Wall Mounting height advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I received my Panasonic 50PX600U today. It looks great both physically and picture quality. Tomorrow, my monoprice wall mount arrives. This is a bedroom tv and I would like advice on how high to place the wall mount. I will be watching mostly from my bed that sits 3ft above the floor. Should I put the unit 2 ft higher than my bed? 3ft above or 1ft above? Do I want to be looking straight on level or up a little?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2007, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cutting out a cardboard/news paper with the same dimensions as your 600U's. Tape the mock-up to the wall and test it out.

Cheers,
TP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

I received my Panasonic 50PX600U today. It looks great both physically and picture quality. Tomorrow, my monoprice wall mount arrives. This is a bedroom tv and I would like advice on how high to place the wall mount. I will be watching mostly from my bed that sits 3ft above the floor. Should I put the unit 2 ft higher than my bed? 3ft above or 1ft above? Do I want to be looking straight on level or up a little?

post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2007, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Hans,

My mattress is 29" from the floor and I mounted my set at 65 1/2" to the center of the set and have a tilt of about 5 degrees. With my head propped up by a few pillows I think it is perfect. This is with a 42", I'm going to get a 50 incher soon and think it will also be perfect.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-13-2007, 07:31 PM

I would mount it as low as possible, while making sure you can see the screen over your feet with all the covers over them while lying in bed.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 PM

In my bedroom, the top of my 42" plasma is even with the top of my door frame. I have a tilt mount and it's tilted downwards. If you have it too low, when watching it in bed you can strain your neck. Where it's at, with my head on a pillow, it's very comfortable.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-14-2007, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrain View Post

I would mount it as low as possible, while making sure you can see the screen over your feet with all the covers over them while lying in bed.

I agree. My 40XBR1 is above a dresser and is about 43" to the bottom of the panel. There's approx. 9" of space between the dresser and the bottom of the panel. I have a Focal SibXL center channel mounted in this space. Static mount for the LCD.

- Chip
post #7 of 8 Old 06-15-2007, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I mounted my Panny plasma today. I used a monoprice wall mount that works great. The only thing that will bring my plasma down is an earthquke that topples my house or a fat person hanging from the plasma.

The advice to hang the plasma low is terrible. bgbem, is the only one here who got it right. If my door stands at 6'8", my plasma is one or two inches lower. I have the plasma tilting down 10-15 degrees. It's the perfect height because I don't have to look dow or up, which saves my neck from strain.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-15-2007, 07:31 AM

As tpham suggested, build a mock-up and try it at different heights and locations and make sure you will like the results BEFORE you drill holes in your wall and lift that fragile and heavy TV into position.

If you want to see an example of a TV which is mounted quite high, check out my photos...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=729057

As you will note from the comments on my plasma TV, some people think my TV is way too high. My wife and I have used our TV nearly every day for the past year, and we still think our TV's location in the bedroom is perfect for us. The mock-up was absolutely essential for our planning process. Most people will not need a full 3D foam-core model which we needed to verify that the mount and TV would fit above the door, above the center speaker, and below the sloped ceiling.

DonP
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page