Does Zoomed 4:3 content look abnormal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I own a Samsung DLP and just to see what 4:3 content would look like, I made it full screen. The picture just doesn't look right. Cars, people, buildings, etc look stretched out and boxy. I hear some tvs do this better than others, but am wondering if plasmas follow the same pattern?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, some plasmas zoom and stretch with better results than others.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Yeah, it does look weird using the 16:9 setting on 4:3 content, giving me a headache even when I watch just 5 minutes of it.

I use the Zoom1 function, which fits the 4:3 width to the sides of the screen and keeps the proportions correct, while chopping off some of the top and bottom.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Are you using the stretching mode especially for converting 4:3 to 16:9. The one that strecthes the outer portion of the picture more and might slightly crop the image too. Its usually called just, panaroma, side strecth etc.

They usually look a little better then just stretching the sides of a 4:3 image to 16:9. However, its far from perfect and objects and people still look a little distorted. The mode on some tvs seems to work better then others. I noticed the just mode appears less out of proportoin on my panasonic plasma then using the panorama mode on my Samsung lcd.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
4:3 zoomed, stretched - whatever looked weird on my Samsung DLP.

With my Pio 940 plasma it looks much better - but it's still slightly distorted - but not nearly as bad as it was in my Samsung.

I could never bring myself to look at stretched 4:3 stuff on the DLP but I find myself not minding it nearly as much now with the Pio.

~Bill
post #6 of 6 Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post

I own a Samsung DLP and just to see what 4:3 content would look like, I made it full screen. The picture just doesn't look right. Cars, people, buildings, etc look stretched out and boxy. I hear some tvs do this better than others, but am wondering if plasmas follow the same pattern?

Here are a few good threads, with pictures, discussing the stretch modes on two of the leading brands of Plasma:

Panasonic Consumer and Industrial Model Stretch Modes

Pioneer Consumer Model Stretch Modes

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page