Warranty: What would you do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 10-24-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Pro-150 Pioneer online with an Elite dealer and would like some advise on a warranty. Ok 2 years manufactures, If I buy using my Visa I get another year . Although the interest rate would be around 10% I will be paying it off in a matter of days. Should I go that route or just get the 3 year extended from the dealer? 3 years cheaper versus 5 years more cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Depends on the cost of their warranty. 3 years coverage is a good start.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-24-2007, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The biggest question is how long you plan on keeping your Elite? If the answer is over 3 years an ext warranty from Mack or CPS would be a better solution than relying on a credit card. Also keep in mind, you may want to look at all the terms and conditions of the credit card before relying on coverage for a full year.

Chris
post #4 of 25 Old 10-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The second biggest question, is this online dealer a Authorized Pioneer reseller. If they aren't, I here Pioneer will NOT honor their warranty. If they aren't and you are getting a good deal, get a warranty that also covers the first 2 years..
So check this out carefully.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

The dealer is Value Electronics. They have a great price and say they are an Authorized dealer. I also have seen others on here recomending them. I'll probably just go ahead with the extended warranty through them. Would you guys go ahead and pay a little extra to have them unload it, bring it in, unpack and set it up? White Gloves option I think. I guess then if they drop it bringing it in they would hopefully cover it.
post #6 of 25 Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Definetly depends on the cost. Mack 3 year warranties are pretty cheap from most people. We just had a guy get his unit swapped out this week, he is a happy camper for sure desiding to buy an extended warranty
post #7 of 25 Old 10-24-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Definetly depends on the cost. Mack 3 year warranties are pretty cheap from most people. We just had a guy get his unit swapped out this week, he is a happy camper for sure desiding to buy an extended warranty

Thats what I called piece of mind!

Chris
post #8 of 25 Old 10-24-2007, 08:25 PM

Liked: 12
what is a Mack warranty?
post #9 of 25 Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post

what is a Mack warranty?

Here ya go! This is the most popular extended warranty on the forum. However, there are number of different warranty companies, such as Repairmaster, Repairtech, CPS, etc...

Chris
post #10 of 25 Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mack Camera company has been in business from 1938, they will be around if a person needs service I think they have been in business longer than almost all of the flat panel display manufacturers.
post #11 of 25 Old 10-25-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I've waffled 180 on this subject after 4 hdtv's in the last five years...

I'd skip the EW (bought on first two-skipped on last two).
post #12 of 25 Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz01 View Post

I've waffled 180 on this subject after 4 hdtv's in the last five years...

I'd skip the EW (bought on first two-skipped on last two).

It looks like you upgrade quite often. Most people keep their flat panel on average of more than 3 years. So you will need to factor in those who keep their displays longer than how you keep them. You average 1 display a year. I wish I had that kind of money! LOL

Chris
post #13 of 25 Old 10-25-2007, 05:55 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarslinger View Post

The dealer is Value Electronics. They have a great price and say they are an Authorized dealer.

AFAIK Pioneer does not authorize any of their dealers to sell the Elite series online, only the regular non-Elite Pioneer plasmas.

Don't just take this dealer's word for it, please verify that they're authorized first. Tons of non-Authorized Pioneer and Elite dealers claim to be authorized when they in fact are not authorized so check with Pioneer and confirm that they're authorized before buying from anyone, and that your warranty will be honored.

I just checked Pioneer's website and this company is not even on their official list of authorized Pioneer dealers. Also, i just checked ResellerRatings dot com and this company has only 5 reviews, 3 of which look like faked positive reviews and 2 from customers who are Very Dissatisfied so i'd avoid them. Dealers with no history and prices that are too good to be true usually are scammy and disreputable.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #14 of 25 Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail View Post

It looks like you upgrade quite often. Most people keep their flat panel on average of more than 3 years. So you will need to factor in those who keep their displays longer than how you keep them. You average 1 display a year. I wish I had that kind of money! LOL

Chris

Well they were not high end TV's ($$$) but in hindsight, they certainly could add up to one.

The crt rp was my first (Toshibe 42h83 i think.). that was sold to a friend, is used daily and still running no problem. Age now is about 5 years (or 4?? lose track). they love it.

Second was JVC D-ila (52g886). Also sold to a friend. Age is 3 years. I replaced one lamp on mfg warranty in first year. Second lamp has over 4000 hours on it and still running. Working fine and he loves it.

Third was a sony tube (xbr970). Had the purple corner problem so traded it back within 30 days.

Current is a little Hitachi plasma. Bought in March 07. Put about 4,000 hours a year on my TV's so this currently has about 2,500 hours on it. No EW.

I may be older than the average poster here at 45. When growing up, there were no such things as EW's. It's a sad statement really that we buy things and then agree to fund their quality issues. But rather than wax philosophical, I am trying to buy things that are at a price point that becomes disposable after mfg warranty. For most (and me) this is around $1,000. If the plasma blows up after a year and a day, I'll try another, but more than likely it'll go at least a few years. If I were buying an Elite like the OP with a three year warranty I would not extend that out of pocket.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

AFAIK Pioneer does not authorize any of their dealers to sell the Elite series online, only the regular non-Elite Pioneer plasmas.

Don't just take this dealer's word for it, please verify that they're authorized first. Tons of non-Authorized Pioneer and Elite dealers claim to be authorized when they in fact are not authorized so check with Pioneer and confirm that they're authorized before buying from anyone, and that your warranty will be honored.

I just checked Pioneer's website and this company is not even on their official list of authorized Pioneer dealers. Also, i just checked ResellerRatings dot com and this company has only 5 reviews, 3 of which look like faked positive reviews and 2 from customers who are Very Dissatisfied so i'd avoid them. Dealers with no history and prices that are too good to be true usually are scammy and disreputable.

Randy,

Value Electronics has an exceptional reputation in the Blu-ray and HD DVD sections of the forum, and I've seen more and more people buying televisions from them as well.

I've never personally purchased from them, but I wouldn't hesitate to based on the feedback I've seen.

Also, they don't sell Pioneer Elite products on their website - you have to call to place the order, which I think is a legit loophole in the Elite agreement.

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #16 of 25 Old 10-26-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz01 View Post

Well they were not high end TV's ($$$) but in hindsight, they certainly could add up to one.

The crt rp was my first (Toshibe 42h83 i think.). that was sold to a friend, is used daily and still running no problem. Age now is about 5 years (or 4?? lose track). they love it.

Second was JVC D-ila (52g886). Also sold to a friend. Age is 3 years. I replaced one lamp on mfg warranty in first year. Second lamp has over 4000 hours on it and still running. Working fine and he loves it.

Third was a sony tube (xbr970). Had the purple corner problem so traded it back within 30 days.

Current is a little Hitachi plasma. Bought in March 07. Put about 4,000 hours a year on my TV's so this currently has about 2,500 hours on it. No EW.

I may be older than the average poster here at 45. When growing up, there were no such things as EW's. It's a sad statement really that we buy things and then agree to fund their quality issues. But rather than wax philosophical, I am trying to buy things that are at a price point that becomes disposable after mfg warranty. For most (and me) this is around $1,000. If the plasma blows up after a year and a day, I'll try another, but more than likely it'll go at least a few years. If I were buying an Elite like the OP with a three year warranty I would not extend that out of pocket.

I respect your opinion on EW. They aren't for everyone, but IF your display fails you will not come out of pocket for a brand new TV. That is why inexpensive warranties, such as Mack or CPS are value added warranties. You are not spending $300-$400 on a EW for your $1000 display. Also keep in mind, EW give you the option to pocket the money for the current market value of your display. Something is better than nothing!

Chris
post #17 of 25 Old 10-27-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarslinger View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Pro-150 Pioneer online with an Elite dealer and would like some advise on a warranty. Ok 2 years manufactures, If I buy using my Visa I get another year . Although the interest rate would be around 10% I will be paying it off in a matter of days. Should I go that route or just get the 3 year extended from the dealer? 3 years cheaper versus 5 years more cost?

Most people in the warranty business (my girlfriend works for a huge warranty company) will tell you that EWs are big profit generators. The average electronic instrument (in this case, a PDP) is very reliable. They usually malfunction in the early stages of life. If you are getting two years manufacturers warranty and an additional year from your credit card, that's three solid years. That is ample time for any inherent flaws to show up. Also, a lot of times the repair of a panel is cheaper than the cost of the warranty.
Of course, you have to be comfortable with your decision.

Three years is a very comfortable margin. IMO I would not spend the extra money on something I may or may not need. Put it in the bank and in three or four years if your panel needs repairs, you'll have the money to fix it, or may even decide to upgrade to a newer more desirable unit anyway. Just mu opinion.

You're never lost, because no matter where you go...There you are!
post #18 of 25 Old 10-27-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasure Hunter View Post

Most people in the warranty business (my girlfriend works for a huge warranty company) will tell you that EWs are big profit generators. The average electronic instrument (in this case, a PDP) is very reliable. They usually malfunction in the early stages of life. If you are getting two years manufacturers warranty and an additional year from your credit card, that's three solid years. That is ample time for any inherent flaws to show up. Also, a lot of times the repair of a panel is cheaper than the cost of the warranty.
Of course, you have to be comfortable with your decision.

Three years is a very comfortable margin. IMO I would not spend the extra money on something I may or may not need. Put it in the bank and in three or four years if your panel needs repairs, you'll have the money to fix it, or may even decide to upgrade to a newer more desirable unit anyway. Just mu opinion.

I respect your opinion as well. Their reserves are probably quite low. However, electronics are the most unpredictable piece of consumables. On average 3 year warranties are plenty. Some prefer 5 years, but that is naturally up to the consumer. I will say that it makes sense to have a replacement unit in line or cash back from television that has low value. Again it boils down to this....."Getting something is better than nothing!"

Chris
post #19 of 25 Old 10-27-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No I think automobiles are the most unpredictable piece of consumables.

Anyway, luck of the draw. Odds are people would not have a problem as the extended warranty companies would not be in business. Everything is made by imperfect beings and therefore some items will have issues. The true question is "Do you feel lucky"
post #20 of 25 Old 10-27-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyway, luck of the draw. Odds are people would not have a problem as the extended warranty companies would not be in business. Everything is made by imperfect beings and therefore some items will have issues. The true question is "Do you feel lucky"

Bingo!!! Well said Cleve!

Chris
post #21 of 25 Old 10-27-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm not sure how much the EW from Mack and other companies cost but with prices of PDPs dropping by 30-40% each year, plus if you buy with credit card and receive the extra year I don't think EW are that much of a bargain. This is why I do not mind paying a little extra for a brand that does not cut corners to sell their displays at a cheaper price, ie Vizio. You get what you pay for!! With that said, I did buy an EW from Best Buy when I bought my first Panny PDP 2 years ago. I felt that plasma technology was still new and I could not afford to replace a $2500 PDP. Plus, I received 3 years, no interest financing which made the extra $200-300 easier to swallow.

Has anyone ever had to use the visa, mastercard or amex warranty purchase "Buyer Protection" program? Just curious because I would like to know how it works because I will be buying my next PDP (Pioneer) with my MasterCard.
post #22 of 25 Old 10-27-2007, 11:37 AM
GC3
Advanced Member

Liked: 48
just buy a set with high reliability and skip the extended warranty
post #23 of 25 Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:

I don't think there is a whole bunch of luck involved here. Most people never have warranty issues three or four years down the line, that's why the EW's make such a hefty profit. Most of the failures occur well within the original warranty period. If you extend that by using one of the major credit cards, you have a nice cushion with no additional cost.

Chris, I agree with you that automobiles are more unpredictable than electronics, especially by virtue of their mechanical nature. EW's are offered on cars all the time, but most people buy without one anyway!

You're never lost, because no matter where you go...There you are!
post #24 of 25 Old 10-27-2007, 04:56 PM

Extended Warranties are an insurance product - and a very profitable one for the insurance companies.

The best reason to get insurance is if you can't afford the loss if something goes wrong. This is the reason most people buy home and car insurance.

If something goes wrong on your Plasma, 3 years down the line - and you don't believe you will be able to afford to repair/replace. It's a good idea to get a EW.

If you can, you're probably not making a good financial decision, as the expected claims cost on these contracts is probably close to 20-25% of their price.

With all of the extended warranties I've turned down over the years, on my car, my appliances and electronic equipment. I can probably come close to paying for a pretty serious repair.
post #25 of 25 Old 10-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

VANN'S (highly rated dealer in Montana), primary sales are thru their online website.

Well, I don't know if they are a Pioneer authorized dealer, but over the summer Vann's was selling last year's 42" ELITE plasma, online, at closeout prices.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page