Maximum height you should put a Plasma 50" on a wall - AVS Forum
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Maximum height you should put a Plasma 50" on a wall
carlosakrami's Avatar carlosakrami 05:45 PM 09-03-2007
I want to put a plasma tv above a fireplace (that is gas and is ver very rarely used). Is that too high? I've heard that you could easily place a Plasma tv too high and it will be hard to look at? Any suggestions.

What is the max height that you think a Plasma TV be?

GC3's Avatar GC3 06:03 PM 09-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosakrami View Post

I want to put a plasma tv above a fireplace (that is gas and is ver very rarely used). Is that too high? I've heard that you could easily place a Plasma tv too high and it will be hard to look at? Any suggestions.

tilt mount...

mine is 60" high but i wouldn't put it any higher...ii have a 58" display tilted and 15 degrees or as close as i can get it to that angle....sit about 12+ feet back so the viewing angle isn't that severe... recommend mounting just enough to place a center channel speaker on the fireplace mantel and the bottom of the display clears it
Javatango's Avatar Javatango 11:20 PM 09-03-2007
GC3, do you have your 58" display mounted above a fireplace? I have similar viewing requirements for my future plasma - 12+ ft viewing distance and high mounted above a fireplace. I'm trying to picture how the center channel would look. I would love to see a picture of your setup.
GC3's Avatar GC3 09:18 PM 09-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatango View Post

GC3, do you have your 58" display mounted above a fireplace? I have similar viewing requirements for my future plasma - 12+ ft viewing distance and high mounted above a fireplace. I'm trying to picture how the center channel would look. I would love to see a picture of your setup.

we discussed this issue briefly in this thread if you want a couple other opinions

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=11346352

here are a couple of pics...the movie scene is from "hot fuzz" which by the way is an excellent dvd for picture quality and sound. the colors are not true to what is displayed...my camera put a slightly blue cast on the picture of the display...i'm sure there's a scientific explanation

for reference purpose, the fireplace mantle is 59" across..
http://gc3.smugmug.com/gallery/3328531#185302471
http://gc3.smugmug.com/gallery/3328531#185302459

mount is peerless st660...the forward tilt seems to eliminate/minimize any glare/reflections from outside light...there are windows all over the place
kucharsk's Avatar kucharsk 06:01 AM 09-06-2007
Quote:

The ideal position of any plasma is at eye height or slightly below. Sit in your viewing location and look straight ahead; that should be somewhere between the center and top of your display.
tpham's Avatar tpham 12:55 PM 09-06-2007
Best bet is to create a template based on the plasma's dimension and tape it to the location where it will be mounted.

Cheers,
TP.

Quote:

Up
Mobile  Desktop