The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 12876 Old 06-23-2007, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll use the break-in DVD when I get my panel, and I've found the download site. My only question is which version of the DVD to download -- I'm a Mac owner if that makes any difference. I'll be using it on a Denon 2930. Also not certain what steps to take after the download. Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 02:22 AM

is there going to be a PDP-428XD model in the US?
If not does any of you people know the break-in settings for that particular model?
post #183 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPrice View Post

I'll use the break-in DVD when I get my panel, and I've found the download site. My only question is which version of the DVD to download -- I'm a Mac owner if that makes any difference. I'll be using it on a Denon 2930. Also not certain what steps to take after the download. Clark

I could not get the VIDEO_TS version burned to a DVD-R to play on my 2930CI; using an old Philips.
post #184 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotslasher View Post

is there going to be a PDP-428XD model in the US?
If not does any of you people know the break-in settings for that particular model?

Yes, one is available already.
post #185 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post

I could not get the VIDEO_TS version burned to a DVD-R to play on my 2930CI; using an old Philips.

I had the same problem. Also on a Philips. The VIDEO_TS version burned all right, but just wouldn't play. Would the other versions work?

Any recommendations for a good upconverting DVD player to 720p? I don't need one of the 1080p upconverting ones, right? I saw a nice Denon at BB. Or, is a Blu-ray or HD-DVD the only way to go?
post #186 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Download the .ISO or .NRG version and burn with Nero or DVD Decrypter.
post #187 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaddiwar View Post

I had the same problem. Also on a Philips. The VIDEO_TS version burned all right, but just wouldn't play. Would the other versions work?

Any recommendations for a good upconverting DVD player to 720p? I don't need one of the 1080p upconverting ones, right? I saw a nice Denon at BB. Or, is a Blu-ray or HD-DVD the only way to go?

Have you SEEN Blu-Ray on a new panel? It's simply stunning (with the right disc). If you're not a big video buff, save the money and go with an upconverting DVD player (from Oppo). If you're even halfway interested in HD content I would seriously consider picking up the PS3 (or a standalone Blu-Ray / HDDVD player). The picture is breathtaking on certain films (like Pirates of The Carribean for example).

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
post #188 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post

Have you SEEN Blu-Ray on a new panel? It's simply stunning (with the right disc). If you're not a big video buff, save the money and go with an upconverting DVD player (from Oppo). If you're even halfway interested in HD content I would seriously consider picking up the PS3 (or a standalone Blu-Ray / HDDVD player). The picture is breathtaking on certain films (like Pirates of The Carribean for example).

Thanks for the info, I was trying to save some bucks, but maybe that's not a good option. I love my 5080, but I just don't have a source that will really show me what the 5080 can do. DirecTV came out twice and I can't get a signal from my place, so I'm going to upgrade my SD cable package to HD instead.

The local BB won't have the 5080 (or, the 5081, I guess) for another 4 weeks, so I can't see the awweome PQ there either.

Also, are HDMI cables the only way to go? How much worse are the component video cables?

Thanks!
post #189 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, I was trying to save some bucks, but maybe that's not a good option. I love my 5080, but I just don't have a source that will really show me what the 5080 can do. DirecTV came out twice and I can't get a signal from my place, so I'm going to upgrade my SD cable package to HD instead.

The local BB won't have the 5080 (or, the 5081, I guess) for another 4 weeks, so I can't see the awweome PQ there either.

Also, are HDMI cables the only way to go? How much worse are the component video cables?

Thanks!

If you pick up a Blu-Ray player, you definitely will have some great stuff to show the capabilities of your new 5080 :P - Component cables aren't really any worse than going with HDMI, though some (like me) prefer HDMI because it's a one-cable-fits-all solution. You can pick up very high quality cables online for very inexpensive prices. My personal favorite is Blue Jeans Cable (forum sponsor), though many have also had good luck with Monoprice. If you have an HDMI 1.3 capable receiver, it's even better with HDMI because you can feed your Blu-Ray output to your receiver, and pass video directly from the receiver to your 5080. Let us know what you decide to do

Bear Down!
PSN=Neko150
post #190 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I 2nd the Oppo dvd player if you want to wait untill the format war is over, and untill prices come down on who ever is the winner.
post #191 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaByte View Post

I 2nd the Oppo dvd player if you want to wait untill the format war is over, and untill prices come down on who ever is the winner.

Thanks MegaByte and Mongoos for your input. I'm liking the Oppo idea, for now anyways, until I can earn some more money to purchase a Blu-Ray or HD DVD, whichever one wins.

Is the one you're talking about the OPDV971H model?

Thanks again!
post #192 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. And BTW, I'm no fanboy, but every day that passes is bringing us closer to a format winner - and it's looking to be Blu. but if you want to show off your panel, I would most definitely pick up a Blu-Ray player or PS3.

Bear Down!
PSN=Neko150
post #193 of 12876 Old 06-24-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks MegaByte and Mongoos for your input. I'm liking the Oppo idea, for now anyways, until I can earn some more money to purchase a Blu-Ray or HD DVD, whichever one wins.

Is the one you're talking about the OPDV971H model?

Thanks again!

nmaddiwar;
Go to the Oppo web site. I beleive they have 3 to chose from. You can e-mail the with the tyoe of display you have and they can make a recommendtion for you on which dvd unit to get and which cable to use, which they will send with the playrer for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoos150 View Post

mongoos150......
your a wise man
post #194 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 07:28 AM

Liked: 12
what is the best setting for stretching 4:3?
WIDE seems to really distort the body shape.

Also anyone having HDMI audio cut out over cable feed?
post #195 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

what is the best setting for stretching 4:3?
WIDE seems to really distort the body shape.

Also anyone having HDMI audio cut out over cable feed?

From the pictures posted "cinema" is the best of the stretch modes, however I cannot seem to get it to work unless I allow 480i/p signals with my cable box, and even then it doesn't fill the screen; it just stretches the picture within the gray bars on the sides. How did the gent who posted the picture comparisons get cinema to fill then entire screen (no gray boxes) while watching cable?

Yes, HDMI audio cuts out over cable feed. It's the stupid Time Warner SE8300HD box. If you want to prevent it from happening just force the box to use only 1080i, however then your TV will not remember the settings for HD (in other words, it will remember that you use "wide" or "cinema" when you switch back to a SD 4:3 channel, but when you switch back to an HD channel it will stay as "wide" or "cinema" and you will have to change it back to "full" manually). Is that a glitch with the TV or is there a way around it? The only way around it I found was to set the 8300HD to allow both 720P and 1080i only, but if I just set it so it allows 1080i only it won't remember to change the HD channels back to full like I originally had them set.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #196 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Cinema stretch is only available for 480i/p signals.
post #197 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Cinema stretch is only available for 480i/p signals.

Okay, understandable, but why does it still put gray boxes around the picture, keeping it in 4:3 ratio?

Any word on why my settings don't stick when I force the box to only 1080i? I mean, they stick for SD 4:3 channels, but HD won't switch itself back to "full" unless I use both 720p and 1080i.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions - you have been very helpful.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #198 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Liked: 12
Has anyone had the 5080 calibrated?
It looks so good as is- I am hesitant to schedule one.
post #199 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

I will have umr calibrate mine this sunday.
post #200 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 PM

I'm getting some pretty bizarre color anomalies with the TiVo Series 3 connected direct via HDMI to the 5080 or through a Marantz SR7001. Looks almost like a color film negative. First showed up while programming the TiVo remote to operate the Power, Volume and Input on the 5080. The problem is intermittent (yuck!) but can be triggered sometimes by pressing the TiVo Central button on the TiVo remote.

I should add that the TiVo has functioned flawlessly for the past few months; the only change in my setup was the swap out of a Sharp LC-52D92U for the 5080, which I did yesterday. Problems started when I was programming the TiVo remote to operate the 5080. I can't imagine how IR programming a remote could trigger this mess, but that seems to be what's happening. All the Picture settings (D-Nice's) on the 5080 are unchanged though.

I have ruled out bad HDMI cables and it does not occur with other video sources (Wii, Denon 2930CI) which are also running through the AVR. Could be a bad HDMI port on the Series 3 I suppose.

Local Pioneer service rep insists it's an HDMI handshake issue and told me that "Pioneer doesn't support HDMI since it is a flawed protocol" and recommended I use component to carry video from the AVR to the 5080.

Anyone else having any issues with the TiVo Series 3?

Thanks.
post #201 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

Parasite, please post umr's results once he's done! The 5080s have more control over the picture and it would be very interesting to see how close the color accuracy can be as well as the temperature and gamma accuracy...
post #202 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

bump. Has anyone experienced the same issue I have had (Posed above) and does anyone know how to remedy it?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #203 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

When UMR is there, can you please find out if the SM offers finer gamma and color temperature adjustments than is available in the user menus? For the gamma, if finer adjustment is available, is it global or separate by RGB primary?

Would also like to hear any comments UMR has about the dispay's calibration adjustments and resulting picture.

Thanks and enjoy the new display.

Cheers,

Gary
post #204 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

Thanks.

Haven't heard of anyone coupling a S3 Tivo with this panel yet, but for this one person I've linked below. He's comparing his Fujitsu plasma to the 5080, using the S3 as one of his sources. Doesn't appear to be experiencing anything unusual as of yet...

linky poo

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #205 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 09:43 PM

I need some help on this issue. I have an entertainment center with a space in it that is, 46" W x 28-1/4" H x 25" D (open space in back). The only model that will work for me is the 4280 or the Pro 950. I read the specs. and saw that the height on the tv with stand is 28-5/16". Is there a way to adjust it? Will I still be able to get this to fit and is that too little room up to the top for breathing space? As I said it is open space in the back of the entertainment center. Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #206 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

I'm getting some pretty bizarre color anomalies with the TiVo Series 3 connected direct via HDMI to the 5080 or through a Marantz SR7001. Looks almost like a color film negative. First showed up while programming the TiVo remote to operate the Power, Volume and Input on the 5080. The problem is intermittent (yuck!) but can be triggered sometimes by pressing the TiVo Central button on the TiVo remote.

I should add that the TiVo has functioned flawlessly for the past few months; the only change in my setup was the swap out of a Sharp LC-52D92U for the 5080, which I did yesterday. Problems started when I was programming the TiVo remote to operate the 5080. I can't imagine how IR programming a remote could trigger this mess, but that seems to be what's happening. All the Picture settings (D-Nice's) on the 5080 are unchanged though.

I have ruled out bad HDMI cables and it does not occur with other video sources (Wii, Denon 2930CI) which are also running through the AVR. Could be a bad HDMI port on the Series 3 I suppose.

Local Pioneer service rep insists it's an HDMI handshake issue and told me that "Pioneer doesn't support HDMI since it is a flawed protocol" and recommended I use component to carry video from the AVR to the 5080.

Thanks.

I have an S3 with a 6070 and I think I know what may be happening.

Go into your HDMI setup and verify that its on "auto". If it isn't, change it to that.
This has to do with the type signal that its expecting. Evidently, on the S3, its changing the output on certain screens. If its any consolation, my S3 remote (which I do like) triggers my CO detector's test circuit....and its very loud, especially at 2 in the morning. I have to be careful where I aim the remote.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #207 of 12876 Old 06-26-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I have an S3 with a 6070 and I think I know what may be happening.

Go into your HDMI setup and verify that its on "auto". If it isn't, change it to that.
This has to do with the type signal that its expecting. Evidently, on the S3, its changing the output on certain screens. If its any consolation, my S3 remote (which I do like) triggers my CO detector's test circuit....and its very loud, especially at 2 in the morning. I have to be careful where I aim the remote.

Thanks for responding.

I've verified that in the Home Menu/Option/HDMI Input submenu,

Signal Type = Video
Video = Auto
Audio = Auto

I will post a pic or two tomorrow and see what people think.
post #208 of 12876 Old 06-27-2007, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 113
@D-Nice, do you have some information about what exactly "Option -> Drive Mode" does technically? In the UK forum people had major motion display problems (motion judder) with the default setting of "2", which went away after setting the mode to "1". But nobody seems to know what this is really all about.

See here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...44#post5038844

Beginning with post #64. The manual doesn't lose a single word about what meaning the different Drive Mode settings have.
post #209 of 12876 Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

Thanks for responding.

I've verified that in the Home Menu/Option/HDMI Input submenu,

Signal Type = Video
Video = Auto
Audio = Auto

I will post a pic or two tomorrow and see what people think.

I was just looking at page 66 of the pdf
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...0HD_5080HD.pdf

Since "auto" doesn't seem to properly detect the correct video signal from the TIVO, I'd try one of the others. Not sure which one it should be, so it'd be trial and error. You'll know right away from the picture.

By the way, this may just be something to do with how the TIVO operates and not the PDP.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #210 of 12876 Old 06-27-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I was just looking at page 66 of the pdf
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...0HD_5080HD.pdf

Since "auto" doesn't seem to properly detect the correct video signal from the TIVO, I'd try one of the others. Not sure which one it should be, so it'd be trial and error. You'll know right away from the picture.

By the way, this may just be something to do with how the TIVO operates and not the PDP.

In a related vein, I was going through all the pieces of paper that came with the 5080 and noticed a little white sheet with the following text:

HDMI connection irregularity
This plasma display is HDMI compatible. However, depending on the type of the connected source component, it may exhibit irregularities with this plasma display. Please consult the component manual or contact the component manufacturer for support.

To me, this translates as: with HDMI, all bets are off; bon chance!

Perhaps they should describe it as "HDMI capable" since it might work, rather than HDMI compatible, which implies that it will work.

But in the end, I don't really care. The picture is much Much MUCH too frigging good to care. I'd be happy connecting the TiVo with two paper cups and a string as long as I have the picture quality of the 5080. Can't wait until Sept to get the 6010 and move the 5080 to the bedroom.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6010fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page