Humming buzzing noise from your plasma tv?? How loud? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I am the owner of a Pioneer 4280HD plasma. This tv is great, but I can hear a buzzing humming sound from tv when the volume is really low, or muted, sitting 10 feet away from the tv. Now apparently some hum from a plasma is normal - it a result of the plasma cells working - you should be able to hear it if you put your ear right up to the tv, or maybe within a foot or two of it.

My question is do you hear this sound coming from your plasma when you are further away than 2 feet. Do you ever notice the sound while sitting back in your couch with the volume really low? You might notice it the most when your tv has been on for several hours (or all day). If you do, I am particularly interested in what brand you are experiencing this with.

This buzz might be enough of a deal breaker to make me return this and switch to a different brand - it's really annoying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-15-2007, 09:36 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxtrev View Post

I am the owner of a Pioneer 4280HD plasma. This tv is great, but I can hear a buzzing humming sound from tv when the volume is really low, or muted, sitting 10 feet away from the tv. Now apparently some hum from a plasma is normal - it a result of the plasma cells working - you should be able to hear it if you put your ear right up to the tv, or maybe within a foot or two of it.

My question is do you hear this sound coming from your plasma when you are further away than 2 feet. Do you ever notice the sound while sitting back in your couch with the volume really low? You might notice it the most when your tv has been on for several hours (or all day). If you do, I am particularly interested in what brand you are experiencing this with.

This buzz might be enough of a deal breaker to make me return this and switch to a different brand - it's really annoying!

If you can hear any buzzing from more than a few feet then the TV is defective and needs to be replaced. Buzzing is a common defect among plasma TVs regardless of brand. It has nothing to do with the plasma cells working; usually it's a defective board or a power supply problem or something like that.

My new Panny PZ700U is virtually silent at 2 feet away, even at 4 in the morning in a completely silent room. My older PX50U is silent at 3 feet away, and that's after it's gotten louder over the past two years. I consider anything worse than my experience to be abnormal and unacceptable.

Have it exchanged for a good one

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 11 Old 09-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxtrev View Post

Hey everyone,

My Pioneer 150-FD is the same. The Buzz is clearly audible from 10 feet at regular volume TV viewing, when there are breaks in dialog. It gets louder with brighter content on the screen. It is enough of an issue that I will need to get it addressed. I do have noisy power at my house (all electronics have buzzing transformers), but I think it is likely the panel itself. I think this is standard on Pioneer. That some don't hear it likely has more to do with their room acoustics than panel differences.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I definitely get some buzzing from my 940 Elite also. Viewing distance is around 6-7 feet and you can hear it from there. Obviously it's more noticeable when there's a bright (or white) screen.

~Bill
post #5 of 11 Old 09-27-2007, 12:40 PM

Liked: 13
Try having Pioneer determine if it is normal. But Plasmas do buzz.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Roman - short of them sending out a tech - how do they do that - or is it impossible w/o having a tech out?

~Bill
post #7 of 11 Old 09-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Roman - short of them sending out a tech - how do they do that - or is it impossible w/o having a tech out?

Doesn't hurt you by having them send out a tech. But before they do they will ask some basic questions and can have a pretty good idea if anything will be done.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInvision View Post

Doesn't hurt you by having them send out a tech. But before they do they will ask some basic questions and can have a pretty good idea if anything will be done.

Thanks - I might call. Really it doesn't bug me "that" much - not sure it's worth the fuss of having to be at home for a tech to come and see it.

~Bill
post #9 of 11 Old 09-27-2007, 05:35 PM

I purchased a Panasonic TH-50PH9UK last December. It does not buzz.
I have stuck my head right up by it and no buzz.

Perhaps it is altitude related. I live about 7' above sea level.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-03-2010, 09:26 AM

My 50" Samsung Plasma is humming/buzzing too, and it is very audible throughout the room, even 12 feet away. My normal seating position is 6-8 feet away, but you can hear the buzz from anywhere in the room. It gets worse with bright images, even in bluescreen. I HATE THIS BUZZING.

I tried a variety of things to see if any other device is causing it. Normally, all my AV devices go through my PureAV console, and none besides my Plasma are having this issue. Nonetheless, I tried unplugged everything else in the room, changed plugs, etc. But nothing seems to help. Plugging directly into various outlets in the room, or going through the PureAV console makes no difference.

I have another TV, a 46" Vizio LCD panel, and it doesn't make any buzzing noise, I even moved it into the same room and plugged into the same outlet as my Samsung just to see if it gets the same symptoms, but it didn't.

I've read in multiple forums and multiple online sources that this buzzing is very common with all brands of plasmas; pioneer, pannasonic, etc. I haven't yet read any solutions despire hours of reading across the internet. I am nearly at the breaking point, and ready to banish plasma from my house, and switch to LCD. I can't believe this is such a widespread problem and there is no solution to it. As good as plasma picture quality is, it is completely unbearable, if the manufacturers can't overcome this problem then plasma is dead to me.

Someone please tell me you have found a way to overcome this problem.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-29-2012, 02:56 PM

The display element in plasma TVs is actually a glass substrate envelope with rare natural gases compressed therein. So, at high altitudes (6,500 feet and above), an air-pressure differential emerges, which causes plasma displays to emit a buzzing sound due to the lower air pressure. This noise can sound rather like the humming of an old neon sign.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page