LG plasma and Verizon FIOS cable card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-13-2007, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a brand new LG 60" plasma. The main reason i purchased this particular model is because of the cable card slot. Verizon FIOS tech came out today to install the cable card. After 2 hours of troubleshooting couldnt figure out why the TV was not getting any digitial tier channels. Finally I call LG and they inform me that the ONLY company's cable cards not compatible with LG plasma's are Verizon FIOS. Great, WTF do i do now. That doesnt help me out and i would have bought a different brand TV if i knew that info to begin with. Maybe they should make that info widely available. I dont understand why it doest work with Verizon FIOS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-14-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
return the set. whats the big deal.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The information you received from LG is incorrect. I have been using CableCARDs with FIOS for over one year with variety of displays.

CableCARD is a standard that MUST be compatible with displays and Cable providers, the cards and TVs all been certified by Cablelabs as compatible.

Based on my own similar experience , it is highly probable that the CableCARD the tech brought out to you was simply defective (I have been told they are not pretested by Verizon. ) Have the Verizon tech return with a couple of new cards (just to be safe) and have the new CableCARD installed by the tech.

I recommend when you call back Verizon, try to escalate the call to a manager or supervisor as they will be more responsive.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-14-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 582
The whole subject of CableCARDS is pretty dicey. Those that bought the new Tivo HD had many problems with pixellization with many non-Motorola cards. Verizon uses Motorola CCs, so people with FIOS generally had no issues in this area. I believe that Tivo had to release a software download to correct this.

Just like with HDMI, you cross your fingers.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-14-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Merson View Post

The information you received from LG is incorrect. I have been using CableCARDs with FIOS for over one year with variety of displays.

CableCARD is a standard that MUST be compatible with displays and Cable providers, the cards and TVs all been certified by Cablelabs as compatible.

Based on my own similar experience , it is highly probable that the CableCARD the tech brought out to you was simply defective (I have been told they are not pretested by Verizon. ) Have the Verizon tech return with a couple of new cards (just to be safe) and have the new CableCARD installed by the tech.

I recommend when you call back Verizon, try to escalate the call to a manager or supervisor as they will be more responsive.

Possible that the tech just couldnt figure it out, he didnt seem like he knew what he was doing. He had to keep calling his help line for advice. He did also try two cable cards he had with him and got the same result. But the wierd thing is that I called LG twice to make sure i got the same answer, and both times they said that all their TV's and Only Verizon FIOS cable cards are incompatible. Have you used FIOS cable cards with actual LG plasma's?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No, five other brands of HDTVs but as I wrote all CableCARDs and HDTVs that accept CCs must be certified by Cablelabs as compatible.

I recommend you escalate and get another Verizon tech over perhaps with the area manager.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-16-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a email i got back from LG in response to asking them why Verizon FIOS is not compatible with their TV's/CableCARD slot:

We are delighted to hear from you as our Valued Customer. We regret the trouble you have experienced with this television and cable card. The major reason for incompatibility is the format of the FIOS signal. It is not sent out in the standard cable format, as the other companies are. The FIOS system is originally designed to have your cable box convert the signal from a Fiber Optic line to a wire that the television can use, such as the standard Coaxial Cable. If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at your convenience. Mr. Neil Electronic Correspondence Executive (ECE) LG Electronics USA 800-243-0000

Anybody think this could be the reason?
post #8 of 9 Old 10-17-2007, 05:54 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Merson View Post

No, five other brands of HDTVs but as I wrote all CableCARDs and HDTVs that accept CCs must be certified by Cablelabs as compatible.

I recommend you escalate and get another Verizon tech over perhaps with the area manager.

IYO... do you believe we will see the release of interactive or OCAP compliant two-way PDPs w/M-Card slot during 2008 that support CATV PPV, on-Demand and SDV services? Will these displays provide support for IEEE 1394 connectivity?

Also, will there ever be a device similar to the DVDO iScan VP50PRO that provides native support for CATV coax input w/M-Card and/or DCAS?
post #9 of 9 Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 View Post

Here is a email i got back from LG in response to asking them why Verizon FIOS is not compatible with their TV's/CableCARD slot:

We are delighted to hear from you as our Valued Customer. We regret the trouble you have experienced with this television and cable card. The major reason for incompatibility is the format of the FIOS signal. It is not sent out in the standard cable format, as the other companies are. The FIOS system is originally designed to have your cable box convert the signal from a Fiber Optic line to a wire that the television can use, such as the standard Coaxial Cable. If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at your convenience. Mr. Neil Electronic Correspondence Executive (ECE) LG Electronics USA 800-243-0000

Anybody think this could be the reason?

Motorola and Verizon use non-CATV compliant QIP STBs to provide FiOS TV service. Verizon uses QAM technology to deliver linear digital-cable and broadcast networks but IP technology to deliver video-on-demand which is different from the CATV industry driven, not-so-open, CableCARD specifications.

The FCC granted a waiver to its "Integration Ban" for MPVDs such as Verizon and Qwest Communications International using the rationale that those operators either already offer digital-only transmission or have promised to make the transition to all-digital networks by Feb. 17, 2009.

All of which spells "gloom & doom" for the subscriber regarding any meaningful support for CableCARDs from Verizon and/or equipment manufacturers.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page