The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 356 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10651 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The PDP-5010 has 3 fans at the top. I checked with a flashlight and they are not running. The PDP has been on for several hours. I need to know if the fans are thermal controlled to come on at a certain temperature or do i have a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10652 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razman View Post

The PDP-5010 has 3 fans at the top. I checked with a flashlight and they are not running. The PDP has been on for several hours. I need to know if the fans are thermal controlled to come on at a certain temperature or do i have a problem?

The fans are temperature driven and will only come on as needed. You may hear a "click" from the back of the set from time to time. That's the thermal relay turning the fan(s) on and off.

Also, the fans are not the only means of heat dissipation in the 5010. There are at least half a dozen heat-sync's in this set as well.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #10653 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 06:20 PM

D-Nice (or any 1150 owner who knows), regarding the post above, I hear people talk about fans in their Kuros in this thread constantly but I don't see any fans through the top of my 1150. The panel doesn't really put out much heat either. Is heat dissipation done differently on the Elites?

Everything worked out great thanks to good ol' Bender!
post #10654 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the reply. I was reading through the service manual and they are thermally controlled. I guess they don't run often. I also noticed that the PDP will shut itself off if temps run too high to protect the circuits.
post #10655 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razman View Post

Thanks for the reply. I was reading through the service manual and they are thermally controlled. I guess they don't run often. I also noticed that the PDP will shut itself off if temps run too high to protect the circuits.

I think pretty much all fans on PDP's are thermally controlled. How bright you drive the panel and the ambient temperature (of course) are the main factors for heat.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #10656 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

I think pretty much all fans on PDP's are thermally controlled. How bright you drive the panel and the ambient temperature (of course) are the main factors for heat.

A_C

I have asked this question before this forum. At what temperature are the fans supposed to come on? It has been hot here in Ca over the past couple of months and I have yet to hear them come on.

My concern is that someone on this forum mentioned that there is a firmware update for the 5010 that has to do with the fans not coming on. I havent called Pioneer yet but plan on doing so.

I really would like to prevent a meltdown
post #10657 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 PM

Hey folks. Purchased a 6010 in February and have been loving it until just a few minutes ago. I noticed a column of pixels on the left side of the screen extending from the center to the top, are displaying the wrong colors. It's a flashing green and red and very annoying. Happens on multiple input sources and on varying resolutions. I'm assuming a broken set, but wanted to know if anybody has seen this. The pictures show the problem. Any advice appreciated.
LL
LL
post #10658 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 08:10 PM

You're still in warranty obviously. Give Pioneer service a call cause it certainly looks like something went bad in there.

post #10659 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 PM

I recently had my Pro-150 calibrated by W. Jeff Meier (UMR) and have been enjoying the set for almost a month now. I purposely held back from posting as I wanted to gather the opinions of others who saw the TV before giving my impression.

My favorite comment regarding the newly calibrated TV was from my neighbor who said "man, blu-ray makes a huge difference". He is correct, however we were watching an up converted "Gladiator" on my DENON DVD player since my PS3 was on the fritz (strange audio issue, Sony promptly replaced the unit). Needless to say I am very happy with the results. The improvement he made to my modest sound system was also noteworthy. I tend to prefer listening to Stereo but find my self really enjoying DVD soundtracks, SACD and DVD-Audio recordings a lot more than before.

This brings me to my impression of the picture, black. I had black before but now the blacks are so well defined that you can see subtle shadows and make out detail that previously blended in. Watching HD theater is very entertaining, even with the most boring of subjects I find myself marveling at the level of detail and three dimensional quality not to mention clarity of the picture.

After a month I can say bravo UMR, everyone and anyone who has viewed the set is floored by the picture quality. Thanks and I wish you the best.
post #10660 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
congrats and did you let your friend know it was a sd dvd and letting him know its the tv that does the magic

also i know pictures do no justice but i would love a teaser once again congrats

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #10661 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

congrats and did you let your friend know it was a sd dvd and letting him know its the tv that does the magic

also i know pictures do no justice but i would love a teaser once again congrats

I will try to post to the pictures thread tomorrow, or as soon as I can find my camera which no doubt was confiscated by one of my daughters.
post #10662 of 12876 Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcssnet View Post

I recently had my Pro-150 calibrated by W. Jeff Meier (UMR) and have been enjoying the set for almost a month now.

Thanks for the audio/video calibration report. I've added it to the list of flat panel reports linked at the bottom of my post.
post #10663 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 01:03 AM

I haven't been able to receive any comments on my last post regarding the updated settings for "break in" period so I'm using the settings on the first page of this thread from D-Nice who seems to be the expert here.
Should I keep using them? I have been running the Break-in DVD for almost 24 hours now and I would like to know if the best way to go trough the Break-in period is by leaving the set running the DVD 24 over 24 hours or should I let the TV to rest for a few hours a day?
I know some of this questions have been answered before but come on guys, it's break in period and there are almost 400 pages on this thread. Help me out here... I've been waiting for this set for almost 3 months now and to have it in my sight and not being able to use is painful enough don't you thing?
What about the after Break In period settings?
Thanks for the help!
post #10664 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
sorry if i might of missed it, you can run the break in disc non stop until you get about 6 1/2 days, if you ajusted your settings according to d-nice for break in your fine, if you have refrence mode or somting that is NOT for break in disc then change it

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #10665 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sviatopolk View Post

I haven't been able to receive any comments on my last post regarding the updated settings for "break in" period so I'm using the settings on the first page of this thread from D-Nice who seems to be the expert here.
Should I keep using them? I have been running the Break-in DVD for almost 24 hours now and I would like to know if the best way to go trough the Break-in period is by leaving the set running the DVD 24 over 24 hours or should I let the TV to rest for a few hours a day?
I know some of this questions have been answered before but come on guys, it's break in period and there are almost 400 pages on this thread. Help me out here... I've been waiting for this set for almost 3 months now and to have it in my sight and not being able to use is painful enough don't you thing?
What about the after Break In period settings?
Thanks for the help!

Well, I never used the break-in settings. I just watched widescreen content for the first week or so making sure to vary programming. My set has been perfect thus far. Im not a big fan of running the TV unattended for a whole day or more. I feel its uneccessary. You CAN use your TV. I even watched a few anamorphic Blu-ray movies. Just make sure to fill the screen afterwards for 10-15 minutes. Then, just leave it on Discovery HD Theater or whatever for most of the rest of the day.

As for post break-in settings: There are several posts that have good starting settings that I suggest you tweak to your liking using them as a baseline. If you have a 5080 set, I have been pretty happy with these settings below which are based off of reference settings from D-NICE. These settings are for regular TV watching. I use something different for Blu-ray & HD DVD:

Main Menu:
AV Selection: User
Contrast: 34
Brightness: +1 or +2
Color: -13
Tint: Red 2
Sharpness: -11

Pro Adjust
Pure Cinema
Film Mode: Standard
Text Optimization: Off

Picture Detail:

DRE Picture: Off(try Low if you'd like)
Black Level: Off
ACL: Off
Enhancer Mode: 2
Gamma: 3

Color Detail:
Color Temp: MID(some like Low better, I much prefer MID color temp)
CTI: Off

Noise Reduction:
3DNR: Off
Field NR: Off

Power Save Mode: Off
Orbiter: On
post #10666 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 06:18 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcssnet View Post

After a month I can say bravo UMR, everyone and anyone who has viewed the set is floored by the picture quality. Thanks and I wish you the best.

Thanks.

I remember your daughters reactions after we finished and were watching Corpse Bride. They had watched it the day before and were stunned at the improvement. Once people have seen and heard what can be done with fabulous tools, good technique and great products it is hard to go back.
post #10667 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

I have asked this question before this forum. At what temperature are the fans supposed to come on? It has been hot here in Ca over the past couple of months and I have yet to hear them come on.

My concern is that someone on this forum mentioned that there is a firmware update for the 5010 that has to do with the fans not coming on. I havent called Pioneer yet but plan on doing so.

I really would like to prevent a meltdown

I'm Curious Too! I had my Display on for over 7 yours straight last weekend and never heard / saw any fan turn on. Are they just for show? Has anyone seen these fans actually running?
post #10668 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 View Post

I'm Curious Too! I had my Display on for over 7 yours straight last weekend and never heard / saw any fan turn on. Are they just for show? Has anyone seen these fans actually running?

.. just a guess, but probably monitored/set internally to run when operating temperature approaches the set's maximum operating temp; my 1150hd max operating temp. shows 104deg from owner's manual, a relative's Samsung 50A550 shows same max. temp.: (fm owner's manual)

Using the unit without proper ventilation may cause the internal
temperature to rise, and could result in possible malfunction.
When the surrounding or internal temperature exceeds a certain
degree, the display will automatically power off in order to cool
the internal electronics and prevent a hazardous occurrence.

Fan motor noise
The rotation speed of the cooling fan motor increases when the
ambient temperature of the plasma display becomes high. You
may hear the sound of the fan motor at that time.

Codes
SD04 and
SD11
Powering off. Internal temperature too high.
Check temperature around PDP.
Check if the ambient temperature of the plasma display is high.

Conclusion: Is your plasma set-up in a poor ventilated area where vents are blocked and/or you keep the temperature of your home at higher than normal levels .. say, 85degrees or higher + level of humidity.
post #10669 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 View Post

Just checked mine as well... All 3 off.

The set has been on for about an hour and the ambient temperature is 80°F.

I interpret this as a set with well engineered thermal dynamics, not a problem.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #10670 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Does the 5080 use any fans? Ive never heard any fan noise in the 6 months ive had it. Just curious.
post #10671 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Thanks.

I remember your daughters reactions after we finished and were watching Corpse Bride. They had watched it the day before and were stunned at the improvement. Once people have seen and heard what can be done with fabulous tools, good technique and great products it is hard to go back.

UMR, now I really can't wait until you come here for our 150FD!

My favorite toy
post #10672 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 AM

Thought I'd chirp in and post some observations that may help newer people out. I tried D-nice's SM adjustments (including R,G,B lows) with the MID color temp. I've always used LOW temp (since last July) with the red high turned down in SM and thought I'd compare. I watch everything in MOVIE mode cause for personal preference I find it less "noisy" a picture (PWM noise or something).

If you like a more film like quality to your viewing then go with the LOW temp and turn down the red high in the SM.
If you prefer a more video quality experience go with MID and D-nice's SM adjustments.

-Low temp definitely adds a slight yellow cast to the picture.
-I find low temp requires DRE at low to get good HD depth to the picture.
-The MID temp adjustments greatly reduced grain I would see in sky shots such as most ariel pans in CSI Miami
-However I find it increased grain in some dark shots of peoples faces (will have to observe more I think this was crappy feed watching L&O SVU)
-Like I said no DRE required with MID and I boosted my contrast 2-4 clicks for a little pop
-Bastketball and baseball looked more realistic in MID
-Overall I think the MID temp is a cleaner picture

I can recommend either color temps to anyone and just say it will all come down to personal preference.

Here's my settings for anyone who wants to try them. I use these with a Motorola 6416 STB and my PS3, they seem to be a good balance for both. I see very little difference between D-nice's User mode settings with the MID SM tweaks and these Movie mode ones. I'm sure there's better reasons for the User ones (gamma curves etc) but like I say it's personal pref here.

MID COLOR TEMP:
R high: (+3)
G high: (no change)
B high: (-10)
R low: (-12)
G low: (no change)
B low: (-13)

mode: movie
contrast: 40
brightness: +1
color: -4
sharpness: -15
tint: 0

film mode: standard (advance for 1080P/24 movies)
text op: off

dre: off
black level: off
acl: off
enhancer mode: 2
gamma: 2

color temp: mid
cti: off

3dnr: Low
field nr: off

------------------------

LOW COLOR TEMP:
R high: (-10)
B high: (no change)
R low: (no change)
B low: (no change)

contrast: 36
sharpness: -10

dre: low

color temp: low

Oh and if you choose to go into the Service Menu and you screw something up don't look at me.
ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!
post #10673 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddesigned View Post

...If you like a more film like quality to your viewing then go with the LOW temp and turn down the red high in the SM.
If you prefer a more video quality experience go with MID and D-nice's SM adjustments.

-Low temp definitely adds a slight yellow cast to the picture...

I can recommend either color temps to anyone and just say it will all come down to personal preference...

Very nice summary. I tried to say something like this earlier, but you did a much better job.
post #10674 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Very nice summary. I tried to say something like this earlier, but you did a much better job.

Without reading back to far may I ask what you've settled on?
post #10675 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 12:13 PM

RE: PDP 5080HD
Well it has happened a second time. Input #2 quit working again.
I switched my DVR to input #3 and it works fine, so does the cable card.

Last time, on May 20, 2008, the repairman replaced a circuit board. It seemed to correct the problem at the time.

But, over the last couple of days, the video would flicker for a second or two, but the video did come back on. Now it is just audio again on Input #2.

I have an appointment set up for next Tues for another service call.

I'll keep you posted on the problem and solution.

Has anyone else had this problem?
(Mathesar does this sound like your problem? And what are they doing to fix it?)

Unplugging it for a few minutes did not correct the problem.

Thanks,
Brad
post #10676 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

Just checked mine as well... All 3 off.

The set has been on for about an hour and the ambient temperature is 80°F.

I interpret this as a set with well engineered thermal dynamics, not a problem.

A_C

Yes we can only hope.

As I mentioned someone on this forum had a firmware update done by Pioneer due to problems with fans not coming on and causing damage.
post #10677 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Does the 5080 use any fans? Ive never heard any fan noise in the 6 months ive had it. Just curious.

Should be the same as the 5010 regarding fans.
post #10678 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

.. just a guess, but probably monitored/set internally to run when operating temperature approaches the set's maximum operating temp; my 1150hd max operating temp. shows 104deg from owner's manual, a relative's Samsung 50A550 shows same max. temp.: (fm owner's manual)

Using the unit without proper ventilation may cause the internal
temperature to rise, and could result in possible malfunction.
When the surrounding or internal temperature exceeds a certain
degree, the display will automatically power off in order to cool
the internal electronics and prevent a hazardous occurrence.

Fan motor noise
The rotation speed of the cooling fan motor increases when the
ambient temperature of the plasma display becomes high. You
may hear the sound of the fan motor at that time.

Codes
SD04 and
SD11
Powering off. Internal temperature too high.
Check temperature around PDP.
Check if the ambient temperature of the plasma display is high.

Conclusion: Is your plasma set-up in a poor ventilated area where vents are blocked and/or you keep the temperature of your home at higher than normal levels .. say, 85degrees or higher + level of humidity.

The logic on the fans should have them coming on before reaching 104F to cool it down to prevent a shutdown before it happens.
post #10679 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 12:53 PM

"my 1150hd max operating temp. shows 104deg from owner's manual"

daniel'son, Have you actually seen fans in your 1150? I've asked this before and haven't gotten an answer but I don't see any fans when looking through the vents in mine. It doesn't really put out much heat either so I'm wondering if heat dissipation is accomplished differently in the Elites.

post #10680 of 12876 Old 06-11-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddesigned View Post

Thought I'd chirp in and post some observations that may help newer people out. I tried D-nice's SM adjustments (including R,G,B lows) with the MID color temp. I've always used LOW temp (since last July) with the red high turned down in SM and thought I'd compare. I watch everything in MOVIE mode cause for personal preference I find it less "noisy" a picture (PWM noise or something).

If you like a more film like quality to your viewing then go with the LOW temp and turn down the red high in the SM.

-Low temp definitely adds a slight yellow cast to the picture.
-I find low temp requires DRE at low to get good HD depth to the picture.
-The MID temp adjustments greatly reduced grain I would see in sky shots such as most ariel pans in CSI Miami
-However I find it increased grain in some dark shots of peoples faces (will have to observe more I think this was crappy feed watching L&O SVU)
-Like I said no DRE required with MID and I boosted my contrast 2-4 clicks for a little pop

I can recommend either color temps to anyone and just say it will all come down to personal preference.

Here's my settings for anyone who wants to try them. I use these with a Motorola 6416 STB and my PS3, they seem to be a good balance for both. I see very little difference between D-nice's User mode settings with the MID SM tweaks and these Movie mode ones. I'm sure there's better reasons for the User ones (gamma curves etc) but like I say it's personal pref here.

MID COLOR TEMP:
R high: (+3)
B high: (-10)
R low: (-12)
B low: (-13)

contrast: 40
sharpness: -15

dre: off

color temp: mid

Good info. I use those almost exact MOVIE settings for Blu-Ray and HD DVD. My only difference is that I set the Brightness to like +2 or +3 depending on the title since anything less seems to lose too much dark scene detail to me.

MID has always been my top choice, I could never get LOW color temp to work right. I also use the RGB service menu offsets you posted. GOOD stuff!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6010fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page