post #181 of 17587 Old 06-11-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bak_phy View Post

in all seriousness though.. Does this TV have any flaws? yes! have I ever seen a better tv? Not even close.

Stop right there. No need to look for flaws. Enjoy your set. No need to go scouting for non-apparent issues. Give us some updates after you have put it through it's paces with DVD player, etc. Good luck, and long life to your new TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 17587 Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For all I know this TV has the best SD 9cable) processing there is. Still looks looks terrible compared to HD though. Might look good from 20ft so that an honest comparison with peoples old 25in TVs could be done.
I've only wathced "the illusionist" on regular dvd but it's filmed in a funny way with lots of filters so it wasn't really a very good test film. Looked good though for what it is worth.
I almost bought the panny 700u but thought it had a lot of black crush and it seemed dim. I did like the extra pixels though.
post #183 of 17587 Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 PM

Liked: 10
I would love to see a rs1 vs 8th gen pioneer shootout.
post #184 of 17587 Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 PM

Just saw both 4280 and 5080 at the Pioneer Store in S. Cal. They were running a HD feed from a media processor into the 5080. Video quality was stunning. Colors were very vibrant without being unnatural, it had a very 3 dimensional appearance. Black levels seemed very black though not quite as black as the bezel. I found the video to be much more pleasing than my Pioneer Elite rear projection CRT. The video feed was clearly designed to show off the black levels.
post #185 of 17587 Old 06-11-2007, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I must admit, I'm a little disappointed by the early results in regard to owner and viewer reports of screen reflectivity. The gist opinion seems to be either "not much different" or only "a little better" than other plasmas they've seen or owned previously.

Maybe I was misreading the plasma leaves during these past several months of build-up, but I thought there was going to be significant improvement here. I wasn't expecting an lcd-like lack of reflectivity, per se, but I was expecting to hear things like "50% better" or even "25% better" than before. Attributing a numerical % value to what I've been reading from the first few reporting owners, it's sounds more on the order of 10% less reflectivity, if that.

I realize that the Elites will have the best screen filter, but my built-up expectation was that there wouldn't be much difference between the Elite and the non-Elite filters. If this be true, I won't be expecting "jumping for joy" posts on this particular aspect when the Elites finally do hit the street.

If what I am saying here does prove to be accurate, I would really like to start reading more assessments which attempt to describe how the increased contrast and new 'adjusting for ambient light' control on these panels effect daylight, high background reflectivity viewing experiences. Maybe these two things will help pick up where the screen filters drop off.

Personally, I prefer the more reflective screen as non reflective screens diffuse the picture. Ever notice how blacks have a chalky look to them that reflective screens don't have? With that said, if your room is set up where windows reflect onto the screen, then a non reflective screen may be better for you.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #186 of 17587 Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I want the best of both worlds. Non-reflective screen with zero negative impact upon screen image. Man on the moon, split the atom, built a better mousetrap, etc. C'mon, we can do this!

It's not a huge dealbreaker for me, but I was led to false expectation. Or else I did a poor job of interpreting the marketing press and early reports. Nah, that can't be right. I'm perfect, afterall.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #187 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Has anybody tried getting the 1:1 pixel mapping over VGA for the 5080?

How does the set look through VGA? Indistinguishable from HDMI? Worse?

Also, does the set still have some image retention?

I want to hook up a computer to my next TV, and I'm deciding between a Pioneer 8G or a Sony SXRD.

If you've had half as much fun reading this post as I've had writing it, well then, I've had twice as much fun writing this post as you've had reading it.
post #188 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerman View Post

Has anybody tried getting the 1:1 pixel mapping over VGA for the 5080?

How does the set look through VGA? Indistinguishable from HDMI? Worse?

Also, does the set still have some image retention?

I want to hook up a computer to my next TV, and I'm deciding between a Pioneer 8G or a Sony SXRD.

Fanerman, if I have understood correctly from one of the last posts of D-Nice, the Pio 8G 768p models will always do 2% overscan when using the HDMI input.

The PC input will do 1:1 pixel mapping, but although it accepts 60 Hz, I am not 100% sure if this input is suitable for moving pictures

You will need a Pio 8G 1080p to do 1:1 pixelmapping over HDMI.
post #189 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

What frequencies can you feed 1080p at to these new screens?

Chris
post #190 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 AM

In Europe we had to wait min another month to see something...

But in all the USA only Supervision2010 got the kindness to put online a picture of this new Plasmas!??!
post #191 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maffhew View Post

In Europe we had to wait min another month to see something...

But in all the USA only Supervision2010 got the kindness to put online a picture of this new Plasmas!??!

I know right....WE NEED MORE PICTURES!!!
post #192 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Whats with all this BS filling this and many other 8g threads lately. Use the PM feature, its there for a reason. Also, is this a promotional thread for Invision? Are they allowed to advertise in these forums and now use these forums to deal with customers.
post #193 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

The 700/750 have a minimum luminance level of 0.018ft-l. The PX60 series has a minimum luminance level of 0.012ft-l. ...

Hello D-Nice!!

Could you please tell me, just to have an idea, what should me the minimum luminance level difference between the 8th gen Pioneer Hd-Ready, and the Full HD ones??

Because I'm not interested ad resolution at all (I sit too far from the tv to notice the difference) but I'm interested in understanding what could be the difference in black level between 768 and 1080 panels.

Thank you.
post #194 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

I know right....WE NEED MORE PICTURES!!!

Ditto.
post #195 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 AM

Unfortunately things do happen and it sucks to have delays when you're looking forward to something. Quick story, I just took delivery of an '07 Porsche 997 TT that I ordered over 6 months ago. Talk about a wait! The "completition date" changed at least 3 times with absolutely no explanation. Unlike most car companies PCNA does not have "real time" data to PCA's system to check status of cars and where in production they are. Only when the data is "pushed" by Germany can you get an update. The most profitable car company in the world

Once the car is completed you now have to wait for a boat. That can take anywhere from 3 days to 4 weeks (and i've heard longer in some cases). Again, no explanation as to why my car might get on a boat in 3 days and another car completed the same day could take 3 weeks.

Then you get to wait for the trucking company that Porsche uses in the states to get your car from the port to your dealer. Lots of logistic issues and lots of opportunities for things to go wrong or get delayed.

Porsche does not always have control over what happens nor does Invision Displays once they place the order. I'm sure if Invision had multiple issues with this carrier they'd use someone else. would be bad for business to constantly have issues. Humans are involved and mistakes happen.

I called Roman last week and ordered my 1st HD TV - A Pioneer 5080. Just got the call from the freight company today that it will be delivered tomorrow. fortunately, it looks as though my order will be completed without a hitch.

Since i'm a noob in the HiDef world my biggest concern is figuring out all this complicated stuff!!

Sorry for OT - Mods feel free to delete

Chris
post #196 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No delays here.
My 5080 is here sitting in it's box. I asked the delivery guy to help me open the box and get it on my stand so I could inspect- he refused and said he had no time for that- he had to get back to the truck.
(I was prepared to tip him for the trouble- his loss- I kept my cash in pocket)

As soon as the wife gets home- we'll hoist this baby out and I'll post some feedback.
post #197 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Yes, with picturs please. Day and night pictures if possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #198 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
bokes,

Did you get to inspect it for damage?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #199 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I finally got to see the 5080 in the dark w/ a remote in hand. God there's alot of picture options on that thing ("Smooth" Processing, Black Corrector, gamma, etc.) . Anyway... I was impressed! Great shadow detail. Punchiest colors from any TV display I've ever seen in the dark. For the first time, I've seen a flat panel that made dark scenes look properly dark.

Rich blacks. Although while not totally blend into the background dim on an all black screen, on 90 percent of what I watched the black bars totally blended into the bezel in the pitch dark. Amazing. The TV would've been mine if the guys at the home theater place would drop their price a little bit. Argh.

CRT-type black performance from a plasma, and overall contrast that beats down the best CRTs. Including all that Pioneer plasma goodness in terms of colors and processing. Really awesome... and for those who are getting into the flat panel world for the first time w/ the 5080, you don't know how good you got it.

The 1140 looked like a green glowing gus next to the 5080. The improvement is really THAT good. Actual blacks on a flat panel? Better believe it.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #200 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

bokes,

Did you get to inspect it for damage?

Even if the driver wasn't nice enough to wait, if he notices damage tonight we will swap it out.
post #201 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 12:10 PM

You may want to check out the forum sponsors for a deal. I was going to wait until the price had dropped $1000. Didn't have to wait long
Remember to click through on the top boxes as some have special discounts to AVS members.

P.S. I am new to flatpanel and I do know how good I got it.
post #202 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

Well I finally got to see the 5080 in the dark w/ a remote in hand. God there's alot of picture options on that thing ("Smooth" Processing, Black Corrector, gamma, etc.) . Anyway... I was impressed! Great shadow detail. Punchiest colors from any TV display I've ever seen in the dark. For the first time, I've seen a flat panel that made dark scenes look properly dark.

Rich blacks. Although while not totally blend into the background dim on an all black screen, on 90 percent of what I watched the black bars totally blended into the bezel in the pitch dark. Amazing. The TV would've been mine if the guys at the home theater place would drop their price a little bit. Argh.

CRT-type black performance from a plasma, and overall contrast that beats down the best CRTs. Including all that Pioneer plasma goodness in terms of colors and processing. Really awesome... and for those who are getting into the flat panel world for the first time w/ the 5080, you don't know how good you got it.

The 1140 looked like a green glowing gus next to the 5080. The improvement is really THAT good. Actual blacks on a flat panel? Better believe it.

Damn JB, you didn't give me enough time to get you some settings. I should have some later this week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #203 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInvision View Post

Even if the driver wasn't nice enough to wait, if he notices damage tonight we will swap it out.

What about any dead pixels?
post #204 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

What about any dead pixels?

PM me I don't want to upset anymore people by talking about it off topic
post #205 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Okay number one. Remember as cool as flat panel displays are. And no matter WHAT anyone tells you. CRTs are still the 'goal' in terms of pure picture quality in a sense that no other TV display, Rear Projection, Plasma, LCD, or even most front projection can get a true deep black in dark scenes.

While the black level is very important - it is far from many folks here make it out to be.

CRT picture is a flickery glowing mess.
post #206 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Damn JB, you didn't give me enough time to get you some settings. I should have some later this week.

Yea, sorry D. Way too anxious! Hehe. Sucks, I probably won't go back to them. More or less, in the nicest way, I kinda just said no buy. I appreciate taking the plasma out so I can check it out. But I ain't gonna say thank you by paying 800 bucks more than other places. Geesh.

Hopefully someone else can get a true dark room test, with your settings. Alot of owners now anyway. Probably too busy being wowed by their sets. Those blacks are mighty fine.

post #207 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba676 View Post

While the black level is very important - it is far from many folks here make it out to be.

CRT picture is a flickery glowing mess.

Agreed... to an extent. I think this is all subjective. I myself am a I black level freak... but will not ever buy a CRT because of the headaches that go along with that.

post #208 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1x View Post

In case it was not mentioned, it should be noted that the new 1080p Panny fails to compare with its older siblings (the 60u series) in terms of black level. The contrast ratio took a hit. Making such a comparison would only highlight a flaw of the new 1080p Panny. The 75u panels, however, really do not seem to vary from the 60u in terms of performance.

Given that contrast ratios are sometimes construed as being just part of marketing hype and that the different panel manufacturers are not using a standardized method for measuring them, it's often not used as an accurate reflection of the true performance of a panel. We all know there's more to the actual performance of a panel than that particular metric. Case in point: PIO 7G PDP-5070 has a 3000:1 Contrast Ratio, Panasonic TH-50PX60U has a spec 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio..........yet the 768p 5070 is a more highly regarded and better performing panel than the Panasonic 768p panel. The stellar 50" 1080p PRO-FHD1 has a tested Contrast Ratio of 2500:1, a CR less than both of these other 768p PDP's.....

Despite that spec "lower contrast ratio" from 10,000:1 to 5,000:1 and doubling the pixel density, the black level of these 1080p new panels are better than the older 60u's. I've seen the new 58" 700 sets in comparison to the older 58" 600u, and at least on the larger 58" PDP, the new 1080p set is a better performer with respect to improved black filtration. Testing has proven that to be true as well. Older 60u/600u sets are sure priced right though

The new 8G panels are certainly said to be impressive, and in regards to their stated contrast levels, Pio says that standard test equipment does not have the range to measure their contrast ratios!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...277724,00.html
post #209 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:

The things is, I've never seen a set that looked completely 'off'. Even the HD CRTs I've seen. In a completely dark room, you can still tell it's on. My old tube glows a bit. All the CRT studio monitors at the job do the same thing. Anyone expecting absolutely nada w/o any drawbacks might be waiting for quite awhile.

Johnny, I was thinking the same thing. My 34" Panasonic CRT HDTV can be seen with a slight glow and no signal. If that's the extent of the 'glow' we see with the new Pioneers, we will have crossed into CRT "Black level land"!
post #210 of 17587 Old 06-12-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Yea, sorry D. Way too anxious! Hehe. Sucks, I probably won't go back to them. More or less, in the nicest way, I kinda just said no buy. I appreciate taking the plasma out so I can check it out. But I ain't gonna say thank you by paying 800 bucks more than other places. Geesh.

Hopefully someone else can get a true dark room test, with your settings. Alot of owners now anyway. Probably too busy being wowed by their sets. Those blacks are mighty fine.

wish we could turn the lights off/down at the pioneer store, maybe if i go close to closing...... they know i'm interested in the elites but said to go ahead and bring some of my regular dvd's in and give them a whirl. i think kevin is just interested in my bizarre guy maddin collection
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page