The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to get a calibration done, but since audio is required, that let's me out. My surround system is an older cheap HTIB. I don't have the funds to upgrade at the moment. I know there are calibrators out there who do video only, but UMR comes so highly recommended that I would feel like I wasn't getting the best. And so, why bother?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

I don't have cable long enough to hook my 5080 up to my pc.
I can rent the Incredibles but only on SD-DVD, is that o.k.?

Sure. I think the point is to get rapidly shifting patterns of bright colors. Just make sure you use a zoom setting so that you're filling the screen ...
post #6033 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post

I would like to get a calibration done, but since audio is required, that let's me out. My surround system is an older cheap HTIB. I don't have the funds to upgrade at the moment. I know there are calibrators out there who do video only, but UMR comes so highly recommended that I would feel like I wasn't getting the best. And so, why bother?

Eliab is another excellent calibrator (he can do ISFccc if you want it). He is available at Avical.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6034 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjaynes38 View Post

I rec my new 5080 tomorrow and believe in the necessity of "burn in" according to Mr D-Nice et al.....btw TYVM.....Can u plz help me out and tell me how/what to download...this is what D-Nice proposes to aid in the burn in process -

Er, that would be "break in" rather than "burn in."
post #6035 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Do a search on panel hours. I keep the steps at home, I don't have them memorized to be able to do them here at work. Its been posted dozens of times.

Thanks I will do that.
post #6036 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit View Post

I think posting ISF settings are instant bans here man.

? That would be rather draconian.
post #6037 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

You know I just thought, If the CIE chart that was just posted was before calibration that makes more sense. I still want my data posted, because it shows how accurate CS2 is after calibration.

You can calibrate color/tint/contrast/brightness, gray scale/color temp, and gamma all day long and the CIE chart color space points won't change. The only things that will change the points on the CIE chart are:
- Selecting Color Space 1 or Color Space 2
- Using the CMS controls
post #6038 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 AM

I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered or asked in the past. I have read so many of these forums, that I am getting confused

- how is the video processor in the 5080? How does standard TV look?

- Is calibration necessary or possible on the 5080 without using the service menu (Which voids the warranty).

- Is calibration necessary if I mainly use it for FIOS TV, and occasional DVD.

- Is BluRay DVD on the 5080 worth the $$$?

- I do not have an AVR with HDMI inputs at the moment and would prefer not to have to bother. Is it necessary?
- Can the 5080 speaker be used as a Center Channel Only speaker?

- Is it best to run everything( direclty to the TV instead of through a reciever?

- How is the quality of picture when using the cable card with FIOS TV service (What are the limitations/advantages?)

Also, if I were to have an HDMI compatible reciever, would I only run 1 hdmi cable from the TV, and then have the reciever switch the source between the DVD and TV?

Thx in advance.

Thanks, Dave
post #6039 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 09:04 AM
jfz

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post

I have the same issue. I have a *superb*, separate audio system in another room, and I choose to use a smallish (but excellent) two-channel analog system with my Pioneer 110. This is just the way I live; the TV is in a much smaller room. I *feel* like I'm being penalized (prevented) from getting the best video calibration I can get, simply because I don't have surround sound with my video. To be honest, I don't know for sure if that's the real issue (i.e., not having surround), or if it is cost - i.e., maybe Jeff needs a certain minimum fee to make touring worthwhile; and that he feels he needs to provide audio as well, if he's going to charge that fee. If that's the case, however, I don't know why someone who was willing to pay the fee couldn't get him for video only.

Anyway, I'm saving my money and would like to get my TV calibrated someday. I just don't know who else I would trust to do the kind of job I would want.
post #6040 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Eliab is another excellent calibrator (he can do ISFccc if you want it). He is available at Avical.com

Thank you, D-Nice! I appreciate the recommendation. I'll definitely look into it.
post #6041 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

The whole idea of copying settings does not work. People would be much better off if they adjusted their display properly using good technique and tools instead of posting this endless steam of settings. Every unit that I work on requires a different set of settings to deliver the proper image. Many sources also require correction making the process much larger than the display alone.

Absolutely! The differences from D-nice's suggested settings and my ISF calibration settings are large on a number of RGB High/Low settings and even more so with the Colour Management.

The change was remarkable: at first I thought saturation might be a bit high, but as I watched further material, I realized that the colour renditions had made a quantum leap in tracking variations in physical settings and light shifts, e.g., changes in colour tone in differing indoor settings/light conditions and faces and changes in outdoor lighting due to weather conditions, time of day, etc.

When I used D-nice's settings, these shifts were much less apparent, as in the picture retained a more similar colour cast across different scenes and lighting conditions. All the apparent "dullness" is now gone and when "Pop" is called for, it is there; when subtle shadings are presented they appear very realistic. Check out the difference in perceived colours and shadow detail viewing the same scene from early morning to noon to late afternoon to evening on a sunny day, a cloudy day and a dark, stormy, rainy day and you'll get some idea of what this variation is about.

To use an analogy from audio reproduction: on a poor system, everything starts to sound similar; on a revealing system, differences in recording venue, tonal variations and interpretive nuances jump out at you. Excellent lighting design on stage produces an increased sense of the dramatic content of the play, supporting and creating the meaning and emotional tones of the presentation. It is similar in films and a great director uses lighting to enhance the message and tone of the story. This is one of the major benefits of calibration...from my point of view.
post #6042 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

Wrong - I just used it to buy Star Wars Eps I and II, which were already on sale. With some items (Magnolia) the coupons never work on a sale price but with other items they will. Someone posted earlier today about a 5080 on sale where he used a coupon.

Just because they violated the terms on the coupon and let you do it doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. At my Best Buy they practically ambush you at the door to tell you that you can't use a coupon on a sale priced item.

That's the text on the coupon so if you got lucky grats, some people do.
post #6043 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfz View Post

I have the same issue. I have a *superb*, separate audio system in another room, and I choose to use a smallish (but excellent) two-channel analog system with my Pioneer 110. This is just the way I live; the TV is in a much smaller room. I *feel* like I'm being penalized (prevented) from getting the best video calibration I can get, simply because I don't have surround sound with my video. To be honest, I don't know for sure if that's the real issue (i.e., not having surround), or if it is cost - i.e., maybe Jeff needs a certain minimum fee to make touring worthwhile; and that he feels he needs to provide audio as well, if he's going to charge that fee. If that's the case, however, I don't know why someone who was willing to pay the fee couldn't get him for video only.

Anyway, I'm saving my money and would like to get my TV calibrated someday. I just don't know who else I would trust to do the kind of job I would want.

I'm in exactly the same situation as you (though I have a 5010). Sometimes, with all the talk on these forums, I feel like I'm in the Dark Ages for still clinging onto 2-channel audio (albeit high-end 2-channel), but that's OK.

Russell
post #6044 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshearer View Post

I had the great pleasure of a visit yesterday from Jeff Meier (UMR) who did a calibration of my Pioneer 150FD plasma and also a calibration of my Sony VW100 (Ruby) projector and audio system.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel list that is linked at the bottom of my post.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6045 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 10:14 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

You can calibrate color/tint/contrast/brightness, gray scale/color temp, and gamma all day long and the CIE chart color space points won't change. The only things that will change the points on the CIE chart are:
- Selecting Color Space 1 or Color Space 2
- Using the CMS controls

That is not true. I would suggest you experiment some more. Many of those settings will change the CIE chart.

W. Jeff Meier

post #6046 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_L View Post

I think D-Nice would now tell you that his reference settings apply to all sources. I've been using his 5010 reference settings for both my Comcast HD cable DVR (Motorola DCH3416) and my BD player (Pioneer BDP-95FD) with great results.

Russell

Russell,

Great, thank you for the insight. I appreciate it. As I sift through all of the content I'll keep my eye out for more settings AND will also post mine settings as I become more familiar with the television.

Thanks again, Russell.

Check out the Pioneer 5010/6010 ONLY settings/issues/discussion Thread
post #6047 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfz View Post

...I *feel* like I'm being penalized (prevented) from getting the best video calibration I can get, simply because I don't have surround sound with my video. To be honest, I don't know for sure if that's the real issue (i.e., not having surround), or if it is cost - i.e., maybe Jeff needs a certain minimum fee to make touring worthwhile; and that he feels he needs to provide audio as well, if he's going to charge that fee. If ...

The reasons I do this are several.
  1. I believe audio is a major factor and should always be done. It makes me very upset when I work on a display and the client will not let me fix his sound when it is horrible.
  2. People's audio is as much in need of adjustment as their video. I would say it is usually more wrong than the video.
  3. The demand for my services with this restriction is still more than I can meet. Why do video alone when it is less fun, delivers less value and lower revenue?
  4. I provide what I believe is the very highest quality video and audio calibration/design service available. Why dilute my offering by only doing one?

W. Jeff Meier

post #6048 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Makes sense, not that you need to qualify yourself or your services, as they are known to be great..
To play devil's advocate though, some people are more interested in video than audio and vice versa. Also, it 'seems' that a user 'can' tweak their sound more and easier than calibrating their display correctly.

If I could afford your services I would jump all over the opportunity as you have an immpecable and shining history with AV brethren.
post #6049 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeff,
I would like to know if you have calibrated any 5080's where PWM noise was visible?
post #6050 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf57 View Post

Absolutely! The differences from D-nice's suggested settings and my ISF calibration settings are large on a number of RGB High/Low settings and even more so with the Colour Management.

If you can edit your post to include information about who did your calibration, I would like to include it in the owner's report list for flat panel displays that is linked at the bottom of my post.

Calibration Resources:

post #6051 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

To play devil's advocate though, some people are more interested in video than audio and vice versa. Also, it 'seems' that a user 'can' tweak their sound more and easier than calibrating their display correctly.

And many are interested in both. I wonder if it is really easier to tweak your own audio system. I'm sure it's not wise for me to do either one.

That's why I want Jeff to do both audio and video in March.

As someone pointed out, Eliab (East Coast), and his partner David Abrams (West Coast) have outstanding reputations, and the last time I checked, they only work with video. There are many reports about their work in the owner's list for "All Other Displays" that is linked at the bottom of my post.

Calibration Resources:

post #6052 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just now noticed something. My D* HD-DVR froze up and I had to reset it.
Now on all my previous t.v.'s over the last ~5 years with D* the start up screen is blue. But my 5080 in any mode other than Optimum was purple. Is this what people were talking about with the NY Giants being purple? I did not notice it so much in the game, they looked pretty dead on though.

So what is it about Optimum that it is the only mode doing this?
RE: 5080

Edit, although Color Temp. Med also makes it the blue I remember I see it clearly creates color accuracy issues elsewhere.

Would a calibration resolve this or is it just how it's going to be in movie or user mode?
post #6053 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Edit, although Color Temp. Med also makes it the blue I remember I see it clearly creates color accuracy issues elsewhere.

Would a calibration resolve this or is it just how it's going to be in movie or user mode?

Just reduce the High R-Gain in your service menu and see what you think, probably be 95% right for not the $23890423 you'll pay for a pro-cal :P
post #6054 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM

Jeff, Is there a lot of value in getting the 5080 calibrated? Do you have to go into the Service menu?

- If yes, is this something that needs to be done over and over again?

What is your opinion about this buzzing. I cannot decide if I should just wait for the 9G's to come out.

Thanks, Dave
post #6055 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 11:38 AM

How much improvement can be gained with the 5080 with calibration vs. just using D-nice's initial settings? Besides the basic setting what else can be calibrated on the 5080 without RGB control?

~Life is short...that is why I spent two grand on a kick butt TV!!
post #6056 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

Just reduce the High R-Gain in your service menu and see what you think, probably be 95% right for not the $23890423 you'll pay for a pro-cal :P

Service menu? This is for my 5080(non-elite). I thought, huess I was wrong that those settings were unable to be used?
post #6057 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Service menu? This is for my 5080(non-elite). I thought, huess I was wrong that those settings were unable to be used?

that's what some people in here would like you to believe, search this thread for service menu and r-gain and you'll see how, i believe nuance made a post on it.. and yes it DOES apply to us 5080 folks

IMO the inaccuracy between color temp LOW and MEDIUM is so far off using your eyes to get rid of most/all of the red push is going to get you much closer to 6500 in LOW without paying for a cal and i bet 95% of us in here would be just thrilled with that
post #6058 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks boost, will search now. And I do agree med. temp. is very innacurate in other colors.
post #6059 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks boost, will search now. And I do agree med. temp. is very innacurate in other colors.

I wish the calibrators/d-nice etc would just post the desired high R/G/B gain values they end up with in most cases, it won't be 100% for our individual sets, but it'll be 10x better than what we're looking at now, i'll be toying with mine tonight since i'm at about 120hrs
post #6060 of 12879 Old 01-18-2008, 12:00 PM
RBO
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

The reasons I do this are several.
  1. I believe audio is a major factor and should always be done. It makes me very upset when I work on a display and the client will not let me fix his sound when it is horrible.
  2. People's audio is as much in need of adjustment as their video. I would say it is usually more wrong than the video.
  3. The demand for my services with this restriction is still more than I can meet. Why do video alone when it is less fun, delivers less value and lower revenue?
  4. I provide what I believe is the very highest quality video and audio calibration/design service available. Why dilute my offering by only doing one?

I say only those with hearing ability to hear these Kuros constantly buzzing would benefit from any audio calibration. Those unable to hear any buzzing, or conversely, like me suffer from tinitus and hear constant buzzing with or without a Kuro, do NOT need to worry about nor should they have even purchased audio systems worthy of specialty servicing.

Russ (another one)

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6010fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pro110 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page