TH-50PH10UK vs. TH-50PX77U (and help on total AV set-up) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been lurking for months trying to soak up the collective wisdom on display here. I am doing a brand new home theatre and am desperately trying to make an educated buy. I am going to buy a plasma this week and have tentatively decided I will do either the TH-50PH10UK or the TH-50PX77U. I am going to wallmount it, so I won't need the stand. I plan on subscribing to a satellite service for HD programming. I guess I would need to do a hdmi slot on the pro-series, too. I also am going to buy an audio set-up, also. I am clueless as to what I should go with there. I really would only like to spend $1,000 to $1,500 on the audio side which would include speakers and receiver (will probably buy the dvd player later once the "hd war" is settled. Again, really clueless on exactly what kind of cables i should be using on the audio side. And yes, I realize this is a plasma thread, but I figured that the experts here could lead me toward not only the best tv between the two, but also what would be a good complimentary audio set-up. Once I get some good suggestions on the audio side, I'll start a thread there to get some finer tuning on that aspect. Please feel free to suggest where to buy, also. Someone said Fry's was good, but they aren't carrying either of these models currently. Simply private message me if you don't want it up for the masses to see. Thanks. Trying to move outta noob-ville!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-12-2007, 12:35 PM

i have the costco equivalent of the 50px77u (50pc77u) and i love it so far. price was not half bad for a B&M store and they extended the manufacturers warranty for an extra year, so 2 years total. the 77u has an anti-glare coating which im not sure if the 10UK does, that may be something to consider depending on your viewing area. dont think you can really go wrong with a panasonic plasma.

after google searching through the audio section of this forum i am now overwhelmed as to the number of viable options that exist for building a decent HT setup for the $1,000-$1500 price range. a popular option is a refurbished HK AVR receiver from eBay and speakers from audioadvisor.com, **********, ascendacoustics, svsound.com and a BIC-100 sub or X-SLS sub from ********** or entry level velodyne. i made the mistake of buying a HTIB and now am seriously regretting it.

if by cables you are not speaking of speaker wire then you will need either a coaxial cable or toslink (fiberoptic) cable to carry digital sound signals (dolby digital, DTS, etc.) monoprice.org is an great place to purchase cables.

try invision displays or plasma concepts or cleveland plasma if you can't find a local B&M store that carries these sets and don't mind having it shipped. all have excellent reviews with pretty much 100% satisfaction rates from all who have purchased from them.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks alot for the response. That will get me started on the audio side as to where to do a little more research. I really am not familiar with most of the sites you spoke of, but I'll give it a shot. Anyway, how is the anti-glare screen. I have heard both good and bad. I have windows to the left and right of where the tv will be mounted, but nothing really in front of the tv. I don't know if I really need the anti-glare screen. But, as long as it doesn't affect the pq, it can't hurt to have it for later on down the road.

Any idea if these dealers will come down off their prices at all? Any experience with that? I want to get the best deal possible because having to do the entire home theatre at once is going to hurt the wallet for a while. I didn't know if maybe their was an online store that would discount the 77u much. I figured that the 10uk would probably have less of an incentive for a store to slash prices since it is so new. But, I could be wrong. That would be one of those good kinds of wrong. Suggestions?
post #4 of 19 Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Look at it like this....

The 77U will give you simplicity. Regardless, if you don't need the stand or speakers it comes as an added bonus. Also it looks like you will need HDMI. So this contains all of the features you will need.

As far as the 10UK. It is only a display. However, you get better picture adjustment, with the gamma and temp control. It allow you to dial into a better picture than the 77U. Also with the ability to upgrade different boards, their is much better flexbility than the 77U. If you don't care about the other features then this display will be a great fit for you.

Both will priced similar. However, for the 10UK would be the best choice for a great picture.

Chris
post #5 of 19 Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I've been leaning toward the pro-series. My only question is being such a complete and utter noob on this stuff, will I even be able to adjust the 10uk easily enough to warrant going with it over the 77u? Or for that matter, should i just stick with the 75u for less money? I really don't know. What is it about the 10uk that makes it about the same as the 77u even though it doesn't come with some consumer accessories? I'm pretty torn actually. That's why I'm kind of waiting for someone to push me over the edge. I'm sure I would be satisfied either way, but it would make me feel a lot better if I thought I was making an educated decision. Once again, thanks for your help.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Henahan View Post

I've been leaning toward the pro-series. My only question is being such a complete and utter noob on this stuff, will I even be able to adjust the 10uk easily enough to warrant going with it over the 77u? Or for that matter, should i just stick with the 75u for less money? I really don't know. What is it about the 10uk that makes it about the same as the 77u even though it doesn't come with some consumer accessories? I'm pretty torn actually. That's why I'm kind of waiting for someone to push me over the edge. I'm sure I would be satisfied either way, but it would make me feel a lot better if I thought I was making an educated decision. Once again, thanks for your help.

You are making a great choice with the 10UK. If you don't trust me take a look at the TH50PHD7UY and TH50PH9UK thread. The pics will blow you away!

Chris
post #7 of 19 Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Wow-
Those pictures look great. Of course, I have no idea what all those cards are that he's talking about. But, I'm not running mine on a laptop anyway. Does anybody know if there is going to be a big enough improvement in picture quality to justify spending more for the pro-series (w/ hdmi board)? what about affected picture quality with the anti-glare screen? Oh yeah, Cree, thanks for the info. Every little bit helps.
Matt
post #8 of 19 Old 10-04-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can a 1080p source (PS3) be used with the 9 or 10UK? How are the scalers in the Professional series?
post #9 of 19 Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
The pro series is great and looks sleek with that thin frame, but keep in mind that you will probably have to spend more $$ to customize it with input boards and will likely need a more expensive A/V receiver to provide video switching for all your inputs. Even if you buy an HDMI blade, you will have one HDMI and one component input. If you have a cable box, a regular DVD player, a video game system, and/or a hi-def player, you're already running out of inputs and will need a receiver with HDMI switching to handle all of the video.

With a consumer model, it's got 2 HDMI and 2 component inputs built right in, open the box and you're ready to go. That's why it's intended for a "consumer" audience, because you don't have to fiddle with it and buy extra stuff to get everything to work right.

Not that the pro models aren't great, it's just something to think about -- how much do you really want to tinker? are you going to get it professionally calibrated? if not, you may not ever see the picture benefits of the pro model.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10 of 19 Old 10-04-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I am waiting to hear Matt's review on this unit...

Chris
post #11 of 19 Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Get the professional you will be very happy you did. There are not any special difficulties of these displays as some people seem to expect. You can use component inputs and they work excellent or buy one or two HDMI input boards if you need them. The professional pannys have the best picture quality and they look excellent wall mounted a very attractive looking display.

When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming and scared like the other three people in his car!
post #12 of 19 Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone used a PS3 with a 10UK? Want to know if it can display a 1080p source?
post #13 of 19 Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Has anyone used a PS3 with a 10UK? Want to know if it can display a 1080p source?

Anyone?
post #14 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know someone knows the answer to this question?
post #15 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know someone knows the answer to this question?

According to Panasonic's specification charts The TH-50PH10UK can receive 1080p with component or VGA inputs, however it cannot receive 1080p input with HDMI with the TY-FB8HM HDMI input board however another HDMI input board is to be introduced for the 10UK series which I believe will input 1080p.

Here is a link to the specification chart:
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...H-50PH10UK.pdf

When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming and scared like the other three people in his car!
post #16 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGuy View Post

According to Panasonic's specification charts The TH-50PH10UK can receive 1080p with component or VGA inputs, however it cannot receive 1080p input with HDMI with the TY-FB8HM HDMI input board however another HDMI input board is to be introduced for the 10UK series which I believe will input 1080p.

Here is a link to the specification chart:
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...H-50PH10UK.pdf

Thanks.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 08:31 AM

The 15pin input can be configured as component video input as well.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post

The 15pin input can be configured as component video input as well.

Since the monitor does not have speakers, no real need to carry audio, is there a DVI blade that can be used to display 1080p resolution (PS3 [HDMI] > [DVI] Monitor)?
post #19 of 19 Old 10-17-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Since the monitor does not have speakers, no real need to carry audio, is there a DVI blade that can be used to display 1080p resolution (PS3 [HDMI] > [DVI] Monitor)?

From everything I've read while doing research lately (my soon to be received 50" 10UK will be replacing my 42" 8UK), most folks hook up the PS3 via HDMI and set the output to 1080i.

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" -- Thomas Jefferson
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page