The Consumer Reports Jury is back...Samsung 5084...not glowing - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You can usually view Pio, Panny and Samsung side by side. If you do the Panasonic will always have the worst picture: dark, grainy with motion artifacts. Don't listen to the Panny Fanboys check for yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 03:42 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

You can usually view Pio, Panny and Samsung side by side. If you do the Panasonic will always have the worst picture: dark, grainy with motion artifacts. Don't listen to the Panny Fanboys check for yourself

I will admit the Panasonic 1080p models are dark compared to other brands, but the picture is definitely not grainy. If there are motion artifacts, they must be coming from the source. The picture on my PZ700U is not grainy at all, and i have absolutely no motion artifacts. Where are you seeing these Panasonic problems? In your own home? Or at stores?

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #183 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Everyone can check the picture quality. Samsung flickers and judders when the background is white. It is very annoying to watch. Samsung breaks down more often. Read the Consumer Reports review. They don't lie. They rank Vizio higher than Samsung and rightfully so.

Panasonic and Pioneer Elite are the best. Panasonic is a bright clean picture that is fun to watch. The regular Pioneer isn't as great, but it is still good.

Consumer Reports Scores

Panasonic TH-50PZ700U - 81
Panasonic TH-50PX75U -- 78
Vizio JV50P ---------------- 72
Samsung 5084 ------------ 68

Why would anyone want to buy the lowest rated plasma? Samsung scored a D which is a failing grade.

Buy a Panasonic and be happy that you have the best plasma.
post #184 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Omeletpants - your unsubstantiated, redundant Panny bashing posts are seriously starting to sound like a broken record. If there was an /ignore option on this forum, you would be at the top of my list.

Many of us are very happy with the PQ : price ratio on our Pany 700 series plasmas [which, when combined with the reliability statistics, is undoubtedly the rationale supporting CR's positive review]. These are good panels for budget minded consumers and they have received good, but not great, reviews across the board. At half the price of an equivalent Pioneer, I can live without the world's best black levels and 1080p/24.
post #185 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I will admit the Panasonic 1080p models are dark compared to other brands, but the picture is definitely not grainy. If there are motion artifacts, they must be coming from the source. The picture on my PZ700U is not grainy at all, and i have absolutely no motion artifacts. Where are you seeing these Panasonic problems? In your own home? Or at stores?

Amen to that. As usual, Randy hits the nail on the head.
post #186 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I cannot say what the 5 best units are. I have only worked on the latest Pioneer and Panasonic units. I have few requests to work on low cost brands. All I can say is that I will buy a Pioneer Elite next year. I would just save my change and get a Pioneer if you want a plasma.

However, I doubt the other plasmas for this year do not perform inverse telecine.

Thanks for your input UMR. As far as reverse telecine, from what I'm reading, I don't think any other sets perform this properly. I'm going by the fact that the sets don't do 72hz or any other multiple of 24hz.

Also, I see Cnet failing them in 1080i film resolution. My thought being this is due to not performing reverse telecine correctly. Am I missing something?

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...html?tag=uolst
post #187 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post

Omeletpants - your unsubstantiated, redundant Panny bashing posts are seriously starting to sound like a broken record. If there was an /ignore option on this forum, you would be at the top of my list.

Many of us are very happy with the PQ : price ratio on our Pany 700 series plasmas [which, when combined with the reliability statistics, is undoubtedly the rationale supporting CR's positive review]. These are good panels for budget minded consumers and they have received good, but not great, reviews across the board. At half the price of an equivalent Pioneer, I can live without the world's best black levels and 1080p/24.

I totally agree. Panasonic is a bad @ss TV. If I came over to your house and saw you had a new Panny 700u, I would compliment you on how cool your TV is. I still chose to Pio because to me it looks better. Thats all that really matters.
post #188 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

Buy a Panasonic. They are rated the best and they are the best. Nothing wrong with a Pioneer they make a good plasma too. Just stay away from Samsung. You can see on page one it is ranked too low by the best review magazine that is not bribed into giving glowing reviews. To get a good review in CR the plasma must earn it.

If I implicity trusted CR reviews, I wouldn't be asking the question here. I've been posting on forums and collecting info. from them for several years. The folks on the forum more often than not have insight into products that CR just doesn't have. You have to consider the amount of time and effort CR puts into reviewing things. It just can't compare to the time and experience of forum members like UMR. It's really great to have someone like him answer your questions.

More often than not the board members give me better info. that the magazine reviews.

Mike
post #189 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I would never own a Panasonic, so it would be the stores. Side-by-side the Panny exhibits problems not seen on the Pioneer or Samsung. I see this everywhere I go. You can say the problem is the feed but if that's the case then why don't the others exhibit those same issues on the same feed?

I will admit that I did see the latest Panny twice last weekend and of all the times I have compared the new ones looked pretty good. However, it wasn't in the class of the Kuro and it was dark and gloomy compared to the Samsung. But for anyone to say the Panasonic is superior is just a fanboy
post #190 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike View Post

Thanks for your input UMR. As far as reverse telecine, from what I'm reading, I don't think any other sets perform this properly. I'm going by the fact that the sets don't do 72hz or any other multiple of 24hz.

Also, I see Cnet failing them in 1080i film resolution. My thought being this is due to not performing reverse telecine correctly. Am I missing something?

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...html?tag=uolst

Probably. Judder removal is different from inverse telecine. The difference between a 3:3 progressive cadence and 3:2 is very subtle. The difference between 1080i that is not inverse telecined when it is film to 3:2 progressive is huge.

I do not see many displays failing to resolve 1080i completely these days. I would be careful about these ratings. They may just not know how to properly set the product up. I see this all the time in my work. This of course will happen to most consumers as well. It is more a problem with the complexity of todays products than a lack of processing in many cases. This is probably less true with products from very low cost manufacturers.

The forum is not properly weighting what aspects of a display are most important for a quality image in most cases in IMO. Many minor features are fretted over while major factors are ignored.
post #191 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Probably. Judder removal is different from inverse telecine. The difference between a 3:3 progressive cadence and 3:2 is very subtle. The difference between 1080i that is not inverse telecined when it is film to 3:2 progressive is huge.

I do not see many displays failing to resolve 1080i completely these days. I would be careful about these ratings. They may just not know how to properly set the product up. I see this all the time in my work. This of course will happen to most consumers as well. It is more a problem with the complexity of todays products than a lack of processing in many cases. This is probably less true with products from very low cost manufacturers.

The forum is not properly weighting what aspects of a display are most important for a quality image in most cases in IMO. Many minor features are fretted over while major factors are ignored.

Hmm, that's interesting, I was concerned with proper reverse telecine after reading an article about processings tests done by HDguru where they claim the vast majority of sets don't do very well in the processing department, scaling, deinterlacing, and reverse 3:2.

That being said, what do you think are the most important aspects to look for in a display?

I've thought the following.

1: CR ratio.
2: Proper gray scale ramp (black level) and ability to resolve shadow detail.
3: Color accuracy
4: Processing
5: Resolution

I was thinking of the Pioneer Pro-FHD1, but the raves are in about the new 8G glass due to black level.

Mike
post #192 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Omeletpants - your unsubstantiated, redundant Panny bashing posts are seriously starting to sound like a broken record.

But doogiehowser's oh-so-well-informed and exhaustively researched Korean-bashing Panasonic fanboyism is music to your ears?

Here's a fly in the ointment: WHAT HiFi? ranks the UK Samsung PS-50Q97HDX plasma as the best performance per dollar set on the market. However, it's no competition in quality terms for the Pioneer 5080, which it proclaims is so much better than any other flat panel you can buy, that it is not much of a stretch to say it's a revolution in televisions. "Fair to say it's the best telly we've ever seen". Says that the Panasonic 50PZ700 is a Full HD Plasma from ONE OF THE BEST (note, Panny fanboys - not THE BEST) brands in the business, but that the "Pioneer's black levels flatten it". The summary for the best-rated Samsung: "Detail is amazing, while contrast levels and faithful blacks make for an amazing watching experience. There's a good quality digital tuner built-in and the build and finish are impressive". Pioneer and Samsung get 5 stars; the Panasonic gets 4. They give the Panasonic 50PX70 5 stars, but still rank it behind the Samsunug overall.

WHAT HiFi? is a far more comprehensive magazine than any I've seen that are produced on this side of the pond. I really do have to laugh at the Panasonic fanboys, though - at the beginning of this thread, Hans Gruber said that his Panasonic TV finised 3rd in the CR reviews, behind the 58" Panasonic and a "Hitachi, of all things". Why exactly would that be surprising? What, did he think something like an electric blender would finish 2nd? At least this year Panasonic has decided to give their customers a decent-looking bezel and stand. Looking at the cheap, plasticky 60 and 600 series from last year, it's not hard to see how Panasonic was able to offer such aggressive pricing.
post #193 of 350 Old 11-01-2007, 06:50 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike View Post

That being said, what do you think are the most important aspects to look for in a display?

I've thought the following.

1: CR ratio.
2: Proper gray scale ramp (black level) and ability to resolve shadow detail.
3: Color accuracy
4: Processing
5: Resolution

I was thinking of the Pioneer Pro-FHD1, but the raves are in about the new 8G glass due to black level.

Mike

It is tough to give a specific rating because very poor performance in one area can wreck a perfectly good product.

I would rate products for a specific application based on something like the following:

1. Gamma, color accuracy, light output, black level, minimal to no loss of bit depth
2. Light engine artifacts (rainbows, SSE, chromatic abberations...)
3. Screen size
4. Geometric accuracy
5. Resolution
6. Inverse telecine performance
7. Scaler performance
8. Motion adaptive deinterlacer performance
9. Display input number and type
10. User menu flexibility
11. Support of remote discrete codes
12. Support of Deep Color
13. Judder removal
14. Automatic lipsync support
15. Support of xvYCC color space
post #194 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I would never own a Panasonic, so it would be the stores. Side-by-side the Panny exhibits problems not seen on the Pioneer or Samsung. I see this everywhere I go. You can say the problem is the feed but if that's the case then why don't the others exhibit those same issues on the same feed?

I will admit that I did see the latest Panny twice last weekend and of all the times I have compared the new ones looked pretty good. However, it wasn't in the class of the Kuro and it was dark and gloomy compared to the Samsung. But for anyone to say the Panasonic is superior is just a fanboy

Everything you say is absurd. You can't just walk into a BB or Circuit City and base your decision on uncallibrated sets. When you consider price and reliability Panasonic is at the top of Consumer Reports lists for the last 20 years. Panasonic products break less than every other manufacturer with the exception of Toshiba which has invested most of their time in DLP tvs.

Pioneer has always been known to be one of the most unreliable of the Japanese brands. You can also include Hitachi and Sony in poorer reliability.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pioneer 5080 is not 1920x1080 it's 1366x768. The black levels of the Pioneer didn't look natural but exageratedl. The colors were not smooth and the plasma was hardly revolutionary. I've looked at the Pioneer 5080 at a real Magnolia Hifi store. For all of you noobs, Magnolia Hifi is a Seattle based company purchased by Best Buy.
post #195 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moematthews View Post

But doogiehowser's oh-so-well-informed and exhaustively researched Korean-bashing Panasonic fanboyism is music to your ears?

Here's a fly in the ointment: WHAT HiFi? ranks the UK Samsung PS-50Q97HDX plasma as the best performance per dollar set on the market. However, it's no competition in quality terms for the Pioneer 5080, which it proclaims is so much better than any other flat panel you can buy, that it is not much of a stretch to say it's a revolution in televisions. "Fair to say it's the best telly we've ever seen". Says that the Panasonic 50PZ700 is a Full HD Plasma from ONE OF THE BEST (note, Panny fanboys - not THE BEST) brands in the business, but that the "Pioneer's black levels flatten it". The summary for the best-rated Samsung: "Detail is amazing, while contrast levels and faithful blacks make for an amazing watching experience. There's a good quality digital tuner built-in and the build and finish are impressive". Pioneer and Samsung get 5 stars; the Panasonic gets 4. They give the Panasonic 50PX70 5 stars, but still rank it behind the Samsunug overall.

WHAT HiFi? is a far more comprehensive magazine than any I've seen that are produced on this side of the pond. I really do have to laugh at the Panasonic fanboys, though - at the beginning of this thread, Hans Gruber said that his Panasonic TV finised 3rd in the CR reviews, behind the 58" Panasonic and a "Hitachi, of all things". Why exactly would that be surprising? What, did he think something like an electric blender would finish 2nd? At least this year Panasonic has decided to give their customers a decent-looking bezel and stand. Looking at the cheap, plasticky 60 and 600 series from last year, it's not hard to see how Panasonic was able to offer such aggressive pricing.

You've got a lot of nerve insulting the great Hans Gruber. I'm going to cut you some slack because you're Canadian and probably don't know any better. If I had a loonie or toonie for every time somebody slammed Panasonic in favor of Pioneer, I'd have enough coins to buy a Pioneer Elite.

The UK uses PAL which is significantly different than NTSC used by team America. Those wanks also use direct current instead of AC current we use here in north america.

The 600U is not ugly. Most people think the 600U looks great and has a superior stand to the 60U. It has a cable card slot, SD Card Slot, PC input, TV guide, accepts 1080p signals and offers the best built in speakers of any plasma.

I like the look of the current generation Panasonic plasmas. Vizio is going to struggle greatly because of Panasonics ability to drive down pricing. This in turn makes Pioneer plasmas appear to be a waste of money. Considering you could buy a Blue Ray and HD-DVD player with a Panasonic plasma for the same price you would pay for a Pioneer 5080. If low prices were not important, people wouldn't shop at Costco.

I'm the best!
post #196 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

HAHA! Well I would think they would be evaluating a HD plasma with a High Definition signal and not SD PAL.
post #197 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 AM

I looked at a lot of panels both LCD and Plasma before I purchased my Sammy 5084 and I'll have to say I don't agree with the review by CR.
I'm pretty sure the KURO owners are a bit miffed as well.
Bottom line....I'm happy with my purchase and I hope everyone who has researched and purchased a panel is satisfied with their decision.
I'm glad there are so many choices at different price points and I have what I think is the most panel I could afford within my budget.
post #198 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

Everything you say is absurd. You can't just walk into a BB or Circuit City and base your decision on uncallibrated sets. When you consider price and reliability Panasonic is at the top of Consumer Reports lists for the last 20 years. Panasonic products break less than every other manufacturer with the exception of Toshiba which has invested most of their time in DLP tvs.

99% of plasma owners do not have their sets calibrated and you shouldn't have to spend an additional $500 to get performance. So, dealing in reality of how consumers use their sets Panasonic falls short.

Panasonic has not been in the plasma business for 20 years. The first consumer sets were sold in 1994. Panasonic has had a varied reputation for reliability. Their cordless phone line was terrible for many years and their audio equipment was considered low qaulity from a performance and reliability standard.
post #199 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

I agree w/ egg pants.

regardless of CR or anybody else

the brightness and crispness of the samsung is more evident then the panny and pio w/ they all have the same BB HD feed

why?

and why is it not even appauded by more reviewers?..

But. the SD is worse then the other two..not to mention souns
post #200 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Panasonic has had a varied reputation for reliability.

I still have my first DVD player (still working) - a Panasonic model (w/DTS) purchased Fall 1998 ($400). I don't use it in my main setup since it only has S-video and composite outputs [as there were no Component, DVI, or HDMI outputs in '98].

As for plasmas, I've been viewing many models closely since this past spring, and based on quality, reliability and price-value, in a few more weeks [probably Black Friday weekend], I will be purchasing one of the 720p 50" Panasonic models at a discount price. In my weekly visit to various retailers [to buy bargain-priced DVDs] the best image I've seen was on the 58" 720p Panasonic plasma [PX75U I think] - haven't viewed the newer 58" 1080p model yet, but I bet it rocks too.

I'm a current Sharp Aquos LCD owner moving to my first plasma, and one of the main reasons is because I'm really tired of "grayish blacks" in my dark theater room. Regardless of my lowering the LCD's picture control settings, there just are no real blacks with LCDs that use CCFL backlighting.

~ For Reliability, Quality, and Value - to me, PANASONIC is the best name in plasma! ~
post #201 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Looking on the bright side there are many good plasmas out there. The Sammy, Pioneer, Panny fans have certainly had their say here. If you're new to this and looking for a new plasma, you can't go wrong.
post #202 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY PELICAN View Post

I still have my first DVD player (still working) - a Panasonic model (w/DTS) purchased Fall 1998 ($400). I don't use it in my main setup since it only has S-video and composite outputs [as there were no Component, DVI, or HDMI outputs in '98].

As for plasmas, I've been viewing many models closely since this past spring, and based on quality, reliability and price-value, in a few more weeks [probably Black Friday weekend], I will be purchasing one of the 720p 50" Panasonic models at a discount price. In my weekly visit to various retailers [to buy bargain-priced DVDs] the best image I've seen was on the 58" 720p Panasonic plasma [PX75U I think] - haven't viewed the newer 58" 1080p model yet, but I bet it rocks too.

I'm a current Sharp Aquos LCD owner moving to my first plasma, and one of the main reasons is because I'm really tired of "grayish blacks" in my dark theater room. Regardless of my lowering the LCD's picture control settings, there just are no real blacks with LCDs that use CCFL backlighting.

~ For Reliability, Quality, and Value - to me, PANASONIC is the best name in plasma! ~

Glad that your 1998 Panny DVD player still works, but that kind of story is anecdotal and not proof of quality across millions of items produced. You would have to have internal data from every manufacturer and this is not available to the public. So, you are just providing a personal experience not fact.

You have been researching plasmas and like the Panny. That's great and I hope it works great for you. I applaud the fact that you have gone out and done your homework and made a decision based upon that. What I do scoff at is those that buy anything based on one article without doing extensive research. That's the case with many panny buyers. If you talk to salespeople they say the typical Panny buyer comes into the store waving the CR article and knows nothing about the alternatives. That's brainless buying.
post #203 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:

So let me get this straight, Rusty Pelican's "anecdotal" evidence proves nothing - but your own experiences and observations, based on your limited viewing of uncalibrated sets (undoubtedly set to torch mode) under big box store lighting makes you an expert on the failings of Pany's PQ? Not only have you revealed yourself to be an ignorant flamer, but a hypocrite as well.

Kindly refrain from further poisoning the well with your misinformed, logically flawed commentary. Professional calibration is not required to coax excellent PQ out of these panels - borrowed user settings from the owners thread work just fine. You have admitted that you have no experience with the performance of Panasonic's panels under regular viewing conditions, so stop pretending otherwise.
post #204 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Why is it plasma owners on this board are so mean spirited and have to pronounce "My TV is the best TV EVER and yours is crap!" You just don't see this kind of stuff over on the LCD side of the board. Plasma vs LCD, Pio vs Panny, Panny vs Samsung, Eite vs Non-Elite.

I am a new plasma owner and I love my TV. I think a lot plasma owners here on AVS need to take a deep breath and count to 10.
post #205 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So let me get this straight, Rusty Pelican's "anecdotal" evidence proves nothing - but your own experiences and observations, based on your limited viewing of uncalibrated sets (undoubtedly set to torch mode) under big box store lighting makes you an expert on the failings of Pany's PQ? Not only have you revealed yourself to be an ignorant flamer, but a hypocrite as well.

Kindly refrain from further poisoning the well with your misinformed, logically flawed commentary. Professional calibration is not required to coax excellent PQ out of these panels - borrowed user settings from the owners thread work just fine. You have admitted that you have no experience with the performance of Panasonic's panels under regular viewing conditions, so stop pretending otherwise.

Yeah, experience with one DVD player against millions produced is anecdotal evidence. Sorry that you have no understanding of mean time to failure analysis nor access to that information. For someone to say that panasonic quality is better then I expect to see some evidence. He has provided none and in fact, talked about how he viewed sets in stores and was able to judge quality. Tell me how you assess quality data from a viewing? That's not a very scientific method and I'm surprised that you support that conclusion.

Rarely do I see Panny sets in stores in torch mode unless torch mode means dingy, dark and lifeless. If that's torch mode, I would hate to see what happens with the other settings. It's incumbent upon the manufacturer to ship their sets with settings that will best display the plasmas capabilities. They know the conditions these sets will be displayed so maybe Panasonic is just stupid or doesn't care about how their sets look. Rant on fanboy and keep defending your purchase.
post #206 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

Why is it plasma owners on this board are so mean spirited and have to pronounce "My TV is the best TV EVER and yours is crap!" You just don't see this kind of stuff over on the LCD side of the board. Plasma vs LCD, Pio vs Panny, Panny vs Samsung, Eite vs Non-Elite.

I am a new plasma owner and I love my TV. I think a lot plasma owners here on AVS need to take a deep breath and count to 10.

I think they got sick of fighting about HD DVD and BD and need to fight about something.

You can't take most of them seriously. Use your own eyes. You'll be happy with any of these displays.

Pay attention to the threads about product issues and settings. These threads are purely for entertainment...pulp fiction.
post #207 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post

Use your own eyes. You'll be happy with any of these displays.

See, that's what I was relating - my eyes and viewing many models, several times, over several months, and at several stores.

Don't know about the calibration [didn't ask], as I still felt the 58" Panny had the best image, and it obviously was not in the "torch" [dynamic or vivid] mode, as I'm real sensitive to overly bright and oversaturated images - since I've been disappointed with my LCD's black levels [backlight/brightness settings adjusted downward], so if the Panny had been on "vivid" etc it would have been real noticeable.

I'm not knocking the Samsung plasmas either, as I don't have as much experience with their brand. However, the Sammy's images seem a little too sharp, from the times I've viewed them, and am curious if it's the TV's sharpness control turned up, or artificial "edge ehancement" (which I hate on standard-def DVD discs). The Panny plasmas just look better to me [although the premium Pioneer Kuro's are an upgrade in black levels, and cost too].
post #208 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY PELICAN View Post

Hate to pull rank here, Rusty. I have the original Toshiba flagship DVD player from 1997. I bought it in August 1997 and the model 3006 has component video inputs. Component inputs were available upon release of the DVD format. I can't speak for entry level players but the original Toshiba flagship has component inputs. It's the loudest player that I've ever heard. The original Video Essentials disk uses the Toshiba 3006 remote in the demos with the Toshiba logo covered up.

I would suggest you purchase the 77U over the 75U. I assume just like my 600U, the current generation pannys accept 1080p signals from sources with internal 1080p processiong. I don't know if Pioneer or Samsung 1366x768 plasmas accept 1080p signals from Blue Ray or HD-DVD players. I'm using the Philips DVP-5982 standard def DVD player that upconverts standard DVD's to 1080p.
post #209 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

99% of plasma owners do not have their sets calibrated and you shouldn't have to spend an additional $500 to get performance. So, dealing in reality of how consumers use their sets Panasonic falls short.

Panasonic has not been in the plasma business for 20 years. The first consumer sets were sold in 1994. Panasonic has had a varied reputation for reliability. Their cordless phone line was terrible for many years and their audio equipment was considered low qaulity from a performance and reliability standard.

Omeletpants, your statements are completely false. Cordless phones were terrible by every manufacturer for well over 10 years. We are talking about plasmas here. Panasonic is on its 10th generation plasma while Pioneer is on its 8th and I think Samsung is on it's 6th generation plasma. I'm not sure which company invented plasma technology, I think it may be Fujitsu.

Technics was Panasonics line of AV equipment and for years they made the best CD and phono players on the market. They also made very good surround sound receivers at the time.

Panasonics reliability has been their strongest attribute for decades. If you know anything about Japan you would know that Japan is run by a kiratsu. If my spelling is wrong, sorry. This is a tightly guarded monopoly of vendors who control who gets into the Japanese market. The kiratsu controls the sales of components and parts. This form of collusion is illegal in the United States. That's why Mitsubishi makes electronics, cars and a whole lot of other stuff. The same can be said about Panasonics parent company Matsu****a.

History lesson is over for now.
post #210 of 350 Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would say that 90% of plasma owners here have calibrated their plasmas by either using Digital Video Essentials or AVIA or used settings from others who have had their sets professionally calibrated. Unlike Rear Projection CRT's, I see little difference in picture between identical plasmas using the same settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page