post #8701 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost407 View Post

Oh got it thanks!!! I don't know if I have the patience that you had though to sit that long without actually using the set... did you also watch movies, or ONLY run the break-in DVD for that long using the reference settings?

We watched everything that we wanted too from day one. I was joking.

For the first 150 hours, we avoided black bars or any channels with fixed images. After 100 - 150 hours we watched movies with black bars, but tried to follow them with full screen material or the break-in DVD. We avoided channels like the "History Channel" during that time because their logo is very bright. We watched a lot of HD public TV, HD NFL football, and HD "Discovery Channel" after we reached 100-150 hours.

The football games have fixed images that are in the same location for much of the game. After the NFL games on Sunday, I would watch a lot of HD Discovery Channel, or run the break-in DVD. When we reached 500 hours I stopped using the break-in DVD, but I still don't like the History Channel logo. It has to be one of the worst in HD.

Some people just stay tuned to HD Discovery Channel when they aren't watching the TV. It has very few logos, and they are never on for very long. It's also on 24 hours a day in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This friday I should take delivery of my new 150FD --

Thanks to John at Axxis -- I'm joining the Kuro Klub...

Can someone give me direct links to the D-Nice Reference settings for this set and the link to download the break-in disc.....

thanks
Steve
post #8703 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

D-Nice settings are 90% (IMHO) close to a real ISF cal, so don't sweat it, wait until you can book someone other than BB. The incremental improvement you see may not even be worth it, depending how picky you are. If I had to do it over again, I'd just stick with D-nice settings and spend the $350 on another A/V component, since the improvement was visible but minor.

Yeah, I'll definitely be spending more time testing out D-Nice's settings. Where would I find his SM RGB offset tweaks?
post #8704 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 03:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetoney View Post

This friday I should take delivery of my new 150FD --

Thanks to John at Axxis -- I'm joining the Kuro Klub...

Can someone give me direct links to the D-Nice Reference settings for this set and the link to download the break-in disc.....

thanks
Steve

Congrats. First page of this thread.
post #8705 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Oh got it thanks!!! I don't know if I have the patience that you had though to sit that long without actually using the set... did you also watch movies, or ONLY run the break-in DVD for that long using the reference settings?

I ran the D-Nice break-in DVD for 7 days, 24 hrs. a day on my 6010, ONLY. I had my comp set-up next to it with a 20" flat panel monitor I used as a tv also. I'm glad I did it this way. No complaints. No probs. Ray.
post #8706 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Roman, I'm getting used to watching all programming on my 6010. No complaints at PQ. Maybe,if I had the room, another 2-3 ft seating distance would be my desire. Thanks again for this really nice plasma. Ray.
post #8707 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentwist View Post

Roman, I'm getting used to watching all programming on my 6010. No complaints at PQ. Maybe,if I had the room, another 2-3 ft seating distance would be my desire. Thanks again for this really nice plasma. Ray.

I am glad to see
post #8708 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

We watched everything that we wanted too from day one. I was joking.

For the first 150 hours, we avoided black bars or any channels with fixed images. After 100 - 150 hours we watched movies with black bars, but tried to follow them with full screen material or the break-in DVD. We avoided channels like the "History Channel" during that time because their logo is very bright. We watched a lot of HD public TV, HD NFL football, and HD "Discovery Channel" after we reached 100-150 hours.

The football games have fixed images that are in the same location for much of the game. After the NFL games on Sunday, I would watch a lot of HD Discovery Channel, or run the break-in DVD. When we reached 500 hours I stopped using the break-in DVD, but I still don't like the History Channel logo. It has to be one of the worst in HD.

Some people just stay tuned to HD Discovery Channel when they aren't watching the TV. It has very few logos, and they are never on for very long. It's also on 24 hours a day in my area.

AHAHA You fooled me!!! Silly me It's funny because I think I am getting the "soon to be the owner of a newborn plasma baby syndrome" i.e. paranoid about screwing this bad boy up... From what I can tell though, as long as you are careful, you will be ok, at least that's what I'm getting from a lot of research and all of the help from you guys. BTW you guys are awesome, thanks for all the help!!! This has helped my peace of mind quite a bit. htwaits Thanks for the tips, I will definitely use this advise during the break in period for my TV!! NO BLACK SIDEBARS!!! Looking foward to actually becoming part of the family!! Oh and I'm assuming it's safe to watch Blu Ray Videos soon after install? And waits, would you stay away from video games for a while? Thanks again!!!
post #8709 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

AHAHA You fooled me!!! Silly me It's funny because I think I am getting the "soon to be the owner of a newborn plasma baby syndrome" i.e. paranoid about screwing this bad boy up... From what I can tell though, as long as you are careful, you will be ok, at least that's what I'm getting from a lot of research and all of the help from you guys. BTW you guys are awesome, thanks for all the help!!! This has helped my peace of mind quite a bit. htwaits Thanks for the tips, I will definitely use this advise during the break in period for my TV!! NO BLACK SIDEBARS!!! Looking foward to actually becoming part of the family!! Oh and I'm assuming it's safe to watch Blu Ray Videos soon after install? And waits, would you stay away from video games for a while? Thanks again!!!

Dont worry, Ghost. You can watch a blu-ray movie with bars the very day you get it..... just run the TV with full-screen programming for a few minutes afterwards and you wil be golden. This is the key.... watching full screen content after any bars or gaming. Ive done this with three plasmas now and have never had any kind of problem whatsoever and neither will you.
post #8710 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

d-nice?

I don't know how a non-Elite looks with only the RGB highs modified. I have always adjusted all RGB settings with no ill effects.
post #8711 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I don't know how a non-Elite looks with only the RGB highs modified. I have always adjusted all RGB settings with no ill effects.

I was able to make the MID color temp look pretty good doing just HIGH edits on my 5080. I took B-HIGH down the most and also took a few clicks off of R-HIGH. I didnt touch G-HIGH.

Just my novice 2 cents.....
post #8712 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

no i'm asking if someone were to ONLY modify the RGB highs on say a 5080 but leave the lows @ 512, how would this compare to adjusting both on the same set? I.E. how much impact do changing the lows have?

I'm not even going to try it, looking at my 5080 with the rgb highs & lows you've specified along with personally favored user menu settings deliver an image comparible to trying to like your friend's chevy malibu when you're driving a m3

basically i push plasma on everyone i know, they end up buying a plasma of some sort and it's my job to make it look right... and i simply can't get close because they won't spend pioneer money
post #8713 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I have started a thread specifically for ControlCAL's Pioneer ISF C3 Display Profile for 8G's which currently is in Beta Testing with a few Members here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1011896

Part/Page 2 of 2

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #8714 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 PM

I just had a heart stopping moment... I thought my 5010 just died on me!

I was just playing an Xbox 360 that I had just repaired on it to test out the repair. Momentarily, the screen blinked, and all the colors were garbled. After a moment it blinked again and went back to normal. About 10 seconds later it happened again, and the screen stayed garbled longer, then the screen went black (but the backlight was still on). I thought it was just the Xbox 360 going out on me, and I didn't do a good enough repair, but then I tried plugging in a different 360 using the same cables, and I still wasn't getting any picture. Then I thought it was just the cables, so I tried switching to another source, but when I tried switching inputs on the TV, it wouldn't switch (even after powering off the TV), so I think it was the TV actually crapping out on me.

I just unplugged the tv for about 10 mins, plugged it back in, and thankfully it fired up and functions as normal.

For a few moments, I was very thankful I got the 2 year store warranty!!!!
post #8715 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Oh and I'm assuming it's safe to watch Blu Ray Videos soon after install?

Yes, BUT ...

You can watch movies that have an aspect ratio of 1.77:1 or 1.85:1 which will fill your screen. The wider movies with aspect ratios like 2.35:1 would have black bars top and bottom. You shouldn't watch them for the first 100-150 hours. Then you should watch something that fills the screen. Of course you can run the break-in DVD during that period.

The old movies, like Casablanca (HD-DVD), have aspect ratios around 1.33:1 so they have side bars. You don't want to watch them during the first 100-150 hours either.

Keep in mind, at least for me, these hour boundries are mostly guess work.

Quote:

And waits, would you stay away from video games for a while?

I'm not a gamer, but I would stay away from them as long as you can stand it. Other's may have more helpful advice.
post #8716 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 PM

I just had my Pioneer 150FD calibrated (Los Angeles, CA) by Jeff Meir (AKA UMR) on Monday. I found him to be a great person to come and calibrate my system. He is extremely knowledgable about audio visual equipment and when it comes to calibrating the hometheater (HT) system, very methodical and systematic in his approach. He also takes the time to explain what he is doing as he is calibrating the system and answer any questions you may have.

WOW! what a difference. I was under the impression that it was going to be difficult to improve upon the picture quality already produced by Pioneer 150FD. Boy was I wrong. The colors and detail now produced by the panel are exceptional. Sources include OTA HD Network stations, Direct TV HR21 HD DVR, Play Station 3 (PS3), Toshiba HD-A35. The AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V1800) was found to be a weak link in the system. The Yamaha was found to clip the video signal from 0-255 to 16-235, an issue already being discussed in this forum.

He also worked on the audio system. Yamaha RX-V1800, PSB front T65s, center C60, rear B25s, subwoofer Subsonic 6i. I was floored by the end results. The sound produced when playing back CD's was spectacular. The highs and lows were tight. The instruments being played in classical music were full and rich. I was also able to differentiate the different instruments being played in the music.

As a final note, Jeff played "The House of Flying Daggers, Chapter 3" Blue Ray disc through the PS3. The color and audio were spectacular.

Jeff, Thanks for a fine and thorough job fine tuning my home theater system.
post #8717 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izap2 View Post

I just had my Pioneer 150FD calibrated (Los Angeles, CA) by Jeff Meir (AKA UMR) on Monday.

Thanks for your report. I've included it in the owner's list of professional calibration reports. The flat panel link at the bottom of my post will take those that are interested to other owner's reports about their flat panel calibrations. There is also a link down there to reports by owners of other types of displays.

Enjoy.
post #8718 of 12879 Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

...Jeff, Thanks for a fine and thorough job fine tuning my home theater system.

Thank you for the kind words. It is a shame so many dismiss what they could have out of ignorance or a less than stellar experience by others.
post #8719 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Thank you for the kind words. It is a shame so many dismiss what they could have out of ignorance or a less than stellar experience by others.

So, when are you coming to North Texas?

Alan
post #8720 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 AM

Ok last silly question I promise!!! IF I am not going to use the "break-in" settings immediately with the break in DVD, then should I put the "reference settings" on right out of the box? Still paranoide i guess
post #8721 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I just had my Pioneer 150FD calibrated (Los Angeles, CA) by Jeff Meir (AKA UMR) on Monday. I found him to be a great person to come and calibrate my system. He is extremely knowledgable about audio visual equipment and when it comes to calibrating the hometheater (HT) system, very methodical and systematic in his approach. He also takes the time to explain what he is doing as he is calibrating the system and answer any questions you may have.

WOW! what a difference. I was under the impression that it was going to be difficult to improve upon the picture quality already produced by Pioneer 150FD. Boy was I wrong. The colors and detail now produced by the panel are exceptional. Sources include OTA HD Network stations, Direct TV HR21 HD DVR, Play Station 3 (PS3), Toshiba HD-A35. The AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V1800) was found to be a weak link in the system. The Yamaha was found to clip the video signal from 0-255 to 16-235, an issue already being discussed in this forum.

He also worked on the audio system. Yamaha RX-V1800, PSB front T65s, center C60, rear B25s, subwoofer Subsonic 6i. I was floored by the end results. The sound produced when playing back CD's was spectacular. The highs and lows were tight. The instruments being played in classical music were full and rich. I was also able to differentiate the different instruments being played in the music.

As a final note, Jeff played "The House of Flying Daggers, Chapter 3" Blue Ray disc through the PS3. The color and audio were spectacular.

Jeff, Thanks for a fine and thorough job fine tuning my home theater system.

I'm still impressed with the job UMR did with my 150FD and audio setup. I can really appreciate the accurate colors, especially the skin tones. It's a nice feeling to know and witness that your setup is accurate. No more fiddling all the time. I can just enjoy the presentation. After Jeff went through the "House of Flying Daggers" demo, I was ready to give him a standing ovation . My setup NEVER sounded or looked that good. Hell I bought the BR based on that scene alone!

Congrats Izap2! enjoy your set to it's fullest .

ps Jeff, I have the Lumagen waiting for your next visit .

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #8722 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Ok last silly question I promise!!! IF I am not going to use the "break-in" settings immediately with the break in DVD, then should I put the "reference settings" on right out of the box? Still paranoide i guess

Great question. +1 for paranoid. Guys, If I dont use the burn in DVD, what settings should I use to watch TV? I am a little confused. Thanks.
post #8723 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjre1 View Post

Great question. +1 for paranoid. Guys, If I dont use the burn in DVD, what settings should I use to watch TV? I am a little confused. Thanks.

I just used regular settings...as in what I would use any other time I watched the TV. The key, IMO, is to vary content and stick with full-screen programming as much as possible. This worked for me with my 5080.

I even "cheated" and watched a few anamorphic 2.35 movies during break-in.... NO issues at all! hehehehee
post #8724 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

the reference or the day settings and you can always adjust it as you see fit for your own eyes and viewing environment.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #8725 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

I just used regular settings...as in what I would use any other time I watched the TV. The key, IMO, is to vary content and stick with full-screen programming as much as possible. This worked for me with my 5080.

I even "cheated" and watched a few anamorphic 2.35 movies during break-in.... NO issues at all! hehehehee

Will I be safe then to watch full screen TV without any bars or logo's and use D-nice setteings? I can't seem to burn this CD from the DVD break in CD that everyone is taking about.

I finally got this dvd to work, however there are only 4 colors on it. Gray, light gray, green and red, is this normal?
post #8726 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM

hey guys im a newbie picking up my 1150 from tweeter next week and they also offer isf calibration. My quetion is has anyone had any expirience w/ them or are they as bad as B.B

Thank you
post #8727 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Will I be safe then to watch full screen TV without any bars or logo's and use D-nice setteings? I can't seem to burn this CD from the DVD break in CD that everyone is taking about.

I will try to contribut from my limited knowledge that I have gained over the last couple of weeks. DO NOT USE D-nice's "break-in" settings with ANYTHING other than the Break in DVD!!!!!! I ordered mine (the break in DVD that is), because I do not have a DVD burner. It should not take very long to get to me, only a couple of days. Until then, I am going to use the "reference settings" with contrast below 35 (per an email with UMR which it is already below that on the reference settings) to watch blu rays and DVDs on FULL SCREEN ONLY!!!!! This is the info that I have gathered, but in NO CIRCUMSTANCES use the BREAK IN settings with ANYTHING other than the BREAK IN DVD!!
post #8728 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I've used D-nice's reference settings from day one and have not had a single problem with my 950. I never bothered with break in. Just be careful what you watch the first few hundred hours- keep it full screen for most stuff.
post #8729 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks Client1.

I also went out and bought the blue ray disc yesterday. Awsome chapter.
post #8730 of 12879 Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 PM

Finally, my PRO-150FD ELITE has arrived. I am taking delivery tomorrow morning. Yipee!!!!

Thanks to John at Axxis, you're the best!!!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6010fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pro110 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page