post #17581 of 17587 Old 07-04-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I agree, and the 50hz thing is something we don't have to deal with here in NTSC land :-) My ZT60 looks fantastic on film - 24p at 96hz. In all honesty I think I prefer the picture on the Kuro by a hair...... but I swear they are very comparible. I had been putting off moving up to a 65" in my family room system, waiting for someone to get close to the Kuro in picture quality .......... when Panny announced they were ceasing production, I had to act. Sometimes we all need to count our blessings ...... a 65" ZT60 in the great room and a 50" Kuro in the bedroom ......... don't get much better than that
No it doesn't, i guess.

I think i may get an 8G (60") for the living room. 1080 or 720p i don't mind - as i will be a minimum of 12ft seating distance.

Oled is here but it's too early for me. If i picked up something negative in it's performance - especially panel related integrity - it would ruin the experience for me as i'm a bit of a stickler for that kind of thing. Nothing is perfect - but i know where i am with Kuro plasmas. I never owned an 8G but researched and researched and as i was about to buy one - the 9G's were announced a day later and it seemed like a no brainer because they were about 800 pounds cheaper from the off.

But at a friends i have enjoyed watching many great films on a 60" 8G in light and dark - and lots of gaming on a 50" 1080P. A KURO fanatic he is and has 3 9G's also. All theater like motion. Amazing.

That and i just can't get my head around that plasma is no more basically. So you could say i'm burying my head in the sand for a while anyway - for a few more years yet - perhaps three for the time being anyway rotfl.

As much as I've tried - shop situation or not, LCD and me wont get on. I find it disheartening that any 4K LCD's i see in store are only playing stills. What are they trying to hide imo. The one 4K LCD i saw with actual moving imagery was playing SD Wimbledon - which is unmentionable - it was that bad.

I want Crystal LED eventually (or whatever it's called in the future) - not OLED. Same black, but basically a better performing technology from the off when things get moving on screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17582 of 17587 Old 07-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post
No it doesn't, i guess.

I think i may get an 8G (60") for the living room. 1080 or 720p i don't mind - as i will be a minimum of 12ft seating distance.

Oled is here but it's too early for me. If i picked up something negative in it's performance - especially panel related integrity - it would ruin the experience for me as i'm a bit of a stickler for that kind of thing. Nothing is perfect - but i know where i am with Kuro plasmas. I never owned an 8G but researched and researched and as i was about to buy one - the 9G's were announced a day later and it seemed like a no brainer because they were about 800 pounds cheaper from the off.

But at a friends i have enjoyed watching many great films on a 60" 8G in light and dark - and lots of gaming on a 50" 1080P. A KURO fanatic he is and has 3 9G's also. All theater like motion. Amazing.

That and i just can't get my head around that plasma is no more basically. So you could say i'm burying my head in the sand for a while anyway - for a few more years yet - perhaps three for the time being anyway rotfl.

As much as I've tried - shop situation or not, LCD and me wont get on. I find it disheartening that any 4K LCD's i see in store are only playing stills. What are they trying to hide imo. The one 4K LCD i saw with actual moving imagery was playing SD Wimbledon - which is unmentionable - it was that bad.

I want Crystal LED eventually (or whatever it's called in the future) - not OLED. Same black, but basically a better performing technology from the off when things get moving on screen.
LED motion blur is worse it seems for some than others...... I can't stand it, but then I had issues as well with the early DLP sets with the red and green trails ............... I thought I'd been transported back to 1969 I was actually going to buy a 9G, but unexpectedly my local COSTCO got in a shipment of ten 50" 8gs and were selling them for $2500 ..... I believe retail was originally $5000. At that price I decided to "settle"
Stu03 likes this.
post #17583 of 17587 Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
36 Bit When Streaming?

My TV is a Pioneer Pro-150FD. I have been streaming Netflix with my Roku3 using hdmi through my Yamaha RX-V863 receiver then to my TV. Recently I noticed the quality wasn't good on a movie so I decided to go straight into the TV with my hdmi cable, bypassing the Yamaha receiver. After playing a particular scene, switching back and forth, I noticed an improvement bypassing the receiver, even my wife did. So now with an obviously better picture going straight to the TV, how am I going to get great surround being the Roku3 doesn't have a digital optical out to go to my receiver?
I then took my daughters Samsung DVD player that streams, small square shape with optical out, and connnected the hdmi to the TV and the optical to the receiver, streamed Netflix scene again, and it looked great! I then noticed on my TV's display it said 36 bit, and it didn't with the Roku3. Just today, just being curious, I hooked up the Samsung DVD player with the hdmi going back to my Yamaha receiver, then to the TV( unhooking the optical) and the picture quality was the same as going straight to the TV!! Now this baffles me because I'm streaming, not playing a Bluray where one player may look better etc. I take it, the 36bit has something to do with it? There is a noticable difference from the Roku3 going into the receiver first versus straight to the TV while no difference either way with the Samsung. Anyone?
post #17584 of 17587 Old 07-06-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also I was careful when watching to give Netflix enough time before the 1080P quality kicked in.
post #17585 of 17587 Old 07-06-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post
Yes - but the Kuros are another level up in certain ways. There are a few but a few are, build, component (and) panel level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
In all honesty I think I prefer the picture on the Kuro by a hair......

I agree completely w/your observations. I have been watching a 64F8500 as my primary PDP since February but every time I view the images rendered by my PRO-150FD they appear to look just a "wee bit" superior.

It is difficult to believe that seven year old display technology outperforms todays best PDPs, but in this case appearances don't lie.
Stu03 likes this.
post #17586 of 17587 Old 08-24-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure how active this thread is but I figured to start here.

After moving my family (and my Kuro) to a new home I've decided it's time to sell my PDP-6010FD. I'm writing to get anyone's advice as to the best way to get this done. Obviously this is a huge TV and would have to be a local sale (Minnesota) but just curious if anyone has had success buying or selling a Kuro recently.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Craigslist is of course an option for a local sale but I'm wondering how knowledgeable the buyers are in that market.
post #17587 of 17587 Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarslinger View Post
My TV is a Pioneer Pro-150FD. I have been streaming Netflix with my Roku3 using hdmi through my Yamaha RX-V863 receiver then to my TV. Recently I noticed the quality wasn't good on a movie so I decided to go straight into the TV with my hdmi cable, bypassing the Yamaha receiver. After playing a particular scene, switching back and forth, I noticed an improvement bypassing the receiver, even my wife did. So now with an obviously better picture going straight to the TV, how am I going to get great surround being the Roku3 doesn't have a digital optical out to go to my receiver?
I then took my daughters Samsung DVD player that streams, small square shape with optical out, and connnected the hdmi to the TV and the optical to the receiver, streamed Netflix scene again, and it looked great! I then noticed on my TV's display it said 36 bit, and it didn't with the Roku3. Just today, just being curious, I hooked up the Samsung DVD player with the hdmi going back to my Yamaha receiver, then to the TV( unhooking the optical) and the picture quality was the same as going straight to the TV!! Now this baffles me because I'm streaming, not playing a Bluray where one player may look better etc. I take it, the 36bit has something to do with it? There is a noticable difference from the Roku3 going into the receiver first versus straight to the TV while no difference either way with the Samsung. Anyone?
Bit depth comes from the source and the Kuro is reporting what it is being fed. The video chip of the source creates the color scheme and typically there are options to turn these features on or off. The Roku 3 is limited in that it only has an HDMI out (which is why I bought a Roku 2 instead to have options) but I do not recall what options they offer.

The Yamaha may have config options for the video section so look at the setup menus to see what is there....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page