Panasonic TH-50PHD3 picture issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My set is about 5 yrs old. Recently it takes over 5 min to warm up so that the picture makes sense. During the warm up period the screen is full of color lines in 8 rectangular blocks. After the 5 min the pic becomes recognizable and the pic quality is very good.
Before I pull it off the wall and lug it to the repair man I wanted to find out if this problem has been observed by others. Is it fixable? Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-19-2008, 03:03 PM

I have developed exactly the same problem. Did you find a fix?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

This is an old problem on the P9 sub-board, a plug-in on the Power Supply PCB. There are (2) P9s on each PS PCB. Part # is TNPA1906 but it is discontinued. The likely failure is IC 981 - part # C0DBAHH00013 which is still available from Panasonic Parts:

http://www.pstc.panasonic.com/Epartr/

This is a multi-pin IC on a double-sided PCB which will be old and delicate so extra care needs to be taken when working on these, not for the faint of heart or first-time solderers.

TW

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #4 of 9 Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 AM

Great. Thank you for the advice. I actually got the TV running again.

I had my friend who is an EE replace the IC. Removing an inductor and two of the capacitors on the P9 chip was found to be helpful. His soldering skills were above average but he does not work on CBs that often.

I do not know why this problem occurred to begin with, but it was a relatively easy fix so I know what to do if it happens again. Good luck!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unafflicted View Post

Great. Thank you for the advice. I actually got the TV running again.

I had my friend who is an EE replace the IC. Removing an inductor and two of the capacitors on the P9 chip was found to be helpful. His soldering skills were above average but he does not work on CBs that often.

I do not know why this problem occurred to begin with, but it was a relatively easy fix so I know what to do if it happens again. Good luck!

Another victory for the P9 IC !!!
Finally went to look at one of these for my daughter who has been pestering me for almost 6 months.

She bought a TH50PHD3U at the Englishtown Auction (Central Jersey folks will know what I'm talking about) for $50 because I told her if she ever sees any Panasonic plasmas as is, but with a good screen that lights up and without any black lines or black boxes, that it might be repairable.

OK, up scope, the symptom was "vertical lines like a colorful waterfall" that were cut in half horizontally. Could be SU, SD, SC, SS or even power supply.
So I looked in the closet and loaded what boards I had for a 50HD3 into the ol' war wagon for a trip to Jackson (near Great Adventure).

As an afterthought, I took along the last TNPA1906 P9 board that I had in the off chance that would be the problem, which I doubted because they didn't say if a pix eventually appeared after warm-up.

After removing a thousand screws (not really), I removed the rear panel and then blew out the dust and cob webs. Taking the lazy approach, I swapped out the left P9 board (there are two). Fired it up and Voila'...perfect picture !!!

Made a few adjustments and put it back together. I had a pair of TY-SP0P8WK speakers that I didn't think would fit but I was shocked when the brackets lined up. They differ cosmetically from the original TY-SP50P3WK speakers offered for the 3 series but match very well. So a note for the future: new speakers fit older Plasmas.

Post-lag: The thing has been running for 24+ hours without hiccup so I deem it a successful repair, by change of P9 on the Power Supply board.

T. Wiz

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #7 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM

Hello i have the same problem with my plasma what rear panel did u clean out, can u please guide me,
post #8 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 AM

Liked: 11
yeah,i think so, i have the same problem with my plasma what rear panel did u clean out, can u please guide me,thank you 2.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 AM

I have a Panasonic TH-50PHD3 Plasma screen. When it is turned on the fans turn on and then it won't complete the power on sequence. The red light stays on for about 3 seconds then blinks twice and continues the cycle again. I checked the fuses and they are fine.

When i remove the TNPA1906 P9 boards the tv stays on and also the fans turn on, but as soonest i place in the p9 boars the red lights stays on and Two relays click on about a half a second apart and the fans tun on and then they both click and everything powers off.

my brother told me to remove those p9 boards and get some other ones or replace the ic's
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page