Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 123 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3661 of 5306 Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWesp View Post

I live in a PAL-region. Can I use these videos on my ST50? Cause they are NTSC.

Yes, it will work, it is not region protected.
Let us know your results!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 5306 Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I'm sure glad I stumbled across this thread! I have been researching plasmas for quite some time before I purchase my first HDTV next month, and was pretty much settled on the Panasonic 50UT50.

But now that I've read through a great deal of this thread (3 hours now) I have no idea why anyone would buy a plasma! How can people who care so much about IQ that they refuse to buy LCD then say "yeah, you get IR all the time, but it's not that noticeable... don't worry about it" !!?? Why in the world would anyone settle for this? Least of all "videophiles" who convinced me plasma was the only way to go!

I bet you I would notice and be bothered far more by image retention -- or just the constant worry about watching too much of the "wrong kind" of programming -- than any IQ shortcomings of LCD.

I am rather astonished that people keep saying for years that "burn-in problems are a thing of the past, don't worry about it..." I hear a lot of patronizing "don't worry your pretty little head about it" talk and then see in this thread that these issues are FAR from resolved in 2012! If I have to "be careful" of what is on the screen and for how long at time, from letterboxes or pillarboxes to news tickers and station logos -- OMG, don't worry about it??
post #3663 of 5306 Old 04-22-2012, 11:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJune View Post

Well, I'm sure glad I stumbled across this thread! I have been researching plasmas for quite some time before I purchase my first HDTV next month, and was pretty much settled on the "Panasonic 50UT50".

But now that I've read through a great deal of this thread (3 hours now) I have no idea why anyone would buy a plasma! How can people who care so much about IQ that they refuse to buy LCD then say "yeah, you get IR all the time, but it's not that noticeable... don't worry about it" !!?? Why in the world would anyone settle for this? Least of all "videophiles" who convinced me plasma was the only way to go!

I bet you I would notice and be bothered far more by image retention -- or just the constant worry about watching too much of the "wrong kind" of programming -- than any IQ shortcomings of LCD.

I am rather astonished that people keep saying for years that "burn-in problems are a thing of the past, don't worry about it..." I hear a lot of patronizing "don't worry your pretty little head about it" talk and then see in this thread that these issues are FAR from resolved in 2012! If I have to "be careful" of what is on the screen and for how long at time, from letterboxes or pillarboxes to news tickers and station logos -- OMG, don't worry about it??

Very well said,But i must say that it's a matter of taste & personal preference and people like me prefer to buy plasma tv.And if iam to buy a new hdtv in the future it will also be a plasma tv from panasonic VT line up 50 inches above.For me the plasma tv feels gentle on my eyes.And i have waited all these years for my crt 34inches sony trinitron to fail.Just because i did not like the colors of LCD tv's,very glaring and horrible blacks.I still love the crt tv's but its a shame that manufactures have stopped making it.
And as far as IR and burn issues are concerned you are right about plasmas but i feel plasma tv's are for movie buffs like me,who use their tv's to watch movies and not to watch sports,news channels or as a computer monitor !

So its a matter of preference and iam glad that though the plasma technology is bit out dated compared to LED or OLED tv's,Still they are being manufactured because there are still people who love this technology which feels more like the old crt tv's.

I use my plasma v series tv for 6 hours daily and its one year old now.Initially as you told even i used to get IR even from the TV's menu but would go away in 5 to 10 minutes of regular viewing of HD content.But now i have noticed that the phosphors have settled down and i even watch 16:9 movies with black bars on top and bottom.And there is no IR.And i have used my plasma for a year carefully but now iam pushing my plasma to its limits just to see how sturdy its towards IR & Burn-In after a year of regular usage...And we watch news channels with stickers,sports channel with stickers & bright logos.The tv is performing great no problem at all.

What i want to insist here is if one loves the color & feel of LCD's then there is no point buying a low end plasma tv of small size(i.e 42 to 46 inches).If one is going in for plasma it should be the GT,VT models with screen size of 50 inches & above ! And using it for watching BD or High Def movies from DTH-HD broadcast.
And to own a plasma one do need to have some amount of patience,previous experience as well.While LCD tv's on the other hand are ready to be used out of their box right a way !

Here are some links on the VT model :

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P65VT50

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...trackInfo=true

Love,
kris.

God Is With You !
post #3664 of 5306 Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 AM

When you guys run break-in slides, do you generally use the brighter dynamic/vivid settings (I would think that would help age the phosphors quicker) or gentler movie/cinema settings?
post #3665 of 5306 Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Here is a custom window washer - please provide feedback on whether it is any more or less effective removing IR than whatever you are currently using. It's an mp4 file and plays fine on my samsung so if you need another format also let me know. thanks.
post #3666 of 5306 Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg View Post

When you guys run break-in slides, do you generally use the brighter dynamic/vivid settings (I would think that would help age the phosphors quicker) or gentler movie/cinema settings?

Your guess is right, you want to run the contrast at 100% and brightness about 50.
post #3667 of 5306 Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Here is a custom window washer - please provide feedback on whether it is any more or less effective removing IR than whatever you are currently using. It's an mp4 file and plays fine on my samsung so if you need another format also let me know. thanks.

I'll burn it to DVD and give it a try for one hour a day for seven days. I have a Panasonic V10 65" -couple years old. Lower left hand corner FOX News logo did a number. I'll post back.
Thanks
Jake
post #3668 of 5306 Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

ok thanks, turn up contrast and cell/panel brightness (if you have those) to max while running it and let me know if 7 hours has any effect at all.
post #3669 of 5306 Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Hello everyone, just want to start off by saying thanks for all the great information.

My bogus situation:
I've managed to burn in the outline of the ESPN ticker complete with logo into the bottom of the screen. Noticed it just after the 30-day return period ended. Quickly found out burn in isn't covered under warranty. Yikes!

I've spent the last two months or so running the burn in protection bars overnight and adjusting the ticker image while viewing so that it's off the bottom of the screen with the hope of getting the retained image to disappear.

It's gotten lighter, but refuses to go away completely. I'm now officially frustrated.

Questions:
1. If you've had a real burn-in problem (not image retention) and fixed it (made it go away completely), what, exactly, did you do?

2. Assuming the image isn't going away any time soon, does anyone know what I might say to Samsung to get them to replace the set? (If I had it to do over again, I'm pretty sure knowing what I know now I could keep the problem from manifesting.)

3. Finally, I know some magic words to say that might get Samsung to replace the screen. Is this option viable, or will this procedure negatively effect the lifespan of the set to the point where it's not worth doing?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated!
post #3670 of 5306 Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 AM

How long had you left it on ESPN?
post #3671 of 5306 Old 05-02-2012, 11:18 AM

[quote=Damiene;21975825]How long had you left it on ESPN?[/

I'd say the TV was on for about 30 hours a week. Of that, probably 75% was ESPN or ESPN2 because it was college b-ball season when I'm watching those channels constantly.

Even more importantly though, I had the TV on dynamic (brightest setting-I didn't know any better) the whole time and would leave ESPN on after the sports that I was watching ended.

Despite what you read about burn-in not being a problem in modern plasmas, it very much is a problem, especially during the initial 200 hours of viewing.

I was lulled into a false sense of security by things I'd read on CNET etc., didn't do enough research at sites like this one and ultimately got burned a bit.

Unless somebody here can tell me the magic words to get Samsung to replace the set, I'll probably end up selling it for a huge discount, biting the bullet, and getting a much more expensive LCD (either Sony XBR 929 or Samsung UND8000).

Both those sets deliver lower picture quality based on what I've seen, but I'll be able to watch sports as much as I want without having to stress about abusing the TV with fixed images. Oh well, live and learn . . .
post #3672 of 5306 Old 05-04-2012, 05:47 AM

I was being careful (not leaving the image on for more than 15 minutes at a time, not using Vivid) and still got burn-in. I'll give those new videos a try, but after several months, I don't think I'm ever going to be able to get rid of that Forza speedometer in my lower right-hand corner.
post #3673 of 5306 Old 05-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm a recent plasma adopter coming from only owning LCD's and DLP's. I was very skeptical due to IR and Burn-in, but after buying a new LED/LCD and still not being quite satisfied with the picture, I decided I had to give Plasma a shot. In February I purchased the Panasonic 65VT30 and can honestly say it has the best picture of any TV I've ever seen. In regard to IR it definitely can have its issues, but it also seems to be very much an attribute of how you treat it. From what I've read, over time the TV will become less susceptible to IR and thus far this seems to be holding true for me. I ran it at low contrast for the first 500 hours and ran break-in slides (not continuous) as well. If I get persistent IR then I put it on content without logos and put it in Vivid Mode (aka Torch Mode) and it comes right out within about an hour. I now have upped the contrast a bit, but I'm still very careful. I can honestly say that the picture quality is worth all of it!

fdsfds
post #3674 of 5306 Old 05-04-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

I'm a recent plasma adopter coming from only owning LCD's and DLP's. I was very skeptical due to IR and Burn-in, but after buying a new LED/LCD and still not being quite satisfied with the picture, I decided I had to give Plasma a shot. In February I purchased the Panasonic 65VT30 and can honestly say it has the best picture of any TV I've ever seen. In regard to IR it definitely can have its issues, but it also seems to be very much an attribute of how you treat it. From what I've read, over time the TV will become less susceptible to IR and thus far this seems to be holding true for me. I ran it at low contrast for the first 500 hours and ran break-in slides (not continuous) as well. If I get persistent IR then I put it on content without logos and put it in Vivid Mode (aka Torch Mode) and it comes right out within about an hour. I now have upped the contrast a bit, but I'm still very careful. I can honestly say that the picture quality is worth all of it!

Well Said ! And yes my tv is around a year old and i view 6 hours of HD broadcast in it daily.Initially i did get IR even while setting the menu screen.
But now i watch tv programs with logos & stickers,And also 16:9 content BD movies with black bars on top and bottom.I do not get any IR at all.And i have now increased all the settings to my liking.And the picture quality is amazing and in a couple of years i wish to buy another plasma of 65 inches from the vt line up.my present tv is panasonic 50 inches v20 series and its a non 3D model.
And by the way i use it mainly for watching BD movies and Soaps from DTH-HD broadcast.And never used it for gaming !

Love,
kris.

God Is With You !
post #3675 of 5306 Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 PM

Liked: 13
I just ordered a 2012 Panasonic 55in VT50 its my first plasma, are the newer displays still susceptible to IR and burn in?? and should i have it professionally calibrated??

John
post #3676 of 5306 Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Hammer, congratulations on your purchase! Yes, all plasmas are susceptible to IR and burn-in. However, true burn-in isn't likely to happen unless you really abuse your set. What you need to do is check out this thread for break-in slides or you can go to the official Panasonic VT, GT and ST30 forum and look for the mini FAQ which contains the slides. Just follow the directions, run for 200 hours. I ran mine, not continuous for a few hours each night after viewing and I lowered my contrast significantly (down to 40). I put about 500 hours on the set then put it in thx mode and I have no IR. THX mode is still lower contrast than my preferred mode of custom but if I put in custom I get slight IR. I expect to keep gradually increasing until I get to my preferred settings. Everything with these sets is like taking baby steps, but the picture is well worth it and if you treat it correctly from the onset, you won't have to worry in the future.

fdsfds
post #3677 of 5306 Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 PM

I'm doing the 150 hours panel aging break in with a Pioneer 6020 converted to an E-lite (through the board swap). I'm using a usb flash thumb drive, and following the instructions.

basically the instructions are to set up the color slides as a slideshow. However, there is a 10 second black out/off period before each new slide shows up. And sometimes it makes a noise, as if it's turning on for the first time (almost like a pop/clicking sound), when it flashes from black out/off to the color slide. I know that this sound isn't abnormal. Or at least I don't think it is. But is it good for the TV flash from the black out/off position and then to a color slide over and over for 150 hours?
post #3678 of 5306 Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caunyd View Post

I'm doing the 150 hours panel aging break in with a Pioneer 6020 converted to an E-lite (through the board swap). I'm using a usb flash thumb drive, and following the instructions.

basically the instructions are to set up the color slides as a slideshow. However, there is a 10 second black out/off period before each new slide shows up. And sometimes it makes a noise, as if it's turning on for the first time (almost like a pop/clicking sound), when it flashes from black out/off to the color slide. I know that this sound isn't abnormal. Or at least I don't think it is. But is it good for the TV flash from the black out/off position and then to a color slide over and over for 150 hours?

Hi,
I request you to use your tv as a regular crt tv.by viewing your tv programs & HD content from ps3 or bd player.And pioneer has the best plasma panel ever built till this day.And any colour slides running in the panel should be continuous,So if the usb port inputs does not give a continuous sequence of colours.then i recommend you to avoid that method.Better still burn a dvd or bd with colour slides show and run it on loop.But certainly your dvd player is bound to wear doing so or at times even hang..
Pioneer plasmas are bullet proof kind of built,so don't worry.
And the pop/clicking sound is due to tv going from full energy use up mode to economy mode(i.e when there is no picture the circuits switch down power to save energy)going to this mode often is not advisable.If you connect a watts meter to your tv you will understand what its doing.
Pioneer has stopped manufacturing such great panels,So use your tv wisely.To get many years of happy HD viewing.

Love,
kris.

God Is With You !
post #3679 of 5306 Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Hammer, congratulations on your purchase! Yes, all plasmas are susceptible to IR and burn-in. However, true burn-in isn't likely to happen unless you really abuse your set. What you need to do is check out this thread for break-in slides or you can go to the official Panasonic VT, GT and ST30 forum and look for the mini FAQ which contains the slides. Just follow the directions, run for 200 hours. I ran mine, not continuous for a few hours each night after viewing and I lowered my contrast significantly (down to 40). I put about 500 hours on the set then put it in thx mode and I have no IR. THX mode is still lower contrast than my preferred mode of custom but if I put in custom I get slight IR. I expect to keep gradually increasing until I get to my preferred settings. Everything with these sets is like taking baby steps, but the picture is well worth it and if you treat it correctly from the onset, you won't have to worry in the future.

What is to "really abuse" ? Let's say I watch 5 hours of tv every day and 4 hours of this is the same channel every day. Would this be abusing???

Also would anyone comment on the 50 series Panasonics about the succeptibility to IR?
post #3680 of 5306 Old 05-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

ok thanks, turn up contrast and cell/panel brightness (if you have those) to max while running it and let me know if 7 hours has any effect at all.

Tried it out, my IR is still there. I'll keep searching.
Thanks
post #3681 of 5306 Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Kris thanks for the advice and the insight in your post. It was very informative.
post #3682 of 5306 Old 05-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkerlog View Post

What is to "really abuse" ? Let's say I watch 5 hours of tv every day and 4 hours of this is the same channel every day. Would this be abusing???

Also would anyone comment on the 50 series Panasonics about the succeptibility to IR?

Abuse would be characterized more by leaving static images on the screen for extended periods of time or running the tv in vivid (aka torch mode) with static images. All in all, burn-in is not all that big of an issue in new sets as compared to older models. Most people have what is characterized as persistent IR but will lessen over time. Regardless of what plasma display you buy, it will be susceptible to IR. You will have to treat it with care for the first several hundred hours to make sure the phosphors burn evenly. My set's susceptibility to IR is decreasing as it ages. Don't let this forum scare you. I'm sure there are thousands of plasma owners out there that follow none of these rules of thumb and have no visible side effects. The picture my plasma produces versus my top of the line led in my bedroom makes it all worth it. Just use common sense with your set and you should have no problems.

fdsfds
post #3683 of 5306 Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caunyd View Post

Kris thanks for the advice and the insight in your post. It was very informative.

you are welcome.

love,
kris.

God Is With You !
post #3684 of 5306 Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkerlog View Post

Also would anyone comment on the 50 series Panasonics about the susceptibility to IR?

Hi,
If you watch the same channel with bright or static logo is bound to leave IR.And how stubborn that IR going to be depends on how many hours you have put in or how old is your plasma.i.e New tv with less than 100hrs gets IR very easily even by watching static content for 30 or 40 minutes.
But when you have put 500hrs or about a year of regular usage.IR is either mild or does not form at all.With my Panasonic that is how it is...
And feed back on VT50 series is too new to the market to anyone comment on it.4 to 6 months from now i think folks here would be able to say how well built it is in respect to IR.

love,
kris.

God Is With You !
post #3685 of 5306 Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 AM

Just wanted to add here, I have watched my new 55GT50 (had it for just over a week now) on single channels with logos or crawl bars for up to several hours at a time with out seeing any bit of IR at all. I'm using it in Custom picture mode with contrast set to about 75 (at work so not sure of the exact value off the top of my head). I was pretty cautious with it the first few days, gradually increasing the time on such channels and checking for IR afterwards, but I'm pretty comfortable with feeling like it would take a fairly extended session on such content to cause any kind of major issue at this point.
post #3686 of 5306 Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 AM

I'm considering the VT50, it would be my first plasma.

My wife needs to have sub-titles on 100% of the time.
I have my cable box setup to display the text only, not text in a black box.
I am concerned about IR/Burn-in where the text is displayed, need I be?

post #3687 of 5306 Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Over a long period of time, yes, the area where the text is displayed will probably show some darkening on any plasma, but it's very hard to predict how long it would take before you noticed it.
post #3688 of 5306 Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 AM

So I'm sure this has been answered thousand times before:

How much of an impact does letter/pillarboxing have on a plasma? I just got a Panasonic GT50, and after only a couple hours of, granted irresponsible, pillarbox use, there are brighter bars on the sides. These have failed to disappear completely after several days of full-screen use, and I'm wondering how much of this I'm going to have to deal with in the long term.

I'm very particular about both picture quality and aspect ratio, so if this is just something that plasmas do, then it'll have to go back. I watch way too much pillar and letterboxes content to put up with bright sides, and I don't want to have to babysit the thing to make sure it ages gracefully.

I'm giving it a couple more weeks inside the return policy, but I'd like to hear what other folks experience is. Thanks.
post #3689 of 5306 Old 05-13-2012, 01:33 PM

I'm in the same boat as Heinhouser. I've got a new Samsung PND647000 and we've been watching 3-4 hours a day of 4:3 content. Now I have brighter bars on the sides. I new about burn in with static images and I was careful not to leave the set parked on channels with logos in the corner etc. However, I did not realize that watching letterbox content would have the same effect. Is here a way to recover from this? Will it get better over time? I saw on this forum again and again, that it was very hard to burn in modern plasmas, and I actually thought I was being careful. Did not read the fine print in the user's manual, and am now kicking myself in the ass. Any hope that this will clear up some?

Thanks,

T.
post #3690 of 5306 Old 05-13-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taillefer View Post

I'm in the same boat as Heinhouser. I've got a new Samsung PND647000 and we've been watching 3-4 hours a day of 4:3 content. Now I have brighter bars on the sides. I new about burn in with static images and I was careful not to leave the set parked on channels with logos in the corner etc. However, I did not realize that watching letterbox content would have the same effect. Is here a way to recover from this? Will it get better over time? I saw on this forum again and again, that it was very hard to burn in modern plasmas, and I actually thought I was being careful. Did not read the fine print in the user's manual, and am now kicking myself in the ass. Any hope that this will clear up some?

Thanks,

T.

Run a white image for a few hours, it should disappear.
And avoid black bars (either on sides or top/bottom ones) for the first 200 hours.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page