New Panasonic Plasmas TH-42PZ77 & TH-50PZ77 NO PRICE TALK! - Page 80 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2371 of 2395 Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own the 50PZ77. I have read a few professional reviews of this model and they have concluded that the anti-glare screen works well. However, I've also read that many owners of this model think that the anti-glare screen diminishes the picture quality. Complaints like "lack of pop" and "muted picture" come to mind. Most of them go onto say that the PZ700 without the anti-glare is better. I would like to know what the sales staff who worked with both TV's would say when comparing picture quality. Is there really much difference between the two TV's picture quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2395 Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Just picked up the 42PZ77 here in Tampa for 800.00 off the box price and I must say I haven't even tweaked the thing yet (will get to that in a minute) and it is ALREADY the best TV I have *EVER* demoed! Almost *EVERY SINGLE TIME* I bring a TV home or have one delivered I immediately have complaints. My last acquisition, the Sharp 46" 62U Series had the infamous "clouds" right out of the box, and wasn't that impressive. *This* thing however, almost gives Pioneer's PRO-FHD1 a serious run for it's money despite the size difference, and that was the tv I was originally going to buy. Only the Deep Encased Cell Structure of the Pio's (read crispness) can not be matched by the Pana sets. So in other words, the additional cost, size, and WEIGHT for a tiny apartment dweller like me, makes the 50" Pio unable to compete with the phenomenal value in this Panasonic.

Anyhow, I was curious if there was any way to access the menus from the set itself? I don't understand WHY manufacturers keep going back and forth on this stupid and obvious feature. Sony for the longest time never put the menu controls on the front panel and then they started doing it on EVERY model back in the day, now manufacturers are going back to practically no controls on the front.

I have a universal remote that almost works everything except for the "ENTER" button of the normal Menu. I can get into the menu, but I cant advance forward in it. As my TV was missing the remote, I guess I'll have to track one down.
post #2373 of 2395 Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unfortuantely, my 50PZ77U died after a loud "pop" (like a cap blow off or something) and shut down itself after I got it 1 and half month ago (not even through burn in hours since I only watched average less than 2 hour per day, not keen to use burn-in DVD either even I had a copy). The red LED was blinking 10 times and pause. Anyone knows this error code? I saw 7 blinks in early thread. The Panasonic service person was scheduled, but 3 days away (he had not called me yet). And it would be big dramer again to take it down from the wall and re-connect all these cables. Frankly, I was very disppointed with the quality they have. I just donated my 10 years 25" TV (running very solid after 4 movings). And my 8 years old Sony Wega TV was still doing perfect after 3 house moving. I could not imagine for such an expansive plasma would have problem within 50 hours usage. If it was power supply issue, I might take the repair. Otherwise, I will demand for a new set.

By the way, the picture was great even I set all 0 during burn-in period. And anti-glare worked perfect well in my very lit open living-room/nook/kitchen area (many big windows). After seeing pz80/85 thread, I am very satisfy my 77U. But now, I really worried about the quality.
post #2374 of 2395 Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 AM

I currently have a 42" Philips LCD (7403), but I am seriously considering returning it for the 42PZ77U. I have heard that burn in is a serious issue when playing games. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.
post #2375 of 2395 Old 06-20-2008, 10:50 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb51779 View Post

I currently have a 42" Philips LCD (7403), but I am seriously considering returning it for the 42PZ77U. I have heard that burn in is a serious issue when playing games.

Anyone have any advice?

Yes. Read the Master Burn-In thread stickied at the top of this forum - this is where all such questions are supposed to be asked:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949107

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #2376 of 2395 Old 06-20-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the info Randy.
post #2377 of 2395 Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 AM

hello..

sorry for noob question... but I was just wondering something...

I've read that the new Vieira model TH-42PZ85U support 24p native reproduction while TH-42PZ77U does 3:2 pulldown to display 24p content (pls correct me if I'm wrong)

My question is: how different is the 85 series compare to the 77? Can you really tell the difference? Or is it basically the same thing?

I just recently purchased TH-42PZ77U and wondering if I should spend a bit more to upgrade to TH-42PZ85U.. the 3 HDMI should help to in the future..
post #2378 of 2395 Old 07-10-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampret View Post

hello..

sorry for noob question... but I was just wondering something...

I've read that the new Vieira model TH-42PZ85U support 24p native reproduction while TH-42PZ77U does 3:2 pulldown to display 24p content (pls correct me if I'm wrong)

My question is: how different is the 85 series compare to the 77? Can you really tell the difference? Or is it basically the same thing?

I just recently purchased TH-42PZ77U and wondering if I should spend a bit more to upgrade to TH-42PZ85U.. the 3 HDMI should help to in the future..

I can't speak for the new 85 model but as I understand it 24fps is to help eliminate jitter...I have never noticed any jitter on my 77. I think it is more marketing BS than anything.

The 3 hdmi's now is another thing...and I'm sure it will be helpful. I myself got an Oppo switcher (than I believe Randy recommended). It has priority ports and auto-switches...very nice
post #2379 of 2395 Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderRodney View Post

I can't speak for the new 85 model but as I understand it 24fps is to help eliminate jitter...I have never noticed any jitter on my 77. I think it is more marketing BS than anything.

The 3 hdmi's now is another thing...and I'm sure it will be helpful. I myself got an Oppo switcher (than I believe Randy recommended). It has priority ports and auto-switches...very nice

hey thanks for the response.. that's what I figured.. and 24fps is mostly used for movie content right? I wonder if I'm really gonna notice the difference compared side by side...

I actually am really interested with the anti-glare that 77 offered (since I'm very paranoid about glare). I wonder why they discontinued this feature in this year's model...
post #2380 of 2395 Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:

I actually am really interested with the anti-glare that 77 offered (since I'm very paranoid about glare). I wonder why they discontinued this feature in this year's model...

Same reason I went for it It does an outstanding job with glare but I think it does make it very hard to calibrate this set to your liking. Thankfully with the service menu tweaks and other tips posted in the pz77 tweak thread my set is now jaw dropping

I think the aggressive anti-glare coating and often washed out appearance (especially in store displays) caused them to discontinue it...which is too bad seeing how many DO like it on here.
post #2381 of 2395 Old 07-10-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Same reason I went for it It does an outstanding job with glare but I think it does make it very hard to calibrate this set to your liking. Thankfully with the service menu tweaks and other tips posted in the pz77 tweak thread my set is now jaw dropping

I think the aggressive anti-glare coating and often washed out appearance (especially in store displays) caused them to discontinue it...which is too bad seeing how many DO like it on here.

I'd sacrifice a bit of PQ to get anti-glare.. really.. the reason I'm not getting LCD is because of the blurriness.. even on 120hz set! gives me a headache..

So you never experience jitter on your 77 set right? I think that's good enough for me...

2 HDMIs are probably good enough for now... cable box only accept up to 1080i right, so I guess component cable is enough?
post #2382 of 2395 Old 07-11-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:

I'd sacrifice a bit of PQ to get anti-glare.. really.. the reason I'm not getting LCD is because of the blurriness.. even on 120hz set! gives me a headache..

So you never experience jitter on your 77 set right? I think that's good enough for me...

2 HDMIs are probably good enough for now... cable box only accept up to 1080i right, so I guess component cable is enough?

I've used component and HDMI with my HR20 and I can't tell much difference....but I did go ahead and get this because I wanted my compy hooked up to it as well:

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-HM-31-Cer.../dp/B000UQCAKW

So now I have the HR20 on HDMI 1 and the Oppo on 2 with the PS3, Toshiba A30, and my compy
post #2383 of 2395 Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:

I've used component and HDMI with my HR20 and I can't tell much difference....but I did go ahead and get this because I wanted my compy hooked up to it as well:

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-HM-31-Cer.../dp/B000UQCAKW

So now I have the HR20 on HDMI 1 and the Oppo on 2 with the PS3, Toshiba A30, and my compy

Yeah I might get that as well when it's time..

Btw my set just got arrived yesterday night... it's beautiful.. no scratches, no dead pixel.. I feel like a kid on christmas morning Haven't really figure out the setting though... might just leave everything on 0 for a while... I know 'proper' break in might not be necessary.. but just in case...

Anyway you mentioned that you used it for computer.. how does it look like? what's the distance you're using it? did you use DVI-HDMI cable for it?
post #2384 of 2395 Old 07-11-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Yeah I might get that as well when it's time..

Btw my set just got arrived yesterday night... it's beautiful.. no scratches, no dead pixel.. I feel like a kid on christmas morning Haven't really figure out the setting though... might just leave everything on 0 for a while... I know 'proper' break in might not be necessary.. but just in case...

Anyway you mentioned that you used it for computer.. how does it look like? what's the distance you're using it? did you use DVI-HDMI cable for it?

Yep DVI-HDMI cable and it looks fantastic. I only use it for media clips and the such...some games. It is right next to my compy so I figured why not. My normal viewing distance for tv is about 8 feet, for games sometimes I sit in my desk chair and get about 4-5 feet

If you haven't heard of them....monoprice is the ONLY place to get cables. HDMI, DVI, networking, you name it they have it...and cheap/great quality
post #2385 of 2395 Old 07-11-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Yep DVI-HDMI cable and it looks fantastic. I only use it for media clips and the such...some games. It is right next to my compy so I figured why not. My normal viewing distance for tv is about 8 feet, for games sometimes I sit in my desk chair and get about 4-5 feet

If you haven't heard of them....monoprice is the ONLY place to get cables. HDMI, DVI, networking, you name it they have it...and cheap/great quality

LOL

yeah.. I got all of my cables from monoprice... their price is sweeeeeet..

One of my computer monitor just died last week, and the other one got a big, red, dead pixel right in the middle of the screen.. so I might just plug my comp into the TV to substitute them..
post #2386 of 2395 Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 AM

I have the following tv, TH-42PZ77U. I have basic cable on TW and get about 6 "clear Qam" HD channels. The are as follows

88.1 - (ABC or NBC or CBS) - Not sure what it was
88.2 - (ABC or NBC or CBS) - Not sure what it was
88.3 - WNED
89.1 - (ABC or NBC or CBS) - Not sure what it was
106.1 - FOX
106.2 - My Network TV
10* (CAnt remeber off hand) but it was another Wned Theater or something
111.4 - TBS

Last week I had to connect a pair of rabbit ears to watch the football game on CBS in HD (Our cable provider is feuding) and when I did that I had to rescan for antenna. This works and I watched the game. When I was done I connected the cable back up and rescanned the TV for both analog and digital with cable.

Well it found all my music choice channels, found the 111.4 channel and several others I do not care to watch. It did not find

88.1 - (ABC or NBC or CBS) - Not sure what it was
88.2 - (ABC or NBC or CBS) - Not sure what it was
88.3 - WNED
89.1 - (ABC or NBC or CBS) - Not sure what it was
106.1 - FOX
106.2 - My Network TV

When I manually go to these channels and type in 88.1 it will say channel not available.

Now if I type in 88 it will display the "snow" for a few seconds and then (NOt always) will display the 88.1 channel in HD. 88.1 is NBC and it will display it. I can hit the recall and see its in 1080I. If I tyoe in 89 it will display the WNED HD channel. Now this will not do it every time I type that channel but it will do it most of the time. Now I can type in 106 and when it works, it displays FOX. Now I cannot see the other channels. like 106-2 or 88-2.

I called and spoke with time warner and they say nothing has changed. I posted on these forums for the buffalo ny region and got replies stating the channels are still there in the same spot.

Someone suggested possible that the channel bank is messed up. Now I have done the following

1) reset tv using the reset option in setup
2) discconneced power some an extending perod of time
3) upgraded to the newest firmware on panasonics website
4) called tech support and they are mailing me out(The same firmware) for me to try again

my question is, has anyone seen this issue?
Is my TV fubar?
post #2387 of 2395 Old 09-05-2009, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Need some help with my 42" PZ77U. For about two months the TV has been giving off a buzzing/chirping noise at random times. I have noticed that it often occurs during really dark sections of video, but it doesn't really have a pattern. However, when the picture has a lot of movement it very rarely occurs.

I know that these panasonics had some power supply issues and was wondering if that was the problem? I have had the set for just under two years, but the chirping noise is getting very annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #2388 of 2395 Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Is the TH-42PZ77 capable of 120 hz playback?
post #2389 of 2395 Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No, you're thinking of the 120hz that's advertised for LCD TV's, to reduce motion blur.

Plasma's work differently. You won't see any motion blur on the Plasma.
post #2390 of 2395 Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post

Need some help with my 42" PZ77U. For about two months the TV has been giving off a buzzing/chirping noise at random times. I have noticed that it often occurs during really dark sections of video, but it doesn't really have a pattern. However, when the picture has a lot of movement it very rarely occurs.

I know that these panasonics had some power supply issues and was wondering if that was the problem? I have had the set for just under two years, but the chirping noise is getting very annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mine is doing the same thing. Just over 2 years old. Did you find out what the cure is?
post #2391 of 2395 Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Liked: 12
Hopefully mine does not start this or it will be time for a new 54" S series. Any updates on this problem?
post #2392 of 2395 Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 AM

This issue has been around for a long time but I've seen no mentions of a fix.
When watching over the air broadcast HD and a high contrast image comes up and sound will garble (I've read "chirp" and "crackle" too). Because this usually only happens during closing credits or commercials it's not too big of a deal for me. But I don't think the other 10 people who don't have cable should have to put up with it.
I think it's a hardware issue personally. And thus there is no solution. Someday my HTPC will take over the tuning and all will be better. But that day always seem to be in the future.
post #2393 of 2395 Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 AM

I thought I'd bump the previous post during daytime hours.
How many people have the garbled sound problem?
post #2394 of 2395 Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 PM

I just moved and had to unmounted my tv from the wall bummed I don't have the pedestal stand ---- Im not sure were to find one at a resonable price any help would be great
post #2395 of 2395 Old 07-20-2013, 03:32 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigirox View Post

I just moved and had to unmounted my tv from the wall bummed I don't have the pedestal stand ---- Im not sure were to find one at a resonable price any help would be great

EBay would be your best bet, but be advised that the only stand that will fit your TH-50PZ77U is the TBL2AX00171 that's listed in your TV's owners manual (there's one on Ebay right now). Make sure any stand you find has the exact same part number as the one shown in your manual - nothing else will fit correctly regardless of what some Ebay sellers claim in their auctions on the various stands. And make sure it comes with the two aluminum upright posts and all the screws (some are sold with these parts missing).

Premier Mounts also made a universal pedestal stand that sells for $100-$150 but i think it may have been discontinued.

Are you sure you don't have the original stand in it's box stashed away in the garage or attic or closet etc?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page