Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5327 Old 04-25-2008, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

You don't have to turn your settings down if you are watching full screen HD content or the break in DVD. Actually, you should be turning them up on the break in DVD to speed things along. If you are going to watch full screen content, adjust to your liking and enjoy. If you are worried about the PS3 game. Wait a few days, then play it. I don't think it will hurt but if you are that worried, go for it.

Are you sure about this point? that I should turn the sittings to high when there's no static image on the screen to things along?

and another question: I heared that there's a 1/4 second input lag in plasma screens, is that true?

thx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5327 Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru View Post

I heared that there's a 1/4 second input lag in plasma screens, is that true?

Completely false. There is no detectable lag on mine.

Where did you hear this?

jeff
post #273 of 5327 Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 383
even IF it is true, can you detect it? if not then it's not a problem.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #274 of 5327 Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 AM

^^^ looks like he was just an LCD fanboy :P

I haven't played yet on it so I don't know

but what about turning the settings up when breaking-in the TV?
post #275 of 5327 Old 04-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I don't really know about "breaking in" the TV. I exercised some caution during the first week and a half or so. I set the contrast to about 50% and avoided letterboxed and pillarboxed shows. I did play games on it right away, but even the "static" things in most games really aren't on the screen all the time so I didn't fell this was a risk.

I did not use a break in DVD. I did put the TV on HD Theater and leave it on over night a couple of times and a few days while I went to work.

So I guess my thoughts on break in are sorta middle of the road - I don't think you should just go willy nilly in Vivid mode with 100% contrast, but I also think all this break in DVD, 100-200 hour stuff is major overkill.

jeff
post #276 of 5327 Old 04-25-2008, 10:47 AM

oh thx! I'll try gaming the first or so days and see what happens,, if i get too much IR, I'll try running a break in dvd.

thx for the help jeff
post #277 of 5327 Old 04-28-2008, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru View Post

Are you sure about this point? that I should turn the sittings to high when there's no static image on the screen to things along?

and another question: I heared that there's a 1/4 second input lag in plasma screens, is that true?

thx in advance

If you visit the Settings thread for the Kuro TVs, you will see that even Dnice has much higher settings for when breaking in the TV when using the break in DVD and these settings should never be used for regular viewing. It is because you want to help accelerate the break in period. Don't do it if you have any static images.

post #278 of 5327 Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 AM

Can the Break In download be set up to run from a flash drive?
post #279 of 5327 Old 04-30-2008, 03:43 PM

From the way I understand it, when you watch a static image on a TV out of the box, you are aging certain phosphors more-so than others when the phosphors are relatively young. And when they are young, you can obviously tell the difference moreso than when they are older.

This is akin to telling the difference between a 5yr old kid and a 10 yr old kid. The difference is drastic. However, it's much harder to tell the difference in a 40yr old guy vs a 45yr old guy.

The burn-in of your set at the beginning isn't all THAT necessary because eventually all your pixels will get older and the difference in age relatively shorter. However, it does scare the crap out of you when all your pixels are in their infancy.

As long as you vary your watching over the lifetime of your set and it gets even wear over the years, your TV will be fine. You will get image retention here and there, but it won't last.
post #280 of 5327 Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:

No problem.... heres the deal: Burn-in used to be much more of an issue that it is today. Actually, unless someone completely abuses the TV there is really no chance of burn-in at all. When I say abuse, I mean like video gaming for days on end with long pauses and no breaks at all. Or maybe using the set as a stock ticker monitor for weeks and weeks. You get the point..... for 99% of the viewing population a plasma will never burn-in. Period.

Burn-in is an LCD-supporter issue because LCD guys KNOW that plasma hands them their arse in almost every picture quality category so they need something to bring down plasma.

Get the Pioneer.... its an awesome set and burn-in wont be an issue

While by and large I would agree with this statement (especially about Pioneers, great manufacturer btw), I am one of the unlucky few that has suffered from long-term IR. I'm hoping it's not permanent burn-in, but as time goes on my hopes continue to dwindle.

I have the Pioneer PDP4270HD 42" plasma, and have had it a little over a year, but have had some level of IR for almost 4 months now. It happened because my Verizon FIOS DVR froze when displaying ESPN (along with its beautiful red channel logo and score bar . I was downstairs cleaning for maybe an hour, hour and a half, and came up to witness the fallout. On normal viewing it is often difficult to see the IR, but on a bright background you can clearly make out the red ESPN logo, and some of the borders of the score bar and the "rundown" bar that displays vertically on the right hand side of the screen.

I have tried outputting VGA from my pc to the TV and running Jscreenfix for hours to no avail. I also ran the break-in DVD for 4-5 hours and no dice. When you view an all white screen, it is VERY apparent.

Anyhow, I don't have much hope of fixing this, but if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. The TV doesn't have a "white wash" function or anything like that to fix IR, so I don't know what else to try. Mainly I just wanted to confirm for those curious that yes, IR still exists and can happen to you, although I think my case might be a rare one. Still, if you have FIOS and the DVR, do not leave the TV on it while you're away from the room. I learned the hard way, and turn the tube off whenever I'm away from it. Still, when I come home I turn on the set and often find the DVR has frozen the channel where it was left, so the opportunity is always there if you're not careful and you have FIOS. Just an FYI -

Need to know which drive(s) will or won't work in your Moxi? Discuss at the Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread
post #281 of 5327 Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief-j View Post

I have the Pioneer PDP4270HD 42" plasma, and have had it a little over a year, but have had some level of IR for almost 4 months now. It happened because my Verizon FIOS DVR froze when displaying ESPN (along with its beautiful red channel logo and score bar . I was downstairs cleaning for maybe an hour, hour and a half, and came up to witness the fallout. On normal viewing it is often difficult to see the IR, but on a bright background you can clearly make out the red ESPN logo, and some of the borders of the score bar and the "rundown" bar that displays vertically on the right hand side of the screen.

I have tried outputting VGA from my pc to the TV and running Jscreenfix for hours to no avail. I also ran the break-in DVD for 4-5 hours and no dice. When you view an all white screen, it is VERY apparent.

Anyhow, I don't have much hope of fixing this, but if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. The TV doesn't have a "white wash" function or anything like that to fix IR, so I don't know what else to try. Mainly I just wanted to confirm for those curious that yes, IR still exists and can happen to you, although I think my case might be a rare one.

Do you read that airhostess?

my home theatre

post #282 of 5327 Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 AM

I'll try to post some pics that show the IR when I get home, but just thought I'd throw my $.02 into the discussion. What's funny is how some people can display static images for dozens of hours, and at worst only need to watch full-screen video for 30 minutes and they're good. I watch a good deal of TV, almost all in HD, and no improvement yet.

Need to know which drive(s) will or won't work in your Moxi? Discuss at the Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread
post #283 of 5327 Old 05-01-2008, 09:19 AM

Dare I hook up my Atari 2600?

My Evil Plan to take over the Tri-State Area: The Subwoofinator-inator.
post #284 of 5327 Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
oh man, Joust would kill.
post #285 of 5327 Old 05-01-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengoshi2000 View Post

Dare I hook up my Atari 2600?

Try pacman! See whether IR is real or not after finishing 99 levels of it!

my home theatre

post #286 of 5327 Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
New to plasma technology, i may get one but i´m afraid of BI and IR.

I do know to get BI you have to leave your TV on with same scene for many hs... This is very hard to happen unless you fall sleep watching a screenshot.

But IR scare me.
My question is, how long IR takes? I game a lot, let´s say 5hs sessions, the games usually have some HUD, etc but this goes away when you get to see a cutscene or a loading screen. Will this screens reduce IR chances?

Could someone explain me how IR works and how it looks?

The PROS of plasma technology make me want to get one, over my current lcd, but again, this BI/IR weakness turn me away from.
post #287 of 5327 Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:

I'll try to post some pics that show the IR when I get home, but just thought I'd throw my $.02 into the discussion. What's funny is how some people can display static images for dozens of hours, and at worst only need to watch full-screen video for 30 minutes and they're good. I watch a good deal of TV, almost all in HD, and no improvement yet.

I just noticed tonight( after watching 3-4 hours of the NFL Draft last weekend ) that I have the image of the ON THE CLOCK logo .It is in the upper right hand corner of my 4270 . It must have happened on Saturday so it is recent. I wonder if 2 hours of CARS full screen ,set on DYNAMIC might do the trick ? I put in ICE AGE via PS3 and it seems to have gotten lighter ,but I am not sure .Any suggestions ? You can see it best on a white sceen.

p.s the tv is over a year old and has over 2000 hours , this hasn't happened before/

Pioneer 4270 Yamaha RX-V1800 PS 3 Paradigm CC 110 Panasonic 42 X24
post #288 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 06:10 AM

Okay guys, as promised I've attached pics that show the IR on my TV. It's most noticeable in the first pic, which is on a white backdrop, but you can see it in the other pics as well. In the second pic, you have to look close, but focus on the bottom right corner between the two couch cushions and you'll see the infamous ESPN logo staring back at you. The third pic is a close-up of #2 to give a better idea of where it is.

As always, any help or suggestions is most appreciated. Thanks -
LL
LL
LL

post #289 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:

Okay guys, as promised I've attached pics that show the IR on my TV. It's most noticeable in the first pic, which is on a white backdrop, but you can see it in the other pics as well. In the second pic, you have to look close, but focus on the bottom right corner between the two couch cushions and you'll see the infamous ESPN logo staring back at you. The third pic is a close-up of #2 to give a better idea of where it is.

As always, any help or suggestions is most appreciated. Thanks -

That is the same issue I have except it is in the top left hand part of the screen. If anyone was watching the NFL Draft they had a logo up in that area and it would say who was on the clock next .I can see the words clock the same as you espn logo. I have logged over 2000 hours on this set and thought I was immune form IR as long as I didn't abuse the set. I didn't think 3 hours of the Draft would cause this . They did break for commercial and I did change channels , so there you go. I hope after a few weeks it will fade away. Anyone have any Ideas? I think a few PIXAR movies full screen on dynamic might do the trick

post #290 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 07:09 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottoms View Post

That is the same issue I have except it is in the top left hand part of the screen. If anyone was watching the NFL Draft they had a logo up in that area and it would say who was on the clock next .I can see the words clock the same as you espn logo. I have logged over 2000 hours on this set and thought I was immune form IR as long as I didn't abuse the set. I didn't think 3 hours of the Draft would cause this . They did break for commercial and I did change channels , so there you go. I hope after a few weeks it will fade away. Anyone have any Ideas? I think a few PIXAR movies full screen on dynamic might do the trick

I watched all three hours of the Draft on my newer Panasonic 85U, and didn't get IR from the clock or ESPN logo. It was standard def, but that shouldn't matter. Both of these sets being 4270's makes me wonder.
post #291 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
oh man. i wonder if you could run the inverted image of the logo in black with a white screen or something. probably not now since the set isn't new anymore.
post #292 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer View Post

I watched all three hours of the Draft on my newer Panasonic 85U, and didn't get IR from the clock or ESPN logo. It was standard def, but that shouldn't matter. Both of these sets being 4270's makes me wonder.

Well I did , I notice last night watching PBS gLOBIAL wARMING when they show a white sceen shot I saw it . Then I put in ICE AGE and there is was , couldn't figure out how it got there until I could rean "on the clock" and I said oh no!!!! I am on FIOS too. Wonder if any of the monster screen cleaner I bought would work? Hope it gose away havn't watched any TV at all ,but I did play the ICE AGE via PS3 on Dynamic and I thought it got "lighter" could be just wishful thinking.

post #293 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

where is airhostess when you need her? I thought all of these IR are just myth according to her, all of her friends who bought plasmas with IR have completely erased any IR. I'd like to know their method.

my home theatre

post #294 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

where is airhostess when you need her? I thought all of these IR are just myth according to her, all of her friends who bought plasmas with IR have completely erased any IR. I'd like to know their method.

Well myth is now a reality for me , I will send a pic later tonight to show the 2" x 4" "ON THE CLOCK " logo that my Pio plasma proudly displays on a white screen.

post #295 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been saying that about burn in, it's just some naysayers refuse to believe me.

IR and "burn in" is still a reality. If not, then no plasma manufacturer will ever mention the risk of burn-in.

I still use plasma, however.

my home theatre

post #296 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppel View Post

I've been reading everyone's suggestions and information in this thread. Most of the advice is along the same lines but many suggestions or beliefs differ slightly. I decided to contact the Panasonic Concierge service in which you talk to a support rep. I have a panny TH-58PZ700U. I told him I had been sudying up on break in.

He told me to leave the default factory settings for the first 100 hours. He said, I didn't need to necessarly use H-fill to remove the side bars, but rather just watch the TV normally. I usually watch full screen HD, but occassionally watch 4:3 .......

The big thing I guess is the default color settings are set to vivid and not standard...That seems contrary to a lot of the advice in this forum as far as settings optimal for break in.

I thought I would ask for opinions on the instructions I received from panasonic..He repeated 3 times to leave the default settings and do not touch them for 100 hours. Also, that using a break in disk would not be necessary.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My px80u came set to standard.
post #297 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 06:24 PM

have the posters with rentition problem here not used the break-in dvd or broke their tv's properly in here? Or is it just a problem that can happen if you watch a logo orientated channel even on an old tv. Feedback welcomed
post #298 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

according to airhostess, break-in period is also a myth.

I, for one, believe that although break-in DVD is not needed, break-in period do exist at least for the first 100-200 hours.

my home theatre

post #299 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I've been saying that about burn in, it's just some naysayers refuse to believe me.

IR and "burn in" is still a reality. If not, then no plasma manufacturer will ever mention the risk of burn-in.

I still use plasma, however.

well here are some pics with a not so great camera
LL
LL
LL

post #300 of 5327 Old 05-02-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottoms View Post

well here are some pics with a not so great camera

you have to look hard but it is there ,now when you see live it's 5x worse

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page