Component vs. HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you really notice a difference between HDMI and component? My A/V reciever does component video switching but not HDMI.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Both HDMI and component are high quality video cables, which is best depends on the equipment and personal tastes. Some equipment works better with component, some with HDMI and some make no difference at all. Often cable/satellite boxes work best with component as they have no digital handshake issues which slow down HDMI when changing channels or inputs. The only way to know for sure what is best for you is to try both and decide for yourself with your own equipment., both are capable of the highest quality video. Many people blindly believe HDMI is best but very often component is better.

I use both cables, component combined with Toslink for my cablebox/DVR and HDMI for my Blu-ray player. I also use VGA and Toslink from my computer to my 50 inch Panasonic TH-50PH9UK.

When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming and scared like the other three people in his car!
post #3 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntherotto View Post

Do you really notice a difference between HDMI and component?

I do, but only because of HDCP, and not any real technical difference.
post #4 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locastor View Post

I do, but only because of HDCP, and not any real technical difference.

Yes, HDCP can create problems with HDMI connections, component cable does not have this problem.

When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming and scared like the other three people in his car!
post #5 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
On all my DVRs and all my TVs, i've noticed an ever so slight increase in sharpness and detail with HDMI in input-to-input comparisons, but if i hadn't tested them side-by-side i probably wouldn't have noticed the difference. Like RichGuy said, your equipment as well as your personal preferences will determine which cable you like better with any particular device and TV.

Experiment

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have both on my system and no matter how hard I look see no difference. Frankly, I haven't seen any studies that prove there is a difference
post #7 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

I have both on my system and no matter how hard I look see no difference. Frankly, I haven't seen any studies that prove there is a difference

There is really not a difference in the video PQ ability of the cables themselves. There is a difference in some TV displays or some devices as to how they support the inputs/outputs as to resolution and digital conversions. It is the individual equipment which plays the important role as to which cable works best or if they will work the same.

post #8 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGuy View Post

There is really not a difference in the video PQ ability of the cables themselves. There is a difference in some TV displays or some devices as to how they support the inputs/outputs as to resolution and digital conversions. It is the individual equipment which plays the important role as to which cable works best or if they will work the same.

I understand but if the sets support the same resolutions then I don't think there will be a difference.
post #9 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Yes, HDCP can create problems with HDMI connections, component cable does not have this problem.

Haha, I wasn't even thinking of that, tbh.

I was thinking about the fact I can't get 1080p over component on most TVs because of the MAFIAA's paranoia and insistence upon HDCP.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 08:55 AM

So dumb question coming....

I can still use component cables and still recieve a HD picture?
post #11 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3oosted View Post

Yes. I think component cables support 720p and 1080i, but not 1080p.

I use the HD cable box, although the PQ is the same for both cables, HDMI cable causes a small problem of sound and delay when I change channel.

If you have PS3, it's better to use HDMI since it can upconvert.
post #12 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3oosted View Post

Absolutely -- I used it for years, changing to HDMI only as a one-wire convenience. I swear I can't tell the difference in PQ. Go for it!

Mike Rife

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

post #13 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Actually, Component will support 1080p, but none of the hi-def industry content (and disc players) support sending a 1080p signal over component. But I believe you can send a 1080p signal from the XBox360's VGA output (to your TV's component input, in 1080p using an adapter) - somebody might want to clarify this.

FYI...

HDMI, DVI, Firewire = DIGITAL inputs

Component, Composite, S-Video = ANALOG inputs

Component is the only analog input capable of viewing a hi-def signal in full resolution (either 720p or 1080i).
post #14 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 AM

I've never understood this debate. As Rusty P. said, HDMI = digital, component = analog. Why would anyone not want to use HDMI to send their digital signal to their digital TV, and keep the info contained in the signal in the digital domain (lossless)? When you use component, the signal has to be converted from digital to analog, then your TV has to convert it from analog back to digital (lossy). Some info (picture information) will be lost in the conversion - this is a fact for any D/A - A/D conversion. Whether there are noticeable effects depends on the equipment on each end of the cable.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gunner View Post

I've never understood this debate. As Rusty P. said, HDMI = digital, component = analog. Why would anyone not want to use HDMI to send their digital signal to their digital TV, and keep the info contained in the signal in the digital domain (lossless)?

Sometimes HDMI is not the best choice, even though in theory it gives the best PQ.

1. Some people get HDCP handshake problems from their providers HD STB and the only way around it is to use Component. Or move to another city.

2. My GF's LCD TV shifts the image a few inches to the left when using HDMI so we use component to avoid the problem. We've tried 3 different STBs so the TV obviously has a problem, but Component eliminates the problem.

3. Many people think the colors look richer and more natural with Component compared to HDMI. I've seen this stated on the various AVSForums many times over the past few years.

But i agree that HDMI should be used whenever possible, but it's just not always possible.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #16 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 12:11 PM

My parents go sick of the HDMI issues they had with their Cox HD DVR and their Mitsu DLP, so I switched them to Component..they say they can't even tell the difference.
post #17 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM

When I got my Panasonic 42PZ77U I used component cables for my ps3 and my hd-dvr while waiting for my hdmi cables to get here. The only difference I could tell between them was that using component on the cable box the picture was VERY slightly shifted to the right. With hdmi it was perfectly centered. As far as picture quality goes I couldn't a difference at all.
post #18 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Some like Component better than HDMI. Often it's more contrasty looking.

I use HDMI to my plasma and it looks fine (only one connection, from a HTPC.)

On and LCD in my bedroom, I use Component, because it looks a little punchier and my wife likes the color better (HDMI gives a slight "milky film" appearance.)

If you are happy with the picture, just enjoy it. The grass may not be greener with HDMI....
post #19 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, the HDMI folks need to address the various "handshaking" issues among different versions of HDMI, and the many displays produced. The consumer shouldn't have to worry if a connection "works" or not, as component always functions well.

That aside, you must use the HDMI input for viewing upconverted DVDs (to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p), otherwise 480p is the maxium resolution for viewing standard DVDs thru component; and usually there is varying degrees of overscan with component (between 2% to 6%), whereas HDMI has little if any overscan - since many 1080p displays feature 1:1 pixel mapping (or 0% overscan).
post #20 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY PELICAN View Post

Yeah, the HDMI folks need to address the various "handshaking" issues among different versions of HDMI, and the many displays produced. The consumer shouldn't have to worry if a connection "works" or not, as component always functions well.

Exactly Rusty. This really should not be concern for the consumer. The industry should make this job #1. I've heard there similar issues with the new HDMI 1.3. For god's sake come on guys!
post #21 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Component Video is a very good connection. People who say DVI looks better are probably right as it was developed as a digital image connection. HDMI was designed as a digital security connection with protecting content being the primary goal. I have my DirecTV HD tuner and DVD player both hooked up using an HDMI connection. The best feature of HDMI is incorporating the audio within the HDMI cable.
post #22 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY PELICAN View Post

Component is the only analog input capable of viewing a hi-def signal in full resolution (either 720p or 1080i).

VGA is also an analog cable capable of hi-def in these resolutions. Both VGA and component cables are capable of 1080p and higher resolutions but this depends which resolutions the TV and source are are capable of with VGA/component.

HDMI, DVI, component and VGA are all 1080p capable cable, (the cables themselves are all capable of even higher resolution). The TV display or input equipment may limit the resolution it is capable of with any of these cables. Sometimes a display is capable of 1080p with its VGA or component input but not its HDMI input or this can be the other way around.

post #23 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

VGA is also an analog cable capable of hi-def in these resolutions... etc

Thanks for the further clarification and explanation in this discussion.
post #24 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 PM

I use HDMI exclusively because I'm a digital elitist and think analog is for the unwash hoi polloi and other assorted neatherthals

Seriously though, using one HDMI cable compares to 5 for component (3 for video and 2 minimum for audio) is a major advantage. I'm exclusively HDMI and still I have a rat's nest of cables . . .
post #25 of 25 Old 11-28-2007, 10:37 PM

According to cable manufacturers there are no any differences between HDMI cable and Component cable as far as picture quality or any other technical advantage concern. The only difference is the convenient of using only of cable (both for Adios & Video) versus 3 cables for (Video) +2 cable for (Audio).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page