HDMI audio out on Panny plasmas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Bit of an HDMI newbie...if I buy a new Panny plasma with HDMI inputs.... where does my fancy 5.1 optical audio go? My receiver only takes optical and coax digital inputs, not HDMI... Do the TVs have optical out passthrough from the HDMI input?? Is there such a thing as a cable with HDMI on one end and HDMI + optical or coax output on the other?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No hdmi audio out from TV through optical as far as I know. Only optical in on the TV. Just run the optical (or coax) out from your cable box to your receiver and mute your TV (or turn the volume all the way down if your tv shows an annoying "mute" icon when muted) when you want to use the surround system. I've never heard of an hdmi cable with optical out on one end.

~Bill
post #3 of 3 Old 11-05-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Bit of an HDMI newbie...if I buy a new Panny plasma with HDMI inputs.... where does my fancy 5.1 optical audio go? My receiver only takes optical and coax digital inputs, not HDMI... Do the TVs have optical out passthrough from the HDMI input?? Is there such a thing as a cable with HDMI on one end and HDMI + optical or coax output on the other?? Thanks!

While it would make sense for a TV to pass the 5.1 signal on to the receiver via optical or coax, thanks to (nonsensical) copy protection restrictions, this is not allowed.

You will need to run coax/optical directly from the source (cable box, dvd player, video game system, etc) to the receiver. It also means that you'll need to switch inputs on both the TV and the receiver, which is a pain in the ass.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page