Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 5262 Old 05-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why is Discovery HD suggested for break-in? From what little I've seen they have a giant ass logo in the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 5262 Old 05-13-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_o_00 View Post

Why is Discovery HD suggested for break-in? From what little I've seen they have a giant ass logo in the bottom.

HBO , I found is the Best! Regards
post #3033 of 5262 Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 PM

Yea maybe I can catch a replay of Avatar or something. I would imagine all the colors from that movie would be a good break-in. With that said, my first night with my Samsung 550 I just changed the channel every once in a while to make sure logos weren't a problem. Decided to chance it and played 360 for a couple hours. During this I made sure just to pause it once in a while to get away from the HUD for a bit. Either way I ran the scrolling feature for a few minutes after gaming and didn't notice anything.
post #3034 of 5262 Old 05-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, it's normal and it is called 'heavy image retention' which will take longer than 30 minutes for it to go away; try days, weeks or perhaps months. I know because I've been there.
post #3035 of 5262 Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM

Hi folks,

This is my first post on this forum, and i decided to share something i've been working on for the last couple of days...

It's a set of 512 FullHD images (.png format), that goes from RBG (0,0,0) = full dark to (255,255,255) = full white, and then from (255,255,255) to (0,0,0) back again. The video is a FullHD, .wmv file, that shows 10 images per second - about 52s duration, which goes from pure black to pure white, and then returns.

The main concept here is to envenly age all pixels SAFELY. Here are some reasons why this method is arguably more safe than the others:
-- NO STATIC IMAGES : the RGB values are constantly changing, because the video displays 10 different frames per second;
-- EQUALLY AGE ALL PIXELS : all frames have balanced color usage (red, green and blue values are equal), meaning there is no way you can burn one color more than the others;
-- ALL RGB VALUES ARE DISPLAYED : the images' RGB values range from 0-255, meaning your plasma display will warm up completely, using all 256 possible primary colors' values (intensities).

One disvantage of this is, as you're not using full intensity all the time, the break-in process may take a little longer to complete. Anyway, in my opinion, this is a very safe method to break-in a plasma hdtv.

p.s.1: as this is my first post, I'm still not allowed to post urls, so if you're interested in the zip file just pm me;
p.s.2: sorry for the english, I'm brazilian.
post #3036 of 5262 Old 05-17-2011, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
An observation about
image retention.
VT25
I usually watch nascar
using Tv tuner. 720p
and use custom.
Never noticed any images after 3 hours of racing.
Last sunday I used Settop Box set to 1080i and I used
THX. My settings for
contrast, bright, color, and sharpness
are the same for custom and THX.
after 1.5 hrs I notice
FOX logo image retention. I switched channels and it took an hour to fade.
I don't know whetehr it was going from 720p
to 1080i or using THX
instead of custom.
I suspect it was THX.
post #3037 of 5262 Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM

I just received my PN59D8000 and I want to run the break-in slides. I have burned a couple of DVD-R DVDs using the info on eaprogramming. The problem I'm having is that the slids will run for just ove 25 minutes then will shut off. The TV says lost signal. I'm getting to slide C52 according to my Panasonic BDT210, just over half way. Any ideas what might be wrong?
post #3038 of 5262 Old 05-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk2615 View Post

I just received my PN59D8000 and I want to run the break-in slides. I have burned a couple of DVD-R DVDs using the info on eaprogramming. The problem I'm having is that the slids will run for just ove 25 minutes then will shut off. The TV says lost signal. I'm getting to slide C52 according to my Panasonic BDT210, just over half way. Any ideas what might be wrong?

This is a DVD burnt from the ISO image? It should just loop automatically when played. Worked fine for me and I still pop in the DVD from time to time to get rid of gaming IR more quickly.
post #3039 of 5262 Old 05-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton View Post

This is a DVD burnt from the ISO image? It should just loop automatically when played. Worked fine for me and I still pop in the DVD from time to time to get rid of gaming IR more quickly.

That's what I thought, but it won't even play the entire DVD. It just stops at the 25 minute mark and shuts off. The TV tells me it lost the signal. I did the the slides to play on an SD card, but they are a lot darker then the ones on the DVD.
post #3040 of 5262 Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

^^They are a lot darker because you have to set the brightness and contrast on that input. Press menu on your remote when you're viewing pics.
post #3041 of 5262 Old 05-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk2615 View Post

I just received my PN59D8000 and I want to run the break-in slides.

I took a look at those slides and I also created my own version but I eventually decided to use the built-in "Scrolling Bars" (settings / burn in protection) because it looked nice and reliable.

I ran it for ~3 days (continuously while I wasn't at home) on my 51D550. I think it worked fine because I am using this TV as a PC monitor and I didn't have any serious IR problems yet.

* I had noticeable IR after I played Portal 2 for 3 hours continuously (Cell Light 20, Contrast 95 as I always use it since the initial "break in" - with the scrolling gradient) but it eventually disappeared. (It weakened after ~30 minutes of scrolling and completely disappeared after 2x45 minutes of BD watching - 16:9 TV show from DB - and I didn't really noticed the IR on that content, I spotted it only on homogeneous images.) And I even played that game again after the TV show episodes and the IR didn't happen again before I finished the campaign.

PS.:
But I think I will wait some weeks before I start playing "Dragon Age 2".
-> Did anybody try that already on these now Samsung PDPs?
I am not sure how frequently I should give it a break (it's hard to find watchable 16:9 contents).

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #3042 of 5262 Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Didn't notice IR at all with Dragon Age 2 for the 360 on a Panny VT25.
post #3043 of 5262 Old 05-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
* I had noticeable IR after I played Portal 2 for 3 hours continuously (Cell Light 20, Contrast 95
I think any TV will get IR with contrast at 95. I keep contrast at 70 when I play games. Higher contrast does look better though, maybe Ill try mine at 95 to see how it effects IR.
post #3044 of 5262 Old 05-18-2011, 06:10 PM

Just a question. How do I check for burn in and or image retention?
Like what color display should I have on the screen and how do I display it?
I have a new PN51D8000 and just want to have a peek once in a while to reassure myself that everything's still good. Just want to be cautious. Thanks for any advice in advance.
post #3045 of 5262 Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleebrz View Post
Just a question. How do I check for burn in and or image retention?
Like what color display should I have on the screen and how do I display it?
I have a new PN51D8000 and just want to have a peek once in a while to reassure myself that everything's still good. Just want to be cautious. Thanks for any advice in advance.
When it happens it is obvious, I wouldn't go looking for it. But typically it will be noticeable in scenes that aren't too busy, like scenes with a lot of sky or the like.
post #3046 of 5262 Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post
I think any TV will get IR with contrast at 95. I keep contrast at 70 when I play games. Higher contrast does look better though, maybe Ill try mine at 95 to see how it effects IR.
Usually a Contrast of 95 only makes sense on a LCD. I use 62 on my VT25 with AGC off and I find a Contrast much higher makes images look too "hot". For IR another setting to keep in mind is Sharpness, mine is at 40 since if I go any lower the overall picture suffers for sources other than the PS3.
post #3047 of 5262 Old 05-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleebrz View Post

How do I check for burn in and or image retention?

You will probably find some ghost images on a full-screen 0% black image if you recently displayed any static contents (channel logo, windows desktop, etc). Those are usually disappear after some minutes of dynamic image content.

You can find the real IR easily if you search for it on a homogeneous full-screen image of the same (or similar) color which was statically kept on the same place for an extended period. (You will see a darker area.)
So take a look at some full-screen color patches like white, red, green, blue and may be yellow, cyan, magenta.

If you have a real burn-in or heavy IR then you won't need help to find it, I guess.

Contrast:
The Contrast and Brightness have only one proper calibrated setting, where the darkest gray is barely but distinguishable from 0% black as well as the lightest gray from white.
If I want lower peak brightness, I need to decrease the Cell Light value.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #3048 of 5262 Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 PM

Since I'm exchanging my plasma I said to hell with it and turned the settings up including contrast. After playing a game with a very dark, black outline around the radar for two hours or so, I noticed IR. I ran the white wash thing on the Samsung 550 and it was gone after 10-15 minutes.
post #3049 of 5262 Old 05-19-2011, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since I'm exchanging my plasma I said to hell with it and turned the settings up including contrast. After playing a game with a very dark, black outline around the radar for two hours or so, I noticed IR. I ran the white wash thing on the Samsung 550 and it was gone after 10-15 minutes.

lol, so u ended up exchanging another one?

i swear some folks just like the option of returning their sets week after week. that way they get a million different sets.

best buy is going to hate u

they will soon have a picture of you and will forward to all futureshops and bestbuys in your city.

was it the buzzing that makes u want to return the 550?

that's the last post i saw of yours in the official thread.. i do think the more picky u get.. the more picky u get... lol

kinda like girls.. they can divorce u so easy now adays.. hey? and just go window shopping for a better one..

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #3050 of 5262 Old 05-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Is there anywhere online I can buy a dvd or preferably a Blu-ray that I can run on my PS3 for the break-in period? Is there one that has auto looping so I don't have to start the disc over again once the images are done(i.e. can leave on over night w/out having to do anything)?
post #3051 of 5262 Old 05-22-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

lol, so u ended up exchanging another one?

i swear some folks just like the option of returning their sets week after week. that way they get a million different sets.

best buy is going to hate u

they will soon have a picture of you and will forward to all futureshops and bestbuys in your city.

was it the buzzing that makes u want to return the 550?

that's the last post i saw of yours in the official thread.. i do think the more picky u get.. the more picky u get... lol

kinda like girls.. they can divorce u so easy now adays.. hey? and just go window shopping for a better one..

Yea it was the buzzing. Of course this one has buzzing as well although not quite as bad. Guess I'll have to live with it now until I decide to use my Black Tie.
post #3052 of 5262 Old 05-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post

Is there anywhere online I can buy a dvd or preferably a Blu-ray that I can run on my PS3 for the break-in period? Is there one that has auto looping so I don't have to start the disc over again once the images are done(i.e. can leave on over night w/out having to do anything)?

Here ya go:

Plasma Break-in DVD download/purchase page
post #3053 of 5262 Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Yea maybe I can catch a replay of Avatar or something. I would imagine all the colors from that movie would be a good break-in. With that said, my first night with my Samsung 550 I just changed the channel every once in a while to make sure logos weren't a problem. Decided to chance it and played 360 for a couple hours. During this I made sure just to pause it once in a while to get away from the HUD for a bit. Either way I ran the scrolling feature for a few minutes after gaming and didn't notice anything.
Thanks Dayton is there an option on the PS3 to loop a chapter or restart the movie once ended( I was thinking about Avatar too)?
post #3054 of 5262 Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugogro View Post

Hi folks,

This is my first post on this forum, and i decided to share something i've been working on for the last couple of days...

It's a set of 512 FullHD images (.png format), that goes from RBG (0,0,0) = full dark to (255,255,255) = full white, and then from (255,255,255) to (0,0,0) back again. The video is a FullHD, .wmv file, that shows 10 images per second - about 52s duration, which goes from pure black to pure white, and then returns.

The main concept here is to envenly age all pixels SAFELY. Here are some reasons why this method is arguably more safe than the others:
-- NO STATIC IMAGES : the RGB values are constantly changing, because the video displays 10 different frames per second;
-- EQUALLY AGE ALL PIXELS : all frames have balanced color usage (red, green and blue values are equal), meaning there is no way you can burn one color more than the others;
-- ALL RGB VALUES ARE DISPLAYED : the images' RGB values range from 0-255, meaning your plasma display will warm up completely, using all 256 possible primary colors' values (intensities).

One disvantage of this is, as you're not using full intensity all the time, the break-in process may take a little longer to complete. Anyway, in my opinion, this is a very safe method to break-in a plasma hdtv.

p.s.1: as this is my first post, I'm still not allowed to post urls, so if you're interested in the zip file just pm me;
p.s.2: sorry for the english, I'm brazilian.

On behalf of hugogro, here is the URL for the zip file containing his plasma break-in video clip: http://www.4shared.com/file/OwO8fwIy..._Break-in.html (that's http://www.4shared.com/file/OwO8fwIy/Plasma_Break-in.html). I have downloaded it to my own PC, and scans with various malware protection utilities do not indicate any problems.

This YouTube clip shows what it looks like in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_iO_K72_I
post #3055 of 5262 Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM

can a PS3 play the disc found here: http://eaprogramming.com/downloads/download_main.htm

?
post #3056 of 5262 Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, any player that can play's DVD's can. The DVD also plays and loops automatically. Download the ISO and burn a DVD yourself to see.
post #3057 of 5262 Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Using break-in images on a PS3 slideshow?

My new Panasonic tc-p50gt25 just arrived and I want to start the break-in process immediately. I've loaded the break-in images onto an SD card and using the photo slideshow feature on the PS3 it seems to be working great. The only thing is that on the "SLOW" slideshow setting I think images only last around 15-20 seconds on screen then there is a fade transition to the next image. loop is default, and i've been letting it run on my old LCD for about 20 mins now.

Is this OK to use?
post #3058 of 5262 Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 PM

Just bought break-in disc.
post #3059 of 5262 Old 05-24-2011, 04:46 AM

I am presuming that I can watch regular tv when I want to, then at night before I go to bed just pop in the break-in disc, correct? I usually watch a lot of CNN. Should I stay away from CNN until the break-in process is completed? How many total hours do I need to run the break-in disc for?
post #3060 of 5262 Old 05-24-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm curious why Discovery HD Theater is considered a great break in channel when it has the words "Discovery" in white on the screen at all times?

Granted, it's small lettering, but it's still there the whole time I had the channel on.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page