Official Pioneer Kuro Pictures Thread....... - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 7552 Old 12-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok...I went in to BB last night to check out the pure mode. I was quite unimpressed after it being so hyped up. They had a 150 in a separate area (Magnolia inside) with a couch being fed from a Elite Bluray player playing Mariah Carey. They had it set to run the optimum setting and honestly the optimum looked a little better!? The Pure seemed like it was a little nicer picture but the color seemed more washed out. Am I mising something?

Side note: The tv was being fed through an Elite receiver (the new 92) and he put in a bluray of Dave Mathews (True HD) and it sounded AMAZING! I need to upgrade my Elite AVR so I can run TrueHD and DTS HD!! Any takers??

-The Dave
----Check my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!! (DONE) King of the 400 lb Gorilla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 7552 Old 12-29-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_throne View Post

I'm planning on getting a blu-ray player next week. I will be sure to post some photos.

yay.......although i assume you dont have a 1080p model to compare it to

anyway it might be cutting it close for but hopefully you are able to do it whenever you can
post #633 of 7552 Old 12-29-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

yay.......although i assume you dont have a 1080p model to compare it to

anyway it might be cutting it close for but hopefully you are able to do it whenever you can

I know this doesn;t answer your question but you might find this interesting.

A friend of mine who has the Panny 42" 1080P display came over and saw my Kuro 4280 the other night. (He jokingly hassled me for not buying a Panny.) I just had an HD channel on playing Austin Powers. He said "Wow, that looks amazing! Isn't 1080P awesome?" (I guess he thought I was playing a disc.) To which I said with a smile, "thats not a 1080P display."
That said it all for me.
post #634 of 7552 Old 12-29-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know this doesn;t answer your question but you might find this interesting.

A friend of mine who has the Panny 42" 1080P display came over and saw my Kuro 4280 the other night. (He jokingly hassled me for not buying a Panny.) I just had an HD channel on playing Austin Powers. He said "Wow, that looks amazing! Isn't 1080P awesome?" (I guess he thought I was playing a disc.) To which I said with a smile, "thats not a 1080P display."
That said it all for me.

I'd still like to see some of that good ol' visual evidence if you dont mind.

granted that is some very direct commentary, had written endorsements been enough i already would have been convinced what with all the synonymous commentary on it.

btw, why would your friend hassle you for not buying a panny and yet not know/remember your Pioneer was a lesser resolution (since if he thought it had a 1080p panel their would be pretty much be no reason to hassle you for buying a 42" Pioneer i think).
post #635 of 7552 Old 12-29-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

I'd still like to see some of that good ol' visual evidence if you dont mind.

granted that is some very direct commentary, had written endorsements been enough i already would have been convinced what with all the synonymous commentary on it.

btw, why would your friend hassle you for not buying a panny and yet not know/remember your Pioneer was a lesser resolution (since if he thought it had a 1080p panel their would be pretty much be no reason to hassle you for buying a 42" Pioneer i think).

He bought the Panny because it was 1080P and Panasonic usually does well in the price for feature category. To him, that means they make the best displays (that and most industrial plasma are Panny's as well.) The more stickers on the display saying what bells and whistles are inside, the better.
To be honest, I think his display looks great. I just don't see a lot of difference at 42" as far as resolution goes. I'll be sure to take some pics for you in the next few days when I get the blu ray (or hd dvd.)
post #636 of 7552 Old 12-29-2007, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He bought the Panny because it was 1080P and Panasonic usually does well in the price for feature category. To him, that means they make the best displays (that and most industrial plasma are Panny's as well.) The more stickers on the display saying what bells and whistles are inside, the better.
To be honest, I think his display looks great. I just don't see a lot of difference at 42" as far as resolution goes. I'll be sure to take some pics for you in the next few days when I get the blu ray (or hd dvd.)

hm, i have an idea, if you can try to get some equivicable pictures off your friends panny as well, that would be tops.....not to mention satiating to at least a few other people posting about those displays specifically or simply pining over whether to go 1080p or not (this is all in spite of people saying that pictures dont tell the whole story, at the very least two comparative "well taken" and detailed sets of photos from the same photographer will be at least something useful).

again though make sure it's playing 1080p stuff, otherewise it might be a bit moot

p.s. at ultimate electronics the pioneer is a mere hondo more than the Panasonic
post #637 of 7552 Old 12-30-2007, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avus_M3 View Post

Ok...I went in to BB last night to check out the pure mode. I was quite unimpressed after it being so hyped up. They had a 150 in a separate area (Magnolia inside) with a couch being fed from a Elite Bluray player playing Mariah Carey. They had it set to run the optimum setting and honestly the optimum looked a little better!? The Pure seemed like it was a little nicer picture but the color seemed more washed out. Am I mising something?

Side note: The tv was being fed through an Elite receiver (the new 92) and he put in a bluray of Dave Mathews (True HD) and it sounded AMAZING! I need to upgrade my Elite AVR so I can run TrueHD and DTS HD!! Any takers??

PURE mode means natural, what you see is what it REALLY looks like in real life, most people are used to those oversturated colors and skin tones from many other displays, or from what they have at home "myself included" the PDP that was moved to my bedroom to make room for my PRO-110FD, ones I saw my PRO-110FD in PURE mode everything changed, that is the only mode I use, I have changed it once or twice to see the difference in other modes, and I always go back to PURE mode, for a more pleasing, soothing, realistic picture, the colors and skin tones are spot on.

KURO -PRO-110FD,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KURO PRO-151FD,

post #638 of 7552 Old 12-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Did you buy the 110 instead of the 6010 because 60" was too big? When comparing Elite Kuro vs Kuro, 10" more should be a bigger deal.
post #639 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Did anyone post 5080 pics? All I saw were 5010/6010 and elite none of which i'd be able to afford
post #640 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 04:52 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Side note: That Mariah Carey is a DVD not a Blu-Ray. I have no idea why they would play a DVD on system thats craves HD. I've seen the DVD at my local BB's also. I guess they are pushing the DVD or something...
post #641 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 05:53 AM

Here are some quick 5080 pics. Just got it 2 days ago and still setting things up but so far... I am amazed. I was torn between the 5080 and Samsung 5084 but after seeing OTA hd last night, I have NO regrets. More pics to come either today or tomorrow. The lines on the right of the image are reflections from a window behind the couch.

post #642 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 06:01 AM

Hey resante... where did you get the credenza and who makes it. Thanks.
post #643 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 06:15 AM

I forgot who made it but I got it at Target about 3 years ago. It was a good size for my old 27" crt but I need something about 6-8" lower for the 5080.
post #644 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post

Side note: That Mariah Carey is a DVD not a Blu-Ray. I have no idea why they would play a DVD on system thats craves HD. I've seen the DVD at my local BB's also. I guess they are pushing the DVD or something...

Really? I thought it was just a bad authored bluray? Why the hell would they have a dvd in there? The funny part is the rep helping me was a really nice guy. He popped in some other demos but said he had to put the Mariah Carey back in because the mgr or something?? He said he didn't know why they have to run that disc. Sounds pretty lame.

In any case the image was full screen and considering that and that it was a dvd...Wow. It makes SD look a hell of a lot better than my Samsung I sold.

-The Dave
----Check my
post #645 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really? I thought it was just a bad authored bluray? Why the hell would they have a dvd in there? The funny part is the rep helping me was a really nice guy. He popped in some other demos but

Lol. The rep at one of the places I went today said hands down the 50pz700u because the only decent Pioneers were the Elites ... lol.
post #646 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Really? I thought it was just a bad authored bluray? Why the hell would they have a dvd in there? The funny part is the rep helping me was a really nice guy. He popped in some other demos but said he had to put the Mariah Carey back in because the mgr or something?? He said he didn't know why they have to run that disc. Sounds pretty lame.

In any case the image was full screen and considering that and that it was a dvd...Wow. It makes SD look a hell of a lot better than my Samsung I sold.

Exact same thing the BB guy said in Chicago in two seperate stores!

BTW - I thought the DVD did look pretty damn good.
post #647 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe Mariah is banging the owner of BB??

-The Dave
----Check my
post #648 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephirothXR View Post

Did you buy the 110 instead of the 6010 because 60" was too big? When comparing Elite Kuro vs Kuro, 10" more should be a bigger deal.

for the same money, I chose quality of picture over screen size.

KURO -PRO-110FD,

KURO PRO-151FD,

post #649 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec View Post

for the same money, I chose quality of picture over screen size.

That's exactly what I did with the Pro-110FD. So glad I did!
post #650 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resante View Post

Nice score with the 5080! I'm holding off a few more weeks before I take the plunge. Upconverted and SD material really look good on these displays than most PDP's.
post #651 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post

That's exactly what I did with the Pro-110FD. So glad I did!

+1
post #652 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ive had my 5080 for a few days and im amazed how much better it looks than my previous Sony 34XBR960 HDTV, I took a few pics sorry im not that great at manual camera settings but im getting better (its not that dark in person)

Bluray playback via PS3:

post #653 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Ive had my 5080 for a few days and im amazed how much better it looks than my previous Sony 34XBR960 HDTV, I took a few pics sorry im not that great at manual camera settings but im getting better (its not that dark in person)

Bluray playback via PS3:

wow that looks really damn good!i cant wait to get my 110fd!
post #654 of 7552 Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
damn thats very nice HAOF on blue..... i have a sony cybershot 7mp dsc-w55 what settings do i do to take pictures?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #655 of 7552 Old 01-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Bluray playback via PS3:

Hey Mathesar, quick question for you: I currently have a Sony XBR970 and it is at 1080i. I'm seriously considering getting the Pio Kuro 5080, just like you did. For some reason, I've got it in my head that:

1. Going from 1080i to 720p will leave me disappointed
2. Going from a CRT with solid blacks to the Kuro will leave me bummed

Did you have those thoughts going into the 5080, and if so, how do you feel about them now, or what gave you confidence in getting this set after the Sony CRT you used?

Thanks! (and post some more pix, those are helpful).
post #656 of 7552 Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkfuzz View Post

Hey Mathesar, quick question for you: I currently have a Sony XBR970 and it is at 1080i. I'm seriously considering getting the Pio Kuro 5080, just like you did. For some reason, I've got it in my head that:

1. Going from 1080i to 720p will leave me disappointed
2. Going from a CRT with solid blacks to the Kuro will leave me bummed

Did you have those thoughts going into the 5080, and if so, how do you feel about them now, or what gave you confidence in getting this set after the Sony CRT you used?

Thanks! (and post some more pix, those are helpful).

Yes I had those thoughts and was always disappointed by other tv's black level performance vs. the XBR960, My first plasma was a Panny 42PZ77U and black levels was the main reason I returned it, However the 5080hd's black levels are *excellent* even in a dark room, Im very picky about black levels and these Kuro's dont disappoint here, Believe me i was very surprised.

As for 720p I have my PS3 set at 1080p which lets the TV scale down to it's native resolution (5080hd = 1366x768 res) Bluray's look far better on the 5080hd vs. XBR960 due to its brighter output, noticabley sharper image with finer details (Bluray movies) and awesome color separation.

If I HAD to pick out a negative it would be that coming from a CRT you might notice some trailing effects during fast motion, this effect leaves a small trail of yellow / light purple, its not really noticeable watching movies but it can be spotted in videogames especially ones that run at 60fps (such as Mario Galaxy) From what ive gathered online this is a common plasma trait, it did it on my previous panny 77u, 4280 and now the 5080. But It's certainly not bad enough to make me want to return it and I play a lot of video games, Ive also read this effect reduces as the plasma ages but not sure how much truth is in that.

That being said Ive never seen videogames / bluray movies look this good and even 480P sources (Nintendo Wii etc.) look awesome on the 5080, If I were you I wouldn't hesitate you wont be disappointed IMO.
post #657 of 7552 Old 01-01-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Pictures are stunning to say the least! Great job.

Chris
post #658 of 7552 Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM

Mathesar,

That is some very useful info. Thanks. I have a PS3 and Wii, so Video Games are a big commodity at our home. Good to know. I'm still playing around with the idea of getting the 1150 vs. the 5080. My seating distance is 9-10 ft., so not sure what to do, but I'd hate to hijack this "pic thread", so... I'll keep researching.

Thanks a mil for the informative response! It really helps coming from a "CRT Black Perspective".
post #659 of 7552 Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephirothXR View Post

How far away do you sit? Some people think that 60" is great for 7-8 feet while others think that it's too big. Whether you want to spend $1000 extra just for size is up to you. Would you pay $700 more for 8"? I probably would since size makes the bigger difference.

I know I would. I currently have a 2 year old, 720p 42" Panasonic and it seems SO small to me now. Granted im used to it, but im really wanting one of these 60" Pioneers. I sit 9 to 10' away and it would be perfect IMO.

Bigger is better

PSN: DaveS78
post #660 of 7552 Old 01-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6 View Post

I know I would. I currently have a 2 year old, 720p 42" Panasonic and it seems SO small to me now. Granted im used to it, but im really wanting one of these 60" Pioneers. I sit 9 to 10' away and it would be perfect IMO.

Bigger is better

Well when I look at my 46" CRT, it already seems big. I was looking at the 5884, but it looks quite expensive when I could get the 5080 for almost $1000 less. If Pioneer made a 55" or anything higher than 50"(60" is too expensive for now), I might be willing to buy that instead. My other scenario besides th 5884 is to just buy the 5080 for $2100 and use the extra money for $500 PS3 and $150 HD-DVD player. I see that very likely now because the 5884 doesn't seem to be coming down. Who knows, in February, I might be posting a picture of a 5080 in this thread.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 320gb System
Gear in this thread - Pro110 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page