Plasma vs. CRT Brightness and White Uniformity - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in the Panny thread, but it is getting buried there. I'm considering the Panasonic TH-50PE700U at Costco as a replacement for a Loewe Anaconda 9383 Basalt 38" conventional CRT set.

First, I'm interested to know how the overall brightness compares of a typical CRT to plasma, both new and after a few years, as both technologies tend to lose brightness over time. Our CRT set is adequate in the room during the day and perfect in the evening when I watch- even after almost 4 years. Same for the reflections and glare. I had the CRT set calibrated by an ISF tech with a Sencore ColorPro. The chart shows Luminance of 15.45 fL at 100 IRE with Gamma of 2.36 for reference.

Would a Plasma be a reasonable replacement on the basis of brightness? If it is likely to be much dimmer at all, I might consider an LCD. At present, I haven't been impressed with the viewing angles, blacks and motion blur on LCDs, but I have yet to see the newest 120Hz sets. The plasma looked great at Costco, but hard to compare in a showroom with what I have at home. I know I can always return it, but I'd like any comments in advance.

The Loewe is a nice set, but its biggest drawback for me other than screen size is white uniformity. Unlike most CRTs that fade gradually to the corners, the Loewe has some serious striping in the middle that is readily apprent on uniform scenes, like snow, water, sky, etc. How do plasmas do in this area in general and from one sample to another?

Any other input on expectations or alternatives going from my current set to an LCD or Plasma model would also be welcome.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_C View Post

I posted this in the Panny thread, but it is getting buried there. I'm considering the Panasonic TH-50PE700U at Costco as a replacement for a Loewe Anaconda 9383 Basalt 38" conventional CRT set.

First, I'm interested to know how the overall brightness compares of a typical CRT to plasma, both new and after a few years, as both technologies tend to lose brightness over time. Our CRT set is adequate in the room during the day and perfect in the evening when I watch- even after almost 4 years. Same for the reflections and glare. I had the CRT set calibrated by an ISF tech with a Sencore ColorPro. The chart shows Luminance of 15.45 fL at 100 IRE with Gamma of 2.36 for reference.

Would a Plasma be a reasonable replacement on the basis of brightness? If it is likely to be much dimmer at all, I might consider an LCD. At present, I haven't been impressed with the viewing angles, blacks and motion blur on LCDs, but I have yet to see the newest 120Hz sets. The plasma looked great at Costco, but hard to compare in a showroom with what I have at home. I know I can always return it, but I'd like any comments in advance.

The Loewe is a nice set, but its biggest drawback for me other than screen size is white uniformity. Unlike most CRTs that fade gradually to the corners, the Loewe has some serious striping in the middle that is readily apprent on uniform scenes, like snow, water, sky, etc. How do plasmas do in this area in general and from one sample to another?

Any other input on expectations or alternatives going from my current set to an LCD or Plasma model would also be welcome.

Thanks!

The brightness of a good plasma is very similar to that of CRT, buy a plasma and forget about LCD you will have a much better picture. I recommend you get either a Panasonic or a Pioneer as they do stand out from the rest as the very best PQ.
I think you'll really be happy with a good plasma. I own the 50 inch Panasonic professional TH-50PH9UK and highly recommend Panasonic professional models as one of the very best displays.

When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming and scared like the other three people in his car!
post #3 of 5 Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Similar is good enough in terms of brightness. Anyone else able to compare from experience? Any comments about white uniformity?
post #4 of 5 Old 10-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
CRT phosphors age much quicker than plasma phosphors so CRTs lose brighness much quicker. The pioneer/panasonic and others I'm sure, boast a 27 year half life when viewed 8 hours a day. Unless defective, the white is uniform when new and its aging performance is the result of the kind of video you watch. If you always watch un-uniform white then it will have a tendency to age un-uniform. Maybe you'll notice it in 10 years.

My CRT sets have alway been less uniform out of the box than this 50 in panasonic.

CRTs can be made to go brighter than plasma, like in rear projection systems.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks-

I don't mind some uniformity issues if they are slight gradations. It's the obvious splotches and bands that are distracting to me. Incidentally, my CRT is a direct view tube set, not a projection.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page