The Official Pioneer 8G KURO Owner's Discussions Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #61 of 17585 Old 06-08-2007, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I'll hold off replacing my 503 until next year. Paid $6K for it back in the day, and was thrilled with the deal I got on it. Been really happy with it, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 17585 Old 06-08-2007, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 168
cool. At least you've got something (more than) decent to tide you over.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #63 of 17585 Old 06-08-2007, 07:57 PM

lt. ngo, us army.new member.checking in from southern iraq.have been here over a year.will be back soon.first of all,thank you so very much d-nice and all other members for educating me about the new pioneer plasma which i plan to purchase as a gift for myself.if you do not mind,may i ask you how the new pioneer sound with its own speakers.i plan to use it without any "surround sound" in my bed room.Regard.
post #64 of 17585 Old 06-08-2007, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Supervision, could you please do a test for me and many others you are concerned with phosphor trailing. Can you please download this small file http://www.iceboom.com/i_down.html There is a test with with horizontal and vertical lines moving at various speeds over a black background. Do you see yellow or green colored trails infront or behind the white bars. Thanks
post #65 of 17585 Old 06-08-2007, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperVision2010 View Post

...First impressions:

Very smooth, almost no dithering, unlike the Panny.

Pure whites,no grey whites here.

Plenty sharp and detailed , better than the 5070 I had.

Natural motion(120hz?) beats the heck out of any LCD I have owned.

Screen a bit more reflective than I thought, Elite will probably be better.

And of course, blacks to beat all ('cept maybe the 'ole CRT)

For the entry price , I think it's a winner.

Roman: Please reserve my 6010 in the fall!

Steve Longo

Supervision2010,

Thanks for the info and the pics! Black levels look MUCH improved over the Panny. One question though, how does details in dark scenes compare on the Pioneer to the Panny? I'll pretty much be doing the same upgrade as you going from the 58px600u though to the 6010.
post #66 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Supervision, could you please do a test for me and many others you are concerned with phosphor trailing. Can you please download this small file http://www.iceboom.com/i_down.html There is a test with with horizontal and vertical lines moving at various speeds over a black background. Do you see yellow or green colored trails infront or behind the white bars. Thanks

Yes PLEASE consider doing this for us who suffer from phosphor trails.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #67 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Supervision2010,

Thanks for the info and the pics! Black levels look MUCH improved over the Panny. One question though, how does details in dark scenes compare on the Pioneer to the Panny? I'll pretty much be doing the same upgrade as you going from the 58px600u though to the 6010.

Good question.

I am now realizing that it (currently) may not be without some black-crush.

I started to calibrate with Joe Kane's HD-DVD cal. disc (Blockbuster on-line) and it seemed I had to raise brightness some , recovering dark scene details, but losing some of the richness of blacks. As it was, in default std.mode, even some dark greens of NESN-HD ballpark scenes in Arizona last night tended to look black. Raising brightness normalized the color but again,I clearly need to dial this panel in before further comment.
I think the picture I posted may have masked any black-crush as there really weren't any shades of grey represented there, just black and white.

One thing for certain though, if you are considering the 6010, it will be slightly more reflective than the Panny, I have noticed. Also, the PIO screen filter seems to be polarized as it shows a very slight shift in light output when moving around the room (something I have never seen is a plasma before); only in vertical direction, as when getting up from seated position.

Joe Kanes calibration disc is without audio cues , so I am struggling a little with it.
More to come...
post #68 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am now realizing that it (currently) may not be without some black-crush.

Perfectly acceptable.

This was often the case with CRT monitors as well. If you really wanted deep black on a CRT, you'd lose shadow detail. Crank it up a bit and the screen becomes somewhat lighter and the detail appears.

Minor crushing doesn't bother me in the least provided it fades into blackness rather than the typical light gray of your average flat panel.

This is why dark gaming was ruined for me on current flat panels. With something like Silent Hill on a CRT, I would drop the brightness enough to produce a very dark image with details being somewhat crushed. This created an environment that simulates ones inability to clearly see in the dark and increased the scare factor. On a flat panel, you could easily see EVERYTHING while the dark areas were completely washed out. I have shelved various horror games in anticipation of the 8th gen panel and I'm hoping it is dark enough to allow these games to become enjoyable once more.
post #69 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Supervision,

Change contrast to 35 and see if that helps with the black crush.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #70 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Conan48 - if you happen to have this file burned to a DVD, perhaps you can offer to send Supervision a DVD with the test file already on it.

The guy is probably swamped and may not have time to download and burn.

I'd do it but don't have a DVD burner.

Just a thought.
post #71 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 AM

hey SuperVision2010 does your model have any buzzing (especially while playing white scenes such as snow etc)

I'm asking cause my previous tv (427xa) suffered from this alot.
post #72 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1x View Post

Of course it did. It handles SD sources significantly better than most other consumer displays. I'm not sure where you are getting off suggesting otherwise.

Now, granted, I speak only in terms of video games (low resolution) and DVD playback not television, but I found the results to be fantastic. I feel that it does a slightly better job than even my Sony CRT.

What do you feel does a better job? I've spent a great deal of time drawing detailed comparisons between all sorts of flat panel and RPTV models dating from 2005 to 2007 and have found that 7th generation to be among the best on the consumer end.

I am referring specifically to SD sources such as digital cable via a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD etc.

I agree that with DVD or video games it is better than average.

But for digital cable.........it like most plasma televisions does not handle SD signals all that well.

Basheer
post #73 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwong View Post

Don't forget networkable for Home Media Gallery function to stream media from any PC in your home via a network and better color filter.

Not sure if the 768p Elites will have a better colour filter.

As I understand it, they are all the same, with the exception of the Elite 1080p sets which have the PLUS filter.

Basheer
post #74 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheer View Post

I am referring specifically to SD sources such as digital cable via a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD etc.

I agree that with DVD or video games it is better than average.

But for digital cable.........it like most plasma televisions does not handle SD signals all that well.

Basheer

I do not watch television and do not use cable, but DVD and video games should be more demanding and rely more heavily on the TV.

What displays do you feel handle cable well? Certainly not LCDs or any of the RPTVs on the market. CRTs? Sure, they'll handle it better.
post #75 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Perfectly acceptable.

Well this has been the big ? regarding the new 8g's. It's ability to resolve shadow detail.
post #76 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:

I do not watch television and do not use cable, but DVD and video games should be more demanding and rely more heavily on the TV.

What displays do you feel handle cable well? Certainly not LCDs or any of the RPTVs on the market. CRTs? Sure, they'll handle it better.

Of course CRT's handle SD signals well....but as for flat panels, I have yet to see one that was capable of cleaning up an SD signal from cable, to a decent level (in my opinion).

There is always a lot of noise etc.

My big hope is that the new ASIC processor will result in the 8G being the best on the market with respect to cleaning up SD signals (from cable tv) on a Flat Panel.

Basheer
post #77 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Good start for a new thread - my thanks to all!

I am suprised to not hear from other owners yet. Perhaps its a bit early in the game?

dv
post #78 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 AM

I received my 5080 yesterday and it seems that the option to have the 4:3 side masks display a black and white soft-focused copy of the signal is gone.
D-Nice, could please confirm that that's the case? It's very unfortunate because I really loved that option when I saw it in the stores on the previous version. I wouldn't understand the reason to drop it.

I also noticed a problem with the 4:3 detection: apparently the detection doesn't work once coming out of the OSTG screen. Basically, if I set the option to apply the widezoom aspect ratio when side bars are detected, it works when browsing channels, but not when opening and then closing the OSTG.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the picture quality. I didn't have any doubt on the quality of the panel itself, after all the consistent positive feedback from professionals that had the chance to see it. I don't have a previous plasma set to compare it to, for the record.

Oh, and yes, there is some buzzing, but it doesn't seem too distracting. Changing the power settings to "mode 2" noticeably decreases it.

If I want to be picky, there are one thing that somewhat bugs me, but it's just because I'm very picky: why does the internal tuner shows so many digits for the channel (for example, instead of 2.1, it shows 00002.001)? I know it was the same with the past generation, and probably with other brands as well.
post #79 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnisco3 View Post

I received my 5080 yesterday and it seems that the option to have the 4:3 side masks display a black and white soft-focused copy of the signal is gone.
D-Nice, could please confirm that that's the case?

Turn the 4:3 mask selection to auto instead of fixed

Quote:

I also noticed a problem with the 4:3 detection: apparently the detection doesn't work once coming out of the OSTG screen. Basically, if I set the option to apply the widezoom aspect ratio when side bars are detected, it works when browsing channels, but not when opening and then closing the OSTG.

It doesn't nor has it ever worked for the OSTG
post #80 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Turn the 4:3 mask selection to auto instead of fixed

Hmm, that's what I did.
Autosize is set to 4:3 (if I set it to off, the side mask options are grayed out).

In the Mask sub-options, Detection is set to On (I tried even Off), and Brightness Sync is set to Auto.

In this way, the side masks are solid gray, but their brightness changes according to the brighness of the broadcast image.

Oh, mighty, D-Nice, please tell me that I'm doing something wrong, because I can't get the b/w soft-focus side masks to come on. And that's the first setting I tried, when I plugged in the TV - goes to show how much I liked that...
post #81 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:

It doesn't nor has it ever worked for the OSTG

What I meant is that the 4:3 detection doesn't work once coming out of the OSTG.
Basically, the TV doesn't check if the image is 16:9 or 4:3, thus it doesn't apply the widezoom settings automatically anymore. You have to change channel, for it to do it.
It does the detection when coming out of the TV Home Menu, but not out of the OSTG Menu.

Gosh, I'm starting to sound like that Sampo fool... just for the record, I have nothing but respect for the 5080 (and even more for D-Nice, nonetheless). It's just that after waiting for it for 6 months for this set I'm going avidly though every single option.
post #82 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
garnisco3
Tell us how is picture quality on SD tv?
post #83 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enator View Post

garnisco3
Tell us how is picture quality on SD tv?

The TV is in my bedroom and I watch it from bed; it's about 8/9 feet from my eyes (it's about 3 feet from my... feet).
I think the set does a great job with SD signal overall. I'd rather avoid stretching 4:3 broadcast because it most definitely "amplifies" the poor quality of the source, so I'm still trying to find the way to enable the b/w side masks, but with the pletora of options that the set provides I'm very happy with how the SD signal can be tweaked.
I'm breakin in the TV with low contrast and all, so I haven't spent too much time on the image settings, but I played around with them and I was surprised by the options available. I only wish they were explained a little better - or more technically - on the manual.
post #84 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmm, that's what I did.
Autosize is set to 4:3 (if I set it to off, the side mask options are grayed out).

In the Mask sub-options, Detection is set to On (I tried even Off), and Brightness Sync is set to Auto.

In this way, the side masks are solid gray, but their brightness changes according to the brighness of the broadcast image.

Oh, mighty, D-Nice, please tell me that I'm doing something wrong, because I can't get the b/w soft-focus side masks to come on. And that's the first setting I tried, when I plugged in the TV - goes to show how much I liked that...

How are you inputting to the panel? Cable? OTA?
What channel are you watching?
post #85 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:

How are you inputting to the panel? Cable? OTA?
What channel are you watching?

The TV input is OTA.

I tried watching digital 4:3 broadcast, and mindful of the fact that tv stations (like ABC, FOX, etc) may transmit "hardcoded" side black masks of their own, I tried a local digital channel that trasmits in 4:3 without side masks: the 8050 shows them as solid gray.

The same happens when watching analog channels and DVD via component: there are solid gray side masks.

The TV aspect ratio is set to 4:3.
post #86 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

OSTG Menu...forgive me! What is this?

dv
post #87 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 AM

[quote=RomanInvision]SuperVision2010 NICE!!!! Thank you for the post.[/Q
post #88 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The TV input is OTA.

I tried watching digital 4:3 broadcast, and mindful of the fact that tv stations (like ABC, FOX, etc) may transmit "hardcoded" side black masks of their own, I tried a local digital channel that trasmits in 4:3 without side masks: the 8050 shows them as solid gray.

The same happens when watching analog channels and DVD via component: there are solid gray side masks.

The TV aspect ratio is set to 4:3.

I just looked in the manual. I see no mention of the "reversed picture image" for sidebars. It looks as if they got rid of it.

Most owners, including myself, never used that feature anyway.

If you really want the "reversed picture image" for sidebars, I'll be more than happy to trade one of my 1130s for your 5080
post #89 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valoidr View Post

OSTG Menu...forgive me! What is this?

On Screen TV Guide
post #90 of 17585 Old 06-09-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwynwilliams View Post

Why is it that only one person seems to have the new pioneer,are they available to all or not ?

A few people have them. Most are actually watching the sets instead of posting on AVS.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page