jfz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

The reasons I do this are several.
  1. I believe audio is a major factor and should always be done. It makes me very upset when I work on a display and the client will not let me fix his sound when it is horrible.
  2. People's audio is as much in need of adjustment as their video. I would say it is usually more wrong than the video.
  3. The demand for my services with this restriction is still more than I can meet. Why do video alone when it is less fun, delivers less value and lower revenue?
  4. I provide what I believe is the very highest quality video and audio calibration/design service available. Why dilute my offering by only doing one?

Jeff: Your answers make perfect sense to me - from your perspective. Let me address them, though, as I have a different perspective.

1. I've been a *serious*, high-end audiophile for about 38 years; so I too believe audio is a major factor. In fact, one could say I think audio is *more* important, as I only recently bought a large-screen TV. When you say it "should always be done", I assume you mean that you feel you can always improve it. Fair enough. You also speak of situations in which the audio is horrible. What if the audio is amazingly good to start with, however? Meaning that you agree there is little, or nothing you can do; and the customer is fine with that? Is that somehow a bad situation?
2. What about those people whose audio is significantly better than their video? i.e., why deprive them of your very special video services?
3. Why would it be less revenue if I paid you the same amount, regardless of whether you did the audio or not? Why worry about the value if I'm happy with it? I'm afraid I can't help with the fun part. We could spend the extra time listening to my stereo; or watching a movie, though
4. I believe you when you say that you provide the highest quality. That is exactly why I would like to take advantage of your video skills. I wouldn't be at all against discussing audio, and hearing your advice there too. I would certainly take the attitude that there is always more to learn. In fact, we could just make that a part of the package; i.e., that you work on the audio side of things by offering advice, suggesting changes, how I might go to surround sound in my small room, etc.

The bottom line is that you would receive the same amount of money; I would get the benefit of your audio expertise in the form of - at least - discussion, feedback, etc; I would get much better video than what I've been able to get on my own; and we could have fun doing all this. My question is "why deprive me of your services, simply because I have a two-channel system"?

p.s. If you were to think my sound was horrible, I would be happy to let you fix it! (as long as whatever you did was easily reversible; i.e., if I thought it then sounded worse)

Thanks for responding and having this discussion, Jeff.
post #6063 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone tried hooking up surround speakers to the back of the tv? Just wondering how it sounds.
post #6064 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Hey guys, just got my elite 150FD and BDP95-FD blu-ray player. Does anyone know if I can use the dreak-in dvd with this player ? Should I connect using hdmi or component and what settings on player ? Thanks in advance and thanks to all for the information that you provide on this thread.
post #6065 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

I've had the 110FD for about 4 weeks. For the first time today, when in dot-by-dot mode, I'm getting a green vertical stripe to the far right of the screen right at the edge with HD programming. It appears in dot-by-dot mode even if my verizon STB is turned off.
It doesn't appear in any other mode, such as "full". Otherwise, everything is fine.

I can return the set until the 30th. Suggestions??
post #6066 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 03:59 PM

What's the difference between Mode 1 and Mode 2 in the Orbiter menu? And what's the best one to use? Thanks!

Check out the Pioneer 5010/6010 ONLY settings/issues/discussion Threadhttp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=983491
post #6067 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdtune View Post

Hey guys, just got my elite 150FD and BDP95-FD blu-ray player. Does anyone know if I can use the dreak-in dvd with this player ? Should I connect using hdmi or component and what settings on player ? Thanks in advance and thanks to all for the information that you provide on this thread.

You will love your new toys. I have the same setup as you.
Yes you should be go to go with your 95fd and D-Nice break-in DVD.
I would use a HDMI cable. imo the shorter the better and use a quality HDMI cable like the ones Bluejeans offers. But for now i would think any HDMI cable should be fine.
As for settings imo just use the default settings for your 95fd but check to make sure the 95fd is set to 16:9.
For the 150fd follow and use D-Nice settings. 8 hours off 16 hours on is how long i run the break-in DVD.
Now the hard part starts, will you be able to not run a BD movie until the 150 hours is up.
post #6068 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhey View Post

I've had the 110FD for about 4 weeks. For the first time today, when in dot-by-dot mode, I'm getting a green vertical stripe to the far right of the screen right at the edge with HD programming. It appears in dot-by-dot mode even if my verizon STB is turned off.
It doesn't appear in any other mode, such as "full". Otherwise, everything is fine.

I can return the set until the 30th. Suggestions??

imo i think your 110fd is fine. What you are seeing is a under scan. Just reset the 110fd to fill the screen in DTD mode.
post #6069 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

and how do I reset it to fill the screen in dot to dot mode???

It is a bug with the new Verizon FIOS on-screen guide causing the underscan, apparently.
post #6070 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Does the "full" size setting "distort" HD programming in any way? (1080i)?
post #6071 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Eliab is another excellent calibrator (he can do ISFccc if you want it). He is available at Avical.com

Hi D-Nice. Thanks for all you do:

I thought that the ISFccc did not work on the 110/150fd. By using the ISFccc and Eliab on the (in my case) 150fd would cause more problems than good. But now i see your post on the ISFccc and i would like to get your take on the good or bad by using the ISFccc option.

Thank You.
post #6072 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Thanks alot silly sally for that quick answer. Do you mean I have to run the break-in dvd straight for 150hrs, or can I watch some tv or play a blu-ray movie in between ? Thanks.
post #6073 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhey View Post

and how do I reset it to fill the screen in dot to dot mode???

It is a bug with the new Verizon FIOS on-screen guide causing the underscan, apparently.

Have you tried Auto Size?. I use my Lumagen HDP to set screen size. And i see that H/V position will not work in dot-to-dot mode. But yes imo the Verizon FIOS is the problem.
post #6074 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Thanks alot silly sally for that quick answer. Do you mean I have to run the break-in dvd straight for 150hrs, or can I watch some tv or play a blu-ray movie in between ? Thanks.

You need to be careful about the following:

1. Don't use the break-in settings with anything but the break-in DVD.

2. Be sure you set your TV and/or DVD player to fill the screen.

3. Avoid fixed images no matter what you are watching.

4. Avoid black bars or any kind of fixed bars at the sides or top and bottom of the screen.

If you cover those points, you can watch anything you want. After the first two days I used the reference settings for both viewing and for the break-in DVD.
post #6075 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Hey Ken,

You have fios with the moto box right? I remember D-Nice saying that the moto box affects the colors much differently than other boxes. Just an FYI for those who are using non moto boxes with Kens settings.
post #6076 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi birdtune,

I would not leave your new 150fd run your 150fd 24 hours a day but i have read a post that someone did and has np. Thats up to you, most people watch some tv/movies. imo the important thing to remember is for the first few 100hrs is to run the brank-in DVD for two to three times longer than you play TV/movies for. In my case the 160 hours i now have on my 150fd i have only watched a BD disk for about 20 min.
post #6077 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

But yes imo the Verizon FIOS is the problem.

It's definitely the problem. And it's affecting all kinds of brands.

http://www.somelifeblog.com/2007/11/...cd-screen.html

For now I'm just using Full mode until Verizon gets their act together and fixes this problem.
post #6078 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

Just reduce the High R-Gain in your service menu and see what you think, probably be 95% right for not the $23890423 you'll pay for a pro-cal :P

E-a-g-l-e & Boostfrenzy, I just purchased a 5080 as well and would be very interested in adjusting the R-gain if it will help optimize the picture however after running searches on "5080 service menu" & "5080 R-gain" I basically only saw your thread. Do you know what page this info is on? Hopefully someone posts a general guidline about the service menu and tweaking colors. I actually thought we as in 5080 owners did not have access to RGB settings. I have much to learn! Thankfully this think tank forum is around to help get newbies like me up to speed.

~Life is short...that is why I spent two grand on a kick butt TV!!
post #6079 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

page 2 post #58 will get you into the service menu.

just be warned you can screw up your display in there and void your warranty so be careful.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #6080 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 PM

Thanks htwaits, I appreciate your advice. I'm off to the theater room. And so it begins.
post #6081 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Hi all, I bought a 6010 about a week ago and since then I've been running the break-in DVD with the break-in settings, trying to get up past that 100 hour mark. Today, to my great disappointment, I noticed a stuck pixel -- a bright red little bugger about 3/4 of the way down the screen in the middle. I've read some suggestions on here about playing Pixar movies to fix this bugger, but I'm wondering if anybody has tried using the pattern here: http://www.jscreenfix.com/

I really don't want to have to exchange this set, but I guess I will. I can see this pixel from my viewing position about eight feet away, but more than that just knowing that it's there bugs the hell out of me. I bought my set at Magnolia, seems like they'd be responsive to this sort of thing. Has anybody had luck with them exchanging a set for a single stuck pixel?

Xbox and PS3 name: WriterGamer
post #6082 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

page 2 post #58 will get you into the service menu.

just be warned you can screw up your display in there and void your warranty so be careful.

To enter service menu:

while display is off, press display and wait 5 seconds, then press left/up/left/right (lol anyone remember contra?!), then power the display on

when it shows some diagnostic info, press the mute button and then the down arrow until panel 2adj+ is displayed, press enter

these are your gains, use the up/down arrow keys to cycle through the values and left/right to change them WRITE DOWN YOUR FACTORY SETTINGS FIRST!

I adjusted mine as:

R-high: 228
G-high: 256
B-high: 241
R-low: 512
G-low: 512
B-low: 512

While in service mode, it will be in the "mid" color temp regardless, adjusting these gain values affect *ALL* color temps, no need to do it for all, apparently the color temp adjustment in the user mode manipulates these in steps

press enter and home menu when you're done to return to normal, currently watching transformers on HD-DVD Toshy A2 @ 1080i HDMI with the following user mode settings:

mode: user
========
contrast: 31
brightness: -1
color: -2
sharpness: +1
tint: R2

pure cinema
=========
film mode: standard
text optimization: off

Picture detail
==========
dre picture: high
black level: off
ACL: off
enchancer mode: 2
gamma: 1

color detail
========
color temp: mid
cti: off

noise ruduction both low

my 360 over component and dct6412 comcast dvi over hdmi are very similar, but with less color usually

still though, changing the gain calibration only further improved mid color temp, low is still too pink imo, skin tones and whites look PERFECT to me and my friends with the settings above

only issue now is like with this movie for instance, there's some grain/video noise in it, it's probably the source but i don't own many hd-dvd's and it's just a cheapy HD-A2 anyway... IMO a lot of comcast HD content rivals or beats this.

I don't know why everyone's so freaked out, there's less settings in here than a samsung, if you write your settings down first and use a little common sense you won't hurt anything.

Also, you can check your panel hours by entering service mode but then pressing down arrow until you see panel time.
post #6083 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentho View Post

Hi all, I bought a 6010 about a week ago and since then I've been running the break-in DVD with the break-in settings, trying to get up past that 100 hour mark. Today, to my great disappointment, I noticed a stuck pixel -- a bright red little bugger about 3/4 of the way down the screen in the middle. I've read some suggestions on here about playing Pixar movies to fix this bugger, but I'm wondering if anybody has tried using the pattern here: http://www.jscreenfix.com/

I really don't want to have to exchange this set, but I guess I will. I can see this pixel from my viewing position about eight feet away, but more than that just knowing that it's there bugs the hell out of me. I bought my set at Magnolia, seems like they'd be responsive to this sort of thing. Has anybody had luck with them exchanging a set for a single stuck pixel?

if you bought it there you should have 30 day return period.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #6084 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentho View Post

It's worked or me! I also have a 6010, and it has an intermittent stuck pixel (a 2x2 cluster that is bright aqua, and flashes on/off depending on the background image). The first two times I saw this, I played The Incredibles DVD for a few hours and the problem pixels seemed to "heal". After a couple weeks of "perfect picture", the "aqua cluster" suddenly reappeared. As a test, I downloaded the DVD image (available under Screen Fixing Videos on the JScreenFix website) and played the file (zoomed to fullscreen) from my Mac laptop. After about 15 minutes - the pixels were "unstuck"! It's now been about two weeks since that last occurrence, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's certainly worth trying either this JScreenFix utility or the animated DVDs.!

BTW - there's a whole thread devoted to JScreenFix:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=966195
post #6085 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee View Post

It's worked or me! I also have a 6010, and it has an intermittent stuck pixel (a 2x2 cluster that is bright aqua, and flashes on/off depending on the background image). The first two times I saw this, I played The Incredibles DVD for a few hours and the problem pixels seemed to "heal". After a couple weeks of "perfect picture", the "aqua cluster" suddenly reappeared. As a test, I downloaded the DVD image (available under Screen Fixing Videos on the JScreenFix website) and played the file (zoomed to fullscreen) from my Mac laptop. After about 15 minutes - the pixels were "unstuck"! It's now been about two weeks since that last occurrence, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's certainly worth trying either this JScreenFix utility or the animated DVDs.!

I have one stuck pixel, cyan on white... ran jscreenfix for like an hour didn't do anything *shrug* might run it tonight overnight
post #6086 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

only issue now is like with this movie for instance, there's some grain/video noise in it, it's probably the source but i don't own many hd-dvd's and it's just a cheapy HD-A2 anyway... IMO a lot of comcast HD content rivals or beats this.

lol... you sure about that (comcast hd content "rivalling or beating" hd-dvd)?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6087 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee View Post

awesome. that's good to hear. I'll give it a go when I get home. I'm pretty sure this pixel wasn't stuck when I got the set -- I spent a lot of time with my nose right next to the screen, and I didn't notice anything. Supposedly, if it was unstuck at one point, it could be unstuck again.. right? right?!

I don't know why it bothers me so much -- there are millions of other pixels that are working fine.

Xbox and PS3 name: WriterGamer
post #6088 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
ok so this is known to be one of the best hdtv, cnet however stated while it may have the best blacks it not great on color accurcy? in which i belive i feel tihs belongs to this thread, is color accurcy an issue ? reason why is because i have a panasonic 42'' TH-42PX75u 720p plasma set. my purpose for the pioneer upgrade is for quality but im holding back by comparing both sets if color accurcy is worser then my panny then its no good as that defeats the purpose of my needs, i like torch mode altho sometimes i may chage to a more realistic tone, i just want to know if theirs a huge diffrence in between both pannels to justify the cash diffrence in paying .... bb has it on sale on the 5080 and theirs a coupon flying around the net for 12% off
which makes it cost less then the 42'' edition so im tempting to get this set to replace my panasonic th-42px75u for PQ purposes please d nice or anyone else any comments?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #6089 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Jeff,
I would like to know if you have calibrated any 5080's where PWM noise was visible?

All plasma's have some level of PWM noise. If you don't want it don't buy one.
post #6090 of 12876 Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Plasma is my only choice. DLP rptv was o.k. to start out with getting into HD, but since getting into plasmas there is no way I'll go elsewhere.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6010fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page