TH-50PZ700U or Pioneer PDP-5080 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which is a better buy, Panasonic TH-50PZ700U or Pioneer PDP-5080 and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 222
5080 as it is better in every aspect besides total resolution.
post #3 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Both are good displays but I think from feedback so far the 5080HD is ahead and we will know more once more people get theirs delivered
post #4 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
just installed a 50pz700u for a customer. excellent picture quality.

- Chip
post #5 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #6 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjam View Post

Which is a better buy, Panasonic TH-50PZ700U or Pioneer PDP-5080 and why?

1. How close are you eyes to the screen?

2. What kind of content will you be watching on it?

3. Will you even need your new set to be 1080p?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

just saw the 5080 at the pioneer store - 5080 puts the 50pz700u to shame
post #8 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 653
post #9 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting cast of characters here?

dv
post #10 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ ??
post #11 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 06:25 PM

As far as which is a better buy, you should also consider and factor in how both manufacturers will handle warranty claims. I have never made a Pioneer warranty claim, so I can't comment on their warranty service, but I am in the middle of a Panny warranty claim , and I am not at all impressed.

I had a 50 inch Panny delivered in Jan. It worked for 2 weeks and then it developed a black horizontal band all the way across the TV. The Panny authorized repair center came to my house for the first time on Jan. 28 and now 4 1/2 months later its still broken. Panasonic doesn't dispute that its broken. Its just that so far they are unable to fix it . They made 3 different attempts to fix it at my house, and they finally took it to their regional repair center over a month ago. Now supposedly they are once again waiting for parts.

Despite my numerous pleas to the Panny consumer help line , they refuse to just replace it.

PS Prior to this I was not a Panny basher, and in fact this was the 3rd Panny plasma I had purchased. I never had any problems with the first two, but then again this was the first time I ever had to use their warranty.
post #12 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 06:44 PM

I had to make the same decision.
Both are really good plasmas and none of them should disappoint you. But for me contrast / black level is most important. But to give you are serious advice here: Wait until the 5080 comes to BB at the end of this month and compare and buy then. I bought the 5080 because to my eyes the 50PZ700u was to dimm because of the 1080p. However in a dark Magnolia Bluray looks awesome on the 700U but the 5070 looks awesome to.
Also don't forget more contrast usually looks sharper because details are more distinct. 1080p or a more contrast picture .... I took the 5080 ( it was also a little! cheaper). I sit 10 feet away, and even if I still believe that 1080p still would bring a tiny bit of improvement, the 5080 is just a big step forward in PDP technique.

Wait for unbiased reviews!!!!

BluRays: 11 (last: Cars & Ratatouille)
HD-DVD: 0
---------------------------------------------
post #13 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry1700 View Post

As far as which is a better buy, you should also consider and factor in how both manufacturers will handle warranty claims. I have never made a Pioneer warranty claim, so I can't comment on their warranty service, but I am in the middle of a Panny warranty claim , and I am not at all impressed.

I had a 50 inch Panny delivered in Jan. It worked for 2 weeks and then it developed a black horizontal band all the way across the TV. The Panny authorized repair center was out for the first time on Jan. 28 and now 4 1/2 months later its still broken. Panasonic doesn't dispute that its broken. Its just that so far they are unable to fix it . They made 3 different attempts to fix it at my house, and they finally took it to their regional repair center over a month ago. Now supposedly they are once again waiting for parts.

Despite my numerous pleas to the Panny consumer help line , they refuse to just replace it.

PS Prior to this I was not a Panny basher, and in fact this was the 3rd Panny plasma I had purchased. I never had any problems with the first two, but then again this was the first time I ever had to use their warranty.

I was thinking of getting a panny from costco since it was so cheap but not after hearing this I'll wait for the pio 5080.
post #14 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had a 50 inch Panny delivered in Jan. It worked for 2 weeks and then it developed a black horizontal band all the way across the TV. The Panny authorized repair center was out for the first time on Jan. 28 and now 4 1/2 months later its still broken. Panasonic doesn't dispute that its broken. Its just that so far they are unable to fix it . They made 3 different attempts to fix it at my house, and they finally took it to their regional repair center over a month ago. Now supposedly they are once again waiting for parts.

good post

dv
post #15 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From the few isssues I have had with Panasonic they stepped up to the plate fully everytime, sometimes going fare out of there way. It does help having your original reseller behind you fighting on the back end too.
post #16 of 189 Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

From the few isssues I have had with Panasonic they stepped up to the plate fully everytime, sometimes going fare out of there way. It does help having your original reseller behind you fighting on the back end too.

after your return policy limitations have expired?

dv
post #17 of 189 Old 06-10-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #18 of 189 Old 06-10-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Will might as well make this a sticky, I know this questions is going to come upand up again.

Both great Panels, tough choice........

it doesnt matter chris. people will still start new threads about it over and over even if there is a sticky.
post #19 of 189 Old 06-10-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:

From the few isssues I have had with Panasonic they stepped up to the plate fully everytime, sometimes going fare out of there way...

Chris,

You have an excellent reputation so I don't doubt you, but all I can say is my one and only real world experience has been the exact opposite. In the world of plasma TVs w rapid price decreases and technological advances, taking 5 months to fix a TV just doesn't cut it. Today I could buy the same TV for $400 less, or I could move up to the 58 inch for just $400 more than I paid for the 50 inch back in Jan.

This has all been really short sighted on the part of Panasonic, because previous to this I was a loyal Panny customer. Also, although I am extremely technologically deficient compared w the average member of this forum, among my friends, co-workers and family I am considered to be the AV "go to" guy for advice when they buy their next TV, and I could never recommend Panny again.

Forum members should be reminded occasionally that you guys are really the elite tip of the iceberg, and the average person on the street looking for their next TV doesn't know or care about 99% of the things you do. However, Joe Sixpack does know that if his big screen breaks while under warranty, he doesn't want to wait for it to be repaired while he misses everything from the Superbowl through the NBA payoffs as I have.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some feed back from fellow members as to the quality of Pioneer's warranty service. I never previously considered Pio because they were always more expensive than Panny, but if they have good warranty service , it would be worth it to me. Also, while I believe my posts are relevant to the initial question of which TV is a better value, I don't mean to high-jack this thread, so if this topic should be moved to a different area, that's fine.

Thanks to everyone.
post #20 of 189 Old 06-10-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ When you get a chance give me a call and I will give you some numbers to people at Panasonic that you would never have acess too

I have no problem sheading some light on manufacturers and the way they treat us at CP and fellow clients, but I will not do it here as all of my stories are not good.
post #21 of 189 Old 06-10-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:

^^^^ When you get a chance give me a call and I will give you some numbers to people at Panasonic that you would never have acess too

I have no problem sheading some light on manufacturers and the way they treat us at CP and fellow clients, but I will not do it here as all of my stories are not good.

Thank you.
post #22 of 189 Old 06-10-2007, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...It does help having your original reseller behind you fighting on the back end too.

Very important indeed. Sometimes we forget that there is more to a purchase than just finding the lowest price.

As for the original question, very few members have seen them side by side and properly set up. Of those that have, some had made up their minds before they ever saw the sets in person. Bottom line, it's too early to tell with any degree of assurance.

Of course many of us have biases, myself included (Pioneer, as I consider contrast more important than resolution). However, opinions are not facts, and you should form your own. As someone said, the wise course would be to wait until you can see them yourself, preferably in more than one setting, as it's easy to come to different conclusions in different stores (even two of the same chain).

If you want to take someone else's word for it, wait until some (hopefully) unbiased professional reviews are in. They're both hot products, so the reviews should be showing up shortly.
post #23 of 189 Old 06-12-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:

....I had a 50 inch Panny delivered in Jan. It worked for 2 weeks and then it developed a black horizontal band all the way across the TV. The Panny authorized repair center came to my house for the first time on Jan. 28 and now 4 1/2 months later its still broken. Panasonic doesn't dispute that its broken. Its just that so far they are unable to fix it . They made 3 different attempts to fix it at my house, and they finally took it to their regional repair center over a month ago. Now supposedly they are once again waiting for parts.

Despite my numerous pleas to the Panny consumer help line , they refuse to just replace it............

Since January I have been trying to get Panny to fix my TV w no luck. I post this over the weekend, and today I get a call from Panny telling me its fixed. Its certainly possible its a coincidence, but I doubt it. It would be easy for Panny to figure out which warranty claim this is, since my name is "Terry" and my posting history shows 90% of my posts have been in the Ft.Wayne HDTV thread.

Chris, even though your offer to help will no longer be needed, I sincerely appreciate it. I will be buying my next TV from Cleveland Plasma.
post #24 of 189 Old 06-12-2007, 06:02 PM

Has anyone had bad experiences with Pioneer warranty service claims.
One bad experience should not be used against Panasonic.
post #25 of 189 Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #26 of 189 Old 06-13-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally got myself over to Abt in north suburban Chicago yesterday afternoon to see the Pioneer 5080 and Panasonic 50PZ750 for myself. (Yes, it really was a 50PZ750. That's one reason I thought some people would be interested in hearing about it. They had a 700 as well, but I've been most interested in the 750.)

First off, they are both very fine TV's. I could be very happy with either. Both had impressive overall PQ, and either held its own with anything else on the floor, including Fujitsu and Elite 1140, which had been my previous favorite. (Possible exception, the B&Os, but they're in a whole different price league.)

However, for black freaks, the 5080 is, as hyped, the hands down winner.

I'm not a black fanatic and I don't worship at the altar of CRT's. I'm not fixated on 1080p either. The only thing I don't like about my three year old Panasonic (aside from wanting a bigger set) is it's black crush. The only time I am at all troubled by any grayness in its black is when I watch some (not all) letter-boxed movies. So this is important to me only in how it affects the overall PQ, including color saturation, not as an end in itself. In this regard, I may have different priorities than some others.

Both sets seemed to still have more black crush than I would like (shadow detail on the B&O was astonishing, but it probably had been calibrated). No doubt both the Pioneer and Panasonic could be significantly improved in this regard by proper calibration though. The salesman dug up the remote and let me change the settings on the Pioneer. I tried various settings including Optimum (which dims the picture as the ambient light drops, and seems similar to the C.A.T.S. mode I currently use on my Panasonic), but I did not fool with the individual adjustments within. Out of torch mode, the 5080 had a great picture, nice color balance with very good skin tones, and, if the blacks on letter-boxed material didn't vanish into the frame, they came close and might even do so in a darkened home setting.

The lighting in the store was not bright, but was not subdued either. Much like my living room on a cloudy day, I'd say. They were using an ordinary HD feed, probably DirecTV, in daytime, which means some was unconverted SD. So conditions were not optimal, but also not unlike those that might be typically encountered in a real world home. The 5080 and 750 were not side by side, but I could see them both at once.

As I had expected, the 750's 1080p didn't impress me as much as it's general PQ, which, other than the blacks, matched the 5080 as far as I took the comparison (I didn't have time yesterday to try different settings on the 750). The 750 was displayed on a wall, directly below an Elite 1140 and above a Samsung xxx68 (don't recall the whole model number, but it tops their new line, and looked better than any Samsung I can recall), and I gave the 750 a slight PQ edge over the 1140, much to my surprise.

I had read all the talk about the 700 "dimness," too, but frankly didn't notice it especially, although the 700 was located some distance from the others. However, the 750 did not appear conspicuously dimmer than the Samsung and Elite 1140, nor compared to the 5080 that was simultaneously visible albeit a few feet away. It might have been slightly less bright, but not enough that it called attention to itself. I'd chalk that up as another overblown concern. Just my opinion, of course.

In fact, on most scenes, the 750 and 5080 pictures seemed quite comparable. However, I was very impressed with the 5080 blacks on letterboxes, which were distinctly darker than the 750 (or anything else in the store, for that matter).

As I mentioned, both would benefit from calibration, and greater calibration flexibility would seem to give the 750 a potential edge, being more comparable to the yet to be released Elite 1150 in that regard, if not quite it's equal). Countering that, though, is Pioneer's traditionally excellent signal processing, especially with poor quality sources.

In the end it will probably come down to 1080p vs ultra blacks for many buyers, both a little over-hyped IMO, but each vital to some. Of course, those for whom money is no object could invest another $1500 in a 5010FD (or even go all the way to a PRO-110FD) and get both.

If I had purchased a set on the spot, it probably would have been the 5080 partly because of the blacks, partly for the video processing. While I doubt most people would be as concerned about the difference in blacks if not viewing the two sets next to each other, to me it would be more significant in a 50 inch set than 1080p. However, I'd want to view the 750's other modes before finally deciding.

If I already owned a 750, though, I wouldn't have second thoughts. It came off as a very competitive offering, at least for those not fixated on black.
post #27 of 189 Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 PM

My local retailer is selling the old Elites at very low prices...I can get the 1140 for less than $3000. I'm looking for opinions on whether the picture quality of the new Pioneer 5080 would be better than the currnet/old Elite?

Thanks.
post #28 of 189 Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I had been considering an Elite for that reason, too. When I saw them all together, I was surprised that I liked both the Panasonic 750 and the 5080 better. I'm sure the 1140 was not calibrated, and it would undoubtedly be greatly enhanced by even a user with DVE, to say nothing of having it done professionally. Nonetheless, if you are hooked on deep, rich blacks, the 5080 is in a class by itself (at least until the new Elites arrive in a few weeks).

On the other hand, if the price is right, the 1140 is a great set, and won't disappoint anyone (except for the aforementioned black freaks). I liked the others better, but not by enough that I'd pay a lot more for them. The 5080 black advantage would be much less apparent to most people when not compared side-by-side. In the store yesterday, a couple of salesmen hadn't noticed until I pointed it out to them. It's very apparent to me, but doesn't jump out at everyone.
post #29 of 189 Old 06-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Macfan424,

Awesome review!

Did you notice much difference between the 700 and 750 Panny's?

thank u.
post #30 of 189 Old 06-14-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

The 700 and 750 were not positioned so I could see them at the same time, but no difference was apparent. I wouldn't expect there to be any, though, until they were calibrated and/or the 750's Studio Reference mode was employed.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page