42PX60U and switching between SD and HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-13-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the above model Panny and am using an HDMI cord between my cable box and TV. ONly other thing hooked up is a DVD player and stereo RX. Regarding the TV, I can't ever switch between HD and SD channels without having to go into the TV's menu and switch between "TV" input and "HDMI". My layout at this part of the menu is:
1. TV
2. component 1
3. component 2
4. HDMI
5. i forget.

So let's say I am watching CBS in SD, I choose option #1 above. BUt, if I want to switch to CBS in HD, in order to avoid pillar bars, I have to switch to #4. Anotherwords, the TV does not adjust aspect ratio automatically. My mother in law has the same TV and their TV switches automatically between SD and HD. What's wierd, is that on their TV, option #1 is listed as "cable", not TV. My cable comes from the wall to the box and from the box to the TV. Do I even need the cable from the box to the TV, if I am using the HDMI from box to TV? Maybe this is the problem???? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2007, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

So I was playing around with my TV last nite and I think I got the aspect ratio think figured out, but in SD, the pics looks worse. I have my TV attached to my STB with an HDMI/DVI cord. Under my STB settings, I chose "Auto DVI" for picture format, instead of fixed. So when I choose the "HDMI" input under the Panny's menu, I can switch between SD and HD channels and the screen is full size, but under the SD channel the pic looks very grainy. HOwever if I switch the Panny's input to "TV", the pic looks much better, but then the sceeen isn't full anymore. I am assuming there is some loss in signal Q, when passing the SD channel through the HDMI/DVI cord versus going direct through the cable coax, but why?
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

no thoughts. eh?
post #4 of 9 Old 08-14-2007, 10:29 PM

OK - Stupid question:

Assuming you're using a cable/sat box (the thing between the wall and the TV) are you using the remote that is for the box or for the TV?

If you are changing channels on the sat/cable box with its own remote, I have no idea why the TV would want to change inputs, unless there is some kind of conflict that the remote has with the TV and think you're pushing the Video button when you change the channels...?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud72 View Post

OK - Stupid question:

Assuming you're using a cable/sat box (the thing between the wall and the TV) are you using the remote that is for the box or for the TV?

If you are changing channels on the sat/cable box with its own remote, I have no idea why the TV would want to change inputs, unless there is some kind of conflict that the remote has with the TV and think you're pushing the Video button when you change the channels...?

Yes, I use the STB remote to change channels. The TV does not change inputs on its own. That is the problem though. If I am watching say CBS in HD on ch 784, I have to set the TV input to "HDMI". Now if I go to the SD CBS channel, I get the pillar bars. The only way to fill the screen is to go to the TV input menu and switch from "HDMI" to "TV". I am assuming the "TV" option uses the signal from the coax coming from the STB rather then the HDMI. It gets to be a PITA when switching between HD and SD channels, cuase I constantly have to change the TV's input to fix the aspect ratio. I thought the TV would adjust itself accordingly, but it does not. I have read the manual that came with Charter's 3250HD box and they say to set the signal output on the box to "Auto DVI" or "fixed". If I use auto DVI, the aspect ratio between HD and SD channels is the same (screen is filled), but the SD pic qulaity looks terrible when TV input is using "HDMI" vs. "TV"
post #6 of 9 Old 08-15-2007, 07:07 AM

The television will retain its aspect settings for 480 content so that you don't need to change it each time you turn it on. However, it will automatically revert to FULL when the signal changes to 1080i or 720p, and then you will need to reset to JUST or whatever setting you use. If your cable box outputs all channels at 1080i or 720p, then the SD channels in HDMI will revert to FULL and will have pillar boxes.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panagurl View Post

The television will retain its aspect settings for 480 content so that you don't need to change it each time you turn it on. However, it will automatically revert to FULL when the signal changes to 1080i or 720p, and then you will need to reset to JUST or whatever setting you use. If your cable box outputs all channels at 1080i or 720p, then the SD channels in HDMI will revert to FULL and will have pillar boxes.

Ah, thanks. this makes sense. I have my cable box signal output set to 1080i. So I should change it to 480 then?
post #8 of 9 Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 AM

what cable box is it? the motorolas and SA have options to pass thorugh the 480 content. On the motorla is 480 overide or something like that you turn it ona nd set it to output the 480 as either 480i or 480p, then you set the other setting for either 720p or 1080i depending on what looks better to you. I found my motorla box sucks when outputing 1080i so I leave it at 720p. if you just set the box to output 480 then all your HD channels will be downconverted
post #9 of 9 Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

The STB is a SA3250HD. Since I have an HDMI/DVI cord attached, the "pass through" option is not available. Only"Auto DVI", "upconvert 1", "upconvert 2" and "fixed". The manual recommends using the auto dvi option and says it will convert signal to best aspect ratio for TV.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page