the post of exactly what is different between these two models (4280 & 950HD) though I'd like to know some people's personal opinion who have studied (maybe even owned) both. I've heard that the firmware is different and that the actual electronics and wiring are of higher quality in the Elites...can anyone verify this?

4. Good cables. I was thinking of picking up some mid-priced Audioguest cables from Videogon. How much advantage do people feel spending $150 on an HDMi cable gets you in PQ etc? I know and have experienced the advantage of good cables in audio and assume the same is true in video?

OK - thanks in advance to anyone who can help me make these final decisions before I take the plunge!

-John

Imo ten feet distance is too much for a 42 inch screen. Aimo the difference in a $150 vs $10 hdmi cable is exactly $140. Digital is just that, either you have a signal or you don't so don't waste your money on those "Monster" cables. Here is a good site to buy all your cables www.monoprice.com

BTW I bought the Pioneer Elite Pro-150FD today at BestBuy for about 22% off list. Just print out some prices for the model you want from well known sites take them to BestBuy and see if they will price match (they did for me today).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Firstly, thanks to everyone here for all their VERY informative posts. I have found this forum to be incredibly useful as I educate myself on flat panel TVs before I make my very first purchase. In the past week I have gone from looking at LCDs to Plasmas to Pioneer Plasmas as I try to make this purchase one that will bring me many years of joyful viewing with as little buyers remorse as possible. A Pioneer Plasma it will be - but which one and from where?

I have read many, but not all of the posts in the 200+ pages of this thread, so please excuse me if these questions are answered elsewhere and I missed them.

1. How strongly do people recommend buying the Pioneer tv from an authorized dealer? Seems like you can find most models on-line at a substantial ($500+) discount, but am wary of return options on a DOA screen as well as warranty invalidation. Has anyone bought a new Pioneer on-line, from a non-authorized dealer? If so, did you purchase another warranty from the seller since the Pioneer warranty is invalidated?

2. 42" or 50"? I know many people will say "Get the 50 inch or you'll regret it later" and I can certainly imagine some truth to that. However, I'm extremely sensitive to movement blur and pixilation during fast moving scenes and not seeing that at all is very high on my list of wants in a flat panel. I sit 10ft from the screen which seems to be somewhat between the two sizes on that chart. I was thinking of erring on the side of caution and going with the smaller 4280 to help ensure I would only see very smooth and clear movement, especially during sports. Anyone have an opinion on this?

3. To Elite or no? I've read the post of exactly what is different between these two models (4280 & 950HD) though I'd like to know some people's personal opinion who have studied (maybe even owned) both. I've heard that the firmware is different and that the actual electronics and wiring are of higher quality in the Elites...can anyone verify this?

4. Good cables. I was thinking of picking up some mid-priced Audioguest cables from Videogon. How much advantage do people feel spending $150 on an HDMi cable gets you in PQ etc? I know and have experienced the advantage of good cables in audio and assume the same is true in video?

OK - thanks in advance to anyone who can help me make these final decisions before I take the plunge!

-John

If you sit 10 feet from the screen you should definitely be buying the 60 inch if it is to be a 1080p set ... 50 inches is way too small for that distance. If the 60 inch is too expensive, then you should be viewing at about 6 feet for 50 inches.

Bob
If it is not HDTV it is not worth watching!
post #6033 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybard View Post

Did anyone ever find and post a copy of the Pro-150fd's service manual?

I asked the Service Tech that came to look at my DOA PRO-150FD and was told by him to, call Customer Service/Parts 1-800-457-2881.

Ken
post #6034 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 06:18 AM
BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Would any of the 150FD owners out there mind checking how long the power cord is for the tv. I'm hoping to get a call sometime this coming week that mine is in and in preparation I'm trying to rearrange my audio rack and speakers to accomodate the tv and since my power conditioner is in my audio rack I don't want to have it beyond the reach of the tv's power cord.

Thanks,

Rod

Rod:

According to the 150 manual the power cord is 6.6 feet long. I hope to have my 150 sometime this week as well

Hope this helps

Bob
post #6035 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMoss View Post

Thanks for establishing the norm. I will quote you when I ask my cable company to fix the problem with my cable box. I am sure they will issue a fix ASAP.

I am sure with your attitude that they'll get right on it. If not, you can always blame Pioneer and post more posts here containing erroneous info so as to mislead more people.

Ploink. Bye.
post #6036 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

1. How strongly do people recommend buying the Pioneer tv from an authorized dealer? Seems like you can find most models on-line at a substantial ($500+) discount, but am wary of return options on a DOA screen as well as warranty invalidation. Has anyone bought a new Pioneer on-line, from a non-authorized dealer? If so, did you purchase another warranty from the seller since the Pioneer warranty is invalidated?try a forum sponsor if you would like to buy online. they are authorized sellers. if it makes you feel better to buy local, ask your local reseller for a better price. i personally wouldn't touch a plasma from a non-authorized source.

2. 42" or 50"? I know many people will say "Get the 50 inch or you'll regret it later" and I can certainly imagine some truth to that. However, I'm extremely sensitive to movement blur and pixilation during fast moving scenes and not seeing that at all is very high on my list of wants in a flat panel. I sit 10ft from the screen which seems to be somewhat between the two sizes on that chart. I was thinking of erring on the side of caution and going with the smaller 4280 to help ensure I would only see very smooth and clear movement, especially during sports. Anyone have an opinion on this? 50". i have a 150fd and sit 10 feet away. watched several football games yesterday (i can only watch the shark shows so many times on disco hd ). no pixelation to speak of. poor source IS revealed. some of the golf yesterday looked like sd (primarily because some of it is).

3. To Elite or no? I've read the post of exactly what is different between these two models (4280 & 950HD) though I'd like to know some people's personal opinion who have studied (maybe even owned) both. I've heard that the firmware is different and that the actual electronics and wiring are of higher quality in the Elites...can anyone verify this?personal decision. are the elites "better"? yea, a bit. but it came down to the simple fact that i "wanted" the elite. i don't regret the decision.

4. Good cables. I was thinking of picking up some mid-priced Audioguest cables from Videogon. How much advantage do people feel spending $150 on an HDMi cable gets you in PQ etc? I know and have experienced the advantage of good cables in audio and assume the same is true in video?a waste of money. of course, i feel the same way on audio cables. any well constructed cable will do the job well. see forum sponsor monoprice, or if it will make you feel better to spend a bit more money, try bluejeans. i have cables from both places.

-John

good luck. be patient, but keep in mind that this isn't the "life or death" decision that many make it out to be.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6037 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT View Post

Rod:

According to the 150 manual the power cord is 6.6 feet long. I hope to have my 150 sometime this week as well

Hope this helps

Bob

Excellent, thanks Bob.

post #6038 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00zie View Post

I tried the steps that were posted here (and included below) to pull up usage hours on my 5080, but I don't seem to be having any luck. Am I doing something wrong or are these steps not going to work on the 5080? Am I supposed to hold down the display button for only the first 6-8 seconds, or should I just tap it. I want to view my total hours to determine how far through the break-in process I am.

On the remote, hit:
Display
Wait 6 seconds
push 'left' button
push 'up' button
push 'left' again
push 'right' button
push 'Power' button

To get to the service menu on my 5080 I just tap display and then wait only 3 seconds and then press, left, up, left, right and then power.

Mark
post #6039 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeaco View Post

To get to the service menu on my 5080 I just tap display and then wait only 3 seconds and then press, left, up, left, right and then power.

Mark

Thanks, Mark - I'll try it!
post #6040 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeaco View Post

Mark

The delay required seems to be variable by individual set. Earlier, someone was unable to get in until he was told to wait 6 seconds, which worked for him. My 5080 won't let me in if I wait that long. 3 seconds is just right for me. Moral: If it doesn't work one way, try changing the length of time.
post #6041 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

-John

1. As ccotenj mentioned, several sponsors are authorized dealers. It's not one or the other.

2. You'll always hear "bigger is better" on this forum, but that isn't true for everyone. I sit the same distance from the screen you do, and had a 42" for 3 years without regrets. When I moved up to a Kuro, I also moved up to 50". I like that size much better for letter boxed movies, but only slightly more for regular TV shows. I may lack your sensitivity to movement blur and pixilation though. You really should see the sets in person, viewing them from the same distance as you would at home, and decide for yourself. We can't see with your eyes.

3. Another subjective judgement. A long list of Elite exclusive features has been published several times, and you can see them on the Pioneer website as well (although they don't list everything claimed here ). You'll have to decide for yourself if you'll get enough out of them to justify the higher price. For me, the answer was no, partly because I got an exceptional buy on my 5080. Others came to the opposite conclusion. There is no one-size-fits-all answer.

4. As ccotenj said, you'll gain no discernible benefit by paying more than MonoPrice charges for digital cables. (Check out other sponsors as well.) Many of us use them with excellent results.
post #6042 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 09:24 AM

I bought a PRO-110FD from Magnolia yesterday for 20% off list...going to pick it up from the warehouse today!
post #6043 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenage View Post

Wow! This thread is BIG

I have tried to read as much of this thread as I could but have not seen much on SD quality. I will be using a cable card and was hoping that the SD would be acceptable. I plan on getting the 5010 and I realize that stretching out a SD signal that big will degrade it but how is it?

not sure about the 5010/1080p but the 5080/720p is suprisingly good via cable.

dv
post #6044 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00zie View Post

I tried the steps that were posted here (and included below) to pull up usage hours on my 5080, but I don't seem to be having any luck. Am I doing something wrong or are these steps not going to work on the 5080? Am I supposed to hold down the display button for only the first 6-8 seconds, or should I just tap it. I want to view my total hours to determine how far through the break-in process I am.

On the remote, hit:
Display
Wait 6 seconds
push 'left' button
push 'up' button
push 'left' again
push 'right' button
push 'Power' button

I have a 6010 and to do it, I have to put into the TV into standby from Antenna mode (not one of the hdmi or component inputs), then hit display as it going into standby. Then wait 3 seconds and push L, U, L, R and power.
post #6045 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 10:01 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice - you have already saved me $100+ on cables!!!

I'm going to go tomorrow to Best-Buy with my tape measure and check out different distances. I'll bring some print-outs from some on-line places to see if they'll give me a price break.

Thanks again everyone - this forum is really great! I can't wait to report back when I'm an smiling owner!!!
post #6046 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasherlife View Post

I bought a PRO-110FD from Magnolia yesterday for 20% off list...going to pick it up from the warehouse today!

Wow...that must be exciting...do let us know impressions....why elite for you specifically?
post #6047 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 01:05 PM

The only feature that would sway me to buy an Elite model is the Home Media Center. My house is networked with both Apple and PC desktops and I like the idea of networking the Elite. Anyone care to share their experiences with it. Does it work or would you go a different route, which is off topic but still would like to hear what you did.

Thanks...Ron
post #6048 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 02:09 PM

I have decided to get a new plasma. I have already decided what size and brand ( 50 inch Pioneer of course). My question is about the difference between PDP-5080HD and the PDP-5010FD. I Know the 5010 has 1080p feature. Is that the only difference ? If there is truly a difference is it worth a 1000 dollars ? I have read other discussions talking about 1080p is not that big a deal unless you are sitting real close or you are watch a really big screen (like 70 plus inches). Any ideas.
post #6049 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronone6 View Post

The only feature that would sway me to buy an Elite model is the Home Media Center. My house is networked with both Apple and PC desktops and I like the idea of networking the Elite. Anyone care to share their experiences with it. Does it work or would you go a different route, which is off topic but still would like to hear what you did. ...

Ron,

If you are in the market for a Blu-ray Disk player, get a Play Station 3. It has a wireless card and Ethernet connection and will provide you with a Media Center - and it'll output in 1080p if you want.
post #6050 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j Nyce View Post

I have decided to get a new plasma. I have already decided what size and brand ( 50 inch Pioneer of course). My question is about the difference between PDP-5080HD and the PDP-5010FD. I Know the 5010 has 1080p feature. Is that the only difference ? If there is truly a difference is it worth a 1000 dollars ? I have read other discussions talking about 1080p is not that big a deal unless you are sitting real close or you are watch a really big screen (like 70 plus inches). Any ideas.

I'm in exactly the same position and have decided to go with the 5080... IMO (I'm an optometrist) the greater resolution of the 1080p will not be noticable if you are more than about 8 feet away from the screen. If you are sitting 3-5 feet from the screen, then yes, I would go for the 1080p (with the 50 inch screen).... I'll be sitting about 12 feet back from the screen, so the 1080p makes no sense IMO.

The 5010 has a higher contrast ratio as well as higher resolution... but the reviews tell me to go with the 5080 for my viewing requirements.
post #6051 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, now that my HD-XA2 is capable of 1080p/24fps for both HD DVD and DVD -- and my PS3 has supported it from the beginning for Blu-ray. I may finally make the jump to the new Pioneer PDP-6010. Just out of curiosity, are there any next generation features that this display does not have? I mean it is 1080p - check, 24fps (72 fps ouput) - check, 4 HDMI inputs, dark blacks and good greys -- check. I'm coming from a very accurate 38 CRT and this is the first time that I have seen a replacement that simultaneously gives me big improvements in size, resolution and PQ -- at a price that I can kind of afford.

Are there any thoughts on any must haves that are missing? I've read the Elite comparison and understand those. It seems that this display does it all and the only possible reason to wait is for a price reduction.
post #6052 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 03:34 PM

I wanted to thank Bob at Plasma Concepts for making my purchase of my 5080 a pleasure. I drove to their shop to pick it up and they could not have been nicer. The picture and black levels are great.
post #6053 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9pilot View Post

I wanted to thank Bob at Plasma Concepts for making my purchase of my 5080 a pleasure. I drove to their shop to pick it up and they could not have been nicer. The picture and black levels are great.

How close to the screen to you have to get before you can see any "screen door effect"?
post #6054 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ordered the 150FD this weekend and for those looking for a good deal AND good service on an Elite I can definitely recommend longtime forum sponsor Value Electronics. Robert is a pleasure to deal with and you can feel the enthusiasm he has for this hobby. Now the hardest part....waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

Well, now that my HD-XA2 is capable of 1080p/24fps for both HD DVD and DVD -- and my PS3 has supported it from the beginning for Blu-ray. I may finally make the jump to the new Pioneer PDP-6010. Just out of curiosity, are there any next generation features that this display does not have? I mean it is 1080p - check, 24fps (72 fps ouput) - check, 4 HDMI inputs, dark blacks and good greys -- check. I'm coming from a very accurate 38 CRT and this is the first time that I have seen a replacement that simultaneously gives me big improvements in size, resolution and PQ -- at a price that I can kind of afford.

Are there any thoughts on any must haves that are missing? I've read the Elite comparison and understand those. It seems that this display does it all and the only possible reason to wait is for a price reduction.

miata, this display is about as future proof as you can get right now IMO. Hell it even supports "Deep Color", and who knows when that will be utilized, but if/when it is, you're covered!

Jump in, the water is great

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #6055 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post

How close to the screen to you have to get before you can see any "screen door effect"?

i don't have a 5080, but i've certainly looked at a lot of them... i would say you have to get within 3 or 4 feet, and then actually look for it to see it...

ymmv... there's not any shortage of them in the big box stores... go take a peek...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6056 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 05:58 PM

Can anyone compare the First Color Pro Plus Filter of the elites to the non-elites? Does this refer to the anti-glare coating? If not, is the anti-glare coating different on the elites?
post #6057 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 06:01 PM

Is anyone disappointed by their 950HD/4280? At my local BB, the 4280 was sitting right above the 42" panasonic plasma and the text was much more jagged on the 950HD. Also the whites were very grey compared to the panasonic.
post #6058 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronone6 View Post

The only feature that would sway me to buy an Elite model is the Home Media Center. My house is networked with both Apple and PC desktops and I like the idea of networking the Elite. Anyone care to share their experiences with it. Does it work or would you go a different route, which is off topic but still would like to hear what you did.

Thanks...Ron

My Pro 950 works flawlessly with both my networked computers; it even plays some of the files that my PS3 will not play. But to tell you the truth, I don't watch much of my downloaded files, because of the Blu-ray inside the PS3.
Oh, yeah, it shows my pictures and plays my music that I have stored on my computer, just like my PS3. But really, is this such a big deal to anyone? Why would you listen to songs from your computer through your television set, through your audio system? I just play the songs themselves through my compact disc player. It sounds better.
post #6059 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonwalker View Post

My Pro 950 works flawlessly with both my networked computers; it even plays some of the files that my PS3 will not play. But to tell you the truth, I don't watch much of my downloaded files, because of the Blu-ray inside the PS3.
Oh, yeah, it shows my pictures and plays my music that I have stored on my computer, just like my PS3. But really, is this such a big deal to anyone? Why would you listen to songs from your computer through your television set, through your audio system? I just play the songs themselves through my compact disc player. It sounds better.

Well, some people like myself have all of their music on the computer and all the CDs in a box. You can store them in a loss-less manner. It is quite convenient and with a good DAC or receiver you can get the same quality as expensive CD players. I think it is only a matter of time before most people with lots of music go this route.
post #6060 of 17585 Old 09-16-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Uncle View Post

Is anyone disappointed by their 950HD/4280? At my local BB, the 4280 was sitting right above the 42" panasonic plasma and the text was much more jagged on the 950HD. Also the whites were very grey compared to the panasonic.

It all has to do with the settings at a particular store. A Magnolia store near me has an Elite 1150 set up so that contrast is awful, with total black crush and loss of detail. Others have seen these sets at Magnolia stores and thought they looked great. I have seen the sets at the Pioneer store in Costa Mesa, and the picture there was incredible.

The point is, unless you can get the remote and play with it, I wouldn't pay too much attention to how one particular set looks.

By the way, the Magnolia store had a 70 inch plasma dispay, I think by LG. I may have to move into a bigger house to accomodate these monsters. And I thought a 60 inch display was big!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page