What is the smallest size a plasma comes in? Any issues in high humidity? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > What is the smallest size a plasma comes in? Any issues in high humidity?

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

doogiehowser's Avatar doogiehowser
05:26 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 12
08-10-2007 | Posts: 1,014
I'm considering adding a small plasma to the bathroom. It will be wall mounted. I'd like something small, 32 inches would be perfect. It would be nice to watch the news, or to not miss a half inning of a ballgame. The shower produces a lot of steam, so humidity will be an issue. Smaller screen size is better since the seating distance will be a few feet away.

Edit- even 32 inches may be too big. Do they make a 24" or 27" plasma?
RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters
06:01 PM Liked: 497
post #2 of 12
08-10-2007 | Posts: 17,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

I'm considering adding a small plasma to the bathroom. It will be wall mounted. I'd like something small, 32 inches would be perfect. It would be nice to watch the news, or to not miss a half inning of a ballgame. The shower produces a lot of steam, so humidity will be an issue. Smaller screen size is better since the seating distance will be a few feet away.

Edit- even 32 inches may be too big. Do they make a 24" or 27" plasma?

The smallest plasma available in the US is the Panasonic 37" Industrial model. The smallest plasmas ever sold here were some 32" ED models but they've long been discontinued. LG is apparently making some new 32" models for an Asian (Chinese?) market, and there is talk of making some even smaller sizes.

I'm not aware of any plans to market these in the US though . . . .
07:42 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 12
08-10-2007 | Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The smallest plasma available in the US is the Panasonic 37" Industrial model. The smallest plasmas ever sold here were some 32" ED models but they've long been discontinued. LG is apparently making some new 32" models for an Asian (Chinese?) market, and there is talk of making some even smaller sizes.

I'm not aware of any plans to market these in the US though . . . .

Thanks for the info. I'll look into a 37" Panny, but it might be too big for the space.
Rammitinski's Avatar Rammitinski
12:14 AM Liked: 20
post #4 of 12
08-11-2007 | Posts: 17,437
I wouldn't recommend putting an expensive, intricate electronic device such as a plasma TV in a steamy bathroom.

You're just asking for trouble.
hockeynut's Avatar hockeynut
08:04 AM Liked: 11
post #5 of 12
08-11-2007 | Posts: 1,033
A plasma in the bathroom...LOL. Now i've heard everything!
vjd3's Avatar vjd3
08:13 AM Liked: 10
post #6 of 12
08-11-2007 | Posts: 113
Jeez, a half-inning?
davdev's Avatar davdev
10:36 AM Liked: 11
post #7 of 12
08-11-2007 | Posts: 5,082
have you ever noticed the steam that shows on a mirror when you take a shower. Imagine that on a failry high current electrical device and then tell me if it sounds like a good idea.

At the very least you are going to have to enclose it in glass to prevent moisture problems, but then you are going to run into heat issuesdue to lack of ventilation
Justanopinion's Avatar Justanopinion
12:33 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 12
08-11-2007 | Posts: 205
Panasonic has made 37" as of last year for consumers. I'm not familar if they make a Professional series or not like some others do.

Usually 42" is the starting point for plasma, anything less is usually LCD territory and 32" and under is a big computer screen....also LCD

Some of the technical magazines I read have said plasma makers have technical issues with the smaller screens, it is easier for them to make plasma on the larger sizes.

I don't recomend high humidity and electronics anytime.....only trouble awaits

It's Just An Opinion
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911
12:54 PM Liked: 21
post #9 of 12
08-11-2007 | Posts: 3,085
A friend of mine mounted a 15" lcd in his bathroom and it has worked pretty well. He actually has it recessed into the wall behind a window. There's no longer a need to take a magazine to the crapper.
01:21 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 12
08-11-2007 | Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

have you ever noticed the steam that shows on a mirror when you take a shower. Imagine that on a failry high current electrical device and then tell me if it sounds like a good idea.

At the very least you are going to have to enclose it in glass to prevent moisture problems, but then you are going to run into heat issuesdue to lack of ventilation

Steam is my biggest worry. Since size is an issue, it appears I'll be forced to look at LCD's even though I hate LCD. No contrast, no deep colors. If they ever make a 27" plasma I can always donte the LCD.
01:24 PM Liked: 10
post #11 of 12
08-11-2007 | Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

A friend of mine mounted a 15" lcd in his bathroom and it has worked pretty well. He actually has it recessed into the wall behind a window. There's no longer a need to take a magazine to the crapper.

I like your buddies setup. I think the studs are 3 feet apart, so I could put a 24" LCD in the wall. I'd need to figure out where to buy glass that I can cover the opening in the wall. I'd also need to figure out a way to run a power cord to an outlet. I don't want to drill holes in every stud all the way to the outlet.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911
01:47 PM Liked: 21
post #12 of 12
08-11-2007 | Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

I like your buddies setup. I think the studs are 3 feet apart, so I could put a 24" LCD in the wall. I'd need to figure out where to buy glass that I can cover the opening in the wall. I'd also need to figure out a way to run a power cord to an outlet. I don't want to drill holes in every stud all the way to the outlet.

Yeah, it was easier for him because he just built the house a year ago and framed it all in before any drywall was hung. There's a closet on the other side of the wall so he has an access panel from that side. As for the glass size, there are plenty of places that can cut glass to any size you want, I've heard that Lowe's does but not Home Depot.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread