Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 124 - AVS Forum
First ... 122  123  124 125  126  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only
Jammers10's Avatar Jammers10 05:08 PM 05-13-2012
I have a new 50" Plasma and i haven't hit the 100 hours break in period yet. Should i wait until it's over 100 hours before i start watching DVD's?

brody76's Avatar brody76 06:45 PM 05-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

I have a new 50" Plasma and i haven't hit the 100 hours break in period yet. Should i wait until it's over 100 hours before i start watching DVD's?

No, of course not.
Just make sure your brightness is somewhere near 50 and your contrast no more than 80.

Watch some DVD's from time to time, but not only.
Try to fill the screen with content as much as you can during the first 200 hours.
mosh11's Avatar mosh11 04:32 AM 05-15-2012
hi all,

i have Samsung PS51D450 plasma screen , i leave it over night to run break-in slides for about 8 hours , but the problem is that this tv and i think samsung in general displays a black screen for about half a second between slides(the transition) , when i woke up and viewed channels from the satellite box through AV , i noticed a slightly transparent black screen flashing every 3 seconds , but after switching to usb and back again , it disappeared , could this be the problem of black screens between slides ?
idemedosumom's Avatar idemedosumom 05:02 PM 05-15-2012
Hello guys,

I recently bought a plasma tv (panasonic 42st50 EU model), this is my first plasma tv and I have question regarding ir/burn in, so here goes:

I've had the tv for about 20 days now. I didn't run any break-in slides. I wasn't really sure what image retention meant until I watched a whole football match, and after changing the channel I noticed a ghost-like image of the sports channel logo. I wasn't worried since it disappeared after watching a movie.

The problem started when my brother connected his ps3 to the tv and played fifa online for 3-4 hours (Image mode was set to gaming, default), and now the outline of the football pitch map is visible, but only when displaying white or other light colors, it's not visible when displaying black or dark colors.

I've watched a movie and it didn't clear up. I let my tv run a movie all night long in loop mode, but the pitch outline is still visible. How do I tell if this is burn in (permanent) or just a more persistent case of image retention?

What do you guys suggest I do to clear it up?
Any suggestions on how to avoid it in the future?

Thanks
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 12:46 AM 05-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by idemedosumom View Post

Hello guys,

I recently bought a plasma tv (panasonic 42st50 EU model), this is my first plasma tv and I have question regarding ir/burn in, so here goes:

I've had the tv for about 20 days now. I didn't run any break-in slides. I wasn't really sure what image retention meant until I watched a whole football match, and after changing the channel I noticed a ghost-like image of the sports channel logo. I wasn't worried since it disappeared after watching a movie.

The problem started when my brother connected his ps3 to the tv and played fifa online for 3-4 hours (Image mode was set to gaming, default), and now the outline of the football pitch map is visible, but only when displaying white or other light colors, it's not visible when displaying black or dark colors.

I've watched a movie and it didn't clear up. I let my tv run a movie all night long in loop mode, but the pitch outline is still visible. How do I tell if this is burn in (permanent) or just a more persistent case of image retention?

What do you guys suggest I do to clear it up?
Any suggestions on how to avoid it in the future?

Thanks

It will go away but it will take some time. Since it isn't visible with normal viewing it shouldn't be a problem. You will always get a little image retention but it is usually not visible with normal viewing. When your TV is used for gaming dial back the brightness and contrast to reduce the severity of potential IR. I would recommend avoiding the gaming mode altogether, it does nothing to improve game play anyway. It's just another picture setting.
80sGuy's Avatar 80sGuy 01:52 AM 05-16-2012
It's called "Heavy Image Retention" and it will take a good while for it to go away. Same thing happened with my TC-P42G25 (not from playing games) and it took 2-3 months! Just lower your brightness and contrast to 50% and watch TV regularly and soon you know it, it'll disappear. Mine's gone!

The key is to: fill the screen full with contents and try to avoid static logos and games on the first 200 hours.
idemedosumom's Avatar idemedosumom 03:57 AM 05-16-2012
Thanks for your reply guys,

what do you think about the black & white scrolling bars? Perhaps they could speed things up a bit?
jumpman23j's Avatar jumpman23j 09:43 AM 05-16-2012
Guys, I bought a display Samsung p51d450. So do I still need to break it in considering it's probably been running 12 hours a day for some time now? Thanks.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 01:17 PM 05-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman23j View Post

Guys, I bought a display Samsung p51d450. So do I still need to break it in considering it's probably been running 12 hours a day for some time now? Thanks.

No, break-in is not necessary. You won't gain any benefit from doing it.
jumpman23j's Avatar jumpman23j 08:50 PM 05-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

No, break-in is not necessary. You won't gain any benefit from doing it.

Cool, thanks!
Tom Riddle's Avatar Tom Riddle 07:46 PM 05-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by idemedosumom View Post

Hello guys,

I recently bought a plasma tv (panasonic 42st50 EU model), this is my first plasma tv and I have question regarding ir/burn in, so here goes:

I've had the tv for about 20 days now. I didn't run any break-in slides. I wasn't really sure what image retention meant until I watched a whole football match, and after changing the channel I noticed a ghost-like image of the sports channel logo. I wasn't worried since it disappeared after watching a movie.

The problem started when my brother connected his ps3 to the tv and played fifa online for 3-4 hours (Image mode was set to gaming, default), and now the outline of the football pitch map is visible, but only when displaying white or other light colors, it's not visible when displaying black or dark colors.

I've watched a movie and it didn't clear up. I let my tv run a movie all night long in loop mode, but the pitch outline is still visible. How do I tell if this is burn in (permanent) or just a more persistent case of image retention?

What do you guys suggest I do to clear it up?
Any suggestions on how to avoid it in the future?

Thanks

Like others have said this will go away with time. Out of curiosity, what settings did you use while running in loop mood? If I get persistent image retention, I put my set in torch mode and play a full screen movie and the image is gone.
BBDuke's Avatar BBDuke 10:24 PM 05-17-2012
Hey guys, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my first plasma tv this weekend, the Panasonic GT50. I've read through the thread and got some good insights on what to expect with the new tv, but I am still a little confused with the break-in and the necessary steps to take. Can someone kindly simplify all this for me?

-What settings do I need to put the plasma on and for how long?
-Can I put it in THX mode out of the gate?
-What are some of the things to look out for to prevent burn-in?
- Overall, what are the benefits of breaking in the tv?

Thanks for your time and help!
kris achar's Avatar kris achar 01:52 AM 05-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDuke View Post

Hey guys, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my first plasma tv this weekend, the Panasonic GT50. I've read through the thread and got some good insights on what to expect with the new tv, but I am still a little confused with the break-in and the necessary steps to take. Can someone kindly simplify all this for me?

-What settings do I need to put the plasma on and for how long?
-Can I put it in THX mode out of the gate?
-What are some of the things to look out for to prevent burn-in?
- Overall, what are the benefits of breaking in the tv?

Thanks for your time and help!

Hi,
For the first 200hrs or so,There will be mild IR now and then but nothing to worry,it will disappear as you are watching new or different content.And its advisable to keep brightness,contrast,Colour,Sharpness below the 50 mark.
But if it makes your tv watching experience difficult to the eyes just increase to a extent where the picture quality is acceptable !
And for 'BD content',If your tv and your BD player if its of the same brand,like panasonic has the viera link,the tv would most likely configure to cinema mode,and if you like the quality you can watch in that settings itself.But try not to watch 16:9 or 4:3 content with black bars.In those cases just switch to zoom1 mode or 4:3 full screen setting mode for the first 500hrs or about a year.Remember one thing is that when watching BD content or HD content through media player,you can go to coustom settings and set colour,brightness,contrast,sharpness to your liking,just do not pause the content for more than a minute,or run the tv with black bars for the first 200hrs.
And to run colour slides for the first 100hrs is recommended only for those who want to get their tv calibrated.And contrast,brightness,color & sharpness for running slide show,here also set it to levels where the colours do not bleed or spillover.Just set it using your eyes.But remember that the tv should not be left unattended for hours together.Since due to any glitch if the tv remains in a particular colour it is also not good for the panel.
Personally,i do not recommended color slides,but if you intended doing so,these is no harm either.And if you are watching tv programs with logos and news stickers and sports channel with scoreboard,then try to keep changing channels for every 30 to 45 minutes regularly for the first 200hrs or 6months of regular tv usage.
And you asked about THX mode,yes you can use it for BD content & also for HD content from media players.But i will not recomend it for watching HD TV programs with logos.
And never treat a plasma as a LCD tv or CRT monitor.you will get IR,sometimes stubborn IR.
Use it wisely and in return get years of great viewing with terrific picture quality....

Here's a useful video link !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiuL8...eature=related

Love,
kris.
brody76's Avatar brody76 07:38 AM 05-18-2012
Just put some slides in torch mode a few hours per day and you'll be done with the break-in period in about 2 months. It's not worth the hassle of watching distorted movies and having to zap every 15 seconds for 6 months to a year.

The slides have been working very well, and a lot members here have used it on various plasmas without an issue. Just keep an eye on it in case it goes back to the menu or freeze.
idemedosumom's Avatar idemedosumom 02:13 PM 05-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Like others have said this will go away with time. Out of curiosity, what settings did you use while running in loop mood? If I get persistent image retention, I put my set in torch mode and play a full screen movie and the image is gone.

I cranked both contrast and brightness to max levels, so torch mode I guess. I already let it run for two nights (not continuously, my wife turned the tv off during the day), but IR is still visible with white or basically any light one colored backgrounds.

Its fairly impossible to see it when watching regular tv and movies, but still, it bugs me. I sure hope it will clear up with time...

http://www.minifridge24.com/


kris achar's Avatar kris achar 11:59 PM 05-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by idemedosumom View Post

I cranked both contrast and brightness to max levels, so torch mode I guess. I already let it run for two nights (not continuously, my wife turned the tv off during the day), but IR is still visible with white or basically any light one colored backgrounds.

Its fairly impossible to see it when watching regular tv and movies, but still, it bugs me. I sure hope it will clear up with time...

You mentioned mild IR is still visible,is it channel logo or from gaming ? If you keep feeding your plasma with same content that created that IR in the first place.I doubt your IR will disappear completely.
And running slides to remove IR is a mere waste of time.Just watch HD TV without channel logos,leave the tv running with such content for 6 to 8 hours a day at a stretch.In 3 to 4 days that IR will disappear.
And watch action movies and content with fast moving frames and where colours splash and images so lively.Will help your tv clean up quite fast.

Never leave you plasma tv unattended especially during night time.If you are going to bed,switch it off.In the name of cleaning the IR don't waste Elec power.Use your tv to view programs of your choice and taste.If it has logos just switch to zoom one mode or change the channel every 30 minutes or so.Since most of the episodes & soaps run for duration of 30 minutes with lots of adds inbetween.

love,
kris.
idemedosumom's Avatar idemedosumom 03:57 AM 05-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris achar View Post

You mentioned mild IR is still visible,is it channel logo or from gaming ? If you keep feeding your plasma with same content that created that IR in the first place.I doubt your IR will disappear completely.
And running slides to remove IR is a mere waste of time.Just watch HD TV without channel logos,leave the tv running with such content for 6 to 8 hours a day at a stretch.In 3 to 4 days that IR will disappear.
And watch action movies and content with fast moving frames and where colours splash and images so lively.Will help your tv clean up quite fast.

Never leave you plasma tv unattended especially during night time.If you are going to bed,switch it off.In the name of cleaning the IR don't waste Elec power.Use your tv to view programs of your choice and taste.If it has logos just switch to zoom one mode or change the channel every 30 minutes or so.Since most of the episodes & soaps run for duration of 30 minutes with lots of adds inbetween.

love,
kris.

The ir is from gaming, my brother played fifa for a few days, maybe 2-3 hours each time, but since I noticed the severity of the ir there has been no gaming. I think I'll try playing avatar in 1080p, that ought to be colorful enough! I'm just afraid that this ir doesn't turn out to be permanent burn in. That would mean I screwed my first plasma up in less than a month

Thanks for your reply kris, love right back at ya,

harun
kris achar's Avatar kris achar 08:59 AM 05-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by idemedosumom View Post

The ir is from gaming, my brother played fifa for a few days, maybe 2-3 hours each time, but since I noticed the severity of the ir there has been no gaming. I think I'll try playing avatar in 1080p, that ought to be colorful enough! I'm just afraid that this ir doesn't turn out to be permanent burn in. That would mean "I screwed my first plasma up in less than a month"

Thanks for your reply kris, love right back at ya,

harun

Hi,
If your tv is just one month old and you have IR,it seems to be perfectly normal.you want believe if i say i used to get menu screen of the Tv as IR for the first 150 to 200hrs.And me and my wife used our tv for about 6 to 8 hours a day viewing DTH-HD content,like episodes,Drama,Soaps,etc.Since most of the channels did have logos,we used the zoom one mode.Since the content was HD there was not much of fall in picture clarity !So we did not get any Stubborn IR.And Even while watching BD content,I used to use the zoom one mode if the content had black bars at the top & bottom of the screen.
Now our tv is about one year old and i view content with channel logos and news stickers and sports scoreboard & 16:9 BD content with black bars,result i do get very mild IR which vanishes on viewing other contents say in 2 to 5 minutes time.
So for one year use it gently as i have said,then you need not pamper it anymore.But one thing is sure is that if you keep watching the same content with logos 24x7 for a year.Then there are chances of getting stubborn IR is totally inevitable in plasma tv's.

Love,
kris.
Jawzey's Avatar Jawzey 06:47 PM 05-20-2012
I'm on the verge of buying the 42UT50. But this burn in stuff is kinda scaring me more than I expected it to. I want to use the TV for gaming and watching sports, and I know for a fact that there are static logo's on the channels I watch for sports and in my games. Can someone help me out here and explain to me how IR is in 2012? Thanks
emperor887's Avatar emperor887 12:37 PM 05-22-2012
Hi everyone,

i just bought a new Panasonic plasma 50" TV that i should be getting tomorrow.
I've been reading a lot about the break in DVD and other methods, so here's what i have in mind, i would really like to hear what you guys think.

1) setting my contrast/brightness = 50%.
2) turning the viewing mode to full or zoom to avoid black bars.
3) putting on Seinfeld series and let it run from season 1 to 9 which is about 60 hours and rewind some seasons to get the 100 hours mark.
p.s: Seinfeld has no logos whatsoever.


Should i do that or use the break in DVD? Also, are there any other settings to adjust for the break in period such as sharpness,color and pixel orbiter or just contrast and brightness?


thanks a lot
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 08:00 PM 05-23-2012
I just don't understand how so many people say gaimg is okay on plasmas. Just over the weekend a Best Buy employee told me that the new plasmas are fantastic for gaming, yet so many people seem to have a big problem with image retention and gaming. If even tv logos are an issue, which is rather unavoidable if you or your loved one tends to watch a lot of network shows, then I just don't see how gaming can be safe in any way, shape or form. I'd love to be able to game on my new E8000 but honestly I'd be scared to death. I'm worried enough as it is about letterboxing and logos, but I'm not about to stop watching all our regular programming just because we own a plasma. But gaming sounds scary. Lag might be great but image retention sounds like too much of a risk for me to take.
Tom Riddle's Avatar Tom Riddle 08:25 PM 05-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I just don't understand how so many people say gaimg is okay on plasmas. Just over the weekend a Best Buy employee told me that the new plasmas are fantastic for gaming, yet so many people seem to have a big problem with image retention and gaming. If even tv logos are an issue, which is rather unavoidable if you or your loved one tends to watch a lot of network shows, then I just don't see how gaming can be safe in any way, shape or form. I'd love to be able to game on my new E8000 but honestly I'd be scared to death. I'm worried enough as it is about letterboxing and logos, but I'm not about to stop watching all our regular programming just because we own a plasma. But gaming sounds scary. Lag might be great but image retention sounds like too much of a risk for me to take.

Gaming is not okay on a new plasma if their are HUD's that will be present all the time. Gaming on a plasma that has been aged is perfectly okay. IR lessens as the phosphors age and the possibility of burn-in is drastically reduced. If you follow the break-in slides and continue to monitor your IR you will know when it is okay to start pushing your tv.
brody76's Avatar brody76 08:42 PM 05-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Gaming is not okay on a new plasma if their are HUD's that will be present all the time. Gaming on a plasma that has been aged is perfectly okay. IR lessens as the phosphors age and the possibility of burn-in is drastically reduced. If you follow the break-in slides and continue to monitor your IR you will know when it is okay to start pushing your tv.

That has been aged, I agree.

But some people seem to buy plasma for computer and video game usage exclusively.

That's looking for trouble.

Then they're gonna run on the internet, find the first "AV" forum, and post about how horrible plasma TV's are, hence the bad reputation of plasmas.

Nimrods.
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 08:57 PM 05-23-2012
To be honest I'm surprised these plasmas come with a built-in browser. That just seems likely to promote bad behavior. Something else the Best Buy salesman promoted to me when I was looking at the E8000 over the weekend.

I think sales people like that really don't help the situation with image retention confusion. If I didn't know any better about plasmas (like many who aren't aware of this forum or image retention in general) I would have bought the set thinking I could just come home and start surfing with the built-in browser and fire up my gaming, unaware of the precautions I should take.

I don't think people can be blamed for not understanding these things up front, since so many times the sales people add to the misinformation. True, there's lots of information on this online, but for many who are just walking in off the street and trusting the salespeople, there's always a chance they will be misinformed, especially from some of the big-box retailers who just don't know these things.

Not every customer is a tech-head - many, if not most, just want a nice looking tv, and think the sales people are actually the ones to talk to about any questions they might have. That doesn't make them nimrods necessarily - just uninformed for trusting the salespeople, who are often the real nimrods.

Neither my girlfriend nor her folks are nimrods, but neither had any concept of what image retention was or that plasmas could get it, because why would they know if they never owned one?
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 06:41 AM 05-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I just don't understand how so many people say gaimg is okay on plasmas. Just over the weekend a Best Buy employee told me that the new plasmas are fantastic for gaming, yet so many people seem to have a big problem with image retention and gaming. If even tv logos are an issue, which is rather unavoidable if you or your loved one tends to watch a lot of network shows, then I just don't see how gaming can be safe in any way, shape or form. I'd love to be able to game on my new E8000 but honestly I'd be scared to death. I'm worried enough as it is about letterboxing and logos, but I'm not about to stop watching all our regular programming just because we own a plasma. But gaming sounds scary. Lag might be great but image retention sounds like too much of a risk for me to take.

I game on my Pioneer Plasma, and I play the same game for 8 hours + which has a bright red health bar and a bright blue mana bar, plus the mini-map, etc. No issues or problems, no IR, incredible set.
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 11:53 AM 05-24-2012
No kidding? That sounds promising then. Maybe after I have a few hundred hours on the set I'll be okay for gaming then. Thanks for your input.
JohnnytheSkin's Avatar JohnnytheSkin 12:17 PM 05-24-2012
And yet I played Mass Effect 3 with a HUD that goes away during cutscenes and exploration (at least half of the game if not more) and I have burn-in from the weapon windows despite only playing two hours max at a time, with plenty of other content and slides in between, all this after putting over 1000 hours on my VT30 and have used DNice's settings exclusively and of course have the orbiter on.

It's a problem, it's a bunch of BS, and I'm ****ing livid over this crap when I babied my new plasma and yet still have this crap occur.
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 12:18 PM 05-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

And yet I played Mass Effect 3 with a HUD that goes away during cutscenes and exploration (at least half of the game if not more) and I have burn-in from the weapon windows despite only playing two hours max at a time, with plenty of other content and slides in between, all this after putting over 1000 hours on my VT30 and have used DNice's settings exclusively and of course have the orbiter on.

It's a problem, it's a bunch of BS, and I'm ****ing livid over this crap when I babied my new plasma and yet still have this crap occur.

Which Plasma did you purchase? Did it come with any kind or orbiter?
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 02:41 PM 05-24-2012
I really don't think imo the pixel orbiters do much good. Randy has said they aren't very effective, and if you think about it, it makes sense that they wouldn't do much, since it just shifts things around a few pixels - most logos, tickers, weapons, HUDs, scores, etc take up more pixels than can be affected by shifting. Personally I think it's a gimmick to make it look like they're addressing the issue of image retention.

Channel logos take up a fairly large little corner of the screen in some cases - far more than a pixel orbiter can shift.
tfoltz's Avatar tfoltz 02:56 PM 05-24-2012
Gimmick or not, I enjoy the orbiter. I game heavily on a 50px80u and 65st30 and haven't had severe image retention on either. I could just have good luck, but I won't take my chances.
Tags: Samsung Hpt4254 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro110 Pro 110fd Pro 110fd Tv Pro110 Kuro 50 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
First ... 122  123  124 125  126  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop