The Official Pioneer 8G KURO Owner's Discussions Thread - Page 588 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #17611 of 17640 Old 06-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post
My 5010 will not display on sources.

No red or blue blinking lights to give me a clue.

No video sources will display but I can get the TV menu to come up, the input source displays, and I can even get the sources resolution to display including when I change it on the device. Weird....

At first I had believed it was the HDMI board but the analog video and the tuner inputs won't display either. Anything from an outside source will not light the panel; and no audio either....

Any one have any ideas?

I have already power cycled, shut off the main power for 30 miunutes, and upon power up no change....

That sounds like the main assembly board. The HDMI and tuners are embedded on that board. The analog board connects to the main assembly board so the signal can be converted to digital. I don't know why you are not getting any flashing lights.
Usually when something fails you will get flashing lights.
You can try a reset to factory defaults. The procedure is on here somewhere. I know when my board failed I could not get to that point as the display would shut down on me but I could view only the menu system with out the unit shutting down.

The current price is $1027.50.
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...lNum=PDP5010FD

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17612 of 17640 Old 06-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Really appreciate the insight and the information on the board. I had previously replaced another board in this unit already but that time the flashing lights and service manual pin pointed the one I needed to replace.

Well, I guess I was not "patient" enough but several hours later (like 6 or seven) the panel started to behave normally and even this morning it was once again displaying a picture and audio from all the connected sources (Oppo blue ray, Roku, cable box, and analog tuner) so not sure what happened or even what restored it to working state again but I will not question this "gift".....

Thanks again...
post #17613 of 17640 Old 06-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post
Really appreciate the insight and the information on the board. I had previously replaced another board in this unit already but that time the flashing lights and service manual pin pointed the one I needed to replace.

Well, I guess I was not "patient" enough but several hours later (like 6 or seven) the panel started to behave normally and even this morning it was once again displaying a picture and audio from all the connected sources (Oppo blue ray, Roku, cable box, and analog tuner) so not sure what happened or even what restored it to working state again but I will not question this "gift".....

Thanks again...

That is good news. I wonder if it was the TV Guide feature on the TV acting up? But that usually gives you the twelve flashing blue lights. As long as it is working again I guess it is best to leave sleeping dogs lay.

post #17614 of 17640 Old 08-07-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I'm starting to have a new problem with my 5010 plasma. I have gone through the TV Guide issue a couple of times, but I've been able to recover from this using instructions from this forum. There were never any blinking lights, etc.. but the set would stop responding to the remote.

Yesterday when I would power on the display, I'd get the message "The plasma display panel is starting up, please wait." (Or whatever the message is..) That might disappear and reappear, but I couldn't get past that message in many tries.

Today, I get sound but no image on the input that is my DirecTV box. Other sources seem to be fine, so I'm experimenting with things. Obviously something's not right, but unsure what that is thus far.. any suggestions appreciated.

Edit: I now remember that DirecTV is using component video, so I can pass thru my old Slingbox. I've eliminated the DirecTV and Slingbox as issues, and it appears that I no longer have working component inputs on the 5010. Is this common?

Last edited by brentsg; 08-07-2016 at 11:46 AM.
post #17615 of 17640 Old 08-07-2016, 01:56 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
I've eliminated the DirecTV and Slingbox as issues, and it appears that I no longer have working component inputs on the 5010. Is this common?
I doubt that many people ever used their component inputs. I never have. A search of this thread for component might give you a clue.
post #17616 of 17640 Old 08-08-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I doubt that many people ever used their component inputs. I never have. A search of this thread for component might give you a clue.
Thanks, nice to see you're still hanging around! Yeah I did a cursory look around for signs of others with the issue but didn't see anything. You might be right about the component inputs, though I never saw any drawback with DirecTV's compressed content.

I've now had to do a factory reset twice to regain use of my remote, and once to regain the use of my component inputs. Yikes, all of this within a span of months.

Guessing I'm either looking for a reasonably price main board, or a new display soon. Will be sad to see it go, and shocked that it's not going to outlast my ancient PRO-720HD.

Edit: Holy cow, time to fork over more cash.. The ads are bringing my Mac Pro to its knees.

Last edited by brentsg; 08-08-2016 at 10:38 AM.
post #17617 of 17640 Old 08-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Thanks, nice to see you're still hanging around! Yeah I did a cursory look around for signs of others with the issue but didn't see anything. You might be right about the component inputs, though I never saw any drawback with DirecTV's compressed content.

I've now had to do a factory reset twice to regain use of my remote, and once to regain the use of my component inputs. Yikes, all of this within a span of months.

Guessing I'm either looking for a reasonably price main board, or a new display soon. Will be sad to see it go, and shocked that it's not going to outlast my ancient PRO-720HD.

Edit: Holy cow, time to fork over more cash.. The ads are bringing my Mac Pro to its knees.
Our 610 main board was replaced two and a half years ago under an extended warranty. If it should go again, I don't think I would pay that price to fix it. At the moment I'm following the 2016 Vizio P-Series for a rapid replacement. I'm also keeping an eye out for OLED developments. So far the OLED prices and potential longevity are a concern for me.

Good luck.
post #17618 of 17640 Old 09-14-2016, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,hoping someone on here can offer some advice.
I have a Pioneer pdp-lx508d I believe the US equivalent is the 5010FD.The panel was working perfectly until a week ago and has never missed a beat.
I put the panel into standby and went out to deal with some business.When I returned less than an hour later I was met with the blue LED blinking 9 times.
I have been unable to power up the panel ever since,ive left it unplugged from the mains for over 24 hours,upon plugging into the mains again the standby light is on for around 30 seconds then the 9 blue blinks start agin
There are lots of posts/threads regarding 8 blue blinks on the 5020 model but I'm unable to find any info concerning 9 blue blinks on a 5010
Any advice would be most welcome as I was happy with the panel and wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger on a HDR 4k.

Last edited by a4lloxo; 09-14-2016 at 03:12 AM.
post #17619 of 17640 Old 09-14-2016, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My 6010 panel did exactly that after a power outage (no surge). I did exactly what you've done, then finally just unplugged for an entire week. When I plugged it back in after that, it came right up and has been working ever since. It's now on a UPS but if we have another extended outage sometime...
a4lloxo likes this.
post #17620 of 17640 Old 09-14-2016, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Did you try a factory reset? If not I would try that, just make sure to write down all of your settings beforehand.
a4lloxo likes this.

post #17621 of 17640 Old 09-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepheid View Post
My 6010 panel did exactly that after a power outage (no surge). I did exactly what you've done, then finally just unplugged for an entire week. When I plugged it back in after that, it came right up and has been working ever since. It's now on a UPS but if we have another extended outage sometime...
Thanks that's good to know,will try that now as its been about 6 days
post #17622 of 17640 Old 09-14-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Did you try a factory reset? If not I would try that, just make sure to write down all of your settings beforehand.
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you but the panel wont switch on at all,doesnt it need to be powered for a factory reset?
post #17623 of 17640 Old 09-15-2016, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Yeah I guess you are right, you need to be able to navigate the service menu I believe in order to do the reset. Wow, you are in a real bind then.

post #17624 of 17640 Old 09-15-2016, 05:22 AM

well I plugged it in again and its still blinking
post #17625 of 17640 Old 10-10-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like my Pioneer 5010 is finally done. It was quirky toward the end, requiring a factory reset periodically.

Unfortunately now, if I plug it in fresh it gets stuck on "Powering up PDP Panel" or similar. If it's in standby, it just never displays an image when powered on. No way to get into service mode, and no blinking lights.

Edit: This problem continues to be quirky, apparently. After I posted this, I left it in standby. I returned to find it doing the 12 blinking blue lights sequence. Now when I restart the display, I get sound but no image. It does display the overlay graphics (INPUT, etc). I can also get into service mode, but once I'm there it doesn't respond to any button presses. I have unplugged it and will revisit in a day or so.

Another edit: Naturally now that I left it unplugged for a day it works fine. I guess I need to educate myself about which is the "main board" to see if I can locate a replacement.

Last edited by brentsg; 10-11-2016 at 01:21 PM.
post #17626 of 17640 Old 10-17-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there a theory on why leaving some of thee unplugged for an extended period of time seems to have benefit?
post #17627 of 17640 Old 02-19-2017, 11:06 AM

Liked: 0
hello all,

I'm going on almost a decade with 5010fd and it's been amazing. It's starting to show it's age however and recently it has been showing me solid blue/On and red/Standby indicators. It's happened maybe 5 times so far and it's definitely not something I have ever encountered in the past. I found the service manual which indicates a Trap Switch error and have been able to clear it. After the reset of the trap it goes back to normal operations.

So my question is, is it just old age? A bigger issue looming? The TV has been mounted on the wall twice, the most recent being 3-4 months ago, could that have something to do with it? I've never opened up the back of the tv before so I'm surprised the Trap switch is being tripped.

The only other recent change (past 2-3 weeks) is have added a Mohu Leaf antenna. I tried setting up the TV guide (on Ant A) for the first time. It ultimately never found any channels but I only get 5 so I don't really care about it. I heard there were issues with the TV guide app but I didn't think it had anything to do with the trap switch.

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers.
post #17628 of 17640 Old 02-23-2017, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I have a problem-free 2007 PRO-150FD... knock-on-wood.

There is a lot of information on the Internet (including some YouTube videos) regarding tripping the trap switch for a Pioneer PDP & method(s) to reset it, but nothing (at least that I could fine) regarding what causes the trap switch to be tripped.

Since it appears to be an issue that isn't uncommon & is one that can be resolved through the service menu, unless you're experiencing this on a frequent basis I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.

After all I (we?) have PDPs nearly a decade old (I also have a 2005 Panasonic PDP) with many thousands of hours of operation so how much longer do we anticipate they can run trouble free?

I've been looking for an excuse to buy an OLED, but until one of my (3) PDPs (also have a Samsung 64F8500) hits the bricks... I'm not in the market for a new display.
post #17629 of 17640 Old 02-25-2017, 08:02 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
I have a problem-free 2007 PRO-150FD... knock-on-wood.

There is a lot of information on the Internet (including some YouTube videos) regarding tripping the trap switch for a Pioneer PDP & method(s) to reset it, but nothing (at least that I could fine) regarding what causes the trap switch to be tripped.

Since it appears to be an issue that isn't uncommon & is one that can be resolved through the service menu, unless you're experiencing this on a frequent basis I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.

After all I (we?) have PDPs nearly a decade old (I also have a 2005 Panasonic PDP) with many thousands of hours of operation so how much longer do we anticipate they can run trouble free?

I've been looking for an excuse to buy an OLED, but until one of my (3) PDPs (also have a Samsung 64F8500) hits the bricks... I'm not in the market for a new display.
Thanks 9179mhb,

I'm in the same boat, I'm looking forward to picking up an OLED however that's not going to happen until the 5010fd kicks the bucket. I've been 3 days without a trap switch trip so I'm not going to pronounce it dead just yet. In a world of planned obsolescence I forget how well these Kuros have held up, it was strange to type out a decade, for a TV no less!

Cheers
post #17630 of 17640 Old 02-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok77 View Post
Thanks 9179mhb,

I'm in the same boat, I'm looking forward to picking up an OLED however that's not going to happen until the 5010fd kicks the bucket. I've been 3 days without a trap switch trip so I'm not going to pronounce it dead just yet. In a world of planned obsolescence I forget how well these Kuros have held up, it was strange to type out a decade, for a TV no less!

Cheers
Being an old "politically incorrect" fart, I can't help but observe that my 12 year-old $5000 TH-50PX50U was made in Japan & my $7500 10 year-old PRO-150FD was assembled in America; so I guess I'm getting what I paid for.

I also have a PN64F8500 purchased during 2013 that is still doing well.

I'm interested in upgrading my HT to support UHD, but can't really justify the expense for a new OLED, AVR & BD player until one of my PDPs bites the dust.

Plus, I've been an enthusiast long enough to remember the promise & debacle regarding the CableCARD 1/2 spec's. and I find it annoying to see the constant change with UDH platforms; especially with HDMI, H.265 & now ATSC 3.0?

Give me a break already.
post #17631 of 17640 Old 02-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Being an old "politically incorrect" fart, I can't help but observe that my 12 year-old $5000 TH-50PX50U was made in Japan & my $7500 10 year-old PRO-150FD was assembled in America; so I guess I'm getting what I paid for.

I'm interested in upgrading my HT to support UHD, but can't really justify the expense for a new OLED, AVR & BD player until one of my PDPs bites the dust.

Plus, I've been an enthusiast long enough to remember the promise & debacle regarding the CableCARD 1/2 spec's. and I find it annoying to see the constant change with UDH platforms; especially with HDMI, H.265 & now ATSC 3.0?

Give me a break already.

i still have my 110Fd in my bedroom that is alive and kicking. My 151Fd bit the dust in September of last year. I ended up getting and LG OLED E6 to replace the 151 and a Marantz 8802a to replace my Denon 4308ci and move to Dolby Atmos 5.1.4. I feel like I got burned on the Marantz 8802a because there might be issues with the processor passing Dolby Vision. i spoke to several people at Marantz and was told they plan on updating the 8802a but things can change. My E6 does not have HDMI 2.1 so now I will lose out on HFR 120Hz for sports over tv. Lg is going to update the TV for HLG which is good. In 2018 or 2019 I will most likely replace my 110Fd because HDMI 2.1 will be out. So the E6 in my living room will get moved to my bedroom. In your case if your stuff is still working I would not make a move until late 2018 or early 2019 so you can take advantage of all forms of HDR and by then HDMI 2.1 will be squared away and so will the new cables for HDMI 2.1. ATSC 3.0 is being launch first quarter of 2018. LG is going to put ATSC 3.0 tuners in all of their tv's so you will be covered there if you decide to get an LG OLED.
post #17632 of 17640 Old 02-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Give me a break already.

My two 5010s are still going. I did have to replace the main assembly board in one but I have no intention of getting anything new as these two are doing fine. Besides it looks like the broadcasters are looking at 1080p HDR for ATSC 3.0 so I would not buy anything new at all until we see what they do. They have no interest in 4k as it is to expensive to make the switch.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...decision-97887

post #17633 of 17640 Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
My two 5010s are still going. I did have to replace the main assembly board in one but I have no intention of getting anything new as these two are doing fine. Besides it looks like the broadcasters are looking at 1080p HDR for ATSC 3.0 so I would not buy anything new at all until we see what they do. They have no interest in 4k as it is to expensive to make the switch.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...decision-97887
How were you able to source the main assembly board? Curious if you found a used one, or paid the expensive price Pioneer asks.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S
post #17634 of 17640 Old 02-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How were you able to source the main assembly board? Curious if you found a used one, or paid the expensive price Pioneer asks.

New from Pioneer as there was nothing else available. I paid $800 back in 2013. Installed it myself.

post #17635 of 17640 Old 04-28-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
.. hello fellow Kuro Owners,

have owned the 1150HD for awhile and would like to move it to the bedroom, in favor of a larger (UHD) set for the Living room.

the space I have available directly in front of bed is somewhat limited, making this ~ 56" wide (w/ speakers) quite overwhelming.

would appreciated a suggestion/help/anything regarding an idea I had to 'convert' the side speakers into a 'soundbar' of sorts and mount it underneath the main unit. This would bring the 1150HD down to ~ 48" and visually, I think it would fit the space.

much Thanks to any assistance and to All in the past .. particularly D'Nice for the calibrations!!
post #17636 of 17640 Old 05-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the 5010 bit the dust again and this time I had flashing lights telling me which board to replace. The "Digital Assembly" board was called out and I was able to acquire one off of eBay.

This particular board is a nightmare to get at and after quite a bit of maneuvering I got it swapped out... But, upon power up I am getting a new flashing light error and will have to crack the case (which is a giant PITA) to see if I have any loose or incorrect connections (as replacing the board comprised of unlatching several wire harnesses and ribbon cables) hoping that that is the new issue....

If I can't get this to come back to life I may have to resort replacing this or cascading the 6010 and making the plunge into an HDR-4K model. Would really like to restore this set to working again as the only picture worthy is an OLED and those are pricey....(but less than the original price of the 5010 back in 2007...).
post #17637 of 17640 Old 05-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Good news (for me)!!!!

Took a couple of tries (to re-secure all of the connections) but finally got a clean power up and the panel is alive once again.

This time it was the "Digital Assembly" board which, as it turns out, is a PITA to get at to replace. That particular board is underneath the main assembly section.

Here is a pic of the corner of the main assembly you have to move out of the way.

And a pic of the board below that was the bad component. Notice the 11 ribbon cables that have to detached to swap the board itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2 - Copy.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	2125201   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	2125209  
post #17638 of 17640 Old 05-08-2017, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks for posting this! My 5010 is still going strong, but if this ever happens to it this is a good reference. The question is - which will last longer: my 5010, or my resolve to hold out against the upgrade bug? 4K 65" OLED or a JVC front projector are getting more tempting every year.

post #17639 of 17640 Old 05-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebling View Post
Thanks for posting this! My 5010 is still going strong, but if this ever happens to it this is a good reference. The question is - which will last longer: my 5010, or my resolve to hold out against the upgrade bug? 4K 65" OLED or a JVC front projector are getting more tempting every year.
I'm waiting for a solid supply of HDR source material and solid display HDR firmware in the display I choose. Neither exist now if you want DV.
post #17640 of 17640 Old 08-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Shot in the dark here, but anyone have a tabletop stand for a Pro-150, or equivalent, they want to part with? pdk-1015 i believe works.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page