The Consumer Reports Jury is back...Samsung 5084...not glowing - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

All of this hulaballoo does not even matter... I, as I am sure many of you, already own a 5084. Who cares what other think about it, TO LATE TO LATE

And that is all that should matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nope, I own the Panasonic 50-PX600U which was rated number 3 only out of 17 in last years consumer reports issue only beaten by the larger 58" panny and a Hitachi of all things.

Of course my 600U is far superior to the 5084 and probably superior to the 5085 as well. You can't beat Panasonic for price and performance. You Pioneer cult members can keep praising you Pioneers but you paid way too much.
post #33 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

What are you Smoking? Those magazines take ad revenue from the very products they review. Consumer Reports does not take any advertising. I used to subscribe to Home Theater Magazine until they reviewed a Cary Audio Pre/Pro Amp combo with an advertisement and endorsement from Home Theater in the same issue the product was reviewed. Cary Audio glowed about their review in Home Theater Magazine in the same issue it was reviewed in. If that's not selling ads, I don't know what is.

Consumer reports is unbiased and they have spent thousands of dollars building listening and viewing areas for accurate reviews and calibration. I have been a Consumer Reports subscriber for over 20 years.

I said it months ago and I will say it again. I told you so. I was not impressed with the Pioneer 5080 or the Samsung. Panasonic makes the best plasmas by performance and cost.

AVS forum is biased by forum sponsors selling Pioneer plasmas and Pioneer fans who only see perfection in Pioneer when perfection does not reflect the picture quality.

I have always said Pioneer Elites are excellent but very expensive.

It's another clean sweep for Panasonic. The main reason for the big price drops in plasma pricing is directly due to Panasonic and Vizio with their pricing wars.

So by your logic every AV review site must be getting paid off by Pioneer by giving them great reviews, including tests which show that Pioneer's black levels are nearly perfect.

I don't own a Pioneer (yet), and have not decided if my next TV will be a Panny, Samsung or Pioneer. But to say that the Panasonic is better basd on a CR review is foolish.
post #34 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nope, I own the Panasonic 50-PX600U which was rated number 3 only out of 17 in last years consumer reports issue only beaten by the larger 58" panny and a Hitachi of all things.

Of course my 600U is far superior to the 5084 and probably superior to the 5085 as well. You can't beat Panasonic for price and performance. You Pioneer cult members can keep praising you Pioneers but you paid way too much.

Ya, ok. I own a 9th gen Pansonic plasma myself. The difference between me and you is I am not ashamed to admit when another brand does something better than what I own.

A properly calibrated Samsung has much more accurate colors than a Panasonic. Samsung plasmas also do not float blacks like the 9G Panasonics do. And don't even say you don't see the floating blacks either. You can easily see them with a non-anamorphic DVD in a low-light view environment.
post #35 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

If you feel so passionate about dissing AVS, why are you here? You're condoning a public forum that you willfully post on? Yet you want point the finger and say "hey this mag and/or message forum is not credible as they profit from ads". You know how silly that sounds?

I'm with the coalition of freedom fighters. I condone nothing. This is not a public forum, it's a media magazine disguised as a forum.

I'm just here to tell all the Pioneer fanboys, I told you so witht the 5085 being put in it's place by Consumer Reports.
post #36 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm with the coalition of freedom fighters. I condone nothing. This is not a public forum, it's a media magazine disguised as a forum.

I'm just here to tell all the Pioneer fanboys, I told you so witht the 5085 being put in it's place by Consumer Reports.

You're right. It's not a public forum. It's actually a members only forum that is open to the public and doesn't charge the public to be a member. Can you say the same for CR....freedom fighter?
post #37 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarono View Post

So by your logic every AV review site must be getting paid off by Pioneer by giving them great reviews, including tests which show that Pioneer's black levels are nearly perfect.

I don't own a Pioneer (yet), and have not decided if my next TV will be a Panny, Samsung or Pioneer. But to say that the Panasonic is better basd on a CR review is foolish.

You're a noob. Congrats on your 11th post. You know nothing. It's not just the plasma tv payola that corrupts the minds of readers. It's the entire electronics market that pays magazines and internet sites for positive reviews. The worst offender is CNet.com. They have no expertise in anything. Just a bunch of Stanford and Berkeley english major grads writing reviews.
post #38 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're right. It's not a public forum. It's actually a members only forum that is open to the public and doesn't charge the public to be a member. Can you say the same for CR....freedom fighter?

Not true. AVS Forum has a AVS Special Member or Gold membership of some sort that is paid for. You and I are too cheap to pay the membership fee.
post #39 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Let's get real. There is no bigger Fanboy than a Panasonic Fanboy. They run into Best Buy waving their Consumer Reports article like sheep to slaughter. Grainy picture, motion artifacts, crummy SD performance---no problem, Consumer Reports says it's great so it must be. Cover up the label in any video store and panny would never sell a plasma
post #40 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Let's get real. There is no bigger Fanboy than a Panasonic Fanboy. They run into Best Buy waving their Consumer Reports article like sheep to slaughter. Grainy picture, motion artifacts, crummy SD performance---no problem, Consumer Reports says it's great so it must be. Cover up the label in any video store and panny would never sell a plasma

How assumptive are you? I would never buy a plasma from BestBuy. I bought my Panasonic Plasma from Newegg.com for $1,500. That's the top of the line Panny with Cable Card and PC input. It also accepts 1080p signals.
post #41 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not true. AVS Forum has a AVS Special Member or Gold membership of some sort that is paid for. You and I are too cheap to pay the membership fee.

Me choosing not get the AVS gold membership has nothing to do with financials. I found no personal benefits for myself getting it. Plain and simple.

Now on to you....

Thoroughly reviewing your post history, you seem to have an ego complex that requires constant reassurances that your current purchases are for superior to what you previously owned (Denon vs Emotiva). That has spilled over into saying that your purchasing decisions are also superior to others. You continually attempt to call others fanboys, yet you show all the symptoms of one (per your entire post history).

Everyone has the right to believe in something....or themselves in your case. However no one has the right to judge another's decisions.

You keep talking of Pioneer fanboys, yet you probably would be the most vocal one if you owned a Pioneer.....especially an Elite.
post #42 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How assumptive are you? I would never buy a plasma from BestBuy. I bought my Panasonic Plasma from Newegg.com for $1,500. That's the top of the line Panny with Cable Card and PC input. It also accepts 1080p signals.

It only accepts 1080p/60 which is a good thing as the 9G consumer line doesn't do very well with 3:2 pulldown.
post #43 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice Ad Hominem argument. Never said you purchased at BB, just that you are a fanboy
post #44 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Me choosing not get the AVS gold membership has nothing to do with financials. I found no personal benefits for myself getting it. Plain and simple.

Now on to you....

Thoroughly reviewing your post history, you seem to have an ego complex that requires constant reassurances that your current purchases are for superior to what you previously owned (Denon vs Emotiva). That has spilled over into saying that your purchasing decisions are also superior to others. You continually attempt to call others fanboys, yet you show all the symptoms of one (per your entire post history).

Everyone has the right to believe in something....or themselves in your case. However no one has the right to judge another's decisions.

You keep talking of Pioneer fanboys, yet you probably would be the most vocal on if you owned one.....especially an Elite.

Thanks for your opinion Mr. Freud. Yet you've got almost 6,000 posts and I've been here longer than you. I'm not the one who needs to be heard on average several times a day. I seek the best value for the money. Expensive items provide diminished returns. Emotiva makes solid products, so I bought the value pre/pro and amp.

I don't need reassurance. I'm the best!
post #45 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for your opinion Mr. Freud. Yet you've got almost 6,000 posts and I've been here longer than you. I'm not the one who needs to be heard on average several times a day. I seek the best value for the money. Expensive items provide diminished returns. Emotiva makes solid products, so I bought the value pre/pro and amp.

I don't need reassurance. I'm the best!

Case and point
post #46 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It only accepts 1080p/60 which is a good thing as the 9G consumer line doesn't do very well with 3:2 pulldown.

There's no evidence of this in your absence of evidence. Your statements are heresay and filled with malice for Pansonic.

I am a golden god!
post #47 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There's no evidence of this in your absence of evidence. Your statements are heresay and filled with malice for Pansonic.

I am a golden god!

Would you like a link to the HDGuru site where the information is located? Nevermind...here you go:

"Following up on Nick’s question from Dec. 1 –

1.Does the Panasonic 50PX600U pass the deinterlace and 3:2 pulldown test?

2. Does the Pioneer 5070HD allow display at 72 HZ ?

1. Yes (deinterlace); no (3:2 test)

2. Yes

The HD Guru"

http://hdguru.com/?p=18

Now are you going to say that Gary Merson is a fraud????
post #48 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Would you like a link to the HDGuru site where the information is located? Nevermind...here you go:

"Following up on Nick's question from Dec. 1 -

1.Does the Panasonic 50PX600U pass the deinterlace and 3:2 pulldown test?

2. Does the Pioneer 5070HD allow display at 72 HZ ?

1. Yes (deinterlace); no (3:2 test)

2. Yes

The HD Guru"

http://hdguru.com/?p=18

Now are you going to say that Gary Merson is a fraud????

I don't have to, you just said it yourself. Consumer Reports is the bible. The internet is full of experts without degrees from MIT. Everyone here is an expert.
post #49 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't have to, you just said it yourself. Consumer Reports is the bible. The internet is full of experts without degrees from MIT. Everyone here is an expert.

Case and point...again.
post #50 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Case and point...again.

Ditto! His proclamations say it all. Why bother arguing with God

dv
post #51 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:

You're a noob. Congrats on your 11th post. You know nothing. It's not just the plasma tv payola that corrupts the minds of readers. It's the entire electronics market that pays magazines and internet sites for positive reviews. The worst offender is CNet.com. They have no expertise in anything. Just a bunch of Stanford and Berkeley english major grads writing reviews.

Yeah you're right, I know nothing. My mind is so corrupted by the AVS forum led by the Evil Pioneer Empire that the Pioneer Plasma's somehow look better to me than the Panny's, Vizio's, etc.
post #52 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

wow... just... wow...

what do we have here, an escapee from the hdm wars or something?

i, for one, am glad i don't live in a world of paranoia where everything is determined by payoffs and underhanded dealings...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #53 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 05:57 PM

Consumer reports compared the Pioneer 768p 5080 model with the Panasonic 50" Z700 1080p model. Bottom line is that they should have compared the Pan 50" 1080p with the 1080p Pioneer, but CR is dumb so they did not. If they did, CR probably still would have rated the Pioneer lower then the Panasonic because of the big price tag on the Pioneer and would have given the Panasonic the overall value award.
post #54 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I gave up on Consumer Reports for TV ratings years ago when they were testing 25 inch & 27 inch tube sets when they stated that most of the people rating the sets could not tell if a set they were looking at was a 25 inch model or a 27 inch model when it came to screen size.

Just incase you forgot, all 25 inch sets had round corners & the 27 inch sets had square corners. So they were & are not using "EXPERTS" to rate TVs.

From what someone told me, don't know if it's true or not, but they go around the office & pick a bunch of people to rate the sets against each other & against a master "Pro Monitor" displaying a calibrated so-called perfect picture. In otherwords just your average viewer.

For the average person that knows nothing about certain products though you probably can't go wrong with most of their ratings.
post #55 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselgg View Post

Consumer reports compared the Pioneer 768p 5080 model with the Panasonic 50" Z700 1080p model. Bottom line is that they should have compared the Pan 50" 1080p with the 1080p Pioneer, but CR is dumb so they did not. If they did, CR probably still would have rated the Pioneer lower then the Panasonic because of the big price tag on the Pioneer and would have given the Panasonic the overall value award.

You didn't read the article very well. The Panasonic 75U also beat the Pioneer 5080. The 1080p panny took top honors. Consumer reports did in fact compare 720p sets head to head and panasonic wins.

I should also note not all forum sponsors here are bad. Monoprice.com and HSUResearch are wonderful companies as well as Oppo, Yamaha, Runco, JVC and Optoma.

My main criticism is specifically for the forum sponsors who sell plasmas here. The drop shippers that have no inventory, but claim expertise. The guys that used to sell computers, cars etc. and now sell plasmas.
post #56 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

wow... just... wow...

what do we have here, an escapee from the hdm wars or something?

i, for one, am glad i don't live in a world of paranoia where everything is determined by payoffs and underhanded dealings...

I envy you. You have the ability to see life through rose colored glasses. It's not just the AV market, it's everywhere in government. Boeing lost a big tanker deal years ago for military 767's with military officials convicted of approving for overpayed lease prices. The deal was nixed and people went to prison. Why do you think Boeing's headquarters are now in the windy city of Chicago? Who do you think brokered the deal? Crooked Illinois politicians who now claim Boeing as one of their many fortune 500 companies.

The music industry has paid over $1 billion in price fixing fines over the last 10years but the music industry will have you believe piracy is the reason for the steady decline in music sales.

I guess I'm just paranoid!
post #57 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Word
post #58 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hilarious post.

Not only that, but as I've stated here before...

HDMI has been out now for at least 3 years (2004) and still Consumer Reports, in their TV display rankings, uses only the Component input for the "DVD image quality" ratings! Yet HDMI is the main input for viewing non cable/satellite content (and most displays now have between 2 to 4 HDMI inputs).

And this can affect the rankings. For example, SHARP is one of the best LCD brands, but if viewing DVD (Blu-ray, or HD DVD) thru their Component inputs, they usually "fail" to deinterlace film-signal content [do not pick up the 3:2 pulldown sequence]. But the Sharp models have no problem with this in the HDMI inputs, and "pass" the deinterlacing tests.

So, Consumer Reports value in reviews is limited, and can't be relied on with any certainty because of their own review/ranking criteria, which IMO leans heavily to "value" (or actual prices) in addition to their opinions as to the quality of each display.
post #59 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

I envy you. You have the ability to see life through rose colored glasses. It's not just the AV market, it's everywhere in government. Boeing lost a big tanker deal years ago for military 767's with military officials convicted of approving for overpayed lease prices. The deal was nixed and people went to prison. Why do you think Boeing's headquarters are now in the windy city of Chicago? Who do you think brokered the deal? Crooked Illinois politicians who now claim Boeing as one of their many fortune 500 companies.

The music industry has paid over $1 billion in price fixing fines over the last 10years but the music industry will have you believe piracy is the reason for the steady decline in music sales.

nope. i don't see it through rose-colored glasses. i understand and comprehend that not everything is on the straight and narrow. where i get off the bus (so to speak) is when someone insists that EVERYTHING is crooked... trust me... it's safe to say i'm no fan of large corporations and the way they operate...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #60 of 350 Old 10-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

This thread cracks me up!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page