Need help hooking up my PC to my 50" 700u. Please! :( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, so i bought a VGA cable and plugged it in, and I get no picture or signal at all. My PC is crappy, it's an HP dv6205us. Is there something else I need to do on th PC to activate this? I tried all the different resolutions because I know the Panny has a limit, but still nothing. Any help would be greatlt appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
I checked out your laptop and doesn't seem crappy to me. I couldn't get all the specs though. I don't know what video card your laptop has.

You need to set as dual screen by extending the display to the external monitor, your plasma in this case, or set it as clone mode. Every computers are different so the features may not be the same as others.

Go to the display property and see if your computer is recognizing the plasma monitor. It will show two monitors in the dialog. If it only shows one then something is not setup right. . Keep the vga cable connected and try rebooting the laptop. Also make sure you switch your TV input to PC (VGA). Refer to your manual to verify.

If you have not updated the video driver in a long time try updating to the latest one. Download from internet.

If nothing else, I will walk you through on how to enable Remote Desktop so I can remotely connect to your computer and see what I can find... or we could try PcA.. or VNC, hehe
post #3 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 12:58 PM

To alternate between computer display and external display hit fn + F4.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, trying this out right now. Thanks for the "not crappy" comment, lol. It's just that I only paid $500 for it new, so i wasn't expecting much, but it does perform pretty well. I'll be back.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, progress! So I saw that I could extend my monitor to the TV, however, all I'm seeing is the desktop background, no icons, mouse, nothing. Where do I go from here?
post #6 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 01:56 PM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro94530 View Post

Yes, progress! So I saw that I could extend my monitor to the TV, however, all I'm seeing is the desktop background, no icons, mouse, nothing. Where do I go from here?

Good, we're making progress there. Yea the extend-view will let you view objects (web pages, pictures, etc) to the external monitor. This mode *can* be used for viewing DVD movies on your plasma screen while you can view web pages or whatever in your laptop screen.

You can set the external monitor(plasma) as a "primary monitor" in the display property. It is up to you how you want to manage this.

Also try using "Clone" mode if you have it. More likely this feature may not be available on your laptop.... Like the other member lucif4 said try switching it so only the plasma screen shows up and not your laptop screen. Many laptops have this feature available. Try pressing and hold Fn + F4 keys to see if it'll let you switch it. I don't even know if those keys will work because every laptop is different.. for example my Sony Vaio laptop requires Fn + F7 to switch over to the external monitor. Look at the keys on your laptop and see which one is labeled for switching monitor outputs.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Wierd, so I went to properties, and settings, I selected to extend the desktop, and then chose to use monitor 2 (TV) as the primary, then hit Aplly. For a brief second the full desktop showed up, then disappeared, then showed and disappeared again, then went back to normal. Seemed like some kind of confliction was going on. Haven't been able to get that again. I tried fn + f4, but it didn't work. Do you have to be in a certain window while pressing those keys, or just the desktop? Very frustrated It seems like it will work, but it just isn't for some reason. I'm dying here. Any other thoughts? Also, I see what keys work with the fn button, and it seems to be f4 as it has a little monitor pic on it, but it doesn't do anything...
post #8 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 PM

You have to click "ok" to apply/accept the change you have made. It will prompt you immediately after you make the change. If you don't respond it it will switch back to the previous setting automatically.

Try again and see if it'll prompt you anything.

If nothing else try go back to the original display setting (single, laptop display). And then try pressing and hold Fn + F4.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

I must be an idiot. Went back to original display with just the laptop, and now works like a gem. I guess I had the extended laptop going when I tried f4 + fn. LOL, and oh yes, LOL!!! Thank you once again. You are the man for this!!!
post #10 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 03:23 PM

Hey I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. Have fun!
post #11 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

good work cheezer

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #12 of 12 Old 06-09-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

good work cheezer

yes...very good of you to stay with him and work him through it...hats off to you!!

Remember, what is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page