Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 5306 Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris achar View Post
Hi,

In my opinion all new plasma's are ready to use,So i would not recommend you break in slides,and never leave any electronic gadgets unattended ! So if you have a BD player and few BD movies try to play them when you are around it.I have a panasonic plasma 50 inches V series asian edition.I started using break in slides as they have all suggested.And at the end of day One,i could see mild patches of dim red & greenish yellow here & there.And from the following day i stopped using slides and started watching movies.Now those stains have all disappeared.So it would be safe to watch Hi def movies in zoom 1 mode with contrast around 50,brightness & colour to your preference.And colour temperature at normal or cool.

And also don't push your display panel to work 24x7.Let the panel age gently & gradually by regular use.

Let us all keep one thing in mind is that even if your put in 100 to 200 hrs of break in slides,the plasma panel is still susceptible to IR & burn-in from static images.So there is no point in wasting your time & electricity to age the panel.And also reaching half life of the panel much sooner.In the name of aging one should not age the life of the panel by keeping the unit on for a week or so.

So what iam suggesting here is use the tv with Hi def content that which fills the screen fully(no black bars) this is sufficient.You can even watch HD DTH broadcast,provided it does not have shares or news stickers running on it.And also can watch channels where they keep constantly giving breaks for adds,during which there must be no channel logos...
Since i have started watching channels in this way and i have no I.R.

Love,
kris.
aright that makes sense thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 5306 Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Hi guys!

I just recently bought a "New Other" (as per eBay) Pro-151fd from a company in New York, and I had some questions about the break-in process.

1. What happens if I don't break-in my TV? Is it even worth ISF calibrating when it hasn't been properly broken-in (let's say I reach 200 hours, but it wasn't by constantly playing that calibration DVD)?
2. I don't know how many hours my out of the box TV has on it, so what if it comes with over 100 hours of usage time? Is it even possible to break-in the TV if it's already been used that much? More importantly, is the ISF calibration worth it at that point?

Thanks so much!
Cole
post #2973 of 5306 Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM

The general rule of thumb is 200 hours, and as long as you vary the content on the display you're fine. Just don't do pillar boxes or letter boxes without plenty of full screen. Some calibrators will go with 100 hours or more use, but most would say wait until 200 hours so the phosphors have stabilized. While some might swear by the slides, I think most would agree as long as the TV has been used to around 200 hours, by then a calibration will be far more likely to "stick". If you're not going to get a calibration, then I'd not worry about it. Just enjoy it. The topic can start a sh*tstorm, but the break in period is really only advisable for the purpose of a calibration, because the PQ settings at hour 1 might not be the absolute optimum settings at hour 180, and you want optimum settings if you're going to pay someone for it; that's why you break it in first. Whether or not break in matters outside of calibration seems to be a point of contention here from what I've read. I'm still a rookie at doing my own calibrations, but that's what I've gathered from reading here.
post #2974 of 5306 Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 AM

Hi, I bought a LG 50PK750 for the kids 6 months ago. 2 weeks ago I discovered that the Cartoon Network Logo was imprinted on the screen (My 6 year old is a Ben10 fan).
I'm attaching some photos of the problem.
Is not very visible on normal viewing and it does seem that is slowly fading away, but very slowly.
I played a few hours of break in slides with no luck. I also used the plasma IR removing utilities (white wash /color wash) a few times with no apparent results.
I didn't want to go the LCD route at the time because I hate the artificial imaging and motion blur and some time I like to watch TV with them.
Cartoon Network viewing time is still permitted but with the cinema zooming function enable on level 14 which is a lot and a lot of image information is being lost to the point of just watching faces.
I'm leaning towards just ignore this a give the kid a chance to watch his favorite show on normal settings, without zooming or anything; just the pixel orbiter activated. At the end the set was bought for them and they couldn't care less for this.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3228987...2397/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3228987...1526/lightbox/
post #2975 of 5306 Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
My son does the same exact thing. He watches cartoon network for hours and leaves the tv on. Luckily the IR goes away on my samsung. I think you should just let the kid enjoy the tv. The IR should fade, I think it just takes longer on LGs.
post #2976 of 5306 Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2crd View Post

Hi, I bought a LG 50PK750 for the kids 6 months ago. 2 weeks ago I discovered that the Cartoon Network Logo was imprinted on the screen (My 6 year old is a Ben10 fan).
I'm attaching some photos of the problem.
Is not very visible on normal viewing and it does seem that is slowly fading away, but very slowly.
I played a few hours of break in slides with no luck. I also used the plasma IR removing utilities (white wash /color wash) a few times with no apparent results.
I didn't want to go the LCD route at the time because I hate the artificial imaging and motion blur and some time I like to watch TV with them.
Cartoon Network viewing time is still permitted but with the cinema zooming function enable on level 14 which is a lot and a lot of image information is being lost to the point of just watching faces.
I'm leaning towards just ignore this a give the kid a chance to watch his favorite show on normal settings, without zooming or anything; just the pixel orbiter activated. At the end the set was bought for them and they couldn't care less for this.

What do you guys think?

It is IR. It does not appear to be burn in and since it is fading, that indicate it is IR. I am in the same boat. My son watches sprout and they have a static logo but I haven't had this happen to me, yet. I am starting to believe that some brands are more prone to IR than others, which concerns me a great deal.

I would say let it go, try watching something other than cartoon network, if he/she will. Watch DVD's or something. Then, I believe it will fade out entirely after some time.

Xbox Live=chemical360
PSN=chemical360
post #2977 of 5306 Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM

maybe with a mild push from consumers, networks will start rotating their translucnte logos to different corners of the screen after every commercial break.
post #2978 of 5306 Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricide View Post

maybe with a mild push from consumers, networks will start rotating their translucnte logos to different corners of the screen after every commercial break.

Yes,
Even i would like that to happen sooner than later !

God Is With You !
post #2979 of 5306 Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2crd View Post

Hi, I bought a LG 50PK750 for the kids 6 months ago. 2 weeks ago I discovered that the Cartoon Network Logo was imprinted on the screen (My 6 year old is a Ben10 fan).....

....What do you guys think?

ZOOM it out and lowered the Brightness/Contrast if your kid insists on watching the network. It's gonna take a while for it to go away if you're constantly playing the same channel. The best remedy would be to watch a lot of NatGEO HD or Discover HD in normal Brightness/Contrast and let it phase out within time. Again, it will take weeks or even months before you'll see any improvement.
post #2980 of 5306 Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricide View Post

Well, me and a few other guys from another thread had took the initiative and contacted ESPN and this is the outcome:

"Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting us.

"Burn In" has been a known phenomenon that can occur with plasma screen technology. If you have a complaint, it should be pursued with the manufacturer or retailer from whom you purchased the TV.

Sincerely,

Brandon
ESPN Viewer Response"

--------------- Original Message ---------------

"I am writing to kindly request that you have your ESPN network logo which is currently being displayed on the bottom right corner of the screen to be changed from 'Bright White' to a more friendlier or Transparent-type logo, or perhaps have it appear on/off intermittently. Reason being is I owned a Plasma TV which are prone to screen Burn-Ins and it is preventing me to view any ESPN programs.

Thank you for your concern,
From long time ESPN program subscriber".

ref:00D480H6.5004EpMoA:ref
post #2981 of 5306 Old 04-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Thanks everybody for your feedback.
Yesterday I went to a nearby electronics store just to add into the equation the possibility to exchange my set for a LCD set. To be honest I went there with an open mindset and talking to myself as I was arriving to the store: “I do like LCD's, I do like LCD's, they're the wisest choice: no burn, greener, slimmer, cooler, etc.)
Well … It didn't work out. I can get over the unrealistic colors and torching scenes, but as long as the characters don't move! How can one stand that artificial trail of pixels that every movement traces on the screen?
Given the ratio of LCD's vs. Plasmas being on display at that store I came to the conclusion that every human being are marketing sponges that can get used to everything except for no eating or not going to the bathroom.
As for my particular situation I am banning the Cartoon Network Channel until that on-air logo or my IR disappears, whatever it comes first. And for my kid's good fortune (and Cartoon Network as well) I started to buy the BEN10 DVD collection. I can only hope those are burning logo free.

Thanks again,
post #2982 of 5306 Old 04-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

^^If you have Cable, you can go to Video-On-Demand in the 'kids/family' section and select the cartoons of your choice, many do not show the logo if you zoom it to full screen.
post #2983 of 5306 Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

What are the recommanded settings for the break-in period if I plan to use "break-in slides" (exclusively and continuously for ~100 hours after the initial setup) on a Samsung D series plasma (51D550)?

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #2984 of 5306 Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 AM

Are logos that are pretty transparent a problem? Behind the tbs logo, you can basically see all of the colors/movement behind it
post #2985 of 5306 Old 04-29-2011, 12:02 PM

Why do people keep asking the same question over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... Well you get the picture.
post #2986 of 5306 Old 04-29-2011, 12:03 PM

it's easier then searching?

edit: and its just another post in a thread dedicated to the information (with 100+ pages already)...I'll rephrase, if you don't want to be bothered answering thats fine, but there's no reason to be a **** about it...
post #2987 of 5306 Old 04-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

I just fabricated this slide-show pack for myself.

As much as I understand I need to exercise the cells (mostly the phosphor material) but the R,G,B sub-pixels are fully independent across the whole panel, and gray shades use all the three (R,G,B) sub-pixels equally, so using additional primary, secondary or mixed colors would be only a waste of time.

The commonly used break-in slides doesn't use any low luminance images, but I decided to add those too (the exclusion of the single-channel shades improved the overall efficiency anyway but I considered that single-channel images let the other two channels resting). Is it a bad idea? (I know that the dithering noise is very noticeable on dark patches and a static dithering noise pattern would age the pixels unevenly but the dithering is always there, it's only our eye and cognitive system + the random coincidences that makes us notice it more or less depending on the content...)

post #2988 of 5306 Old 04-29-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Johnson View Post

Why do people keep asking the same question over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... Well you get the picture.

Grow up..
post #2989 of 5306 Old 04-30-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

What are the recommanded settings for the break-in period if I plan to use "break-in slides" (exclusively and continuously for ~100 hours after the initial setup) on a Samsung D series plasma (51D550)?

There are no recommended settings because it doesn't make sense to use break-in slides. I have never seen a statement by a single company recommending the use of them or even acknowledging their existence. Just watch exclusively 16/9 in the first 100 hours and you will be fine. There is no way that there will be noticeable uneven aging if you do that. If you disagree, prove it or shut it.
post #2990 of 5306 Old 04-30-2011, 07:48 PM

There is no such thing as Plasma Burn-in! Watch, Play, Compute the way you want to. JJ
post #2991 of 5306 Old 04-30-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix19 View Post
There are no recommended settings because it doesn't make sense to use break-in slides. I have never seen a statement by a single company recommending the use of them or even acknowledging their existence. Just watch exclusively 16/9 in the first 100 hours and you will be fine. There is no way that there will be noticeable uneven aging if you do that. If you disagree, prove it .
Yes,
I fully agree with you...

God Is With You !
post #2992 of 5306 Old 04-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post
Are logos that are pretty transparent a problem? Behind the tbs logo, you can basically see all of the colors/movement behind it
Transparent logos are designed to reduced the effects of IR, so in essence they pretty much harmless.
post #2993 of 5306 Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 View Post
There is no such thing as Plasma Burn-in! Watch, Play, Compute the way you want to. JJ
Bhwaaaaaahahahahaah!
post #2994 of 5306 Old 05-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix19 View Post

Just watch exclusively 16/9 in the first 100 hours and you will be fine. There is no way that there will be noticeable uneven aging if you do that. If you disagree, prove it or shut it.

I have 3 reasons why I would run the break-in slides:

Fisrt: I will use this TV as a PC monitor. I want to watch Blu-Ray movies (with black bars), play games (with HUDs), etc from the very first moment after I disconnect my LCD and connect the PDP.
(Well, it will be a later decision if I should keep an LCD too. -> If I will have serious [almost burn-in like] IR, I will stop the "abuse" and either sell the PDP before it's too late or re-arrange my room for two displays...)

Second: I don't want to spend ~100 hours with an uncalibrated display. But as much as I understand, I shouldn't try to calibrate it before 100-200 hours runtime. (On reason that I have to display test patterns for prolonged periods which can cause IR even on older panels and the second that the colorimetric characteristics of the display will significantly fluctuate during this period.)

Third: It is a "happy accident" that my display will arrive on Monday and I will leave the house on Monday night and come back on Thursday night, so the TV can run the slides while I am out. (The house won't be empty, so somebody will be able to take a look at it from time to time.)

Another question:
Does a full-screen, static, homogeneously 100% white image cause burn-in?
I am asking because I read this post and thought: Why not do the break-in like this (this would be much faster)?

post #2995 of 5306 Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Is it OK to do something like this on a PDP? (Not exclusively, of course, but sometimes between BD watching and gaming sessions...)
(Don't laugh... I only messed around with my currently opened windows to simulate what I do sometimes. I'm not that idiot like this video shows. )

post #2996 of 5306 Old 05-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Anotehr way to avoid burn in is to switch from 1:1 pixel mapping to 5 percent overscan after so many uses, its what I do b/c it moves logos more then the orbiter would.
post #2997 of 5306 Old 05-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

Is it OK to do something like this on a PDP? (Not exclusively, of course, but sometimes between BD watching and gaming sessions...)
(Don't laugh... I only messed around with my currently opened windows to simulate what I do sometimes. I'm not that idiot like this video shows. )

You kind of changed your tone there from your first post lol...

I used my 42" plasma as my computer monitor for a little over a year, doing the regular activity including homework and such like in your video...Just make sure to use a screen saver with a short idle time I think I used 5 minutes, but it might have been 1 minute...I did see some slight IR once in a while (mainly after turning the TV off), but again I also didn't use it exclusively and I would watch enough TV/leave the screen saver on long enough for it to disappear...

Also I didn't use it as my monitor right away though...this was 4-5 years ago already, I didn't research IR/Burn-in at the time and don't think I knew about the 100 hour break-in period...But I must have watched at least 100+ hours of normal TV on it before my roommate in college got kicked out and I decided to make it my computer monitor...So I'm pretty sure it was properly broke in before I decided to keep the static computer images on it...

I don't know much about the subject of IR/Burn-in but in this thread it's been brought up that breaking it in 24/7 for 4-5 days straight is not the best way to do it...so I would be careful with that, its best to give the TV some rest between break-in sessions...
post #2998 of 5306 Old 05-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Yah, sometimes I read posts like yours ("use it with some precaution and there will be no problem"), but other times I run into threads like "the OSD of my BD player burned-in to my VT25".
So, I think it will be fine but sometimes I get confused. Time will tell, I think.
(I usually run all my hardwares with the "it runs until it lasts" principles and I am usually lucky with them.)

post #2999 of 5306 Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I think I found some tiny little (possible) bugs in the "official" break-in DVD / slide-show-pack.

----------
Let me show you the first like this...
The RGB stands for a Red, Green and Blue sub-pixel triple ("a pixel"). A thin R means that it's OFF and a bold R means it's ON. (The actual content has some steps between OFF and ON, so I mean OFF = 0%, ON = anything else but not zero.)

Let's see a part of the "infinite" loop:

||| RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB ||| RGB RGB RGB RGB RGB

Every sub-pixels are ON for 10 slides but the longest continuous ON time of the Red and Blue sub-pixels is 10 slides and the longest continuous ON time of the Green sub-pixels is only 5 slides.

-----

Now let's talk about the other one: Single channel (fully saturated Red, Green, Blue) slides.

Well, you may think an input with R=100, B=0, G=0 numbers will result in an RGB state (with completely OFF Blue and Green). But no... this isn't that simple anymore.
Many LCD and plasma manufacturers use wide color gamut phosphors (of RGB LEDs) to make "Joe" to say "WOOOWWW I WANT THAT" on the shop.

And a benevolent manufacturer will offer the standard (I mean standardized, like the ITU BT.709) gamut with software based color space emulation. (This is a real problem alone but I don't wish to discuss the observer mesmerism [which makes this emulation noticeably imperfect] and the problems with the "of-the-shelf" colorimeters. That's another topic...)

So, if you run these slides with a picture mode which applies gamut emulation, then an R=100, G=0, B=0 input can actually be converted to (let's say as a non-real example) R=85, G=3, B=5. (And the reasonable picture modes often apply gamut emulation because the native gamut looks weird, so it's possible that the user will use this kind of picture mode which looks right...)
-----------

I don't say that these are real problem in practice (yah, many people used these slides in the last... decade?), but this is the AV Science forum, so please don't hurt me if I am too theoretical and analytical.

My suggestion is to use gray shades only. (It's safer and could be more effective.)

As of the efficiency... I am not sure if the original author of the colored slides took it into consideration (or if it was a "happy accident" because it's a great thing or a simple accident which only makes the whole process less efficient...) that a single-channel slide will let the other two sub-pixels rest.
But I also considered that we want to avoid a possible overheating (I think we actually want to simulate some "efficient but not too unrealistically hard" case. I do fear about the dilatation when we have gas and glass...), so I put some 0% black slides to my package.

(And my earlier package used randomized gray slides but I reconsidered that. I think it's better to make it smoothly -> smoother dilatation and voltage increase....)

Here is my current recommendation: breakin_v2
(I didn't make any approximated calculations about it [too many unknown variables] but I think it is not only safer but a bit more efficient. -> requires less time)

-----

Of course, it can't help with the fluctuating white balance across the grayscale (these are perfect grays but the device colors will randomly fluctuate). So may be it is not a bad idea to calibrate the TV first (not perfectly but "more or less" very fast...) if you have something like "10 point gray balance".

What do you think?

post #3000 of 5306 Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

I think the reason why theres more red slide then blue and green is b/c by plasmas very nature it produces blue and green very easily and deeply more so then red, I could be wrong about that though so someone correct me.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page