Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 5356 Old 02-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm more weary of buying a new tv without having the massive owners threads to read through. I'm probably going to pick up the 55st30 and hope its without defects and to see how bad the IR is. I know two people with 2-3yr old Panasonic plasmas and they say they still love their tvs. One games a lot and only notices very brief IR when switching between inputs.

With IR, do people find that over time it tends to be less of a potential problem? Or are there cases where it can get worse after 1000+ hours? If I get to 100,200 or 500 hours and the image retention is not a problem, can I expect it to stay similar to that for the following years?

PSN: Thanatos9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 5356 Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
F27

I have found that IR on my Plasma has got only slightly better since purchase (about 6 months ago) and takes a long time to disappear even on something which was static for 5 minutes. It's actually starting to worry me because its all I think about when watching TV!

People always say 'oh it was also a CRT issue' yet I have never seen anything on anyones old TV staying on screen after it was displayed, even HUD's of console games people have played for hours. How can a newer technology have such problems with rentention?
post #3603 of 5356 Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info, F27. Out of curiosity, did you do the d-nice slides, start using it as is, or do something else when you first got your tv?

PSN: Thanatos9
post #3604 of 5356 Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 AM
F27

I just used it around 200 hours normal TV on half brightness, no slides because I've heard some horror stories! The picture has turned out great but I'm still having some issues with IR which are quite concerning and I think it might be overtime causing uneveness in the pixel wear.
post #3605 of 5356 Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 PM

Liked: 11
I've used my KRP-500m at 50/60 contrast as a computer monitor for the last 1.5 years. I average about 5-6 hours a day.

I got some IR of the Warcraft 3 HUD (when I turned the Orbiter off completely), but it went away once I varied my content a little. Right now, there's no IR at all. I do a lot of web surfing, YouTubing, some gaming, Excel, chatting, etc. normal stuff. I removed the scroll bars on my web browser, and when I'm not doing any work, I surf in full screen mode. I also use Orbiter 2 in Dot-By-Dot mode, so the whole picture rotates in a small circle very slowly.

Otherwise, I don't really worry about IR anymore. Any bad IR will go away after a few weeks.
post #3606 of 5356 Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have persistent ir on my 1 week old 55GT30.Its from the tv's menu itself.I can see the word "Menu" on light screens from the break in slides.I have run the tv's screen wipe feature a few times,watched Ice Age 2 hoping that it will erase it but unfortunately i can still see it after two days of noticing it.

Granted its dimming some what but its annoying knowing that its there.

Any tips on how to remove/erase it faster?

If by a couple of more weeks and I still notice the ir still there should i return the set or should I live with what I got knowing that the ir should eventually erase?

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #3607 of 5356 Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM

Peter,

My Panny GT30 suffered some serious IR from gaming over a 10 day period over Christmas and I immediately worked to get rid of it to the extreme of running slides for 100+ hours. It has now been nearly 7 weeks since I noticed it and while it has mostly disappeared I can still see it on light colored backgrounds because I know what I am looking for.

At first I thought it would never go away, I mean after 100 hours of slides it was still there. Now I feel that it will eventually go away completely if I give it another couple months.

Hope that helps in your decision, I know how frustrating it is.
post #3608 of 5356 Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

@ crankbait,

Thanks for the reply.I need to see signifacant improvement the next couple of weeks or I might be tempted to return it.Otherwise it has been great,Its a Sept. build no fbr,no buzzing,hardly any if any green tint.

Its just my dumb luck putting up the tv screen menu up for a period of time trying to enter settings for custom and what not that the word menu is now showing as ir.

Would you keep the tv or return it if its still noticeable a couple of weeks later?

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
post #3609 of 5356 Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 13
[quote=PeterLewis;21648956]I have persistent ir on my 1 week old 55GT30.Its from the tv's menu itself.I can see the word "Menu" on light screens from the break in slides.I have run the tv's screen wipe feature a few times,watched Ice Age 2 hoping that it will erase it but unfortunately i can still see it after two days of noticing it.

If by a couple of more weeks and I still notice the ir still there should i return the set or should I live with what I got knowing that the ir should eventually erase?[/QUOT
\\

You guys have to have defective sets. Return them as soon as you can because should not be happening.

I abuse my panny to a point that is not even funny with no IR.
post #3610 of 5356 Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM

Honestly Ace I would have to disagree. I have had the set since last august and kept it in THX mode the entire time. I gamed from the get go and had no IR. In this instance I really did not mix my content up, I just stayed playing the same game for a number of hours a day over a period of a week and a half. I think that is a recipe for IR no matter how many sets I exchange.

I do not think my set is defective and I believe that changing sets at the site of IR is ridiculous. The fact that it is fading and that at this point I have to know what I am looking for on a solid light colored image tells me it is getting better.

I also decided to tone down my THX settings for gaming and am more careful about mixing content. I do love this set but it will not be the last TV I own. As for my thoughts to you Peter, do what you have to but do not be surprised if you see IR on a solid light colored image on your next one as well.
post #3611 of 5356 Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbait View Post

Honestly Ace I would have to disagree. I have had the set since last august and kept it in THX mode the entire time. I gamed from the get go and had no IR. In this instance I really did not mix my content up, I just stayed playing the same game for a number of hours a day over a period of a week and a half. I think that is a recipe for IR no matter how many sets I exchange.

I do not think my set is defective and I believe that changing sets at the site of IR is ridiculous. The fact that it is fading and that at this point I have to know what I am looking for on a solid light colored image tells me it is getting better.

I also decided to tone down my THX settings for gaming and am more careful about mixing content. I do love this set but it will not be the last TV I own. As for my thoughts to you Peter, do what you have to but do not be surprised if you see IR on a solid light colored image on your next one as well.

FWIW , there are several on here that claim to play 3 times as much as we do , put together, with absolutely no IR. You can also search some of the serious gamer's forums and read what they do with no IR.
If you can live with it , so be it! Plasma is the bomb.
post #3612 of 5356 Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1965 View Post

fwiw , there are several on here that claim to play 3 times as much as we do , put together, with absolutely no ir. You can also search some of the serious gamer's forums and read what they do with no ir.
If you can live with it , so be it! Plasma is the bomb.

post #3613 of 5356 Old 02-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

@Crankbait

I have been using the hd test white paper similar what the hitachi plasma use for there anti ir on therir tv's to try and even out the ir ,since the word "menu "was in white,its shaving it down some.

I love my set and it was my own doing monkeying around alot in the set up menu while my set was brand new obsessing about proper settings and calibrations and I ended up getting snake bit in the process.

You are correct that I can end up with a worse or faulty tv if I exchange this one considering it has been good.I will monitor it and hope for the best that it will completely dissappear soon.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
post #3614 of 5356 Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

I have persistent ir on my 1 week old 55GT30.Its from the tv's menu itself.I can see the word "Menu" on light screens from the break in slides.I have run the tv's screen wipe feature a few times,watched Ice Age 2 hoping that it will erase it but unfortunately i can still see it after two days of noticing it.

If by a couple of more weeks and I still notice the ir still there should i return the set or should I live with what I got knowing that the ir should eventually erase?

If it makes you feal any better I did the same thing. I had the word MENU etched in the upper left corner. I suspect it was during 3D "calibration". Things are extra bright when in 3D mode. I did end up returning mine, but the main reason was the pink and green patches. I did get it to fade to the point that at 10 feet it was difficult to see. THe annoying thing is you need to not use the setup MENU. If you do, get in and out as quickly as possible. I ended up trying to use the Viera Tools menu for as much as possible such as switching between THX and Standard.

Since your TV is young, it will likely fade once the rest of the TV gets worked in. Based upon my research, this could take months.
post #3615 of 5356 Old 02-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwdev View Post

If it makes you feal any better I did the same thing. I had the word MENU etched in the upper left corner. I suspect it was during 3D "calibration". Things are extra bright when in 3D mode. I did end up returning mine, but the main reason was the pink and green patches. I did get it to fade to the point that at 10 feet it was difficult to see. THe annoying thing is you need to not use the setup MENU. If you do, get in and out as quickly as possible. I ended up trying to use the Viera Tools menu for as much as possible such as switching between THX and Standard.

Since your TV is young, it will likely fade once the rest of the TV gets worked in. Based upon my research, this could take months.

I agree. It should fade over time to the point it's not noticable at all.
post #3616 of 5356 Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F27 View Post

I just used it around 200 hours normal TV on half brightness, no slides because I've heard some horror stories! The picture has turned out great but I'm still having some issues with IR which are quite concerning and I think it might be overtime causing uneveness in the pixel wear.

Such as?
post #3617 of 5356 Old 02-17-2012, 12:23 PM

I just want to jump in here and discuss.

I bought a Panasonic plasma P65ST30. I received it around Xmas time. I ran the DNice slides for about 120 hours before I used the set.

Then I started gaming. A combo of Skyrim and DC Universe Online. Also watching some TV and movies.

No problems at all. Including 3 hour gaming sessions.

Then one day, I was playing DC Universe for about 3 hours. I turned things off and went to bed. Mind you, this is after having run the slides for 120 hours, and over 100 hours of Skyrim...plus DC Universe, movies, TV.

When I turned it back on the next day, I had severe image retention. There was no trace of any image retention prior to this, so it all literally happened in one session.

I have my HUD in the upper left of the screen. Teammates HUDs along the left side of the screen. And a power bar on the bottom. Plus some horizontal lines on the right.

I've rerun the slides. I've run the Pixel Flipper from the Disney WOW dvd overnight for a few nights. I've run movies on loops over multiple nights. Animated movies, non-animated movies. You name it.

No real success. I just ordered the Pixel Protector DVD and am hoping the screen washes will help me.

I own a 46 inch Panny Plasma that I got in 2008. I took the same precautions this time around that I took with the old set. I have had ZERO IR on my other plasma.

What should I do?

I didn't think I was abusing the set, but now I have plenty of IR/Burn in. Is this an issue with the actual set?
post #3618 of 5356 Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrdzak View Post

I just want to jump in here and discuss.

I bought a Panasonic plasma P65ST30. I received it around Xmas time. I ran the DNice slides for about 120 hours before I used the set.

Then I started gaming. A combo of Skyrim and DC Universe Online. Also watching some TV and movies.

No problems at all. Including 3 hour gaming sessions.

Then one day, I was playing DC Universe for about 3 hours. I turned things off and went to bed. Mind you, this is after having run the slides for 120 hours, and over 100 hours of Skyrim...plus DC Universe, movies, TV.

When I turned it back on the next day, I had severe image retention. There was no trace of any image retention prior to this, so it all literally happened in one session.

I have my HUD in the upper left of the screen. Teammates HUDs along the left side of the screen. And a power bar on the bottom. Plus some horizontal lines on the right.

I've rerun the slides. I've run the Pixel Flipper from the Disney WOW dvd overnight for a few nights. I've run movies on loops over multiple nights. Animated movies, non-animated movies. You name it.

No real success. I just ordered the Pixel Protector DVD and am hoping the screen washes will help me.

I own a 46 inch Panny Plasma that I got in 2008. I took the same precautions this time around that I took with the old set. I have had ZERO IR on my other plasma.

What should I do?

I didn't think I was abusing the set, but now I have plenty of IR/Burn in. Is this an issue with the actual set?

Do you notice the IR under normal viewing circumstances? (Ex. not a 'white' or 'green' screen or from 6" away). Did you change your picture settings at all prior to this IR? (like bumped up the contrast?)

Total bummer and I hope it goes away!
post #3619 of 5356 Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer444 View Post

Do you notice the IR under normal viewing circumstances? (Ex. not a 'white' or 'green' screen or from 6" away). Did you change your picture settings at all prior to this IR? (like bumped up the contrast?)

Total bummer and I hope it goes away!

Honestly, I can't see it unless it's on a very light screen. Like a blue sky or white background. I sit about 8 feet back. And I can clearly see all of the different spots of IR on my screen. This has been for about 3 weeks now.

But the HUD IR in the upper left also has color to it. So it isn't just grayish ghosting.

Watching sports, watching movies, I usually don't see anything. And if I do, it's the upper left HUD due to the color.

When gaming, I did use the "Game" mode. For normal viewing, I use DNice's settings. I've since stopped using Game mode and only use DNice's settings.

Don't know why they even have a Game mode when it's bad for the TV.

For getting rid of the IR, I've run the slides, movies, and Pixel Flipper in the following modes: DNice's, Vivid, Game.

Just looking for some advice on what I should do, and if I should modify settings.

Thanks!
post #3620 of 5356 Old 02-17-2012, 01:00 PM

I agree about the Game Mode! I also use it on my GT30 (as well as THX) but I set the contrast to 50 or lower. I wouldn't worry about the IR if it's only noticeable on light/white screens, as I'm sure it'll go away eventually. I'd just enjoy your TV and keep on pluggin with your games!
post #3621 of 5356 Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrdzak View Post

Honestly, I can't see it unless it's on a very light screen. Like a blue sky or white background. I sit about 8 feet back. And I can clearly see all of the different spots of IR on my screen. This has been for about 3 weeks now.

But the HUD IR in the upper left also has color to it. So it isn't just grayish ghosting.

Watching sports, watching movies, I usually don't see anything. And if I do, it's the upper left HUD due to the color.

When gaming, I did use the "Game" mode. For normal viewing, I use DNice's settings. I've since stopped using Game mode and only use DNice's settings.

Don't know why they even have a Game mode when it's bad for the TV.

For getting rid of the IR, I've run the slides, movies, and Pixel Flipper in the following modes: DNice's, Vivid, Game.

Just looking for some advice on what I should do, and if I should modify settings.

Thanks!

I joined this site after posting a help request in a general discussion forum on another site. One of the members there pointed me here. You pretty much described my *exact* problem with my Panasonic TC-P50GT30 plasma. The only difference is that I was playing Gears of War, and its those game indicators I can see shadows of in the upper right and left.

What is Dnice's settings?

Here's my original post at the other site. I hope someone here can help us out. I just started browsing this thread, so if there's a particular page of it, or another thread with that would help, I would much appreciate if I could be pointed there.

Quote:

I'm angry. I'm hoping this isn't as serious as it looks.

I own a Panasonic Viera 50" 3D Plasma. I bought it as a birthday present to myself last October. I've been playing Gears of War 3 Horde mode for the last couple weeks. Not in huge 24/7 sessions like a little kid might, but if you've played Horde, you know you're playing it for a good hour or two at a time. I would not classify the game time as unreasonable lengths, and there's been some tv inbetween.

This week, I noticed that I could see in the upper right and left hand corners of the screen shadows of the game indicators. I run the white bar sweep, repeatedly, and its still there. I confirm the Pixel orbiter is still on. I start doing some research and learn about "Vivd" mode being nicknamed "Torch" mode, how its a bad thing and should be turned off right away. I've been purposefully turning it to "Game" mode, which looks similar to "Vivid" in a way, so now I assume it's "Torch"ing as well. From what I researched, people were suggesting keeping it on THX, and that what I'm seeing is not burn-in, but image retention, and to keep it on with random pics/tv to help clear it. I read one comment that it took weeks to clear, and that burn-in is near impossible with the new sets. I've left the set on with a tv channel in THX since last night, and am planning to continue. I wish I felt confident that its stubborn image retention.

Like I said I'm angry. Should I have known better. Possibly. However, you shouldn't go calling one of your video modes "Game" and you really shouldn't be including any type of mode that can so easily damage the screen without at least a crapload of warnings. The salesman certainly didn't mention it either. In fact, I remember him saying burn-in wasn't an issue anymore.

The upside is that I bought an extended warranty with the set that's supposed to cover everything. I haven't looked too close at the details yet, but I'm hoping this is covered. I don't see anything unreasonable about how I used the tv.

For anyone that has any experience with the newer plasmas, can you help or add any info or constructive comments about my dilemma? Thanks.

I've since glanced through my extended warranty papers and noticed that it covers laptops that have been dropped or have had drinks spilled on them. So I'm thinking this should certainly qualify if it turns out to be permanent. However, I want to keep it on for at least up to a week before making a service call. When do I reach the point where a service call is warranted?

I can't tell yet if keeping the tv on with random images is helping. I think it might be, but I don't yet feel confident that it might not just be wishful thinking on my part. I turned off the 4:3 after I bought it, because I don't mind the image stretching, so that's not an issue.

If this turns out to not be permanent, I am seriously considering unloading the tv for an LCD or LED. My previous set was an LCD that's primary selling feature was 1080p because that was the new thing at the time. I went plasma partially because how I hated how the black levels looked on my LCD. Space scenes or dark scenes simply sucked. But I got rid of that set because it started with some nasty image retention whenever a Green/purple/pink object was on screen for a short period. I considered the set "ancient" at that point, so I didn't mind so much having to buy a new one. Btw, I played *PLENTY* of Gears of War 2 Horde on it, and never had a problem like with this new set.
post #3622 of 5356 Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Wow I like this post !

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nnyfive View Post

After doing some reading in this thread, I feel inspired to write this post for newbies. I understand that there have been many newbie articles written before (too many), but this is my attempt to add something new to the discussion. Keep in mind that this is only my OPINION. Do not take what I say as gospel, and it would behoove you to take most people's opinions about plasma with a large, heavy, grain of salt. In other words, plasma TV, a high-performing TV, asks you to be a high-performing person and do your own thinking for yourself. When you read advice in these forums, take time and ask yourself "Does that make sense?"

I entitle this post "The Philosophy of Plasma TV." (I know this sounds goofy, just indulge me here.) Now, time to wax philosophical. I will start this speech by saying:

Television has changed. Back when the old big heavy boxy TVs (CRT) were the norm, life was simple. So many of the options we now take for granted simply were not there. VCR tape players didn't have elaborate menu systems (no static images). Movies were formatted to fit your square screen perfectly (no black bars). Al Gore had not yet given us the Internet to surf from our TVs (using TV as a computer monitor). XBox-360 wasn't around to lower the average person's IQ by about 40 points (Halo). Elder Scrolls video games did not exist (to sit on the screen for hours and hours and days and days). We live in a DIFFERENT time for television.

The line between "TV" and "computer monitor" has become very thin. As the Internet becomes increasingly ubiquitous, TVs have evolved to suit it's needs. Do you remember when you first started hearing about LCD TV? What was LCD popularly used for before it became TV? That's right! Computer monitors on laptop computers. Computer monitors are designed to withstand static images and long hours of use. The invention of LCD TV has allowed many of these computing activities to be spread (safely) to the TV. So, it has become "normal" to expose current day TVs to hours and hours of black bars, 100+ hour video games, lots of graphical menus, web surfing, and the like. In other words, modern day LCD tvs are built to be handled like a computer monitor, safely. Now...

Plasma TV hit the market during what I want to call a "transitional period" in television. Plasma was developed under the philosophy of the older TVs. Guess what? When I played video games on my old CRT, I KNEW that I shouldn't leave the game paused for very long (without turning the TV off)! This was NORMAL. We didn't think of this as a hassle. We thought of it as common sense. TVs were machines that got hot. It was "okay" that this was the case. People weren't paranoid with it (at least nobody I knew).
If image retention DID happen... ah well.. such was life! It lessened with time, and you weren't too picky about it.

Plasma TV was a teeny tiny little bit more prone to burn-in, but that was because it was a PERFORMANCE machine. Superior picture quality came at a price. Many people were willing to pay this price because the picture was incredibly beautiful. You can't get somethin' for nothin'. However, since LCD tvs have been invented, the public's opinion about TV has changed. It has now become normal to EXPECT a TV to handle anything you throw at it. And this is a feature of LCD. Want to play games for days at a time? Go ahead. Want to watch nothing but movies with black bars? Go ahead. (Can you get stuck images on LCD? Maybe, but it is ludicrously rare, I mean, absurdly rare.)

So, why are plasma TVs still sold today? Well, to the people who understand it's capabilities, they are sold for their awesome picture performance. But, plasma manufacturers want to sell to MANY people, so they market them as being "for everyone." It is truly debatable as to whether they ARE for everyone. I say no (because of the current day assumptions of TV use).

The philosophy of plasma TV is of the older TVs. A TV is NOT a computer monitor. A TV is NOT a dedicated gaming station. A TV requires a bit of thoughtful care and it will perform well for you. Everything has a cost. Plasma can produce superior picture quality to LCD and LED, but you have to keep these things in mind. Your kids and wife will expect it to be just like an LCD. Now, are there some LED tvs that can match the (subjective) picture quality of plasma? YES! But, again, everything has a cost (e.g. The Sharp Elite).

If you are thinking about owning a plasma TV, I ask that you keep these things in mind. If you don't expect perfection (absolutely no image retention, etc), and you are willing to keep an eye on it from time-to-time and break it in properly (keep contrast below 50%, no black bars for a period of time, etc), then plasma is for you. It can produce an amazingly film-like picture that will stun you again and again.

Thanks.

P.S. (Yeah, I know, this post was kinda inspired by Donnie Darko and maybe a little Fight Club. Oh well... lol)

post #3623 of 5356 Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 AM

@Afrdzak

Same thing happened to me, Dead Island life bar and flashlight. Also out of the blue compared to all the other gaming I did. I reckon it was because I did not mix up my gaming. Same that it was only visible on light colors. Check my posts above for the full story.

If I was you I would just stop that game and switch to other content. I can honestly say it is now, after a spot check last night, almost completely gone. Granted I did 100 hours of straight slides at high contrast and having been using the set for other content quite a bit. The flashlight is completely gone and you can really only see the life bar on a solid light colored screen and even then have to know what you are looking for.

I have no idea how and why this happened on this game other than the constant time with that content being displayed. I play Gears all the time, among other games, and have had zero burn in from them.

I think it will go away for you and I think that all of us plasma gamers should be cognizant that we need to vary content in addition to managing our settings.
post #3624 of 5356 Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm starting to have buyer's remorse now. I picked up a Panasonic TC-P42X3 plasma over the weekend on clearance from Best Buy. It is replacing a 27 tube tv we have had for years. Now it seems I'm getting plasma paranoia. I have been tweaking color settings today spending a lot of time in the tv's menu. I set the contrast lower then the brightness like I read and tried some of the previous poster's calibrations from the xxX3 postings. I then decided to switch to a hdmi input and play some xbox. I switched to the input before I turned on the xbox so a dark screen appeared first. That was then when I could see some image retention from the tv menus- specifically the round circle on the bottom left that shows the return button and round buttons like on your remote. I immediately ran the white swipe bar for a few minutes and it go rid of it. I also fired up the xbox and played literally 2 minutes of Call of Duty and then checked the screen and sure enough you could see some of the hud display. I assume this is what is called image retention vs burn in? Should I just give up playing games on it? If this is an issue- would it also happen with horizontal black bars like you see in some tv programming and bluray/dvd movies? I am about ready to take the TV back now and get a LCD. I had thought this was not as big an issue anymore. Am I just overreacting?

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #3625 of 5356 Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 AM

Image retention is normal. As long as it goes away it's fine. How many hours have you used the tv?
post #3626 of 5356 Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastperf View Post

Image retention is normal. As long as it goes away it's fine. How many hours have you used the tv?

I got the TV Friday night- I bet I have maybe 10-15 hours on it.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #3627 of 5356 Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 AM

It's completely normal to get image retention, especially when the set is brand new. I would recommend running as much content as possible while still within your return period to make sure the set doesn't have any defects. Make sure to run things full-screen and without any logos like blu-rays and dvd's. Avoid black bars from movies and 4:3 content as well. After you get some hours on your set, you can run anything you want but just try to run full screen content after any long session with black bars or gaming.
You should look for some recommended picture settings for your set. Make sure not to have the picture settings set on Vivid and try to keep contrast and brightness low for the first couple of hundred hours or so.
You'll learn to ignore image retention in time. It's just gonna take time for your brain to get comfortable with the fact that it's normal.
post #3628 of 5356 Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Well just an update:

Its been 2 weeks since this post^ and the stubborn menu IR is about 97% dissappeared,i have to squint to see it.So it gives me hope that it is not burn in and that it should be completely gone soon.PHEW!!!

I used pixel protector wash 1 for many hours at a time and I also unplugged the tv for 24+hrs per panasonic consierge recommenation,which seemed to help.

I'am thrilled that its going away as it was driving me nuts and was about to return it just for that reason as it is a great set wth no buzzing and has a fantastic picture.If anything, I broke in this sucker pretty good as the colors look super now in THX mode and Dave O settings'.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
post #3629 of 5356 Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Do you guys with long lasting IR have the orbit setting enabled in the menu, on my LG it`s supposed to move the screen every two minutes.

John.

LG Plasma 50PK590 - LG LCD 19LH2000 - Xbox 360 Arcade Jasper - Humax HDR-FOX-T2
post #3630 of 5356 Old 03-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderbox (UK) View Post

Do you guys with long lasting IR have the orbit setting enabled in the menu, on my LG it`s supposed to move the screen every two minutes.

John.

I do use the orbiting pixels feature. It's been on since the day the set showed up to my house.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page