How do I Split HDMI Signal to Two Displays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I need to know what is the most economical way to split HDMI to two displays, a Front PJ and a Plasma, without losing signal quality.

The problem I have is that my AV Receiving only has one HDMI output. Can I simply by a Y-splitter to split the one output to the two displays? Or will I need to by some electronic switch?

Being able to swith the signal from one display to the other is not a concern. I am more concerned with cost, but I also don't want to lose picture quality. I am willing to spend the money if a simple Y-connector does not exist or it will dramatically degrade the signal quality.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

tyr monoprice.com one for the forum sponsors, look for the link at the top of the page. they have some hdmi switches for very reasonable prices and theyship fast.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #3 of 28 Old 10-01-2007, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

tyr monoprice.com one for the forum sponsors, look for the link at the top of the page. they have some hdmi switches for very reasonable prices and theyship fast.

you can't actually split the signal
post #4 of 28 Old 10-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Do you want to watch Front PJ and a Plasma simultaneously or one at a time?

Lenexpo-Electronics, forum sponsor, has Atlona 4x2 HDMI switch that allows you to select where to watch but not both in the same time.
http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/4...L-p-17230.html

They also have Gefen 4x2 matrix switch that will allow you to watch both simultaneously.
http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/4...E-p-16283.html
post #5 of 28 Old 10-01-2007, 03:52 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 View Post

Sure you can - i'm sending video & audio to both my TVs simultaneously with a Gefen 2x2 HDMI splitter/switcher.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 28 Old 10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 View Post

ummm, ok, so what u call it? multiply, divide, redistribute,......???

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #7 of 28 Old 10-01-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

I will never watch both at the same time. My projector screen drops in front of my plasma.

post #8 of 28 Old 10-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW, I have a component splitter (purchased from monoprice) to send my HD DVR signal to both my TV in my living room and to the PJ in the basement. (Because two HD DVRs from Time Warner are $$$!)

Anyway, just so you know, I had some serious ghosting issues with this set-up. I'll be scrapping it and looking for a good HDMI splitter that doesn't ghost. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get another box.

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #9 of 28 Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Sure you can - i'm sending video & audio to both my TVs simultaneously with a Gefen 2x2 HDMI splitter/switcher.

How is the picture quality with this device?? Any ghosting?

Edit: I just saw the street price on this splitter.... ouch.

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #10 of 28 Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frorule View Post

How is the picture quality with this device?? Any ghosting?

It's perfect. I actually tested the PQ with and without the splitter and there is no degradation of the picture at all from either my Tivo S3 or my 8300HD.

Quote:

Edit: I just saw the street price on this splitter.... ouch.

There are much cheaper alternatives out there if all you want to do is split the HDMI signal. The one i got is expensive because it's also a switcher which enables me to send the signal to both TVs from either my Tivo or my 8300HD, but a simple splitter is much less money. Monoprice has some at great prices.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #11 of 28 Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post

I will never watch both at the same time. My projector screen drops in front of my plasma.

In that case all you need is an inexpensive HDMI switch and connect it "backwards" from how the're typically used, i.e. one device feeding a bunch of monitors instead of a bunch of devices feeding one monitor. The monoprice units work well. Some have remotes some are simple push button switches.

At the risk of oversimplification: HDMI is a digital signal so you will not see ghosting or smearing as with an analog component connection (usually caused by signal reflections from improperly terminated or installed connectors or kinks in the cable). HDMI is more susceptible to signal loss, however. If minor, signal loss shows up as sparkles on the screen, if major you get no video at all. It does not slowly degrade to snow.

Since HDMI is a digital device to device connection which includes resolution negotiation and a two way hand shake protocol, you can't "divide or split" it you must "switch" it.

The expensive devices mentioned earlier contain complex circuits and the magic needed to decode and recode the digital HDMI and properly terminate the hand shake.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #12 of 28 Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In that case all you need is an inexpensive HDMI switch and connect it "backwards" from how the're typically used, i.e. one device feeding a bunch of monitors instead of a bunch of devices feeding one monitor.

So if I understand this correctly, I can take a switch that is listed as a 2x1, two ins x one out, and connect it the other way around, two outs x one in?

Also, I've noticed that there are inexpensive "Y" splitters... not a box/switch, but just a Y-cable where it has one female HDMI connector with two male HDMI connectors.

Will this work if I simply want to send the same signal to the two displays, which I will never have turned on at the same time? I will be watching one or the other at any one time.

post #13 of 28 Old 10-06-2007, 10:40 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

So if I understand this correctly, I can take a switch that is listed as a 2x1, two ins x one out, and connect it the other way around, two outs x one in?

I'm not so sure this will work unless someone has actually done it - i think the HDCP protocol may block the signal if it goes "backwards" so you should check into this further before spending any money.

Quote:

Also, I've noticed that there are inexpensive "Y" splitters... not a box/switch, but just a Y-cable where it has one female HDMI connector with two male HDMI connectors.

Will this work if I simply want to send the same signal to the two displays, which I will never have turned on at the same time? I will be watching one or the other at any one time.

I tried a $18 HDMI Y-cable (bought at Monoprice) and it did not work no matter what i did. I got a black screen from both my Tivo Series 3 and my SA8300HD and the warning message saying my device (TV) was not HDCP compliant and to use the Component connection. I tried several different scenarios with one TV on and the other TV off, connecting just one TV or the other TV, etc and i never got a picture. I loaned the Y-cable to a friend and he was unable to get a picture from his upconverting HDMI DVD Player as well.

Randy
post #14 of 28 Old 10-06-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys... this has been very helpful. I think I am going to go with one of the Gefen splitters.

post #15 of 28 Old 10-06-2007, 03:40 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Thanks guys... this has been very helpful. I think I am going to go with one of the Gefen splitters.

The Gefen splitters are very expensive - before you spend unnecessary money take a look at the Monoprice HDMI powered splitters; they're HDCP compliant and around a hundred bucks (item numbers 3049 and 3655).

My Gefen 2x2 HDMI Splitter/Switcher is this one: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2757

Randy
post #16 of 28 Old 10-06-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I did check out the Monoprice splitters and quite a few others.... actually spent the last 3 hours researching prices and info on all the ones I found through googling. Ended up buying this one :

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%20splitter_5x2_toslink.html

It gives the ability to switch from my Panasonic Plasma to my Panny PJ, which is my primary reason for buying, but it also gives room to add additional HDMI sources in the future.

I picked up my HDMI cables too but those I did get from Monoprice. Pretty good deals there for cables. Picked up a bunch of decora wall plates so my wife will be very happy to not see the octopus of cables coming out of a hole in our wall.

Additionally, I purchased this Audio Splitter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...783717-0320709

I recently installed speakers in my back yard and plan to install others throughout the house so this will come in handy.

I will update you guys on how everything works out and maybe post some pictures of my setup.

Thanks again for your advice.

AC

post #17 of 28 Old 07-13-2009, 07:44 AM

waking up thread from the dead

Any newer better technologies to pull this off? If not, how did that end up working for you?
post #18 of 28 Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 PM

My father has been using this HDMI splitter for six months with zero problems. He is splitting a DirecTV HD DVR signal and sending it too a Kuro 4280 near THAT receiver & a Panasonic 37" plasma into his bedroom, 30 ft away - PQ is perfect on both.(with audio).

http://www.cecompass.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=33
post #19 of 28 Old 01-30-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

In that case all you need is an inexpensive HDMI switch and connect it "backwards" from how the're typically used, i.e. one device feeding a bunch of monitors instead of a bunch of devices feeding one monitor. The monoprice units work well. Some have remotes some are simple push button switches.

I just tried to use the monoprice HDMI switch backwards to go to either my plasma Tv or my projector. It does not work at all. AT this point I am basically using hte switch as a coupling so I have an easy acess point to swap the cables when I switch from TV to projector.

My problem I had last night is the HDMI signal was cutting out on me, then back then cutting out. I am running a 25' HDMI from the switch to my projector so I just ordered an HDMI coupling to use instead of the switch for an easy access point. I just can't pull out the receiver and swap the HDMI cables from the back of it every time. Too difficult to do with all those speaker wires, component cables etc etc etc.

If the HDMI signal starts cutting out again in the meantime I'll try swapping the cable to the TV to see if the signal loss occurs over a shorter distance. As it is the HDMI signal goes from my PS3 HDMI out to my receiver to my reciver output to the HDMI switch to the projector (or tv).

Check out my Blog to see what I am working on in my basement now....http://artood2fett.blogspot.com/
post #20 of 28 Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony9 View Post

My father has been using this HDMI splitter for six months with zero problems. He is splitting a DirecTV HD DVR signal and sending it too a Kuro 4280 near THAT receiver & a Panasonic 37" plasma into his bedroom, 30 ft away - PQ is perfect on both.(with audio).

http://www.cecompass.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=33

The above is operating perfectly after one year +.
post #21 of 28 Old 03-29-2010, 04:27 PM

here is what i want to do:

have all my components in the living room hooked into my reciever.... monitor out goes to splitter that sends 1 signal to TV in living room, other signal down 35 foot line to the bedroom where i have a second small reciever that will output sound and send video to my tv in there.

Is this possible or will the goofy HDMI protocol laws not let me get video and audio on the second system?
post #22 of 28 Old 03-29-2010, 04:46 PM

perfect. exactly what i was just gonna ask.
post #23 of 28 Old 05-01-2010, 11:28 PM

In reference to the 2 Port 1x2 (1 Input & 2 Output) HDMI Ditribution Amplierfier Splitter posted above by tony9, the specifications state:
Maximum Single Link Range: 60Hz

Forgive my ignorance, but does this have anything to do with 120 Hz TVs or is it something else? Both of the TVs that I want to send the signal to are 120 Hz. Will this work?
post #24 of 28 Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM

120hz is done on the tv. the hdmi doesn't matter.
post #25 of 28 Old 07-01-2010, 05:19 PM

Replying to an old chat hoping someone will give me some guidance.

I am building a new house and was looking at having a media closet and then splitting my signals to multiple TV's in the house. I was thinking about buying a HDMI switcher, possibly:
shortened Link:
lenexpo-electronics.com/4x4-Atlona-HDMI-Matrix-Switch-HDMI-1.3-with-3D-Support-p-17867 dot html

My questions is would a set up like this be ideal for this switcher or are there cheaper better ways of doing this?

Input 1 BluRay Player
Input 2 Directv dvr
Input 3 Directv receiver
Input 4 Custom Hardrive Movie Database

Output 1 upstairs TV
Output 2 bed TV
Output 3 bed TV
Output 4 Stereo in theater room (which will be sent to my projector and speakers)

Does anyone have a setup like this? How does the IR remote work for this system? Wouldn't i need 4 remotes for all 4 outputs so i can select what goes to what tv from that location? Could the remotes from the TV's be programmed to run the switcher?

Thanks in advance.
post #26 of 28 Old 07-02-2010, 07:24 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Noticed that most of these "splitters" are HDMI 1.3 compliant. Any guesses on whether they would handle 3D (1.4 signal) for only one output at a time? One output would retain lossless audio for PS3 blue rays (i.e., go to a 1.3 compliant pre/pro which won't pass 3D to the TV) and the other output would go direct to the TV with 3D from PS3 (audio provided by optical to the pre/pro).
post #27 of 28 Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 118

Thanks. Definitely correct. I bought one and it works perfectly for my function.
post #28 of 28 Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

WOW.. can't believe this post is still alive. Thought I'd post an update. I am still using my Octava switch without any real problems. I say "real problems" because occasionally when I switch inputs on my Onkyo receiver, it takes a few seconds for the signal to refresh to my display. I am not really sure if this is an issue with the Onkyo or Octava switch. Regardless, it's very minor so I don't consider it a problem.

I would still recommend this switch to anyone looking for a way of splitting an HDMI signal to 2 displays.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays