The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 248 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7411 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
clau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 2,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybolt View Post

I'm going to swap out the HR21 for an HR 20 (I have both) and see what happens. I'm still w/in my 30 day return time frame but I hate to take a chance on a new 5080 because this one has no buzz.

I guess my Sunday afternoon in sunny, SoCal will be spent inside.... troubleshooting! #@*!

Thnaks to all for providing potential remedies.

Have you tried using the components output from the D*TV box? At least that will tell you how quickly the box changes resolution (from SD to HD, e.g.).

CLau
clau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7412 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 PM
RBO
Advanced Member
 
RBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

Why would Planet Earth be bad to break in the tv with the break in settings? Isn't an image on the screen, just an image regardless? What makes the break in dvd so different, in other words what is it consist of?

You can use whatever settings and source material you like. What the difference is, the break-in dvd provides a series of full screen still captures of the rgb colors and grey scale which allow for all pixels to burn at the same intensity and the same color for a patterned number of minutes at a time. Doing this for 150 hours will break-in all of the pixels on your screen evenly to a point at which none are less utilized than any other and the point at which each pixel becomes minimally vulnerable to image retention from less nor more use than any other pixel. Using another source material simply does not provide the same guaranteed uniformity.

Russ (another one)
My DVD Collection


"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
RBO is offline  
post #7413 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,821
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post

Using another source material simply does not provide the same guaranteed uniformity.

... and using the high intensity break-in settings with TV and movie sources might result in bad uniformity or image retention.
htwaits is offline  
post #7414 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 12:24 PM
RBO
Advanced Member
 
RBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
roger that ^^

Russ (another one)
My DVD Collection


"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
RBO is offline  
post #7415 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
cybolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

Why would Planet Earth be bad to break in the tv with the break in settings? Isn't an image on the screen, just an image regardless? What makes the break in dvd so different, in other words what is it consist of?

"Ours is not to reason why...."

I can't remember whether or not you've even bought the tv but without getting into the whole technical rationale, here's the deal:

Some smart people with loads of experience determined that optimum pq with these panels is achieved if they're broken in with a certain disc. (My limited exposure to plasma in general tells me that all panels like to have a certain amount of break-in time.) Of course they'll work without it and others might argue it's unnecessary; you're trying to achieve "optimum" pq and in this case, the break-in disc is supposed to help. This doesn't mean you can't watch anything else on the tv, it just means that playing the disc with the recommended settings is supposed to help achieve better pq in the long run....

The disc is roughly 45 minutes long and consists of some 80+ chapters of progressive, gradient color changes. Look at it one minute and it's gray/blue. Come back 10 minutes later and it's almost fuscia.

I burned the disc and played it during the day while I was at work. Did I put in 150-200 hours. No. But I did go about 80-90. If you're a (semi) newb like me, sometimes it's just best to follow the lead of those who have gone before you, clearing and paving the path!
cybolt is offline  
post #7416 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
robertw11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybolt View Post

"Ours is not to reason why...."

I can't remember whether or not you've even bought the tv but without getting into the whole technical rationale, here's the deal:

Some smart people with loads of experience determined that optimum pq with these panels is achieved if they're broken in with a certain disc. (My limited exposure to plasma in general tells me that all panels like to have a certain amount of break-in time.) Of course they'll work without it and others might argue it's unnecessary; you're trying to achieve "optimum" pq and in this case, the break-in disc is supposed to help. This doesn't mean you can't watch anything else on the tv, it just means that playing the disc with the recommended settings is supposed to help achieve better pq in the long run....

The disc is roughly 45 minutes long and consists of some 80+ chapters of progressive, gradient color changes. Look at it one minute and it's gray/blue. Come back 10 minutes later and it's almost fuscia.

I burned the disc and played it during the day while I was at work. Did I put in 150-200 hours. No. But I did go about 80-90. If you're a (semi) newb like me, sometimes it's just best to follow the lead of those who have gone before you, clearing and paving the path!

I'm going today to see what it looks like, then I will make my final decision. I want to know what I am getting into before I commit, the more I know the better I will feel once I get it. I have only owned LCD's, so plasma is a whole new ball game for me. I had a tv that I couldn't rid of red push and I just got fed up with it and got rid of it. I don't want to deal with that bs again. lol

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
robertw11 is offline  
post #7417 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Member
 
Nissan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cali
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys It tried a search and couldn't find anything, so can I get some help please?
I just got my xbox360 back for the seconf time. Anyway, it has never been connected to my 5010 before. So, no matter which input i use i can't get any sound. i get picture, but no sound. so, i can't figure it out. I would appreciate any help. thanks in advance.

Nissan 1

Nissan1
Nissan1 is offline  
post #7418 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Member
 
gatornavy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a PRO 950 and I cannot figure how to get home media gallery to work. I went out and bought a network card so that I could use it to connect to my tv and have the internet run through my motherboard NIC. No such luck. I can only get one or the other to work. Is there a way to get them both working together. I've tried bridging the network cards, but I got absolutely nothing. I'm running Vista Home Premium. Can someone PLEASE help me?
gatornavy25 is offline  
post #7419 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Are you saying your handshake behavior is similar to what s2mikey is seeing or what Cybolt is seeing in post 7384?

See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13130500

Cybolt's description doesn't seem normal to me. My H20 behaves similarly to s2mikey's description. The question is whether what Cybolt is seeing is peculiar to the HR21 or possibly indicates a problem with either the 5080 or HR21.

Yes, it is exactly the same as cybolt's. It seems to be a product of the HR21.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybolt View Post

I'm going to swap out the HR21 for an HR 20 (I have both) and see what happens. I'm still w/in my 30 day return time frame but I hate to take a chance on a new 5080 because this one has no buzz.

I guess my Sunday afternoon in sunny, SoCal will be spent inside.... troubleshooting! #@*!

Thnaks to all for providing potential remedies.

Okay, but there's nothing wrong with the box. I've gone through 3 of them already and they all did it. It's just a product of the unit.

HR20's are practically the same thing, so if you want to swap it go ahead.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #7420 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jmmesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Desert SW
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatornavy25 View Post

Just got a PRO 950 and I cannot figure how to get home media gallery to work. I went out and bought a network card so that I could use it to connect to my tv and have the internet run through my motherboard NIC. No such luck. I can only get one or the other to work. Is there a way to get them both working together. I've tried bridging the network cards, but I got absolutely nothing. I'm running Vista Home Premium. Can someone PLEASE help me?

Don't know much about the 950, but I have the 150FD successfully working with Home Media Gallery. All that is needed is 1) that the PC and the TV are in the same network, or with no network, the TV is connected to the PC's ethernet port AND 2) the PC is running Windows Media 11.

Oh, the PC files to show must be set up for sharing. That's it.

My favorite toy
jmmesch is offline  
post #7421 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
guvadc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Thanks for everyones help in regards to my decision to purchase the 5080.

I'm sure this has been covered before , but I'm now on the topic of break in. I have downloaded the SVCD version of break in disc. I this something I should run continously for hours on end? Would you suggest turning this on at bedtime and let it run all night? I had an easier time with the SVCD version than the DVD-R version , do you think there is a differance between the 2? I just want to make sure that I'm getting the best out of it.

Thanks again for everyones help.
guvadc is offline  
post #7422 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
highheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybolt View Post

I'm going to swap out the HR21 for an HR 20 (I have both) and see what happens. I'm still w/in my 30 day return time frame but I hate to take a chance on a new 5080 because this one has no buzz.

I guess my Sunday afternoon in sunny, SoCal will be spent inside.... troubleshooting! #@*!

Thnaks to all for providing potential remedies.

I have this exect same problem with a 150 and HR 21. I've already mentioned the double-blink with the banner squishing and HDMI input info in the upper right hand corner in the interim frame. Occasionally the hang will be even worse with the green lines as shown in your picture covering 1/4 to 2/3 of the screen. The problem seems to occur more often when going from a SD to HD or vice versa.

The HR 21 has a blue ring that seems to indictate with a clockwise lighting patern when the signal is being passed. Interestingly, the first blink on the Pio occurs BEFORE the anything happens on the blue ring on the HR 21. On the second blink the HR 21 ring indicates the signal is being passed.

Sorry if this description seems a little crude.

To me, it seems the Pio is trying to resize the frame (with the old banner) before the signal of the new channel is being passed by the Direct TV reciever. The ugly green frame of your picture gets substituted until the new frame is recieved.

Any other ideas from Direct TV HR 21 / 20 owners?
highheater is offline  
post #7423 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yngdiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

I have this exect same problem with a 150 and HR 21. I've already mentioned the double-blink with the banner squishing and HDMI input info in the upper right hand corner in the interim frame. Occasionally the hang will be even worse with the green lines as shown in your picture covering 1/4 to 2/3 of the screen. The problem seems to occur more often when going from a SD to HD or vice versa.

The HR 21 has a blue ring that seems to indictate with a clockwise lighting patern when the signal is being passed. Interestingly, the first blink on the Pio occurs BEFORE the anything happens on the blue ring on the HR 21. On the second blink the HR 21 ring indicates the signal is being passed.

Sorry if this description seems a little crude.

To me, it seems the Pio is trying to resize the frame (with the old banner) before the signal of the new channel is being passed by the Direct TV reciever. The ugly green frame of your picture gets substituted until the new frame is recieved.

Any other ideas from Direct TV HR 21 / 20 owners?

I have an HR20 with an Onkyo 905 and 1150HD, and don't have any weird display issues. I never see green lines, snow, or image distortion. The only "problem" I see is the Kuro flipping between HD mode and stretch on SD material. But it flips within a couple of seconds and I don't see any weird artifacts. So to me, my HR20 is acting how it should and no complaints.
yngdiego is offline  
post #7424 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
highheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Yes

You can select 1080i and everything will be sent to your display at 1080i....reardless of the orginal native resolution.

Yes, yes and you will be using the inferior scaler in your sat box for are conversions before it is downrezed by your panel.

Just so I am clear - are you saying there is no way to avoid this type of behavior (green screen) AND still have the Pio do the processing? Kudos to cybolt on the screen capture of the problem.

I have to let the HR 21 do the processing in order to avoid this 'normal' handshake?

This NEVER occurs when switching between OTA stations. To me that is the standard for normal handshaking.

Again it seems the 150 is trying to resize the old banner BEFORE recieving the new channel signal. I guess if others have seen this with recievers other than the HR 21 I might believe it is normal. Anyone else have this problem with a cable box, Dish reciever, or non-HR21 Direct TV reciever? Any advice when discussing this problem with Direct TV or Pio. Somehow I see both pointing the finger at the other.

Makes a very expensive TV look cheap (Whats wrong with your TV?)
highheater is offline  
post #7425 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
highheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

I have an HR20 with an Onkyo 905 and 1150HD, and don't have any weird display issues. I never see green lines, snow, or image distortion. The only "problem" I see is the Kuro flipping between HD mode and stretch on SD material. But it flips within a couple of seconds and I don't see any weird artifacts. So to me, my HR20 is acting how it should and no complaints.

Is your HR 20 set to native to pass the signal? Is your Onkyo doing the signal processing?
highheater is offline  
post #7426 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I have this compulsion to point out that the break-in settings should never be used with anything but the break-in DVD.

Correct....and I should have probably pointed that out when I replied to the guy.
s2mikey is offline  
post #7427 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Member
 
glen12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried to search for commentary on this, so if existing posts are out there I apologize... I did see the threads on the other cable boxes and this issue, but wanted to see if anyone had specific advice for the TIVO. I fear the issue may be the same.

I recently got a Tivo HD because I couldn't stand the Time Warner DVR. The tivo works great, but I am having trouble determining the best output format for the TIVO and the best aspect ratio setting.

I have tried to use "native" on the Tivo. However, when I do this, the TIVO menu system is output in 720p, high def channels in 1080i, standard def in 480i. When I switch from a high def channel to the Tivo menu, the TV goes though a seizure reseting to the other resolution. It literally takes about 5 seconds for the picture to be restored and it isn't just blank screen is it flashing images, etc. This also happens if I switch from a SD to a high-def channel. When I had the cable box, it output 480i and 1080i and the switch didn't seem so bad. I don't have the box anymore to try it again.

My other choice is to do set the output to 1080i fixed. This way the TIVO is always putting out 1080i so I don't get any resyncing. The menu looks worse, but the SD channels look about the same to my eye.

Does anyone know how the TIVO does on this up-conversion?

The aspect ration setting also has this "Smart Screen" setting that is supposed to do 4:3 for SD and 16:9 on HD, but this also seems to cause havok on the TV when switching.

Any other ideas how to minimize this resync time and visual effects?

For now I am running in 1080i fixed.

Finally, anyone have any other settings/tuning for use with the TIVO? I am going to have my set up calibrated in about 2-3 weeks, but until then I have been using the settings on page 1 and it looks pretty nice.

Thanks in advance.
glen12 is offline  
post #7428 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Member
 
meyerovb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To all you seasoned pros out there, I'm seeing questions from multiple newbies (including myself) about if we should run the break in dvd non stop for 150 hours, or if we should give the set a rest for a while in between runs. Perhaps if you can all come to a consensus on this, then the post on the first page could be modified to give that advice, and all us newbies would stop pestering you about that.

Thanks!
meyerovb is offline  
post #7429 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Member
 
gdubs97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to this forum and TV is less than a month old. I have the 5080 Pioneer Kuro. I just switched to a HDMI connection. The horizontal flashy white line at the top of my screen is there (only some times) on high def channels...and seems to happen more during commercials...anyways..it was there when I had it connected via component as well as the HDMI. I called Pioneer and they said it was my cable company and how they broadcast..blabla. I never had this issue with any other tv's. I did not use a burn in dvd and have mainly been watching HD channels and in full screen mode. Any recommendations? Thanks
gdubs97 is offline  
post #7430 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 07:22 PM
 
Cronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdubs97 View Post

I'm new to this forum and TV is less than a month old. I have the 5080 Pioneer Kuro. I just switched to a HDMI connection. The horizontal flashy white line at the top of my screen is there (only some times) on high def channels...and seems to happen more during commercials...anyways..it was there when I had it connected via component as well as the HDMI. I called Pioneer and they said it was my cable company and how they broadcast..blabla. I never had this issue with any other tv's. I did not use a burn in dvd and have mainly been watching HD channels and in full screen mode. Any recommendations? Thanks

Unfortunately, that is one of the many quirks of HD broadcasts. It's normal and I even see on my old crt. Some here have reported that it's channel info or something to that affect. Solution: move the screen up a few clicks in the Option: Position menu. I have mine turned up to the max of +10. That eliminated 90% of the problem but I still see it every now and then. Welcome to the wacky world of HD broadcasts.
Cronin is offline  
post #7431 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Member
 
gdubs97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cronin,
Thanks. Now that's what I can really appreciate..a simple answer that seems to have fixed my problem. Everything on here seems so foreign. Here's another question...one channel in particular gives me the same white blinking line..about .5 inches wide..same location every time...whats up with taht? Also, now that I switched to a HDMI cable..I notice when I change the channel..I initially get fuzz for about a second or two..thanks again
gdubs97 is offline  
post #7432 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Member
 
Finner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdubs97 View Post

Cronin,
Thanks. Now that's what I can really appreciate..a simple answer that seems to have fixed my problem. Everything on here seems so foreign. Here's another question...one channel in particular gives me the same white blinking line..about .5 inches wide..same location every time...whats up with taht? Also, now that I switched to a HDMI cable..I notice when I change the channel..I initially get fuzz for about a second or two..thanks again

dubs,
The little line at the top is common. I get it on a couple channels. As stated by someone else, move the screen up a couple more clicks to avoid it. I noticed that I usually get it on the stations that are 720p HD such as Fox.
About the 2 second delay when switching channels, it happens when the channel you are changing to is a different resolution...such as going from a 1080i to 720 or standard definition 480. It's normal. If home during the day and wanting HD and wanting to switch to CNBC or something that is Standard Definition, to avoid the delay, I used a splitter. One cable split goes to cable box and hdmi to tv. The other cable goes direct to Antenna A. So if I want to change to a SD channel I just hit the antenna A on the remote and the switch is almost instand..compared to the 2 second "handshake" that has to occur when switching channel and resolution on the same input.
Finner is offline  
post #7433 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 08:23 PM
 
Cronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post

dubs,
The little line at the top is common. I get it on a couple channels. As stated by someone else, move the screen up a couple more clicks to avoid it. I noticed that I usually get it on the stations that are 720p HD such as Fox.
About the 2 second delay when switching channels, it happens when the channel you are changing to is a different resolution...such as going from a 1080i to 720 or standard definition 480. It's normal. If home during the day and wanting HD and wanting to switch to CNBC or something that is Standard Definition, to avoid the delay, I used a splitter. One cable split goes to cable box and hdmi to tv. The other cable goes direct to Antenna A. So if I want to change to a SD channel I just hit the antenna A on the remote and the switch is almost instand..compared to the 2 second "handshake" that has to occur when switching channel and resolution on the same input.

Yep, that's it. Like I said before, welcome to the wacky world of HD broadcasts. They are FULL of quirks.
Cronin is offline  
post #7434 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrTAPOUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone here getting HD channels without a cable box? Im not able to for some reason, what settings do I use under tuner? im really frustrated with this, any help would be appreciated.
mrTAPOUT is offline  
post #7435 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Member
 
Finner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tapout,
I get HD channels on Antenna A, using cable, no cable box. I have a cable box but as i was explaining to someone else, I have my cable split. Anyway, I went thru the Tuner setup, letting the TV find all the channels and I get the broadcast HD channels in both Standard Definition and HD. For example, SD is Channel 02. In HD it's 2.001
Finner is offline  
post #7436 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Newbie
 
thedonga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 4280 and I was able to enter D-Nice's settings under the user picture settings when my HDMI source is off. When it's on I can't access things like color, tint, etc...just RGB controls, brightness, contrast, etc.

When I turn my HDMI source back on it switches to a new "user" setting and the settings now mirror the "standard" settings?

How do I set the color tint for HDMI-4 and retain those settings once I turn the HDMI source on?

did that make sense to anyone?
thanks
thedonga is offline  
post #7437 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Member
 
liquidsense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Please excuse my ignorance. I have been trying to search here and elsewhere, but am having trouble finding the answer.

When one has their set ISF calibrated (e.g., on a 5080), what actual changes does the calibrator make? I have a general overview of what they are trying to achieve, but what exactly do they do to the TV?

IF they do not access the service menu, are they simply changing the very small handful of options that are in the picture options?

Or are they changing the picture options AND accessing the service menu and making changes there?

Is there anything else that they do that I have missed?
liquidsense is offline  
post #7438 of 12879 Old 02-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrTAPOUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post

Tapout,
I get HD channels on Antenna A, using cable, no cable box. I have a cable box but as i was explaining to someone else, I have my cable split. Anyway, I went thru the Tuner setup, letting the TV find all the channels and I get the broadcast HD channels in both Standard Definition and HD. For example, SD is Channel 02. In HD it's 2.001

Dude, thank you so much. When I initially tried to use ant A, I got no signal. When I tried it again tonight after you told me, I still got no signal on any channel. Then all of a sudden I happened to look in the back of the TV and found that there are two areas you could plug your coaxial cable in, into (A) or (B). It was in B at the time, so I switched it and now Whalaa! I get HD channels without a cable box! Thanks!
mrTAPOUT is offline  
post #7439 of 12879 Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cpcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vidalia, GA
Posts: 6,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonga View Post

I have a 4280 and I was able to enter D-Nice's settings under the user picture settings when my HDMI source is off. When it's on I can't access things like color, tint, etc...just RGB controls, brightness, contrast, etc.

When I turn my HDMI source back on it switches to a new "user" setting and the settings now mirror the "standard" settings?

How do I set the color tint for HDMI-4 and retain those settings once I turn the HDMI source on?

did that make sense to anyone?
thanks

Sounds like you are in HDMI PC mode. Switch to HDMI Video mode in the options menu. If you are feeding a PC resolution to the set it will default to HDMI PC mode FYI.
cpcat is offline  
post #7440 of 12879 Old 02-18-2008, 05:28 AM
Newbie
 
thedonga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have it set to Video, but let me check the source (tvix M-6500HD) and see if it is pushing out a PC resolution. thanks

edit: that fixed it, thank you.
thedonga is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6010fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pro110 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off