Energy Company Surge Protector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-27-2007, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wasn't sure if this was in the right place or not so my apologies if it needs to be moved.

I'm looking to buy a plasma in the next month or so and just happened to get a pamphlet in the mail from my local energy company (Duke Energy) about their StrikeStop surge protection service.

The gist of it is that its supposed to stop power surges at the meter so they never enter your home's electrical system. In addition there is a $2 a month monetary coverage fee you can pay which covers surges that could enter your home through other means than electric (voice, data, video).

Has anyone else heard of this before? Anyone using it? The one time charge is about as much as a good surge protector but I just don't know if I'd feel safe without one. I'm anxious to hear if anyone else has any experience with these or has heard of them. I usually have power outages 2-3 times a year here so its not terribly frequent (I think), but for the amount of money I'm spending for the TV I wouldn't be opposed to an extra layer of protection if its worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyboy View Post

I wasn't sure if this was in the right place or not so my apologies if it needs to be moved.

I'm looking to buy a plasma in the next month or so and just happened to get a pamphlet in the mail from my local energy company (Duke Energy) about their StrikeStop surge protection service.

The gist of it is that its supposed to stop power surges at the meter so they never enter your home's electrical system. In addition there is a $2 a month monetary coverage fee you can pay which covers surges that could enter your home through other means than electric (voice, data, video).

Has anyone else heard of this before? Anyone using it? The one time charge is about as much as a good surge protector but I just don't know if I'd feel safe without one. I'm anxious to hear if anyone else has any experience with these or has heard of them. I usually have power outages 2-3 times a year here so its not terribly frequent (I think), but for the amount of money I'm spending for the TV I wouldn't be opposed to an extra layer of protection if its worth it.

After the initial payment thats 24 bucks a year. If you have to catalog all of your applications (including frig, microwave ect.) and they will pay replacement price, to me that sounds like a good value.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 PM

They are trying to rent you a device to protect you from them?

What kind of scam is this?

If they provided clean power it wouldn't be an issue.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
This sounds like an MSA (meter socket adaptor). I'm not on Duke, but I have one from my local utility. The warranty on mine does not include electronics, so you may want to take a closer look at that. It basically covers "white" appliances (refrigerators, oven, AC unit, etc). I'm still expected to have surge suppression devices for electronics.

Quote:

post #5 of 14 Old 08-28-2007, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha...I know there was a list of things that were covered and I thought I saw other things other than the "white" appliances but I'll double check. Like you I'll still probably have surge protection devices for my main electronics but the extra coverage may be worth it.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 PM

I've heard some other forum members say that they have whole-house surge protectors and still use surge protectors on their electronics. I believe that they installed the surge protectors at their breaker box and do not have to pay a monthly fee to the utility company for it. That might be another alternative to look at.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-28-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 394
^^^^ A certified electrician in your area cold help anyone out. I heard a surge unit for the whole breaker box is only $100-$200 and will surge protect everything in your house. Problem is a certified electrician wants $400-$800 to put it in. But just think no surge units needed anywhere in your home, NICE !!
post #8 of 14 Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Exactly! This unit will run around $170 so the pricing seems to be in line with what you've stated above. And I'm looking to not just protect my plasma (which will have another surge protector) but my other electronics and appliances as well. I think I may end up going with it.

From another Ohio guy......O! H!........I! O!
post #9 of 14 Old 08-29-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yeah...I would certainly verify what their coverage policy is. With a decent power condition/surge protector, you will usually also get a warranty that covers any ruined equipment up to $XXXXX.XX, so I would get a unit as well. YMMV

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #10 of 14 Old 08-29-2007, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The OP may want to read this:

http://www.panamax.com/literature/pd...ousesystem.pdf

If the Duke power protection coverage pays for damage from lightning strikes or lesser surges to "white" appliances, then it is a bargain. Homeowners insurance covers direct lightning claims but not plain power surges. Of course the HO policy will have a deductible you have to pay, so the Duke option may cover your deductible at least.

"The truth is out there!"
post #11 of 14 Old 08-29-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly! This unit will run around $170 so the pricing seems to be in line with what you've stated above. And I'm looking to not just protect my plasma (which will have another surge protector) but my other electronics and appliances as well. I think I may end up going with it.
From another Ohio guy......O! H!........I! O!

yes, if it is a Whole House Surge protector they are offering that is what is wanted and then use a Series Mode type surge protector such as a ZeroSurge or Brickwall unit at the individual outlets where your A/V equipment will be hooked up to

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #12 of 14 Old 08-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^^ A certified electrician in your area cold help anyone out. I heard a surge unit for the whole breaker box is only $100-$200 and will surge protect everything in your house. Problem is a certified electrician wants $400-$800 to put it in. But just think no surge units needed anywhere in your home, NICE !!

I paid a lot less than that for a pair of whole house surge protector that just install directly in the breaker box like a breaker does. One for each side of the box. I may have had to open the panel to screw down a ground wire, but it was trivial and I didn't have to work with any hot wires. It has a red light on it that indicates if it's still protecting.

It was made by a company called T & L Electric, but I can't find them on the web. I bought it at a local lighting supply store that sells to contractors and consumers.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-29-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^^ A certified electrician in your area cold help anyone out. I heard a surge unit for the whole breaker box is only $100-$200 and will surge protect everything in your house. Problem is a certified electrician wants $400-$800 to put it in.

My (certified) electrician put it in for less than $100! Said it was a piece of cake!

Quote:

But just think no surge units needed anywhere in your home, NICE !!

Not so. The whole-house unit protects everything from surges coming in over the supply AC. Surges induced in the house are possibly rampant, so local devices may still be useful.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #14 of 14 Old 02-10-2013, 05:46 PM

I've also been looking into surge protection for my home and saw on Leviton site that their meter socket model list for $255. With Duke's offering plas the monetary policy could be a win deal! LEVITON does offer up to $25,000 protection. The only question I have is what happens when it goes out sooner than you expected it?
Caution: If you have any othe outside appliances like the AC... I would call an Electrician to help you!
The one point I need to make is The electric company may promise clean power but it cannot protect you from lightening strikes. This becomes the property owners responsibilities!

I suggest going to these pages of LEVITON to get a better understanding of what we're dealing with... http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=37748&minisite=10251 and this one... http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=39954&minisite=10251 on page four can show you what different devices can do... Look for "Surge Protective Device Brochure" in the lower right corner and click on it to download the brouchure.
I believe I'll call my electrician to protect my house.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page