Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 12876 Old 06-16-2007, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

That is a bold statement from your contact. I don't see how they can make that statement. Lets use the Animal Planet logo for an example. The orbiter will not more that logo to an unused area of the screen. Their logo is a green square, relatively large. The orbitor will slowly shift the pixels, but with such a large, solid color logo, it is only going to shift them into an area that is already green, thus staying green.

Unless I misunderstand the orbiter, this statement cannot be true. The animal planet isn't the only one that uses a logo like this. I think the orbiter will help but to say never is inaccurate, at least in my opinion.

I spoke to the Plasma expert at Pioneer Electronics Canada. When he was in LA in mid May to review the new 8G sets and get educated on them, he said that they put them through their paces.

They left the 5080 on for 72 hours with the fox news logo on it.

After 24 hours, no IR

After 48 hours, no IR

After 72 hours not even a hint of IR.

He said that as long as you use all of the features that are built into the set to prevent IR, you will not experience it.

If for example you turn off the orbiter function, well then you can't complain if you get some temporary IR.

Basheer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 12876 Old 06-16-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

No, unfortuneately this is not how the Side Mask works (at least not for the 7Gs, I expect the 8Gs work the same).
It doesn't auto detect sidebars and replace with grey. You can either have the side bars set to FIXED which makes them grey, or have it set to auto which mirrors the picture and fills the sides.

Well, in my 5080 it certainly seems to auto detect when they are there. Auto definitly does not do reverse image stuff- that can't be done from what I have seen from the manual and playing with options.

From the manual (pg 62), there is a detecting side masks mode. Paraphrasing the manual, some HD broadcasts show 4:3 content with sidemasks. The display detects these sidemasks and provides gray side masks when natural has been selected for auto size, or displays full screen with side masks removed when wide-zoom has been selected. Turning detection on prevents uneven wear on 4:# content and reduces the possibilty of image retention. Side mask detection does not work for SD content.

After that it talks about changin the brightness at both sides of the screen (side mask). Fixed sets the same brightness always, auto adjusts the brightness of the gray side masks according to the brightness of the images. There is a special note to specify that using auto is best for image retention reduction.

It certainly seems to work for me. It takes 5 seconds or so of black bars in the source before the TV detects it and zooms/replaces with gray. When 16x9 returns (i.e. after the commercial) it flips back almost instantly.
post #93 of 12876 Old 06-16-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheer View Post

Does anyone (D-Nice ) know if a break-in period is even required anymore to help prevent IR now that there are so many IR prevention features on the new 8G sets?

Thanks,
Basheer

I'd love to know this too since my 5080 arrives next week!
post #94 of 12876 Old 06-16-2007, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone using the 5080 with a DVDO VP50?
I am curious if it will 1:1 map and improve SD quality.
Thanks.
post #95 of 12876 Old 06-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Its the TV Guide feature. The only way to stop it is to disable the TVGOS and turn off the auto clock time feature.

Yes I know....it sucks and why in the world would Pioneer continue to use such a POS of a guide. I personally hate the TVGOS feature and wish Pioneer would have refrained from including it in the 8Gs.

D-Nice,

I'm getting a 5080 soon and live in an area where there is no OTA TV, either HD or SD. I strictly use satellite and DVD sources.

Will I be bothered by the TVGOS even though I never use OTA tuners?

If I have to disable the TVGOS and auto clock, can this be done from the users menu or will I have to enter the dreaded SM?
post #96 of 12876 Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 PM

I just got the 5080 and hooked it up to a Toshiba HD-D2 (Costco's A2 version). When I watched some SD dvds on it with the TV set to "movie" mode (under AV selection), I see a faint flicker/brightness change every now and then. This happened on multiple discs. To investigate, as soon as I saw the flicker, I rewinded the dvd a little bit to see if the change happens again in the same place. And it does. When I change the mode to anything other than the movie mode (like optimum), I never see the brightness fluctuate. I'm assuming that the fluctuation is because of the TV and not the player (as nothing changed on the player but just the viewing mode on the TV). I haven't tried any HD discs yet. Has anyone seen this? Could this be a problem with the TV? Thanks.
post #97 of 12876 Old 06-16-2007, 10:46 PM

I like the 5080 for its DVD playback quality but I think the standard analog cable is ok. The Panasonic TH-50PX600u is much better with dealing with standard analog cable signal but doesn't quite match up with playing back a DVD movie against the Pioneer. I rented some DVDs to test my new display and I was really impressed with it. I've seen some other non-elites from customer's homes and this display clearly beats them in performance. The one thing that I did notice as well is that when viewing a 4:3 image I can't seem to find the right picture format. Pansonic seems to have the edge as well in this area because there's a mode called "Just" and seemed to keep everything in the screen even when they are clearly stretching it. The movies that I rented where "The Incredibles" and "Ghost Rider". Both of them played excellent without any faults and with just a few adjustments here and there. I'm no expert or claim to be but I know what I like to see. If a LCD could match up with this and have a great standard analog signal tuner I would have purchased one. There's my inital thoughts!
post #98 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati999 View Post

I just got the 5080 and hooked it up to a Toshiba HD-D2 (Costco's A2 version). When I watched some SD dvds on it with the TV set to "movie" mode (under AV selection), I see a faint flicker/brightness change every now and then. This happened on multiple discs. To investigate, as soon as I saw the flicker, I rewinded the dvd a little bit to see if the change happens again in the same place. And it does. When I change the mode to anything other than the movie mode (like optimum), I never see the brightness fluctuate. I'm assuming that the fluctuation is because of the TV and not the player (as nothing changed on the player but just the viewing mode on the TV). I haven't tried any HD discs yet. Has anyone seen this? Could this be a problem with the TV? Thanks.

I noticed this as well. I was watching a cable feed in movie mode with Pure Cinema set to Advance. I switched out of movie mode into standard and changed Pure Cinema to smooth and I have not seen any flicker. Hopefully someone with more tech knowledge will be able to explain what the pure cinema does and when to use it.

The manual is confusing to me. It states the Pure Cinema setting "Standard" produces smooth and vivid images - the "Smooth" setting produces smoother and more vivid images - the "Advance" setting produces smooth and quality images. Advance also states it produces the images by converting to 72Hz when displaying images having 24 frames (eg; movies) - So is Advance the setting you want to use with HD and bluray that play the disc at 24Hz?
post #99 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 176
bokes,

What happens if you leave it in "movie mode" and only change Pure Cinema setting to Standard?????

It kind of sounds like the set was running at 72Hz with material that wasn't a true 24FPS, thus the flicker. I guess this brings up the question, is all film converted to HD digital at 24 fps or do some places go ahead and convert it to 60????

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #100 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure where you are shopping in Canada, but you can get the 1140 for $3500.....most dealers are trying to clear them out.

Eitherway, if you're only looking at the 1140 vs the 5080 and you're not considering the 1150, then the 5080 should be your choice, it has better PQ than the 1140.

You can also purchase the 5080 for $3500 in the GTA.

Basheer

Yup! my 5080 is going to arrive ne time! And if you go to the right store, the 1140 is selling for $3500 or less but I still prefer the 5080 because it is even cheaper!
post #101 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 10:32 AM

I know this forum is a spin-off of the "8G pioneer plasma - 80% lower black levels"-forum. But there were other spin-off forums planned. Any one any idea if the other spin-offs are live? I'm trying to keep up with anything that comes out on the 8Gs ....
post #102 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
<-------- Anxiously awaiting D-Nice's settings. I am going to order this TV tomorrow!!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #103 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

<-------- Anxiously awaiting D-Nice's settings. I am going to order this TV tomorrow!!

Settings posted.
post #104 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
thank you D-Nice :-)
post #105 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Settings posted.

Where are they? I searched your other posts and don't see them. ]

Regards,
post #106 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 08:31 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

any chance of some settings for HD movie players?

Thanks for the settings.
post #107 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjunky View Post

The Panasonic TH-50PX600u is much better with dealing with standard analog cable signal but doesn't quite match up with playing back a DVD movie against the Pioneer.

This is really suprising/disappointing as the new ASIC processor was supposed to dramatically improve the quality of SD
post #108 of 12876 Old 06-17-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is really suprising/disappointing as the new ASIC processor was supposed to dramatically improve the quality of SD

Personally, I think it's not the TV's fault. SD via cable seems to be a very different
beast than SD from other sources. I find my Sharp LCD and even my Sony XBR CRT
didn't handle SD too well from my cable box, especially via coaxial. Surprisingly,
things seem to look a lot better via Composite (yes, composite!) as opposed to even
s-video! Pictures (via SD card) on my Nintendo Wii, for example look spectacular...
much better than what I get from cable. Go 480P and it looks even better.

It'a almost akin to those big box stores that feed multiple TV's via the same source.
Some TV's seem to handle crappy signals better than others too. Perhaps this is
where some folks are talking about "SD processing". I'm not sure if it's truly processing
differences or if it's just a matter of some TV's handle cable signals better than others.
Hard to explain, but maybe that's what's happening here.

The processor is only as good as the input its given. I'd try a better SD source to
(eg: videogames, DVD player, etc) to see if there is a weakness in processing.
post #109 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Recommended 150 Hour Break-In settings for Pioneer 4280/5080 (ONLY to be used with the Break-in DVD and a DVD player!!!)

Perhaps this will change tomorrow, but that link to the Break-in DVD is currently Broken it seems. Perhaps THIS is the new link.

PS - The wait for the 6010 / 150FD is killing me!! Tell them to Ship to Canada at the same time as the U.S!!! No 1-month delay!
like with the 4280/5080. Tired of waiting!
post #110 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

I spoke to the Plasma expert at Pioneer Electronics Canada. When he was in LA in mid May to review the new 8G sets and get educated on them, he said that they put them through their paces.

They left the 5080 on for 72 hours with the fox news logo on it.

After 24 hours, no IR

After 48 hours, no IR

After 72 hours not even a hint of IR.

He said that as long as you use all of the features that are built into the set to prevent IR, you will not experience it.

If for example you turn off the orbiter function, well then you can't complain if you get some temporary IR.

Basheer

And yet there are people reporting IR on their Pioneers, after a few hours. Hmmm, I just wish plasma didn't have IR at all, then we could stop worrying about it and everyone could just enjoy these awesome sets.

post #111 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 AM

Hey D-Nice I have a question.

I my menu I can't find Moscito noise setting and my Power modes are off and 1 and 2. I have the 5080. The only 2 things I have there are:
DNR: Off
Field NR: On
I only use HDMI and cable in AntA so far. Is the reason because the rest is for component connections only? OR do I need a DVD signal to select it?
Thx for the settings so far.

BluRays: 11 (last: Cars & Ratatouille)
HD-DVD: 0
---------------------------------------------
post #112 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Settings posted.

Seriously, is there a more helpful guy in the video forums than you? I think not!

D-Nice, you rock hard buddy. Thanks for all your hard work and help. You should be getting paid for this!

I am ordering the TV today and will try out those settings once break-in is complete. Again, thank you D-Nice; you are one stand up guy!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #113 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

And yet there are people reporting IR on their Pioneers, after a few hours. Hmmm, I just wish plasma didn't have IR at all, then we could stop worrying about it and everyone could just enjoy these awesome sets.

Really? Who? When? Where? How?

Have any of them reported this on AVS?

I have followed all 3 threads relating to the 8G and I'm sure that I would remember if any of the new owners of the 5080 have reported any IR of any kind so far.

I have personally seen it on the 5070, but I have not heard of any IR on the new 8G's as of yet.

Basheer
post #114 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 07:58 AM

The settings posted for cable box are break-in settings- correct?
Can we look forward to other settings once break-in is complete?
post #115 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 08:00 AM

I have a 5080 with a SA8300HD and i set the cable box to auto dvi which looking at the manual appears to be the same as pass through. When i watch SD tv the cable box shows 1080i which i assume means it is upconverting to 1080i and then my tv is downconverting. I set the cable box to send 480i, 480p, 720p wide and 1080i wide. Is my cable box set properly? Why is my cable box always displaying 1080i for all content? Do I need to change a setting on my 5080?
post #116 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

I have followed all 3 threads relating to the 8G and I'm sure that I would remember if any of the new owners of the 5080 have reported any IR of any kind so far.

I have personally seen it on the 5070, but I have not heard of any IR on the new 8G's as of yet.

Basheer

I was referring to the 5070, sorry for the confusion. As reported in the master burn in thread and various other places.

post #117 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM

The orbiter in the new 8G works really well. I could see it work when I made the firmware update for my Sammy BD Player. After 5-10min, when I went near the screen and focused on it, I could see the Samsung logo moving a little bit in circles. Also I think a huge plus is that the screen is brighter and the whites are better (compared to 7G). I have the 5080 in Power Mode 2 and will go to Power Mode 1 after break in. However, the screen is so bright I don't have to switch the Power mode off which really helps preventing uneven phosphor aging (quote manual). So far I haven't seen any sign of IR and also haven't heart of any on the 8G. My friend has the Pana 42"60 and right when he got his screen he had some IR randomly but only after glow that when away in sec-minutes. Have not even seen that on the brand new 5080. I still fear the uneven aging a little bit but thx to the orbiter I think that Logos and gaming are no problem any more ... and I really mean no problem.

The only bad thing with Power Mode 2 is, combined with the very dark blacks, you get some black crush.

BluRays: 11 (last: Cars & Ratatouille)
HD-DVD: 0
---------------------------------------------
post #118 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic(tm) View Post

Hey D-Nice I have a question.

I my menu I can't find Moscito noise setting and my Power modes are off and 1 and 2. I have the 5080. The only 2 things I have there are:
DNR: Off
Field NR: On
I only use HDMI and cable in AntA so far. Is the reason because the rest is for component connections only? OR do I need a DVD signal to select it?
Thx for the settings so far.

Sorry about that. I was creating the template for the upcoming Elites, and forgot to remove those for the Pure line. I've updated the 1st post again.
post #119 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

The settings posted for cable box are break-in settings- correct?

Yes
Quote:

Can we look forward to other settings once break-in is complete?

Yes I will post HD DVD and BD player settings sometime next month.
post #120 of 12876 Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Basheer

I haven't had even a hint of IR on my 5080, and I've watched sports, gamed, etc.

Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you.
~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6010fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page